Update to Version 1969

7 hours ago, darkmatterink said:

Hello guys.. I came across this post on a VW forum where some successfully updated but had to do an extra step using a OBD tool to fix software management error in control unit 5F

Did anyone here have to do it?

Here's the link to it 
https://www.vwvortex.com/threads/how-to-update-infotainment.9535048/post-116196522

I'll scan mine and check in the next day or two.

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

New Download Links:

I have uploaded the file to a couple of my cloud services, and no password is required.

Give them a try and let me know if they are working okay for you.  The first link will likely become unavailable when it hits a bandwidth limit so best to download ASAP.

https://e.pcloud.link/publink/show?code=XZVfN9Zh62r0cJ7y4YQMaldlQMJxbP78tTV

Hopefully this link should work okay:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1rT0eItntrx6zeUz0dMAnzpBKL5Ktswg7/view?usp=share_link

If requests become to much I will likely have to restrict downloads but for the time being I'll keep them live and un-restricted.

Edited by spcdust
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 14/04/2024 at 09:34, spcdust said:

Skoda now has a firmware update for the SOS / Telematics module which solves the issues and, it would seem, is no longer physically replacing the units.  I assume, originally, they hadn't formulated a fix so replacement was the only course of action available.  My module had the firmware updated and it went from crashing 8 out of 10 journeys to now being rock solid.

Agree with @Markeknows, now the software issues are sorted it's a great car.  Unfortunately, I think Skoda has damaged customers' trust and its reputation by initially releasing shoddy software and then taking a long time to sort it out.

Not a Skoda issue or a reason to be annoyed at them alone at all....... It's a VAG wide issue which has affected models across all the group's marques that use the same units and is why the CEO made a public apology. 😉

Edited by WaveyDavey

20 minutes ago, WaveyDavey said:

Not a Skoda issue or a reason to be annoyed at them alone at all....... It's a VAG wide issue which has affected models across all the group's marques that use the same units and is why the CEO made a public apology. 😉

The fact that it was a VAG-wide issue still doesn't excuse the problems people faced.  When someone pays £25,000+ for a new car and feels that they are Beta testers for badly implemented software, which is the centre of modern cars, that has multiple issues an apology, after the event, doesn't mean that much?  Reading through the forums the frustration experienced by people going back to dealers time after time seeking a fix and none being available due to the inordinate amount of time it took VAG to get a stable version released leads to a very poor customer experience.  It undoubtedly damages customer confidence and hurts brand reputation.

It's all pretty stable now and luckily I bought my Octavia last year so escaped the worst of it, although I had to actively get the software and firmware updated to get a stable system.  I love my Octavia but the damage to the Mk4 Ocvtavia reputation had already been done for many long-term Skoda customers.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, spcdust said:

The fact that it was a VAG-wide issue still doesn't excuse the problems people faced.  When someone pays £25,000+ for a new car and feels that they are Beta testers for badly implemented software, which is the centre of modern cars, that has multiple issues an apology, after the event, doesn't mean that much?  Reading through the forums the frustration experienced by people going back to dealers time after time seeking a fix and none being available due to the inordinate amount of time it took VAG to get a stable version released leads to a very poor customer experience.  It undoubtedly damages customer confidence and hurts brand reputation.

It's all pretty stable now and luckily I bought my Octavia last year so escaped the worst of it, although I had to actively get the software and firmware updated to get a stable system.  I love my Octavia but the damage to the Mk4 Ocvtavia reputation had already been done for many long-term Skoda customers.

I wasn't saying the fact it was a VAG wide issue excused the problems customers faced..... I was correcting your statement that "SKODA" had damaged customers trust by taking so long to remedy the issues when in fact it wasn't Skoda at all but VAG. In the same way it wasn't Cupra, Seat, VW or Audi taking too long to remedy the issues with the same Infotainment units in their vehicles around the world.

There's a hell of a lot more models than just the Skoda Octavia around the world that have had their reputations damaged by the whole issue.  ;)

Edited by WaveyDavey
  • Like 3

7 hours ago, spcdust said:

Be thankful that you're in a country where over-the-air-updates are supported. Skoda never implemented a system to update over home WiFi. It looks as though the bones of the function were built - as in I can scan for updates. But my car couldn't even stay connected to my home network until version 1949.

Instead we're forced to go through the dealer, and they only update modules in response to fault reports and not as a preventative measure. Luckily we've got between a 5 and 7 year warranty but it doesn't help you if your servicing dealer is incompetent or unhelpful.

Being able to complete these updates myself has been brilliant.

But I'll add that if you thought MIB3/MOI3 was broken, try using a RoW (Rest of the World) unit. It's like they designed MIB3 to be always online, then went back ad-hoc and removed functionality. For example, when they removed RDS-Traffic (as MIB1 - 2.5 had), we lost all traffic functionality from the Nav. You'd think they'd at least add the ability to use your phones data connection to replace some of these basic functions - similar to Ford Sync 3.

7 hours ago, aaaaplay said:

Be thankful that you're in a country where over-the-air-updates are supported. Skoda never implemented a system to update over home WiFi. It looks as though the bones of the function were built - as in I can scan for updates. But my car couldn't even stay connected to my home network until version 1949.

Instead we're forced to go through the dealer, and they only update modules in response to fault reports and not as a preventative measure. Luckily we've got between a 5 and 7 year warranty but it doesn't help you if your servicing dealer is incompetent or unhelpful.

Being able to complete these updates myself has been brilliant.

But I'll add that if you thought MIB3/MOI3 was broken, try using a RoW (Rest of the World) unit. It's like they designed MIB3 to be always online, then went back ad-hoc and removed functionality. For example, when they removed RDS-Traffic (as MIB1 - 2.5 had), we lost all traffic functionality from the Nav. You'd think they'd at least add the ability to use your phones data connection to replace some of these basic functions - similar to Ford Sync 3.

Totally agree. I dont see a logical explanation as to why they wont offer OTA updates for our regions... Im pretty sure  there are other firmware updates for rest of the control modules in our vehicles. But we will never know... 

8 hours ago, aaaaplay said:

So in the end, you have more than twice longer warranty than we have in Europe, and the situation with dealers and updates is exactly the same. Nothing to complain about, imo.

16 hours ago, Edela said:

So in the end, you have more than twice longer warranty than we have in Europe, and the situation with dealers and updates is exactly the same. Nothing to complain about, imo.

I'm not sure that you read my post?

We don't get Skoda Connect and any of the associated features. Unlike Europe, we're fully reliant on our dealers delivering updates or update files leaking online.

Europe gets regular map updates, traffic information, an app store, user profiles/personalisation, and most importantly over the air updates - even if they're delivered slowly.

14 hours ago, aaaaplay said:

and most importantly over the air updates - even if they're delivered slowly.

Idk what are those updates we get here in Europe. With all the SW problems I had I had to go to workshop and leave the car there for days or even weeks. And workshops had no clue how to fix those. So all in all there is no difference. Only very recently people with new cars started getting real SW updates, but that's minority of us.

8 hours ago, Edela said:

Idk what are those updates we get here in Europe.

So commenting when you actually have no idea. Fair enough.

Edited by aaaaplay

3 minutes ago, darkmatterink said:

Hey @aaaaplay Did you get a chance to check?

I had a Software Version Management code. I was able to clear the fault code from 5F and it didn't return.

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, aaaaplay said:

I had a Software Version Management code. I was able to clear the fault code from 5F and it didn't return.

There is no harm in just leaving the code yeah? I dont have access to a diagnostic tool at the moment. But everything seems to be working fine. 

13 hours ago, aaaaplay said:

So commenting when you actually have no idea. Fair enough.

Nope, what I'm saying is that you have no clue what are you talking about. The situation with SW and firmware updates here in Europe is exactly the same. Browse this forum and you'll see that we are all at mercy of incompetent workshops who refuse to update stuff even when updates are available. There are selected few with recent hardware who now got the opportunity to get SW updates OTA, but there are just a few of them. Where did you get your idea that all is nice over here? I'd rather trade useless paid connectivity options for twice longer warranty instead of paying for it after initial 2 years. Not even talking about those who did not buy extension and now have to pay for crucial SW updates if they don't want to risk and install them themselves.

Posted (edited)
33 minutes ago, Edela said:

There are selected few with recent hardware who now got the opportunity to get SW updates OTA, but there are just a few of them

As far as OTA Infotainment software updates go, and some other smaller updates such as car manual updates, as long as you are on the version prior to 1941  (version 1896?), don’t all Octavia MK 4 cars, in territories that support it, get these updates OTA? They are not just limited to more recent MK4 cars with specific hardware, it's more of a question of when your vehicle will be on the staggered roll-out schedule for the OTA updates.

As far as firmware updates go, makes sense to limit these to being applied in the workshop as often the modules are critical to the operation of the vehicle.  To some degree, I also understand the thinking “if it ain’t broken then don't fix it” that the workshops seem to adhere to.  Although sometimes a little flex would be good it’s often a case of if the diagnostic systems don’t offer it they won’t apply it unless you push that you are suffering a specific issue.

Edited by spcdust

7 hours ago, aaaaplay said:

Could you please give us more information about this ?

36 minutes ago, spcdust said:

As far as OTA Infotainment software updates go, and some other smaller updates such as car manual updates, as long as you are on the version prior to 1941  (version 1896?), don’t all Octavia MK 4 cars, in territories that support it, get these updates OTA? They are not just limited to more recent MK4 cars with specific hardware, it's more of a question of when your vehicle will be on the staggered roll-out schedule for the OTA updates.

This is what people speculate about. I haven't seen cars with H56 having any major OTA update, no matter the SW version. Not sure I've seen H58s either. Myself I was on 1896 for long time and only updates I had OTA were some minor updates (excluding the one which we all got somewhere in 2022 and which just broke infotainments sending them to eternal crash loop), workshop had to install everything manually to upgrade me further and that wasn't a fast process for them for some reason.

Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, Edela said:

This is what people speculate about. I haven't seen cars with H56 having any major OTA update, no matter the SW version. Not sure I've seen H58s either. Myself I was on 1896 for long time and only updates I had OTA were some minor updates (excluding the one which we all got somewhere in 2022 and which just broke infotainments sending them to eternal crash loop), workshop had to install everything manually to upgrade me further and that wasn't a fast process for them for some reason.

You can never be sure what to believe.  My Škoda workshop say that I should receive OTA updates but, let’s face it, they often don’t know the full facts.  Same with Škoda UK customer service who are particularly clueless.

I wouldn’t be surprised if all hardware configurations are capable of receiving OTA updates, bear in mind, that version 1941 would have been the first major update that was delivered OTA, but the staggered rollouts could leave you waiting for a long while before it gets to you.  Also, the way Škoda updates are delivered is not great, you get a quick message flash up which you have to quickly say “Yes” to but then scant information how the update is progressing and no history of what or if an update was applied.

Edited by spcdust
  • Like 2

On 17/04/2024 at 01:47, aaaaplay said:

Europe gets regular map updates, traffic information, an app store, user profiles/personalisation, and most importantly over the air updates - even if they're delivered slowly.

Look, a few days ago I got another OTA update. This time it added Offers app to my infotainment. What I discovered there? 20% off for cosmetics brand! Not even anything car related. Does that really worth twice shorter warranty? I'm still to witness any SW changes or at least some bug fixes brought by OTA updates, apart of this usual crap we get.

Hi All,

Found this topic as searching for how updates can be done.

From the look of my details, I presume I cannot attempt this at home ?

Device Part Number: 5E3035816F
Hardware: H56
Software 1804
Display unit / control panel hardware H47
Display unit / control panel software 2092
Navigation Database: 20.7
Media Codec: 3.1.4
Radio database 1.30.24

Skoda UK just said dealer says can be done OTA. ? Dealer near me are useless in any case 

Noted a lot of links, if anyone struggling to download, get it from this one.   

https://trafficsims.myftp.org/s/2AbTBw6fbsG642P

Use Password BriSkoda!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Michelob said:

Hi All,

Found this topic as searching for how updates can be done.

From the look of my details, I presume I cannot attempt this at home ?

Device Part Number: 5E3035816F
Hardware: H56
Software 1804
Display unit / control panel hardware H47
Display unit / control panel software 2092
Navigation Database: 20.7
Media Codec: 3.1.4
Radio database 1.30.24

Skoda UK just said dealer says can be done OTA. ? Dealer near me are useless in any case 

Noted a lot of links, if anyone struggling to download, get it from this one.   

https://trafficsims.myftp.org/s/2AbTBw6fbsG642P

Use Password BriSkoda!

No. With that low number software/firmware revision it requires a visit to a dealer to be updated to iirc 1869 and a possible hardware replacement as well, before you can make the jump to 1941 & 1969 software/firmware revisions.

Please don't try and install 1969 on that as you may end up having to have a new infotainment system.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TheWanderer said:

No. With that low number software/firmware revision it requires a visit to a dealer to be updated to iirc 1869 and a possible hardware replacement as well, before you can make the jump to 1941 & 1969 software/firmware revisions.

Please don't try and install 1969 on that as you may end up having to have a new infotainment system.

I second the dealer visit for a firmware that old. I've heard that some of the older firmware version' were less stable during the update process and therefore easier to brick a unit.

But have my doubts about any need for a hardware replacement. I'm running 1969 on H56 with an even older display/control unit.

IMG_0644.thumb.JPG.51cb71d81cc090a2b2417a8015eb2c03.JPG

You should only require a new unit if the dealer themselves brick it or there is an actual fault.

• Like 1

Thanks @TheWanderer and @aaaaplay , I need to find a decent dealer. All near me are DM Keith. My usual garage have been awful to deal with and suspect calling their other one a bit further away will be just as bad. 
Although I've never suffered issues with SOS etc. I do see the Flickering Console every now and the Infortainment also randomly restarts. [ although not often ]

I have a feeling should I come to sell, the status of the s.w. might be a questioning factor to a prospective buyer as this is a hot topic around the MK4s 

8 hours ago, aaaaplay said:

But have my doubts about any need for a hardware replacement. I'm running 1969 on H56 with an even older display/control unit.

I have the same experience. My 2020 car has the same hardware / Software versions as your screenshot, and have been running 1969 for a couple of weeks with no issues.