Update to Version 1969

I have only had my 70 plate Estate for 3 months and have no idea what this thread is all about.

Can someone please provide a simple explanation of what it all means and why (or not) I need to do anything?

Thanks

steve

Posted (edited)

These threads are to do with the infotainment system software, so if you have a look on your cars infotainment system and find the system information, you can see if you have the latest software or firmware for it.

If it's 1900 or less then ideally you need to get your infotainment systems software/firmware updated for smooth operation. If it shows 1941 or (unlikely) 1969 then you're fine.

However these threads are for those who want the latest soft/firmware's now, rather than wait for it to be automatically downloaded "Over The Air" or OTA, this carries a risk of causing damage to the system unless you know what you're doing. I put a guide to doing the update in this thread: Infotainment System Restarting Endlessly on Page 26

If you don't want to DIY then I notice that you're based in North Yorks, so you could always pop across to the folk at East Yorkshire retrofits who will undoubtedly be able to help you out for a fee: East Yorkshire Retrofits

Edited by TheWanderer
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, PaperPlane said:

I have only had my 70 plate Estate for 3 months and have no idea what this thread is all about.

Can someone please provide a simple explanation of what it all means and why (or not) I need to do anything?

Thanks

steve

Version 1969 refers to the software version of the Infotainment system. Since launch, Mk4 Octavias have had issues with the system. 1969 is the latest; 1941 was the version that stabilised a whole load of stuff, notable repeated reboots of the system after starting the car.

Do you need to do anything? Arguably, only if you have issues with your car; and then, if under [extended?] warranty still, ideally get your dealer to update it and check for other updates whilst they're at it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It may be placebo, but the quality seems to be improved on 1969. Bigest jump afcourse was when i upgraded to 1941, cuz then the flat eq bug was fixed. 

On 26/04/2024 at 01:17, aaaaplay said:

I second the dealer visit for a firmware that old. I've heard that some of the older firmware version' were less stable during the update process and therefore easier to brick a unit.

But have my doubts about any need for a hardware replacement. I'm running 1969 on H56 with an even older display/control unit.

IMG_0644.thumb.JPG.51cb71d81cc090a2b2417a8015eb2c03.JPG

You should only require a new unit if the dealer themselves brick it or there is an actual fault.

I'm around the same versions as yourself at the moment, is it worth pressing the dealer for an update, I haven't had the car long enough to have seen any issues yet.

20240526_131158.jpg

6 minutes ago, Jip said:

I'm around the same versions as yourself at the moment, is it worth pressing the dealer for an update, I haven't had the car long enough to have seen any issues yet.

20240526_131158.jpg

If your car was an approved Skoda used car then the dealer should have updated it to the latest software before selling it, so you should formally complain and request a FOC upgrade.

• Like 2

Sorry to hijack the thread but hoping for a quick answer. My Columbus infotainment is on version 1900. It works ok but since yesterday apple map will not  give voice directions via Apple CarPlay. I have not changed any setting either with the phone or the car. I have restarted both the phone and the infotainment. Unpaired and re-paired the phone with the car and map still will not give voice direction. Any clue how to fix it?

I do not have OTA software update in NZ. The dealer said that he can update the software to 1941 but it will be a bit of a hassle. I am actually happy to stay on 1900 if this problem can be remedied as The infotainment otherwise works ok. 

On 27/05/2024 at 15:19, TheWanderer said:

Make the jump to 1941, it solves quite a few problems.

For me going to 1941 fixed voice control which had not been functioning for over a year, since an earlier update.

Has anyone else been having issues with wireless Apple CarPlay recently?

The specific issue is that my phone defaults to connecting to the cars in-built wireless hotspot (see the wifi logo circled in red) for data but then nothing loads because I don't have Skoda Connect in my region, so no data.

IMG_0726.thumb.PNG.17690e2b754a7afe9d59e965572c20d5.PNG

But you can't switch off the wireless hotspot. feature because then wireless CarPlay won't function. 

If I switch wifi off and on again on my phone, it reconnects and a 5G symbol is shown beside the signal strength - all functions as normal then.

IMG_0657.thumb.PNG.64e555c8d45fbc638570cd18c62eff12.PNG

I don't believe it relates to 1969, because I tried it in my mother's Skoda Kamiq, with software version 0159 (which is ancient - current would be 0330 for a Kamiq) and It does the exact same thing with her iPhone.  

However, my partner's Ford Focus with Sync 3 and Carlinkit wireless adaptor doesn't have the same issue - although it does have its own set of annoying bugs.

6 hours ago, aaaaplay said:

The specific issue is that my phone defaults to connecting to the cars in-built wireless hotspot (see the wifi logo circled in red) for data but then nothing loads because I don't have Skoda Connect in my region, so no data.

But you can't switch off the wireless hotspot. feature because then wireless CarPlay won't function. 

If I switch wifi off and on again on my phone, it reconnects and a 5G symbol is shown beside the signal strength - all functions as normal then.

I don't believe it relates to 1969, because I tried it in my mother's Skoda Kamiq, with software version 0159 (which is ancient - current would be 0330 for a Kamiq) and It does the exact same thing with her iPhone.  

However, my partner's Ford Focus with Sync 3 and Carlinkit wireless adaptor doesn't have the same issue - although it does have its own set of annoying bugs.

I've not had this myself. I'm sure I saw a setting in the Infotainment system relating to using the car's data connection and on mine it was turned off. Maybe it has been turned on by accident? 

Or alternatively which version of iOS are you on? I'm on 17.4.1 but I notice there is 17.5.1 waiting for me when I want to install it so maybe it's a bug introduced by that new iOS if you have installed it?

8 hours ago, aaaaplay said:

I had the same issue and live in a country with no Skoda Connect. I just forgot the car and repaired carplay. it stopped connecting to the wifi after that. 

Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, aaaaplay said:

Yes. In 🇬🇧. Started about 10 days ago so sort of matching release of iOS 17.5.1 but I’m still on 17.4.1. Slow to connect to car. Sometimes black screen instead of CarPlay. Sometimes starts ok then reverts to black after a while. Even though iPhone screen has CarPlay icon still ‘working’.  Nothing reported yet on macrumors 17.5.1 bug forum https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/ios-17-5-1-bug-fixes-changes-and-improvements.2426949/.  I’ve been on 1969 for over a month so I’m really not sure what to blame. Have ‘forgotten’ car and re-connected but it’s started again

Edited by Markeknows

Posted (edited)

Aha. This is an iOS bug that this forum says is fixed in the 17.6 beta. Just gonna grab the public beta and will report back…

Edited by Markeknows

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Markeknows said:

Aha. This is an iOS bug that this forum says is fixed in the 17.6 beta. Just gonna grab the public beta and will report back…

iOS17.6 is still developer beta, public beta won't be for a few days.

I also see the black maps with Google Maps, so it's not just an Apple Maps bug.

Edited by PetrolDave

I’m on current iOS (not the beta) and not had any issues with CarPlay.  For navigation I either use Waze or Tom Tom Go

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Markeknows said:

That link is from 2021 and is regarding CarPlay issues in iOS14.5.1 and 14.6 Beta not 17.5.1 and 17.6 Beta.    ;) 

Edited by WaveyDavey

15 hours ago, WaveyDavey said:

I've not had this myself. I'm sure I saw a setting in the Infotainment system relating to using the car's data connection and on mine it was turned off. Maybe it has been turned on by accident? 

Or alternatively which version of iOS are you on? I'm on 17.4.1 but I notice there is 17.5.1 waiting for me when I want to install it so maybe it's a bug introduced by that new iOS if you have installed it?

I'm on iOS 17.5.1.

WiFi is required to be on in the Skoda infotainment unit. If you try connecting wireless CarPlay with it off, it prompts you to turn it on. 

14 hours ago, darkmatterink said:

I had the same issue and live in a country with no Skoda Connect. I just forgot the car and repaired carplay. it stopped connecting to the wifi after that. 

I have tried repairing it, but it eventually does it again. I usually only have to deal with the issue when I get in the car for the first time that day. 

The quickest fix for me, is to turn Wifi off and on. It disconnects then reconnects and all is good.

Went for the safety recall and other issues mentioned in my earlier post. 

The finally did some updates:

1. MIB from 1803 to 1941 (not 1969 😞 ) but still a lot better than i was. I will leave it on this for a few weeks before jumping to 1969 if possible 

2. Audio Controller to 4019 - should fix my canton no Audio and pop issue. 

Plus the safety recall stuff. 

They did not fix the AC SYNC issue 😕 said it is normal for the 2021 build cars... 2024 car they had for service did not have any issue. but as their system did not show as an update available they did not do anything. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, aaaaplay said:

I'm on iOS 17.5.1.

WiFi is required to be on in the Skoda infotainment unit. If you try connecting wireless CarPlay with it off, it prompts you to turn it on. 

No you misunderstand me I’m sure I saw another option not the one about connecting wirelessly regarding using the car’s data connectivity and mine was set to off. I still connect my phone to the car via wireless CarPlay and I still show a 5G/4G symbol instead of the WiFi symbol on the CarPlay screen. 

7 hours ago, molesy94 said:

They did not fix the AC SYNC issue 😕 said it is normal for the 2021 build cars... 2024 car they had for service did not have any issue. but as their system did not show as an update available they did not do anything. 

My local dealer initially said this until I showed them a video of the behaviour of my car, and the 2022 loan Octavia they had given me. They did eventually get directed by Skoda to update the climate control unit, but it took far more effort on my part, and in fairness the dealers part to get this update 'approved' by Skoda.

It seems too much these days that dealers blindly look at their computer systems and if it says there are no updates available, then that is the absolute truth. They seem reluctant to report these issues back to Skoda, and if the dealers don't report the issues, then Skoda won't know. In this case though, they clearly do know, as there have been a few of us on this forum that have persisted with our complaints and got the necessary update applied.