Android 10 Stereo £162 AliExpress gamble! Results:

12 minutes ago, nickytheshaft said:

WAGSTER, could you check if you have power on the factory usb port?

The provides cable has 4 pins with Data / ground / 5v.

If you have power on the pi,s of the factory usb (as it seems to be provided from the harness) , the solution may be just stripping the wires from the provided cable and connecting the ground and 5V to the data. 

The cable would then provide only data on the 4 pins leaving the power to be provided by the factory harness.

The 5v and ground cables are wired from the quadlock connector to the factory usb on the 2 pins on the external of the factory usb connector, the unit in the glovebox supplies the 5v and ground when the quadlock is connected to the unit in the glovebox but as you know by fitting a new head unit results in the unit in the glovebox not being connected in any way so, the only way to get the 5v and ground to the correct pins on the factory usb using the existing factory wiring is to rewire the iso harness that comes with the new head unit to add the 5v and ground to the corresponding pins on the iso harness to mate with Quadlock connector.

My plan will be once I get the full quadlock spare parts is to use the 4cpin JCT to female usb cable that was supplied with the new head unit, strip back the JCT end and cut the 5v and ground cable, connect the cut 5v and ground cable from the JCT connector and wire that into the 2 corresponding pins on the iso harness to match up with the existing pins on the quadlock connector which will supply the 5v and ground directly to the factory USB and leaving the 2 data signal cables as they are. I will then connect the Fakra to USB male lead to the yellow Fakra connector and then connect the female USB to it where it only has the 2 data signals still wired. This should hopefully then provide power and data to the factory USB.

Hope that all makes sense. 

16 minutes ago, wagster said:

The 5v and ground cables are wired from the quadlock connector to the factory usb on the 2 pins on the external of the factory usb connector, the unit in the glovebox supplies the 5v and ground when the quadlock is connected to the unit in the glovebox but as you know by fitting a new head unit results in the unit in the glovebox not being connected in any way so, the only way to get the 5v and ground to the correct pins on the factory usb using the existing factory wiring is to rewire the iso harness that comes with the new head unit to add the 5v and ground to the corresponding pins on the iso harness to mate with Quadlock connector.

My plan will be once I get the full quadlock spare parts is to use the 4cpin JCT to female usb cable that was supplied with the new head unit, strip back the JCT end and cut the 5v and ground cable, connect the cut 5v and ground cable from the JCT connector and wire that into the 2 corresponding pins on the iso harness to match up with the existing pins on the quadlock connector which will supply the 5v and ground directly to the factory USB and leaving the 2 data signal cables as they are. I will then connect the Fakra to USB male lead to the yellow Fakra connector and then connect the female USB to it where it only has the 2 data signals still wired. This should hopefully then provide power and data to the factory USB.

Hope that all makes sense. 

Yes perfect sens. 

Well I hope you get you quadlock soon. 

My unit is taking ages to get to France....

Evening guys, 

So I have come to the already discovered conclusion that the mic on the head unit is ****e. 

What are the recommendations for a half decent one. All the ones I've seen are Aux, and I don't think my unit has an Aux port. 

On 17/03/2021 at 14:49, FUBAR said:

Small update as have now gone back in and put a generic external microphone in place. I opted not to put it behind the trim where factory one is as it's blanked off on driver side and didn't think it would work too well being essentially in a lunchbox (cable routed up directly into head lining behind mics boom so out of sight, across and down behind passenger pillar trim in and across etc. 3 meter cable on mic was perfect with about 20cm to spare (was slightly worried). As everything is black up top I just stuck it on its swivel mount on top of rear view mirror and it's working perfectly on test call after. 

Also had a play in menus and found a big list of boot screen logos to choose from inc a Skoda one, but can also upload anything I want, so will get a newer Skoda logo I think or a vRS one or something. Then I noticed the menu for steering wheel controls and I can remap any key function to do whatever I want it to, that's pretty nifty. 

Mic 2.jpg

Mic 3.jpg

Mic 4.jpg

Logo.jpg

SWC.jpg

13 minutes ago, Lamont1980 said:

Evening guys, 

So I have come to the already discovered conclusion that the mic on the head unit is ****e. 

What are the recommendations for a half decent one. All the ones I've seen are Aux, and I don't think my unit has an Aux port. 

The above is what mine looked like and what I used. 

11 minutes ago, wagster said:

Did you get this lead as it has the mic jack on it that that you plug an external mic into and connects to the head unit.

20211216_204544.jpg

I don't think I did tbh, but I'll check my glove box in the morning incase I've put them in there out of the way. They aren't in the box the stereo came in. 

Would they plug into the top line of ports in the back of the head unit?

2 minutes ago, Lamont1980 said:

I don't think I did tbh, but I'll check my glove box in the morning incase I've put them in there out of the way. They aren't in the box the stereo came in. 

Would they plug into the top line of ports in the back of the head unit?

If it is the same as mine then it goes in the bottom ports

20211203_101637.jpg

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, nickytheshaft said:

A question though. 

Once the unit is in place, how do you get it out? There is no space to insert the extraction tools and the clips are plastic

Mine just pulls out again easily gripped from bottom. Does click into place when pressing in, but can just pop back out if pulled.

24 minutes ago, nickytheshaft said:

A question though. 

Once the unit is in place, how do you get it out? There is no space to insert the extraction tools and the clips are plastic

There are 2 slots at the top above the screen that you use some radio extraction keys with and then you pull out from the top and lift. 

15 minutes ago, wagster said:

There are 2 slots at the top above the screen that you use some radio extraction keys with and then you pull out from the top and lift. 

Saw the slots in the install vid one which was 2gb/32gb, but my one has none. 

55 minutes ago, nickytheshaft said:

Same for me, no slots

20211217_141407.thumb.jpg.3188e5debbd2c4b9686c40388b2654c8.jpg

That's interesting as mine are there.

2 hours ago, nickytheshaft said:

A question though. 

20211217_141225.jpg

7 minutes ago, wagster said:

That's interesting as mine are there.

20211217_141225.jpg

This is strange, your frame is bigger than mine. Mine is flush juste over the top if the unit.

Either my frame is too small for my car, either your unit is smaller than mine...

I must check this

9 minutes ago, nickytheshaft said:

I don't have the infotainment menu...

Got pictures of the main android menu?