Moments of joy in your day today

mender

13 hours ago, StevesTruck said:

I had one of those briefly as an utter bangernomics car. Considering the state it was in, it was quite a nice drive. 

I remember going down the South East in an utter monsoon, went over Dartford, stopped at the booth, touched the electric window switch and the window glass dropped like a stone into the door never to be seen again. Both my and the bloke in the toll booth were laughing that hard I couldn't be annoyed. He asked what I was going to do:

"Get a bit F-----g wet by the looks of it" 😅

I had a Clio that would do that regularly, sissor arms in the door were hinged on split pins not solid so they'd wear out quick. Luckily the glass never disappeared and you could pull it back into place

11 hours ago, Graham Butcher said:

What I liked about those old cars, was that everything was controlled with knobs and switches and or levers so everything on the car could be controlled without ever taking your eyes of the road  once you learned where everything was, so much safer than cars of today. That said, of course, today's cars do have far safer safety systems, ABS. ESC, etc. I'd love to see things revert to more knobs and switches.

That's where I think the Mk3 Octavia has reached a reasonable balance for controls - although I would prefer the auto stop-start button repositioned to where the Mk3 Fabia has it.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Warrior193 said:

That's where I think the Mk3 Octavia has reached a reasonable balance for controls - although I would prefer the auto stop-start button repositioned to where the Mk3 Fabia has it.

Disconnect the battery sensor plug worked for me on our Leon 2013 TSI. Just that grey clip needs pulling before the plug gives. Then tuck it inside battery jacket. Had to do it again as mechanic saw error on service and connected it back up. Arghhh! 

1 hour ago, gav_is_con said:

Disconnect the battery sensor plug worked for me on our Leon 2013 TSI. Just that grey clip needs pulling before the plug gives. Then tuck it inside battery jacket. Had to do it again as mechanic saw error on service and connected it back up. Arghhh! 

@gav_is_con you misunderstand, I'm one who prefers to use automatic idle stop apart from very short stops - I just think the Fabia has the stop/start inhibit button in a better position.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Warrior193 said:

@gav_is_con you misunderstand, I'm one who prefers to use automatic idle stop apart from very short stops - I just think the Fabia has the stop/start inhibit button in a better position.

Apologies, then the button is your friend in those situations. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Aspman said:

I had a Clio that would do that regularly, sissor arms in the door were hinged on split pins not solid so they'd wear out quick. Luckily the glass never disappeared and you could pull it back into place

I wedged a beermat in the window rubber.

Bought the car for £500

Ran it round for a month while I sold the private plate for £500

Sold the car for £500 with a broken window reg. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Blame the speech writer.

ALBA Party reports the PM Rishi Sunak MP to Police Scotland for the funny in his conference speech about Niciola Sturgeon MSP & past First Minister of Scotland & leader of the SNP who was recently arrested and released without charge. 

Pending further inquires, after voluntarily going to a police station.

So the reason for the Report is they think it is a case of contempt of court while there is a live police investigation.

Just as long as Rishi now consults his or the Conservative Party lawyers and does not use the Governments or any Civil Servants because of his gob.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Smiorgian said:

Proper creosote

One of the few bright spots of our post roof leak cleanup activities was finding 15l of real creosote at the back of the garage.  Back (outside) wall of the workshop here I come!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MikeTheThinker said:

One of the few bright spots of our post roof leak cleanup activities was finding 15l of real creosote at the back of the garage.  Back (outside) wall of the workshop here I come!

My old man used to mix it with used engine oil to make go further...

Ah the 1970s... different times 😜

• Like 2

My junior school used to mark out the football pitches on the grass with it, it was very effective at scorching and burning away the grass but also the skin on my knees.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Cakemonster said:

My old man used to mix it with used engine oil to make go further...

That's given me an idea.  I have around 50 litres of otherwise brand new 20/50 oil that got water-contaminated (not our roof leak - something that happened at my folks' place some time back).  This would mix well and not be aromatically objectionable.  OK, messy, but we have a shower for afterwards :)

• Like 2

You can boil off the water, 100°c is not going to degrade the oil.

50 litres is worth a lot.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, skomaz said:

A mild dry day in October and the MX5 is still taxed...   Even just bumbling about doing the usual errands in it is enjoyable...   25 years of ownership and counting. 

Thought I'd make the most of it so I'm just back from a roof down drive in the dark...   I'd forgotten how enjoyable doing that is as I can't remember the last time I did it. 

Time for a Chinese and a beer now to finish the day off... 

Edited by skomaz
  • Like 4