What did you do to your Skoda today pt2

chrisgreen

Mine is off to VW tomorrow as my wife now works there. Hopefully they can sort the noise that occurs around 30mph getting louder when you go faster. Very odd

Sounds like either a bearing or part of undertray is loose and air flow at 30 + starts it flapping/dragging. Had it on my old cordoba, couldnt figure it out for weeks, as when parked the tray was up where it was meant to be.

• Like 1

Sounds like either a bearing or part of undertray is loose and air flow at 30 + starts it flapping/dragging. Had it on my old cordoba, couldnt figure it out for weeks, as when parked the tray was up where it was meant to be.

I was thinking bearing too, but the tray is a good shout. Will try and lift it this weekend and have a look. Was nice to be in the quiet C Max today, but I miss the slightly bigger engine in my Octy although the Ford has a few more toys

Washed it! - much overdue.  I tried some polish that was in my Autoglym pack; some stuff called Aqua Wax.  It was certainly easier to apply than traditional wax polish but I'm wondering whether it'll stay shiny for as long.  I usually give the bodywork a good waxing before winter sets in, to try to protect it all from the muck, grit and salt.

I noticed I have a few tiny chips in the paintwork, one of which has already gone rusty.  Aaaaargh!   How does everyone treat paint chips/rusts spots?  DIY job?  I've no idea how to identify the paint colour, any clues, anyone?

Thanks.

Not today but yesterday. Drove 400 mile in it. Then swore at it and called it every ugly name I could think of when the EML light came on and an old fault raised its ugly head again. Going to go back to Mondeo's again I think and enjoy watching this one get crushed just for pure pleasure as dealers are only offering me £200 in px?

• 2 weeks later...

Went to attack the brakes. Started with the rears, because I knew they were bad...

gH2Xm5k.jpg :o

GGuk7Yk.jpg And it took me about 3 hours to get to this point on one side.

Mostly because I forgot how to put the murderous bloody heap of springs and sharp bits back together, but also because I struggled like hell to get the handbrake cable back on. Ended up having to make a pair of pliers to spread the cable...

Thankfully, the other side was done in 45 minutes, including changing the wheel bearing, because I knew how it went together and had the tool from the first side.

By the time I got to the point I could bleed the brakes, it had started to go dark... which is not very much fun when you're working on an industrial estate with no lighting. Then, to add further insult, my vacuum bleeder stopped working; the O-ring on the piston came off. :dull:

The brakes are better, now (The handbrake, infinitely so! Three clicks of the ratchet, rather than 8-ish and still creaking alarmingly); but I didn't get around to doing the pads on the front, nor completely flushing the whole system because the fluid is black. That might be tomorrows cursing-laden struggle.

Went to attack the brakes. Started with the rears, because I knew they were bad...

gH2Xm5k.jpg :o

GGuk7Yk.jpg And it took me about 3 hours to get to this point on one side.

Mostly because I forgot how to put the murderous bloody heap of springs and sharp bits back together, but also because I struggled like hell to get the handbrake cable back on. Ended up having to make a pair of pliers to spread the cable...

Thankfully, the other side was done in 45 minutes, including changing the wheel bearing, because I knew how it went together and had the tool from the first side.

By the time I got to the point I could bleed the brakes, it had started to go dark... which is not very much fun when you're working on an industrial estate with no lighting. Then, to add further insult, my vacuum bleeder stopped working; the O-ring on the piston came off. :dull:

The brakes are better, now (The handbrake, infinitely so! Three clicks of the ratchet, rather than 8-ish and still creaking alarmingly); but I didn't get around to doing the pads on the front, nor completely flushing the whole system because the fluid is black. That might be tomorrows cursing-laden struggle.

Never again for me, I'd rather work some extra hours and pay someone else for that sort of work. Nien Danke. 

Never again for me, I'd rather work some extra hours and pay someone else for that sort of work. Nien Danke.

Yeah, part-way through doing that, I was remembering why I hated doing drum brakes. :peek: (But the ones on the truck are significantly easier; they're just a pain due to the weight of everything...)

Fitted my new winter wheels / tyres:

IMG_2422_zpsaxxcigj9.jpg

(Actually Thursday evening but 1st chance to get a photo in the daylight.... YES I know it’s dirty  :blush: )

But a great colour for not showing it too badly. What tyres are they Gizmo?

Edited by Warrior193
  • Like 1

But a great colour for not showing it too badly. What tyres are they Gizmo?

Unfortunately due to the mileage I do and the fact that the car gets covered in a fine layer of dust whilst at work I need colours which do not show the dirt too much, Business Grey does this quite well.

The tyres are Nokian WR A4's in the same size as my summers (235/40/19")

On Sunday, January 22, 2017 at 00:12, Gizmo68 said:

Unfortunately due to the mileage I do and the fact that the car gets covered in a fine layer of dust whilst at work I need colours which do not show the dirt too much, Business Grey does this quite well.

The tyres are Nokian WR A4's in the same size as my summers (235/40/19")

Is it your firat time on the Nokians? How do you find them?

Reckoning on getting a set of their All Seasons for my next set...

1 minute ago, mac11irl said:

Is it your firat time on the Nokians? How do you find them?

Reckoning on getting a set of their All Seasons for my next set...

No, im now on my 4th set, tried WR A3's, A4's and D4's, also tried Bridgestone Blizzack winters, the Nokian's are very impressive, which is why I keep going back to them. 

• Like 1

Not today, but drove it 214 miles on Wednesday and 2 miles from home, coolant light came on. 

Turns out the pipe had a hole caused by an electrical cable. Wife nursed it to her work, they ordered a new hose at £35 and gave her some coolant to get home and back again today. 

No breakdown cover so I am a lucky boy

On 1/21/2017 at 23:15, mdk1 said:

Sold the Octavia, private plate coming off. 6 years of happy motoring coming to an end.

Sad times Mike. What is replacing it?