Emissions remap

matnrach

Thanks for the info. I am surprised that the fix does change the number of injections per cycle. This would have a direct influence on durability of the injectors and I would have thought it would take a considerable time to ensure that all the durability criteria pass offs were met (not to mention the cost!). In the  time taken to implement the 'fix' I would very much doubt that this would have been done to the same standard as the original engine which is a little concerning. If this shortcut was taken then what other shortcuts were done to introduce a 'fix' to the public i.e long term reliability, tests on older engines etc etc etc

• Like 1

The injectors would more than likely have been signed off for a defined number of cycles during development. If the predicted lifetime cycle count from the change stays under that limit they're fine. The fact that we don't know what any of these numbers are will leave room for people to blame it rightly or wrongly.

• Like 1

Increase in soot production as a consequence of increased EGR rates would be more of a concern if I were an owner, though they are at pains to deny that this will happen, somewhat contrary to logic.  Many owners who've had the fix have noticed more frequent DPF regens, which is entirely consistent with more soot.

• Like 1

I guess another piece of info that is widely available on this forum but I will ask anyway.

What is a 'normal' distance for a DPF regeneration?

The first one in my possession was about 650-675km 

The video you posted showed pre-fix distances of 400-600km. I've only logged a single regen on my CR140 car and it was ~580km.

If you're getting above 650km it's seems a decent distance in the context of those numbers.

On 9/27/2017 at 14:13, S00perb said:

I think the words you were looking for are "they just took off their cheat software "

(we will get you to 1 billion soon enough)

how can anyone take  anything   VW or it's self proclaimed spokespersons say seriously ever again?

I've just sold my Superb TDi 170. It had the fix carried out in May and after that it was significantly less responsive and returned a higher fuel consumption. In fact I would go as far to say it was a completely different car after the fix - and not in a good way. Very disappointing. 

Edited by RPC

in five years I have noticed probably 10 to 15 regens, never had the dpf warning light.

I do 99% short journeys. less than 10 miles normally and I bought the car fully prepared to blast it down the motorway once a month.

Not been ruined , I mean "fixed" and wont be.

I have been monitoring regens and they have been at about 320miles. I did  short journey and it went down to 280miles seen on the VAG DPF app (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.applagapp.vagdpf)

I am certainly going to get the original software put back.

http://www.dynomap.co.uk/ say they can do it but its quite expensive (£200).

Anybody used these or know of the good place to go to get the original map NOT a remap

Edited by matnrach

1 hour ago, matnrach said:

I have been monitoring regens and they have been at about 320miles. I did  short journey and it went down to 280miles seen on the VAG DPF app (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.applagapp.vagdpf)

Anybody used these or know of the good place to go to get the original map NOT a remap

I can't comment on how good or bad the tuner is, but make sure to ask them if they're able to rewrite the software part of the map as well as the data part. From what I've seen/read, the 23R6 update makes substantial changes to the data structure on the ECU so a simple reflash of the original data blocks won't be sufficient.

Also, if possible can you ask them to do a comparison of the updated map to the original to see what's changed?

15 hours ago, RPC said:

I've just sold my Superb TDi 170. It had the fix carried out in May and after that it was significantly less responsive and returned a higher fuel consumption. In fact I would go as far to say it was a completely different car after the fix - and not in a good way. Very disappointing. 

I've just sold my 170 too! Fix was carried out a while back and had exactly the same fuel consumption afterward and if anything more responsive, It always did a lot between regens before and after as I do very little town driving. Discovered how different some people's driving is when a salesman took me for a spin in Dublin recently, lights, junctions. roundabouts etc etc 40 mins never above 50kph. To me that's a sad existence for any engine :)

The FB group The Volkswagen Diesel Customer Forum (Emissions Scandal) has 6000+ members and more joining all the time. The main issues post 'fix' are EGR valve problems, cars going into 'limp' mode, rough running engines & injector faults.

• Sad 1

^^^ If that is the Main Issues, then what are the less common ones, not much left that can go wrong is there?

Has anyone come up with what the complaints to VW Group or the DVSA / DfT since Paul Willis testified in February that after 420,000 vehicles had been dealt with in the UK out of 1.2 million the complaints were only 1% and not all had faults according to him / VW.

Also he said 20,000 a week were being 'Fixed', 

At that rate there would be more fixed by now than had Defeat Devices in the first place, and that is unlikely.

So how many out of 1.2 Million have been in to take the gamble that VW Engine Management software will have adverse affects on them?

On 22.9.2017 at 12:55, matnrach said:

So I have had a look at the free VAG DPF app and it says it has not regenerated for the last 650km which seems OK.

I very rarely do short journeys so maybe the fix will make little difference to me.

I need to gather more data 

If you're getting 60mpg and that distance between regeneration I'm inclined to think it has been tuned already...

What software version does the VagDPF app say you're having? Can you post a screenshot? 

yurgh, the 650km was when I first got it up so it probably had longer journeys before |I picked it up. Now it is about 300miles (480-500km) 

I will try and take a screen shot . I have entered the VIN number on the Skoda website and it states that the car has already been been 'fixed' 

On 10/11/2017 at 20:50, matnrach said:

I'd like to use this VAG DPF (or similar) to know when my car is performing a regen but I downloaded the free version to test and although I connect to the ECU I get a message to indicate it can't read the CAN protocols, the message indicates this could either be due to my ECU or the ELM device.

Does anybody know if a 58 plate Superb II 140BHP ECU should be able to connect (anybody done it) and if so any suggestions on an ELM device to use would be welcome.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, matnrach said:

Also, any idea why after regeneration the measured soot mass is negative any it never matches the calculated soot mass?

I think it's just theoretical math based on how much fuel was used and what were driving conditions - speed,  rpm, temps, etc.

I'm using free version and during last regen I was refreshing every minute or so - I was stationery of course ;) - the higher oil temp on maxidot the more soot was "removed".

1 hour ago, Gdcobra said:

I'd like to use this VAG DPF (or similar) to know when my car is performing a regen but I downloaded the free version to test and although I connect to the ECU I get a message to indicate it can't read the CAN protocols, the message indicates this could either be due to my ECU or the ELM device.

Does anybody know if a 58 plate Superb II 140BHP ECU should be able to connect (anybody done it) and if so any suggestions on an ELM device to use would be welcome.

I use a ELM327 V1.5 bluetooth. It is about 4 years old and works fine on my 64 plate 140hp. I would have thought it would work on your 58 plate as the same ELM327 worked on my 06 plate Renault

1 hour ago, matnrach said:

I use a ELM327 V1.5 bluetooth. It is about 4 years old and works fine on my 64 plate 140hp. I would have thought it would work on your 58 plate as the same ELM327 worked on my 06 plate Renault

Well I've got a couple of ELM adaptors both work communicate with the ECU (I can see RPM and other parameters in Torque ETC) but it seems that the VAG DPF app' need to communicate a bit deeper via some CAN protocols and either the plug-in or the ECU aren't allowing this, just trying to find which.

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎13‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 13:43, matnrach said:

Here is the screenshot  

Screenshot_20171013-133607.png

As you can see on the screen shot, the car has done around 22k miles. When it does a regeneration , it shows about 22% clogged (at 100% it performs a regeneration).

My question is what happens at 100% i.e at approx. 100k miles. Will it regenerate permanently?