Breaking VW Emissions Scandal -Mk I

Ryeman

I seem to remember reading a post from an MOT tester, can't think of what forum it was though, that when he had checked a VAG diesel cars emissions, the car would not rev past about 2500 rpm.

In the old days of rotary and inline pumps, if we had a diesel that had failed it's emission testing, we would wind out the max revs stop screw, so the engine would not Rev as high just for the MOT, everyone did it and the MOT station knew you had done it, still passed it though.

I wasn't talking about MOTs, I was talking about type-approval testing. Laboratory/rolling road stuff done before cars ever make it to market.

On a more serious note - bloody nightmare for anyone working at a main dealer. Imagine all those cars coming in to be fixed, 

Or worse, imagine having to listen to us lot..... :D

• Like 1

http://bbc.co.uk/news/business-34536573

This is the man that is telling our UK elected politicians the VWG side of things. 'As he knows it'.

Lets see if the jackanory changes any time soon.

http://uk.linkedin.com/pub/paul-willis/26/924/a51

Its very telling that he has an interest in politics seeing as every question was answered swiftly by "we must do this quickly to restore the trust of the public"

It was almost as if I was watching Chucka Amuna answering every question with "what the public really care about is jobs and growth". Cast from the same mould them two.

• Like 1

No proven in several independent tests of Euro 5 and Euro 6 diesels linked previously in the thread.

Lee

"Not" proven or "Now" proven?

• Like 1

"Not" proven or "Now" proven?

Not speculation, proven in several independent tests of Euro 5 and Euro 6 diesels linked previously in the thread

@ gadgetman

DPFs don't deal with NOx; only particulates?

NOx are gaseous molecules.

Are you sure European countries have NOx testing in their MOT equivalents? Even California doesn't.

The article as I recall mentioned higher nox in dpf removed cars.

It also mentioned other countries so assumed they also test or maybe they'll soon be testing?

Interesting Germany will force VW to recall cars and fixes will be compulsory?

Germany has much tighter regulations and testing than the rest of Europe. 

Their TUV testing regime is very stringent, even fitting a towbar forces a retest with TUV approval required and a change in registration documentation. If you've modified your car in anyway you will need to provide full TUV approval documentation to pass the annual MOT equivalent. 

Lee

• Like 1

OK, Mrs Baxlin's Fabia is on the list, we had a letter from Skoda today, reassuring us that the car is perfectly safe to use as it is. No info as to what is to be done, but is the recall likely to be compulsory? I'm thinking if they alter things, the likelihood is that it'll use more fuel, so why bother?

Not speculation, proven in several independent tests of Euro 5 and Euro 6 diesels linked previously in the thread

Whats proven? Does that mean my speculation is proven or is my speculation still speculation? The speculation i was refering to was speculation, are you sure your referring to the same speculation that you state is proven?  :notme:  :p

• Like 1

At least the Scottish Law system will not be required as part of this, Guilty, Not Guilty, Not Proven.

VWG were caught, denied, lied, lied some more and then held up their hands and said Guilty.  Well maybe a bit Guilty, it was a wee boy that did it and ran away. 

Problem is, they still do not want to admit to all they did, in case they can get away with things not yet found out.

How are they going to test them? 

The equipment in the MOT stations is currently not capable of doing so.

I think you're missing the point because I am agreeing with you, they can't change the VED or anything else like that with the current MOT test.

John

Germany has much tighter regulations and testing than the rest of Europe. 

Their TUV testing regime is very stringent, even fitting a towbar forces a retest with TUV approval required and a change in registration documentation. If you've modified your car in anyway you will need to provide full TUV approval documentation to pass the annual MOT equivalent. 

Lee

Ironic really! :notme:

• Like 1

I'm going to have a stab in the dark here.

There will be no compensation.

Your car will be fixed for free, they'll make it as easy as possible for you to get the car to them and will go to extra lengths to minimise any inconvenience whilst it is being repaired.

Anyone who is expecting a partial refund on the purchase price or a goodwill gesture towards their cars reduced value will be left disappointed.

The car is not right, VAG have agreed to fix it for free. Job done, car fixed, life back to normal.

That's pretty much what my letter from Skoda received yesterday said!

They are obviously not going to be throwing money at people to 'buy them off' unless a clear legal case can be brought against VAG that shows the vehicle after the free fix is of any lower value than it was before or that the changes in emissions has any negative impact upon the ownership of the vehicle.

A friend with an Audi was talking about receiving the full vehicle value (£23,000+) and compensation on top! No idea where he got that from but others seemed to believe him....

So I agree with Silver1011 - but secretly keeping my fingers crossed that he's wrong and my friend is correct.  :D

• Like 1

Anyone heard anything about "will compensation be due"? I'm thinking what if the Vehicle tax has to be re-grouped, resale value dropping, etc. I'm sure thousands of people buy vehicles based on emission groups.

I had my letter yesterday from Skoda UK, with the same wording as I'm sure everyone else has had, including looking at the Skoda web site for diesel info updates.

Also, what happens if your MOT is due before the the technical solution work has been done?

Also, what happens if your MOT is due before the the technical solution work has been done?

There'll be hundreds of thousands of people in that situation; I can't see it being an issue; the cars should pass.

Stuart

VW are certainly not going to talk about monetary compensation.

That'll be determined by court action over the next year or so......no CGI just men/women in wigs.

• Like 1

Much collecting of facts figures on vehicles and vehicle failures in Germany and yet supposedly their cars are reliable, 

where in fact they are at the foot of reliability tables, and high on the lists for engine failures.

Not many Countries and Government Agencies can compete with the German for being able to manipulate figures & statistics,

and the economies finances.

2.4 Million vehicles in Germany to be 'Fixed' properly using the Euro.  

& what sort of Insurance is covering what requires doing in other countries, and at cost to others that are not just VW Germany.

Are VWG buying in parts from others, or producing in other non European Countries and manipulating the Importing and Exporting of parts and Tax laws in their usual way?

Every Cloud can have a Silver Lining down the line.

While someone some place losses money, more Millionaires will be made, likely more German millionaires.

Doubtful that any of the Heads of VW have their assets in American banks now.