7 minutes ago, olddog said:

Hmmmm..........this is looking more and more like  F-B belongs in Dull Things 😔

1. It seems that F-B was made in Uraguay and not Argentina

2. The factory in Uraguay was closed in 1979

3. The stuff that is now sold as F-B is made by Baxters in Scotland

4. The site of the Factory in Uraguay is now a UNESCO world heritage site 😮

Thats a far too Interesing post for this thread

• Haha 1

If it was not for your final sentence that explained your meaning of bonk in this context I thought the Eccles cake was to fill up your cycling partner and make him lethargic to dampen his ardour 🤣

Is it a Geordie thing to use bonk for that meaning?

Edited by J.R.
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

I think marathon runners were the first I heard use the word bonk, or at least it was long distance runners. It's when you run our of steam through lack of stored glycogen (fuel) and you don't have the carbs floating around to replace it. I think there was a rough rule of Glycogen was very easily accessed and stored in the muscles, whereas as converting body fat to use as fuel, was only half as efficient at best, so you could get to a point where you simply "bonk"!  It's why cyclist eat loads of carb-y things during multi-stage races

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

im now a podcast editing pro :D

20240309_231326.thumb.jpg.68c9b4dc4e209f817c49cfc0119dd2a7.jpg

had to do a re recording as the audio quality on the first one (last weekend) was ****e as the midmcrophone was terribly clippy.

so, i trialled a different approach. Missus mac recorded the segments on on phone with BT handsfree, and emailed them to me. and tonight ive stitched the bits together, made the spacing sound natural, got the speed just right, editted out the rustling noises at the ends of recordings. and after i export this clean version ill add the royalty free background music i  selected. 

career change in the offing???? :D

p.s. dont worry, im not drinkin the screen wash ;)

• Like 4

48 minutes ago, @Lee said:

That's Audacity. I've used that to record and clip stuff from LBC Radio for my YouTube channel. :thumbup:

yeah, its okay once you get the feel for it. but it was a crash course last weekend 🙄

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Lady Elanore said:

I think marathon runners were the first I heard use the word bonk, or at least it was long distance runners. It's when you run our of steam through lack of stored glycogen (fuel) and you don't have the carbs floating around to replace it. I think there was a rough rule of Glycogen was very easily accessed and stored in the muscles, whereas as converting body fat to use as fuel, was only half as efficient at best, so you could get to a point where you simply "bonk"!  It's why cyclist eat loads of carb-y things during multi-stage races

Thanks Amanda, I should know the word but as I only started running since moving to France all my running vocabulary and conversation has been in French, I am bi-lingual in scuba diving though!

We say crevé (literally punctured, deflated) although there might be a familiar term for hitting the glycogen  wall.

I am off in 5 minutes to run with a group I joined since moving here to the Dordogneshire, not one of them speaks any French 🥴 plus ça change...............

I have just carn loaded with my usual daily breakfast, porridge, fromage blanc and salade de fruit maison.

• Like 1

On 07/03/2024 at 20:41, Gaz said:

I also got a near plate sized eccles cake:

IMG_9014.thumb.jpeg.4b033864ff5aa690acb621cdee9f33f1.jpeg

Excellent! A real fly pie with sugar glaze like wot Granny used to make.  Enjoy :)

• Thanks 1

And now for my moment of joy in the day;

Geert Wilders gives up hope of being the Dutch PM because nobody likes far right wannabes in the Netherlands 

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2024/mar/13/geert-wilders-gives-up-hope-of-being-dutch-pm-due-to-lack-of-support?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Baxlin said:

Consultant told Mrs B she will OK her application to DVLA to drive again.

Pleased for her . . . . . .give us a heads up when she’s been let loose again behind the wheel. . . . . . . .I’ll get me coat 😂

Edited by BTandSid
  • Haha 1
  • Cheeky 1

5 hours ago, Baxlin said:

Consultant told Mrs B she will OK her application to DVLA to drive again.

Good news but be prepared for a lengthy wait.  She will have to inform her insurers once she is in possession of the relevant DVLA permission letter.

BTW if it's not private what condition/s led her to need to reapply?

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Breezy_Pete said:

Fell asleep before he'd finished his wine!

20240314_202416.jpg

"I only drink to relax; sometimes I relax so much I fall over" - W.C. Fields (attributed)

• Like 1

On 09/03/2024 at 17:53, Lady Elanore said:

A colleague of mine, who has a Baker for a mum, told me it was the pastry difference that separated Eccles and Chorley cakes. I've had Eccles with both Sugar and no sugar, and I think I prefer without. But boy does that flaky pastry make a mess!. They are quite nice warmed up and with custard, but don't tell anyone I said that. 

You were right amanda, just had an eccles cake without sugar on ,bit of a con calling it a cake tho either my hands have gone massive or the eccles have gone tidgy 😥

• Like 4

Ah damn it ,i just have to say the above is not willy waving  😊 its the view from a café  not my place, did i intend to give that impression i lived there,? Yes, i am very immature ha

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, skomaz said:

Yesterday I finally got round to sorting the boot lighting in the Kodiaq.

We have my daughter's wheelchair dismantled and tied in at either side of the boot so the two lights at either side of the tailgate are blocked and useless anyway.

Less than £10 later and I have a 500mm x 5mm 12v LED strip stuck to the underside of the roller blind load cover wired in via a small plug and socket arrangement to the left hand OE light.

It comes on with the OE lights and illuminates the whole boot with no issues and the plug and socket means I can still remove the roller blind when needed.

It'll need a bit of fettling at some point (a smaller JST plug arrangement and some black wiring ) but as a proof of concept I'm well chuffed with it for an hour's work.

I tried something similar this week. A Lidl Livarno LED battery powered light strip with self-adhesive backing and a motion sensor. 
I installed it on the underside of the parcel shelf and it worked brilliantly - for about two hours until the self-adhesive backing decided it no longer wanted to self-adhere.
Now it looks like one of those LED decorative things that are in glass jars that they sell in Dunelm but without the glass :D 

• Haha 4