Dual Mass Flywheels (DMF)

Petrol cars have a DMF too in many cases.

I think it's something you'd have to take up with a dealer and ask them to advise on your driving style.

TBH at 5000 miles a year, you have to question if it's worth paying the extra for a diesel as you'll probably never make it back in fuel saved.

• Like 1

I think it's something you'd have to take up with a dealer and ask them to advise on your driving style.

TBH at 5000 miles a year, you have to question if it's worth paying the extra for a diesel as you'll probably never make it back in fuel saved.

I know the larger petrol engines have them too but I've never heard of a DMF failing in a petrol, probably because of the way they produce their torque. I've been comparing getting a new petrol or a used diesel for the same money but a diesel would be 18months to 2yr old, and I'm concerned that when the car is older and out of warranty, one DMF failure would wipe out all the savings of the diesel on road tax and fuel. I was looking at the 2.0 TDI PD engine which also seems to have alot of reported turbo and oil pump failures on this forum.

Edited by Ultima

• 1 year later...

Had my DMF replaced with SMF conversion with Skoda UK under warranty at 35K. Now on 46K and it's still trouble free and very smooth and quiet. Now I'm hearing lots of horror stories about these now. I've heard they can screw your crankshaft and gearbox as the torque isn't being dampened by anything. But I don't do launch starts and low down grunt pull aways. I always wait until 2000rpm if I want to give it some beans. Maybe somebody can settle my mind on this please as it was Skoda UK that done the conversion.

Many thanks.

• 1 month later...

:( Would a DMF fault cause a dip in power when setting off in first gear ? as my 09 TDi Scout has a big dip in power when setting off. cheers - Stuart

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

emoticon-0101-sadsmile.gif Would a DMF fault cause a dip in power when setting off in first gear ? as my 09 TDi Scout has a big dip in power when setting off. cheers - Stuart

You can get a 'dip in power' as you're applying power to move away. It's not actually a dip in power as such, just the flywheel rotating, without providing much drive for a very small amount of time as it takes up the load.

Depending on how bad this is, it could be fairly typical or a sign that the DMF is on it's way out and should be checked over.

Unfortunately I think I can predict the dealer response - "DMF problems are very rare / non-existant"

• 4 weeks later...

Something that's worth mentioning on this thread, is that if you think you're having poor gear changes that might be DMF and you have not had your brake fluid changed in the last 18 months, then it might be worth changing the brake fluid and getting the clutch bled too.

The clutch is operated by hydraulic fluid and as such, when it degrades, it can lead to poor changes.

For low mileage drivers (5k or less), is the risk of DMF failure on a Diesel high enough to make a petrol a safer financial bet in the long term ?

The thing that made me go for diesel for the first time in 30 years was the carbon build up problems associated with DI petrol engines (FSI and TSI). I am still not convinced manufacturers have got this sorted, which is a pity as I can't say that I'm entirely loving the diesel experience.

• 3 months later...

If the first post is still being updated it would be helpful if the section on how to minimise DMF failures could be expanded slightly to explain what rpm constitutes 'Driving around at very low RPM'. Also, can you be driving around at low revs with the engine giving no sign of distress and yet still be damaging the DMF in the process?

Thanks.

looking at the list WITHOUT DMF, the 75 1.4TDi isn't on the list , is that true. If so -phew, as due to a fuel leak, I've got (at times) clutch slipage. It was a courtesy car with a body firm, and I always thought the clutch was low, but the price was that good that I got it, especially at the mileage and price .

• 2 weeks later...

certainly in the petrol vrs mk2 if your starter motor stays on after engine start up its a sign the DMF is failing, Newmarket bannockburn replaced my starter motor and bearings in the gearbox and Chathams edinburgh east bled my clutch both failed to spot a failing DMF from the previous owner

• 5 months later...

looking at the list WITHOUT DMF, the 75 1.4TDi isn't on the list , is that true. If so -phew, as due to a fuel leak, I've got (at times) clutch slipage. It was a courtesy car with a body firm, and I always thought the clutch was low, but the price was that good that I got it, especially at the mileage and price .

I don't know. Take the list of cars that are known to have one than those that don't.

If people can confirm cars don't with a specific engine and age, then I'm happy to put a usually don't have a DMF list up.

• 1 month later...

We had a DMF fail on a Sharan that literally cut the bell housing in 2,the only thing that stopped the flailing parts from cutting the bellhousing completely in 2 was the TDC sensor was damaged and this stopped the engine,the noise must have been so loud it beggars belief she carried on driving.

The newer "second generation" dmf kits from LUk have been upgraded and do last longer than the earlier ones.

• 3 months later...

Hello

How many km are the average lifetime of the dual mass flywheel of Superb II 2.0 CR TDI 103kw car?

Is there any statistical data about it?

• 1 year later...

You can remove the starter motor and check for excess play on the DMF, but honestly when they fail, you know all about it emoticon-0140-rofl.gif Sounds like a mad midget trying to hammer his way out of Hell.

Sorry, I know this is an old thread by see it gets revived fairly frequently anyway!

My DMF is showing signs of failing (knocking with WOT when in a high gear from a low rev, e.g. 1100 to 1600 rpm, stops as soon as accelerator is taken off. Also, starter motor is sticking on at cold starts - is this a symptom?)

On the above comment - can anyone tell me how much play is excessive? I'm planning to take the starter motor off and give it a clean just to see if I can shut it up in the mean time, so was going to check the DMF then.

Cheers

Changing mine on a DSG Gearbox next month. Point to note on a DSG, if its the wet clutch 6-speed, the clutch pack should not require to be changed unless it's damaged as if serviced regular with oil changes, should last the life of the car.

On a DSG,  Symptoms are similar. Knocking noise from gearbox when idle, rough gear changes, vibrations between 1100rpm - 1500rpm. Shaking under load 60mph-70mph plus.

Starter motor on startup will not sound normal.

Will update once it has been replaced, hopefully with a step by step guide 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Changing mine on a DSG Gearbox next month. Point to note on a DSG, if its the wet clutch 6-speed, the clutch pack should not require to be changed unless it's damaged as if serviced regular with oil changes, should last the life of the car.

On a DSG,  Symptoms are similar. Knocking noise from gearbox when idle, rough gear changes, vibrations between 1100rpm - 1500rpm. Shaking under load 60mph-70mph plus.

Starter motor on startup will not sound normal.

Will update once it has been replaced, hopefully with a step by step guide 

I look forward to reading about it.

I look forward to reading about it.

Car is now at an independent garage, after discovering a bad offside cv joint boot (DSG you have to replace the whole offside shaft), supplied part was U/S and had more play in it that the old DMF. To remove the offside drive shaft and CV Joint, the coolant has to be drained, as you need to remove the pipe in order to access it, so new coolant on top of that, as well as wheel alignment. Looking at £900-1000 for everything (already paid £295 for part) so about £600-700 remaining to pay.

I do not have the time or the facilities to carry out the extra work and I will be broke down until after Christmas as I have to borrow money to get me through this month

• 4 months later...
  • 4 months later...