Offsetting BRISKODA's environmental impact, or planting trees for posts

ColinD

• ColinD pinned and featured this topic

nice one. 

i may add a few trees to the brisky forest. 

when its matured a bit, you can go and put some retro stickers on some trees, and install a "Brisky Cyclists" off road cycle track :D

• Like 1

• Administrators

Chaps, thanks you, an excellent start.

IIRC data center, the internet, as a whole is more co2 than international air travel. But I don't see anyone giving up cat videos or faceache before a long haul flight to barbados. So it is a problem, in my mind. 

There are places like Iceland where it's co2 Neutral power. Except a lot of the capacity is gobble up by crypto miners, so you can have a rubbish facility for quite a few pennies. There are a number in the UK who are at least going in the right direction. Our present hoost isn't, but acknowledges they do need to do better. I have a few pages of notes for a possible more, but it needs to be for all the right reasons etc

The uk plantation, costs a bit more, 3.40 per tree! You do get a geocode location so you can look at it from space! Plus a few other goodies like helping out if you want... I'll find out more.

The non uk, you can plant far more per £...

I got waylaid tonight by email updates, a rash of spam complaints and bad emails. I guess after 18years the odd very old topic gets replied to and it's a slew of duff accounts to sort out.

More, tomorrow at least now, possibly friday. That's the day I spend on the site now, or try to.

Edited by ColinD
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Rustynuts said:

Could there be a link up into the forum software to have a "Tree" icon next to your username perhaps? Like next to the "Freedom" moniker.

i like this. it would encourage others to join in too. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • Administrators
On 19/07/2020 at 18:17, Rustynuts said:

Could there be a link up into the forum software to have a "Tree" icon next to your username perhaps? Like next to the "Freedom" moniker.

Yes. I'll do this today. I was chatting with their founder about a few things, partly to make this sort of thing easier.

I'll do it one of two ways, I either manually do it, or you can add a link to your trees, each planting has it's own url, eg. https://ecologi.com/briskoda?tree=5f11e3f363ccdd0018d9bef8 is @Rustynuts

However some trees will be anonymous, which I suspect is what happened with @Robjon and a couple of others e.g. https://ecologi.com/briskoda?tree=5f12c6d7f13cb80017343247

• Thanks 1

• ColinD changed the title to Offsetting BRISKODA's environmental impact, or planting trees for posts
  • Administrators

So I've added a new profile field. It's a bit tricky, so I'll do manually per planting cycle. You can't edit it, only I can.

You'll see it under your profile and along side content you post: Ecologi: My Trees.

I might alter it slightly during the day. It will open your trees in a new window. 

What I may alter it to is a link to a page with people on, which will also link to your trees. See, if, you brought more next week, you'd have two... three and so on. So a page showing planters, and then maybe a link, might be easier. But that's a future problem.

• Thanks 3

Well I always do my bit for the planet by always walking to the local shops to buy food and swapping our tyres around rather than drive to a tyre fitter. Even going to recycle @penguin17 Michelin used tyres that he fitted to his Superb 280 before deciding to buy his Golf R estate instead. My days on Brisky are now  limited inorder to save the planet's electricity for those driving Tesla's, Zoe's and Corsa E's. Good luck with the tree planting and general looking after the planet as we only had one last time I checked. Recent trip to Lake District and Scotland consumed £59.93 of Tesco's Finest Momentum and we walked 16 miles in total and left the car parked at the Hotel.:thumbup:

Edited by shyVRS245
missing word

for just a moment, id forgotten this was moved out of Freedom section, and when i saw Shy's name on the notification i thought he had finally, actually followed through on what said he said to @john999boy a frw weeks/months ago joining freedom if he hit "x" number of likes/posts. 

but no. . tis a shame :D

• Haha 4

• Administrators

Thank you to the two mystery planters ;)

In the shop is a good idea... except, any transaction I take, has a cost, which I would then need to take or top up on the other side. That is I would not seek to profit from this.

However a tree package might appear :) Like a gold to a bronze and silver. In that sense I don't mind covering the transactions costs, it's only pennies.

Got a full day tomorrow, but will see... full if I don't get a good wind behind me on the updates/changes I need to do. Add MaximusPeddalousGufforia to the swear filter ;)

But so far, wow... as always, impressed by the generosity & support of our community members, even in these tough times.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, ColinD said:

Add MaximusPeddalousGufforia to the swear filter ;)

i dont get this reference, but thats okay.

good luck with the busy day!!!

• Like 1