What do you love/ hate about your job?

@Lee

Love - The mental exercise of figuring out how to fix a problem. I deal with IT and personnel security and complacence with lot of bits of legislation and other agreements. Trying to make systems and process all fit together and still work is like fitting a square peg in a round hole whilst being accosted by hungry ferrets.

What do I hate - assholes in positions of authority that see the public purse as a way to further their own ambition or nothing more than a free shop to get toys when they want how they want and they'll happy **** on others to get it.

• Like 1

Am a volvo master tech at a dealer,

Started as an apprentice and worked my way upto MT with nearly 15 years experiance,

I enjoy that the can stops with me for problem jobs and that i can help others gain experiance off me,

I hate idiot managers that don't have a clue and won't listen and think the place can get run by looking at graphs on a computer screen

• Like 1

Part time / semi retired, acting as a sort of delivery driver courier.

Love - driving around, meeting people.

Hate - driving around meeting people.

• Like 1

Senior support engineer for a networking company.

Loves - people take me seriously, and know that I know my stuff. I don't have stats meetings to answer to, and realistically no one cares how long my cases are open for so I'm never under any pressure to give a sub-par response just because it will look better at the end of the quarter. My skills lie in problem solving and finding solutions to all sorts of odd things, and I get to use those skills most days. The payrise I got when I moved was quite nice, I've had more in "perks" and nice touches in 2 years here than in almost 11 years at my last job which helps you to feel appreciated as an employee.

Hates - lack of organisation (every so often I'll get an email saying "hi, there's no one supporting your product in EMEA because we gave them all the same day off. You can cover the helpdesk, right?"), lack of any appreciable career progression in my current small office (the company is international but family ties mean I couldn't just up sticks easily), bizarre spending habits (the perks are nice, as above, but on occasion it's been easier to buy a team meal for us all than to buy equipment that would help us actually do our jobs).

Teacher.

Love - the job, teaching the students

Hate - the people I work with

Lol, SWMBO is a teacher.

She loves teaching the kids and hates absolutely everything else about the job

Lol, SWMBO is a teacher.

She loves teaching the kids and hates absolutely everything else about the job

Funny enough my missus is also a teacher, loves teaching the majority of her kids-except for a few really bad ones,

Generally likes her colleagues and boss but hates the dept bs thats going on even dislikes the unions...

House Husband (currently)

Love that I get to buy and cook food each day for SWMBO while looking for work.

Hate the fact I'm now in responsible for the cleaning....very steep learning curve!  She nearly collapsed laughing at the number of towels I'd washed and put in the dryer - told me I'd need to wash them all again....Apparently, a washing machine with a 7Kg load capacity doesn't actually mean it can properly wash 7kg of towels..... :no:  :wonder:

Edited by Gwilo
  • Like 1

Love

Driving all over the country delivering and collecting Audis, meeting customers.

All the guys and girls at work, a very good bunch. fuel card.

Hates,

Not many, sometimes get lumbered with jobs that seem a little pointless, and occasionally gets so busy I don't have hours in the day to get it all done.

Most miles in a week 3700. Like I say can get very busy.

Does have it ups, some nice cars home overnight, R8's RS5, RS3 and so on.

• Like 1

House Husband (currently)

Love that I get to buy and cook food each day for SWMBO while looking for work.

Hate the fact I'm now in responsible for the cleaning....very steep learning curve!  She nearly collapsed laughing at the number of towels I'd washed and put in the dryer - told me I'd need to wash them all again....Apparently, a washing machine with a 7Kg load capacity doesn't actually mean it can properly wash 7kg of towels..... :no:  :wonder:

top tip; wash the towels (in one go) before she gets home ;)

• Like 1

Plumber:

Love:

- Standing back and looking at work ive done.

- problem solving

- nice customers and fast payers.

Hate.

- know it all customers,

- slow payers and people who moan about the price after its done, even though i costed it before i started.

- when jobs take longer than expected and i end up working till 10/11pm

• Like 1

Love the ten minute (even at 0745 in the morning) 'commute' through Preston, the fact I'm working outdoors, the fact I have no deadlines or anyone checking over my shoulder, working with a 74 year old Irishman, time off whenever I want, paid holidays, flexible hours, taking the Porsche and Range Rover out when they're away to 'keep the battery charged', being made porridge and homemade soup in the winter, house party invites, use of their equipment for foreigner jobs, permission to shoot on site (72 acres) and lots and lots of designer freebies, currently wearing my Prada shoes the boss' son gave me as they were 'too brown'!! [emoji5]️[emoji4]

I honestly struggle to knock it. If I was being really pathetic I'd say I would like to live rent free in one of the properties on site

JRJG

Love the ten minute (even at 0745 in the morning) 'commute' through Preston, the fact I'm working outdoors, the fact I have no deadlines or anyone checking over my shoulder, working with a 74 year old Irishman, time off whenever I want, paid holidays, flexible hours, taking the Porsche and Range Rover out when they're away to 'keep the battery charged', being made porridge and homemade soup in the winter, house party invites, use of their equipment for foreigner jobs, permission to shoot on site (72 acres) and lots and lots of designer freebies, currently wearing my Prada shoes the boss' son gave me as they were 'too brown'!! [emoji5]️[emoji4]

I honestly struggle to knock it. If I was being really pathetic I'd say I would like to live rent free in one of the properties on site

JRJG

I now see you as zach dingle, but with a slightly better standard of living, wandering about homefarm :D

• Like 1

I sthat a Preston south to north, as whenever I try to get through Broughton lights in a morning it seems it would be quicker to walk.

I now see you as zach dingle, but with a slightly better standard of living, wandering about homefarm :D

May I ask who Zach Dingle is? :o

Not sure if that is a compliment or a dig ;)

I sthat a Preston south to north, as whenever I try to get through Broughton lights in a morning it seems it would be quicker to walk.

Broughton lights are an absolute nightmare aren't they. I avoid the place completely unless it is before half seven in the morning or after six ish at night. My commute is from Ashton On Ribble (near Lane Ends if you're familiar) down Blackpool Road, towards the Barracks, down to Eastway and on the way towards Red Scar.

JRJG

When we moved our son from Garstang to B/Bridge it was all day of a mare, never again. I last worked in Preston in 1980 and it was bad enough then. Who's idea was it to put the ring road through the middle of the city?

After 50 years of work, I am retired and can honestly say that the role I have now is the worst ever, I am retired! unfortunately my wife does not understand that it means not working, each evening she gives me a task for the next day just before I get into bed, I don't know if she deliberately waits until then so I can't  sleep thinking about the job the next day or if she is just using the opportunity  as a passion killer! ( she should understand that she is safe, no man looks forward to bedtime with a grandmother)

The bad thing about being retired is that the boss is always around, I can't phone in sick ( not that I used to in regular employment ) I can't get a day off and I don't get time off on a bank holiday.

Best regards to all, George.

• Like 1