TMC traffic events no longer being received...firmware update required?

8 minutes ago, Rapidd said:

Finally had a reply from "Skoda auto" they are aware of the issue and will reply. At least they have admitted the issue, unlike RRG and Lookers

It'd be nice if they'd acknowledge a few more of the queries/problems that are frequently raised on this & other sites. 

For a gigantic multi-national group I'd have to give them, on a scale of 1 - 10, a minus score for their efforts to help & support their customers.

• Like 1

I don't know whether it is linked but I used my stand alone Garmin SatNav last week for the first time in over 6 months and it did not pick up any traffic data on the drive from Manchester to London, via Milton Keynes, and back. It normally shows a Green/Amber/Red circle in the top left of the screen to indicate a clear run or any problems but nothing showed up. I was annoyed as I spent about 3 hours stuck on the A3 last Friday afternoon due to an accident and it did not warn me at all!

Just to confirm,  INRIX are definitely the current supplier of RDS TMC FM in the UK at the present time.

I have been discussing the issue with them and they tell me that their systems are working correctly........

Screenshot_20230502_230519_Chrome.jpg

Great work on digging into this guys.

My only concern here is if MIB3 is unaffected by this VAG might play the obsolescence card on MIB2.5 and MIB2 when all it would need is a change of configuration to listen to and decrypt INRIX.

2 hours ago, John1701 said:

Great work on digging into this guys.

My only concern here is if MIB3 is unaffected by this VAG might play the obsolescence card on MIB2.5 and MIB2 when all it would need is a change of configuration to listen to and decrypt INRIX.

I think you are spot on and Audi will plead the same with their old MMI 3 units. Nobody at Audi will admit to the problem and keep insisting I take my car in even though I have explained that the problem is not unique to my car.

3 hours ago, John1701 said:

They played the obsolescence card on the MIB1 units when new maps stopped being uploaded 5 years after they were no longer used in production, so they have a history of obsolescence.

Since INRIX say they are still broadcasting the TMC data it would be interesting to see the TMC related adaptation channels in a MIB2 unit and compare them to the equivalent ones in a unit that is still receiving TMC data, here's the onkly onw I can see in my MIB2 Amundsen:

"IDE05111-Fee-based traffic information (TMC)" is set to 1023

Surely if they say it’s obsolete then they will have to upgrade all our devices so it works? No where in any of the manuals does it say TMC will cease to work from March 2023.

I’m already going through Skoda UK about something completely different, otherwise I’d chip in but don’t want to annoy them just yet

1 hour ago, Arthur124 said:

Just to remind everyone,  this issue is not limited to Skoda or VAG.

Honda owners are reporting same problem. As am I, a Fiat owner.

I'm surprised its not mentioned on other non manufacturer specific forums yet -  HonestJohn etc

Edited by bigjohn

On 02/05/2023 at 16:24, Rapidd said:

Finally had a reply from "Skoda auto" they are aware of the issue and will reply. At least they have admitted the issue, unlike RRG and Lookers

Positive that they're at least aware of the issue now. I really hope someone has more luck than me in getting them to escalate the issue appropriately so that something can actually be done. 

On 02/05/2023 at 16:24, Rapidd said:

Positive that they're at least aware of the issue now. I really hope someone has more luck than me in getting them to escalate the issue appropriately so that something can actually be done. 

On 02/05/2023 at 23:12, Arthur124 said:

Just to confirm,  INRIX are definitely the current supplier of RDS TMC FM in the UK at the present time.

I have been discussing the issue with them and they tell me that their systems are working correctly........

Screenshot_20230502_230519_Chrome.jpg

Is it still sent via Classic FM?

Thanks Derek. I think I will see if I can get someone to do a VCDS check on my car just in case there is a setting that needs altering as I always get good reception on Classic but the TMC symbol drifts between active and line through which I guess means the MMI is not getting a good enough signal to work correctly. 

27 minutes ago, Hillbilly23 said:

Thanks Derek. I think I will see if I can get someone to do a VCDS check on my car just in case there is a setting that needs altering as I always get good reception on Classic but the TMC symbol drifts between active and line through which I guess means the MMI is not getting a good enough signal to work correctly. 

Are you saying that currently you are sometimes getting Traffic alerts and that the TMC signal is sometimes active or was that before March 2023?   I am in Cheshire and there is nothing and I have been down to Kent over a long weekend and still nothing.  

Hi Derek. What happens with my MMI3G Basic is as follows. If I get in the car, start  it up and go to the map view the TMC symbol is always crossed out. Yesterday I drove to the local garage/post office and for the last half mile the cross disappeared. On the way back it became crossed out again roughly at the same point. Later I drove to the tip in Leek and back with TP crossed out all the time. Two days ago  I drove to Rudyard lake and TMC was crossed out. On the way back taking a different route the cross out went until I was stationary at a roadworks when after a couple of minutes it became crossed out again without moving. Another instance of the problem was when driving back down the M6 from the Lake District it was active and I was warned of big 45 minute hold ups around junction 16/17 area due to an accident and lane closures. It told me it was working out a new route but then said there was not one available. Clearly this was wrong as I left the M6 at junction 18 and drove home via Congleton then over the tops to Ruston and home to Cheddleton with only light traffic. Even at this point there were no TMC messages shown on pressing the INFO button where they used to be. I am really puzzled by this as Derek has said that INRIX say the information is still being sent via Classic FM.

5 minutes ago, Arthur124 said:

To confirm,  I've had nothing through TMC since mid March, except when I was in France/Belgium early April where it works absolutely fine.

Interesting that it switched to pick up the France/Belgium service. That would imply that if it was switched to a different FM service in the UK it should work. Inrix haven't said if VAG pay them to use the service (they can't do it for free), maybe the SatNav devices can check a "paid" flag in the data.  

49 minutes ago, Hillbilly23 said:

There are two TMC providers in the UK:

- INRIX who broadcast via Classic FM

- Trafficmaster who broadcast on various local/regional stations

VAG use Trafficmaster for TMC over FM in the UK which has now been turned off. They haven't got the licence to use INRIX afaik...

VAG need to decide where they want to get TMC data from and then roll out an update to switch to it. This may involve paying INRIX for their service or switching to TMC/TPEG over DAB but it's down to VAG :)

Once they've decided, it might be possible via a map update to switch over but I'm not sure...

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, langers2k said:

There are two TMC providers in the UK:

- INRIX who broadcast via Classic FM

- Trafficmaster who broadcast on various local/regional stations

VAG use Trafficmaster for TMC over FM in the UK which has now been turned off. They haven't got the licence to use INRIX afaik...

VAG need to decide where they want to get TMC data from and then roll out an update to switch to it. This may involve paying INRIX for their service or switching to TMC/TPEG over DAB but it's down to VAG :)

Once they've decided, it might be possible via a map update to switch over but I'm not sure...

So it looks like we are dependant on the VAG group getting their wallet out then.