How long is your commute?

slicendice

Just wondering how long/far people have to travel in order to get to work? 

I'm currently fortunate in that I only have a 10 minute journey (~4.5 miles), but with house prices in the area at eye-watering, panic-inducing levels, it seems the only way to afford anything is to move further out of town. Which then obviously leads to the question "how far is too far?"

What sort of distance/time would you think is too much? I guess it varies from person to person and also on what type of journey it is (motorway, country roads, traffic jams, etc) but I'd be interested to hear personal experiences.

Edited by slicendice

My commute is 14 miles by car (each way) and depending on traffic, this can be 35 minutes or A and B roads up to 60 minutes if the traffic is horrid. Thats from the Stockport area to Macclesfield.

I cycle to work 3 times a week, by bike my commute is 12 miles mainly using a public trail and that takes me around 60 minutes including some horrid hills!

60 minutes for me is the maximum I want to spend commuting each way. If you do 10 miles in that time or 70, it doesnt matter as it's the time that is important IMO.

• Like 2

43 miles and approximately 35 minutes if I set off at 0350 for a 0500 start.

45-50 minutes if I set off at 0450 for a 0600 start, and anything between 60 and 90 minutes for a 0700 start.

If 0700 start, I normally set off at 0530 to ensure I'm there on time.

Regardless of what time I start I then have either a 1 or 1 1/2 mile walk.

If a 1115 or 1230 finish, then my commute home is normally 30-35 minutes. If a 10 hour shift and 1500-1530 finish than that 30-35 minute commute could turn into a 90-120 minute commute.

Right now.

About 15 miles in the car to park and ride then bus into town (free parking and bus is £22 a month). Takes about 40-60min. Roadworks are an agony though since they throw out the bus time and you can find yourself stuck for 30min.

When I move

About 35 miles each way 40-50min. But I'll be car sharing with a mate and getting to use his work parking space and only have a 10min walk from there.

I used to

I use to do a 55 miles each way commute on single carriageway roads. Took about 75min each way.

Bloody miserable and not something I would ever contemplate again. My tractor overtaking record was 17 of the buggers on one leg.

I've always had to commute at least 20 miles each way even when I was at uni so I don't really know anything else.

Edited by Aspman

Old job was 5 miles into town took 40mins in car so I bought a motorcycle, took 5 mins :)

New job is also 5 miles but away from town so takes 15 mins in car which is less time then it takes me to un chain my bike and put gear on.

Another one in the 15 to 20 minutes category here.

In the past I've had one post that took 15 minutes walk, 5 minutes waiting for a train (if on time), one hour in train, and 10 minutes walk (and reverse except that the wait could be 25 minutes going home), and that is getting towards too much IMO.

The office is a 45 second walk round the corner. I don't drive it, because there's no parking at mine, so the car lives at work.

But from there, I can be anywhere the work takes me.

Edited by StevesTruck

I suppose, as has been pointed out, it's more the time than the distance that's the major factor.

Mind you, if I were to live somewhere that required, for example, a 10 mile commute (which isn't very big in the world of commuting), it would mean a ~222% increase in my overall weekly mileage...and therefore also my weekly fuel costs  :|

I guess it's swings and roundabouts...

Depends which of my sites I go to, but could be any of these:

• 94 miles (London)
  • 38 miles (two sites in same town - Northants)
  • 60 miles (Worcester)
  • 91 miles (Leeds)
  • 100 miles (Manchester)

About 2.5 miles as the crow flies, I drive it for 6 months when it's too cold or always raining, and bike it across a field and onto a cycle path for 6 months when it's dry.

A fair few people at my work have about a 40 minute commute on horrendous roads, after a 12hr night shift, I don't know how they do it.

I used to have to contend with 35 miles each way of the M60/M62.

That would take anywhere from 70 - 90 minutes each way.

Horrible Motorways. When I left that job, I vowed never again.

I do 38miles M6/M62 takes 45 to 90mins, (usually about 1hr)

I suppose, as has been pointed out, it's more the time than the distance that's the major factor.

Not just time, but predictability.

A commute that takes you exactly 45 minutes each way on free flowing roads is no bother at all.

A commute that might take half an hour, or might be twice that is a real nightmare. You end up having to leave an hour before work to guarantee you'll be there on time, and then some days sit round for half an hour.

Mine at the moment is 20-25 minutes in the car to do ten miles, or 45 if I cycle, though I expect to be changing jobs soon so that will increase.

My last commute was from Westcliff-on-Sea to SW8 (Wandsworth Rd, near the MI6 building and the New Covent Garden flower market)..  43miles and a couple of hours each way.

It was a hellish trip made bearable by doing it on a motorbike.

Yesterday -Worcester-heathrow-stanstead

Today-stanstead-brum-Worcester

Nearly 500 miles in the jaaaag and still got some fuel left

Tomorrow-Worcester-cambridge-Worcester

260 miles. Dacia probably.

750 miles. Quite week.

Mine's 3.5 miles each way.  20 minutes give or take according to traffic. I'll start cycling again soon as there's a pretty good cycle route, as I'm getting soft and haven't felt like cycling over the winter.

Gaz

Mine's 3.5 miles each way.  20 minutes give or take according to traffic. I'll start cycling again soon as there's a pretty good cycle route, as I'm getting soft and haven't felt like cycling over the winter.

Gaz

What's Cycling.........is it like putting things in bins to be collected by men in Orange suits............

32 miles of M1>M62>M606 each way. Has improved lately but normally se off at 6:40am for an 8:30 start and finish at 16:45 and usually walk through the door at 6pm (used to be between 6:30 and 7pm).