Quiet tyre recommendations?

I know this is a very personal choice thing,as people often want different things from tyres(economy/handling/refinement etc),but was just wondering if anyone has recommendations for a quiet tyre? Im no racing driver,more of a cruiser than anything,so appreciate the refinement of a comfortable,quiet tyre more.

I currently have Pirelli P7's,which dont seem overly popular. I cant really say ive ever had any issue with these,as the last pair i had to replace lasted 28k on my previous mk3. Quite happy with the handling/economy/mileage etc,however i do find them to be quite a bit noisier than id like.

Does anyone have any suggestions for a comfortable riding,quiet tyre?

Thanks in advance!😁

27 minutes ago, T5DKO said:

Does anyone have any suggestions for a comfortable riding, quiet tyre?

What size are the tyres?

Thanks. AG Falco

2 hours ago, T5DKO said:

Does anyone have any suggestions for a comfortable riding, quiet tyre?

215/60R16 is a more comfortable and quieter tyre size than 235/40R19.

6.5Jx16 ET41 is the standard 16" rim size on the Superb MK3, but the similar 6Jx16 ET43 (from Karoq) would allow it to fit in the spare wheel well without raising the carpet using the standard 215/60R16 tyre size.

6Jx16 ET43 5/112 57.1 alloy rim NANUQ (from Karoq)

Alu kolo NANUQ 16" Karoq

https://eshop.skoda-auto.cz/cs_CZ/alu-kolo-nanuq-16-karoq/p/57A071496A+8Z8

Edited by Carlston

Generally all season tyres are quieter than firmer sport or Eco summer tyres, especially in colder weather.

The Pirelli Cintuarto all season SF2 has very quiet rating

Have heard good things about Falken euro all season AS210, some sizes are only 69db

I would guess the brand new Continental all season 2 might be worth a look (as version 1 was highly rated)

Not tried any of these though

Really if you want comfort rather than a firm ride, need to follow @Carlston advice above and look at smaller rims, with deeper tyres. The overall diameter will be similar.

• Like 1

What do we make of these Yokohama's touting 67db?

I was gonna go up to 45profiles to get what comfort I could from the 19's and these came up with 4-5db lower than most?

Screenshot_20230818-220836.png

19 minutes ago, Calskil said:

What do we make of these Yokohama's touting 67db?

I was gonna go up to 45profiles to get what comfort I could from the 19's and these came up with 4-5db lower than most?

As you can see in the chart below, 235/45R19 has an outside diameter 4.5% more than the standard 215/60R16 tyre size.

If you want 235/45, it would be better to go for 235/45R18 rather than 235/45R19.

I've added 245/45R18 and 245/40R19 to the chart, as some Superb MK3 owners have changed to those sizes. A 2.0% or 2.1% increase is far more modest than a 4.5% increase, so has the big advantage of running gearing that is a lot closer to how Skoda intended.

Outside diameter of tyres

215/60R16 664.4mm

245/45R18 677.7mm (+2.0%)

245/40R19 678.6mm (+2.1%)

235/45R19 694.1mm (+4.5%)

Edited by Carlston
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Carlston said:

215/60R16 is a more comfortable and quieter tyre size than 235/40R19.

I know you are super helpful with wheels/tyres but suggesting a drop to 16 from 19 inch rims is a bit extreme don't you think?

I've made a recent change to Goodyear Vector 4Seasons and I'm very happy thus far on the 19" rims. Have previously had them on 17 & 15 inch rims. Great tyre.

If they're too loud then turn up the radio :) 

1 hour ago, petrolcan said:

I know you are super helpful with wheels/tyres but suggesting a drop to 16 from 19 inch rims is a bit extreme don't you think?

Some owners have already made the change, and are very pleased with the much improved comfort, better fuel consumption, less tyre noise, less unsprung weight, etc.

The OP has pointed out that he isn't a racing driver and more of a cruiser. Unfortunately, many owners just don't realise how extreme some car manufacturers (including Skoda) are being in their choice of large diameter rims and rubber band tyres.

One Superb MK3 owner changed down to 17" wheels and was so pleased with the improvement in ride comfort that he then changed to 16". Surprise, surprise, the ride on the 16" wheels was even better than the 17" wheels.

In the 1960's there was huge development in car tyres. For example, the Jaguar E-Type went from cross-ply tyres when it first came out in 1961 to low profile 205/70R15 radial tyres in 1968. The entry level 215/60R16 tyres on the Superb MK3 would have been an absolute delight on this 144mph car, but they weren't available back then.

Notice in the chart below that 205/70R15 and 215/60R16 have about the same outside diameter.

205/70R15 668mm

215/60R16 664.4mm

Jaguar E-Type

undefined

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jaguar_E-Type#/media/File:Jaguar_E-Type_series_1_coupé_1964.jpg

Superb MK3 280HP 4x4 fitted with slightly oversize 245/45R18 tyres

1492093768_ZenithPlatinum.thumb.jpg.b6b18768cf22f5e0ca2da99b3286f3a4.jpg

Edited by Carlston
  • Like 1

Hi,thanks for your replies. I forgot to mention that I'm on 19" Trinity wheels. Tbh,I'm quite happy with the ride on these,I find it ok,especially with the DCC. It's more the tyre noise that's an issue for me. As someone suggested, I could always turn the radio up(fair comment I suppose😂),but just wondered if anyone was using a tyre that they would recommend for being quiet? You'd think in 2023 every tyre would be nice and quiet,wouldn't you?🤷‍♂️

It’s more about the depth of the sidewall and the density of the tyre compounds, which are the major contributor to the transmission of tyre roar into the cabin, not the year. Of course, alternatives are available for the owner to change if they wish.
Changing from the OE Pirelli P7’s to Conti All Season 2 has dramatically reduced the tyre roar into the cabin. Given they have the same profiles, the reduction is primarily due to the pliability of the tread vs the P7. And being newer, there’s that additional tread depth too. 

I had the same problem - the original Bridgestone Potenza were very noisy on my 19 inch wheels. Last year I changed them to Michelin cross climate 2s all season tyres to help with winter driving  and they have been great. What surprised me more was  quiet the general ride has been especially on wet roads

I was thinking of dropping down to 17 inch rims  now really glad I went to all season Michelin cross climates and kept the 19 inch rims 

We bought a Karoq Sportline in April with 19in Vega rims as standard. They were fitted with OEM Bridgestones which picked up every single bump or hole in the road; I was hoping to get used to them but Significant Other was constantly commenting on the ride. Advice on here was to fit smaller wheels but I liked the Vegas so instead fitted Michelin CrossClimates which have been an absolute revelation, chalk and cheese when compared to the Bridgestones. Have had CC on previous cars - Impreza, Forester, Freelander, so in varying sizes - and never had any issues

• Like 1

14 hours ago, petrolcan said:

The Superb comes with 4 sizes : 16, 17, 18, 19 inch, they are listed in attached

https://www.skoda.co.uk/_doc/639a0118-4da5-446b-a786-86e1f789b57b

I tend to be of opinion that middle size of 3, or nearest size below middle of 4 is the best one for overall comfort.  Anything above middle is more bling and vanity than everyday practicality.

So for Superb, 17 inch probably best overall in a country when roads are  often littered with potholes, and are not billiard table smooth.  They tyres are lot cheaper too.

6 hours ago, T5DKO said:

Hi,thanks for your replies. I forgot to mention that I'm on 19" Trinity wheels. Tbh,I'm quite happy with the ride on these,I find it ok,especially with the DCC. It's more the tyre noise that's an issue for me. As someone suggested, I could always turn the radio up(fair comment I suppose😂),but just wondered if anyone was using a tyre that they would recommend for being quiet? You'd think in 2023 every tyre would be nice and quiet,wouldn't you?🤷‍♂️

The latest Continental AllSeasonContact 2 is now available from mytyres in the slightly oversize 245/40R19. However, as it has only just come out the price may drop over the next month or two as other online sellers such as camskill also start to receive stock.

I can't see it listed in the standard 19" size yet, ie. 235/40R19.

Even if it's only a small improvement over the previous highly rated AllSeasonContact, it going to be very good.

Compared to the standard 235/40R19 size, the slightly oversize 245/40R19 has an outside diameter 1.2% larger...which is such a small change that you might not even notice the difference. Put another way, when the 245/40R19 has just 4mm of tread wear it will have exactly the same outside diameter as a new 235/40R19.

235/40R19 670.6mm

245/40R19 678.6mm (+1.2%)

Continental AllSeasonContact 2 245/40R19 96Y XL (Euro label B B 71dB) (the tyre size shown in the below photo is a slightly smaller 225/45R17)

continental__allseasoncontact-2__productpicture__30.png

https://www.mytyres.co.uk/rshop/tyre/Continental/AllSeasonContact-2/245-40-R19-98Y-XL-EVc/D-128031

Edited by Carlston

It's worth pointing out, again, that the decibels on a tyre label are measured as drive-by noise from outside the car, and don't necessarily relate to tyre noise inside the car. I do wonder, in my simple way, if "arrow" tread pattern tyres are quieter inside the car by virtue of the air compressed by the rolling tyre is expelled sideways rather than into the wheel arches ?

If this constitutes a remarkably stupid suggestion, please don't give me a hard time. It's just that many winter/all season tyres which people claim to be quieter have these directional tread patterns.

• Like 2

Our 2018 Superb 1.4 tsi came and still on original P7 tyres 235 45 18 with DCC

Yes, they are a bit noisy and a bit harsh on the typical UK stone chip tarmaced roads. Occasionally very noisy. Yet on smooth tarmac roads they are very quiet, sadly not too many of those surfaces around the UK although lots of roads are smooth tarmac in harsh summer/winter climate European countries.

BUT at over 48,000 miles and 5½ years and lots and mainly high speed motorway journeys, they are still in prime condition, no cracking visible, even wear both sides and .....

Front tyres tread depth

2.7mm in central groove

3.9mm in side grooves

Back tyres tread depth

5.1mm all grooves

They seemed to have become quieter over time and rolling resistance is very good, contributing to excellent mpg. Handling seems fine and very stable maxed out at 134mph on German Autobahns.

Surprising durability for such a large car and given its useage.

Edited by xman

Some good feedback for the Michelin Cross Climate 2's. Could be a possibility. Good reviews online for them too.

It's been a while since I had my Mk 3 and moved to a Merc E class. I am now looking to move back to a Superb. Should never have switched in the first place 😕

Mine his P zeros on and I switched them for Uniroyal Rain Sport 3s ( as they were at the time , they since by superseded by the 5s) but they was noticeably quieter and had a more comfy ride.

My wife just replaced her tires on her VW for Hankook Ventus tyres and they are extremely quiet compared to the Bridgestone's that were on it before 

Not sure if that helps or not :)

Edited by Zenbasses
Typo

18 hours ago, T5DKO said:

Some good feedback for the Michelin Cross Climate 2's. Could be a possibility. Good reviews online for them too.

I bought mine a couple of months back through Camskill who had an offer on; combine that with a Michelin cashback offer of £15 a tyre that pretty much covered the fitting

I got advisories for wall cracking on the rear tyres. OEM tyres Hankook Ventus Prime 2, fitted in 2018 and covered 30500mls.  That seemed to be ok to me so have  fitted again and 67 db noise. I do under 5k a year so will last me out (79 next month)

The grip on the pirelli p7 and the rim protection are awesome (18inch).They are a bit noisy but small price to pay.

I went on a road trip through Bulgaria and Greece,3700 km of bad roads,very bad highway...I has angry as hell,total nightmare.You can barely tell if is Bulgaria or Ucraina on the roads.

Came back home straight to the best tyre shop in my country to check the wheels....I was shocked when the guy told me that the rims are perfectly straight.

Edited by IulianE

16 hours ago, BillyParker said:

I got advisories for wall cracking on the rear tyres. OEM tyres Hankook Ventus Prime 2, fitted in 2018 and covered 30500mls.  That seemed to be ok to me so have  fitted again and 67 db noise. I do under 5k a year so will last me out (79 next month)

The Hankook Ventus prime 4 is current version