What annoyed you today?

Aspman

Can anyone find or tell me where to get a new voice from? Mine has decided to desert me for the last few days.

The way I'm feeling, at the moment, I don't think I'll leave this warm cosy bed all weekend!

• Sad 3

Numpties driving around with 8-10cm of snow on their cars and dumping half of it in front of those behind.

If I were the Polizei I'd be pulling them over, make them remove it and issuing a €50 on the spot fine. Absolute clowns. 

• Like 2
  • Love it! 1

On 30/11/2023 at 15:24, Cakemonster said:

Amazon...

"The carrier is unable to gain access to the front door to deliver the parcel"

Except, delivery is to the Amazon Counter in the local Post Office...

🤬🤬

Do you not have an Amazon Hub locker you can have things redirected to? Secure storage open 24 hrs accessed with a barcode they email you either from your phone or printed off at home. 

2 hours ago, Colin170CR said:

Hospital car park charges are a tax on the sick, newborn parents & any other visitors.

When our 2 kids were born (30+ years ago) the local hospital car parking was free. Now it's a minimum of £1.50 an hour.

Our 1st born took 35hrs to arrive so that would have cost me £52.50 at today's costs.  

Similar prices here - 1/2 hour free, then 2.10 for 1 hour and ever upwards. I think ours is capped per day (might be 7 quid - it's been a while since I've done an all day stint) but if, like yesterday, you make two visits in the same day then you pay for both so to-ing and fro-ing can add up quickly. Fortunately if you're visiting someone who will be in for 7 days+ then you can get a free pass.

Assuming, of course, that you can find somewhere to park as the staff have to use it too. On a nice day I'll park for free a mile down the road in the local park and walk up.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, @Lee said:

Do you not have an Amazon Hub locker you can have things redirected to? Secure storage open 24 hrs accessed with a barcode they email you either from your phone or printed off at home. 

Not normally an issue as I'm home all day, just didn't want Mrs Cakemonster seeing the the delivery. 

Yes, there's a locker at the local Shell garage - no guarantee they could find that either...

After spending 25 years of life in in distribution, Amazon's logistics leave a lot to be desired.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Colin170CR said:

Hospital car park charges are a tax on the sick, newborn parents & any other visitors.

When our 2 kids were born (30+ years ago) the local hospital car parking was free. Now it's a minimum of £1.50 an hour.

Our 1st born took 35hrs to arrive so that would have cost me £52.50 at today's costs.  

At Addenbrooke's Hospital, in Cambridge, the first hour costs £3.10. The charge for 2-4 hours is £9.10.

My disabled wife has a blue badge, which is great (if one can find a space!). A few years ago her GP suspected a leg abcess and sent us to to Addenbrooke's for an ultrasound scan. Instead, A&E gave her an X-ray which of course was unable to spot a deep abcess. They then faffed about for so long in A&E that by the time she was released we had ovestayed the permitted 4 hours on her blue badge and we found a penalty charge slapped on our windscreen. The A&E department is always completely chaotic.

7 minutes ago, OldTrilobite said:

At Addenbrooke's Hospital, in Cambridge, the first hour costs £3.10. The charge for 2-4 hours is £9.10.

My disabled wife has a blue badge, which is great (if one can find a space!). A few years ago her GP suspected a leg abcess and sent us to to Addenbrooke's for an ultrasound scan. Instead, A&E gave her an X-ray which of course was unable to spot a deep abcess. They then faffed about for so long in A&E that by the time she was released we had ovestayed the permitted 4 hours on her blue badge and we found a penalty charge slapped on our windscreen. The A&E department is always completely chaotic.

Lodge an appeal.

Can you guess what has annoyed me today?

People who park on the footpath always annoy me but when it plainly obstructs wheelchair users and people with reduced mobility that takes it to another level.

And to then boast about it to the world........... 😒

When I politely confronted people parking in that manner I would point out the neighbours who were wheelchair users and the mothers with pushchairs and children going to the local shop, they mostly said they hadn't thought about that.

Sorry for having a pop or if I misunderstood the posting but it pushed all my buttons, one of them died last week.

• Like 3

After 2 frustrating days I'm struggling to get a new video doorbell & chime unit to pair up & talk to each other. 

Not sure if it's me or the vague instructions but it ain't working for me.

I've read everything twenty times, watched all the YT videos, read all the FAQ's, Googled the problem & I'm still none the wiser.

I may have to get my son over to have a go at it because he installed a similar model at his place a few weeks ago. 

The manufacturers tech support has been less than helpful, they just want a video of what I'm doing so they can assess the situation. 

Quite how I'm supposed to use my phone to take video of what I'm doing when everything I'm having to do is via an App on my phone I don't know :wall:

I may have to resort to asking my wife to video me on her phone using the App & narrating the process for some tech in his under pants somewhere to comment & confirm what I already know, that something is wrong😖.

Is it me or is everything getting far too technical & far too complicated these days?  

• Sad 3
  • Groan 1

8 hours ago, Colin170CR said:

After 2 frustrating days I'm struggling to get a new video doorbell & chime unit to pair up & talk to each other. 

Not sure if it's me or the vague instructions but it ain't working for me.

I've read everything twenty times, watched all the YT videos, read all the FAQ's, Googled the problem & I'm still none the wiser.

I may have to get my son over to have a go at it because he installed a similar model at his place a few weeks ago. 

The manufacturers tech support has been less than helpful, they just want a video of what I'm doing so they can assess the situation. 

Quite how I'm supposed to use my phone to take video of what I'm doing when everything I'm having to do is via an App on my phone I don't know :wall:

I may have to resort to asking my wife to video me on her phone using the App & narrating the process for some tech in his under pants somewhere to comment & confirm what I already know, that something is wrong😖.

Is it me or is everything getting far too technical & far too complicated these days?  

Modern tech can be so frustrating when the whole idea is to make stuff easier 🙄

There may be a way to do a screen recording on your phone (there is for iPhone (settings - control centre)), which may be what the support guys are after.

2 hours ago, SteveTheElder said:

Modern tech can be so frustrating when the whole idea is to make stuff easier 🙄

There may be a way to do a screen recording on your phone (there is for iPhone (settings - control centre)), which may be what the support guys are after.

Thanks. I'll have a look. 

I think my brain needs  Firmware upgrade to coupe with all this stuff.:sadsmile:

This is one of the reasons I decided to retire a few years ago. Everything was getting far too complicated - at least for me.

• Like 2

The continuing stupidity of some sections of the so-called intelligent species - reading about a Gondola full of tourists capsizing in Venice because they persisted in standing up to take selfies after being instructed to stop. 😒   

• Sad 3
  • Groan 1

Mums BT email account was shut down over the weekend ‘for her safety, potential security blah blah’. She’s in a care home but receives the very occasional email still so we log in weekly  to check alls well. 
To log back, she needed to answer her security question, which we knew, and having done that BT would send her a verification code . .  . . . . yes, to her email account. Which we couldn’t log into 😂

• Like 1
  • Crying 1
  • Groan 4

The doctors surgery...

Had a crap evening and night last night...   Cold, shivering, dull aching side, painful peeing so reckon I've got a bladder infection.

Called the surgery, on hold for 40 minutes to be told 'sorry it's now after the 10:30am cut off for appointments so there's nothing we can do'.  Tried arguing and asked for the practice manager but she wouldn't talk to me.

Phoned the sister surgery up the road on a different number and got the same receptionist and response.

Tried the local pharmacy and they said sorry but they can't prescribe antibiotics for UTIs yet so try the walk in centre, A&E, or 111.  Well the first two have horrendous waiting times so tried 111.

Nice lady on 111 triaged me, took my symptoms (which I'd sent to the surgery earlier today) and said yes you definitely need to be seen today.  She just laughed when I told her I'd tried the surgery and what thier response was and said she'd message them to tell them I had to be seen today.

So I now have an appointment...   But why oh why is it so ****ing difficult to get past the jobsworths on reception??  It's not like I'm a frequent user as I can't remember the last time I went...   Possibly 5 or 6 years ago...

• Sad 6

3 minutes ago, skomaz said:

The doctors surgery...

Had a crap evening and night last night...   Cold, shivering, dull aching side, painful peeing so reckon I've got a bladder infection.

Called the surgery, on hold for 40 minutes to be told 'sorry it's now after the 10:30am cut off for appointments so there's nothing we can do'.  Tried arguing and asked for the practice manager but she wouldn't talk to me.

Phoned the sister surgery up the road on a different number and got the same receptionist and response.

Tried the local pharmacy and they said sorry but they can't prescribe antibiotics for UTIs yet so try the walk in centre, A&E, or 111.  Well the first two have horrendous waiting times so tried 111.

Nice lady on 111 triaged me, took my symptoms (which I'd sent to the surgery earlier today) and said yes you definitely need to be seen today.  She just laughed when I told her I'd tried the surgery and what thier response was and said she'd message them to tell them I had to be seen today.

So I now have an appointment...   But why oh why is it so ****ing difficult to get past the jobsworths on reception??  It's not like I'm a frequent user as I can't remember the last time I went...   Possibly 5 or 6 years ago...

And this is all meant to be progress and offer us a far better NHS service. What of BS, is all planned to degrade the service to such an extent that they feel that the public will accept it being sold off and we move to a pay service.😒

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Graham Butcher said:

And this is all meant to be progress and offer us a far better NHS service. What of BS, is all planned to degrade the service to such an extent that they feel that the public will accept it being sold off and we move to a pay service.😒

Personally I don't think it is as the doctors and pharmacist are good...   When you can actually get to speak to them or see them...   It's just the receptionists that seem to think they have a god given right to decide who gets to see a doctor and who doesn't with absolutely no concerns for patients and no understanding of symptoms.  

For me it was just a blanket 'no can do' because you've missed the arbitrary cut off, even though I tried to explain the situation I'm in.  Next time I'll try and be ill between 08:00 and 10:30 but the chances of getting through on the phone within that period any time after 08:10 are pretty minimal...

111 got it as they asked questions to decide the urgency or otherwise...

I think @skomaz the problem may be that they have (obviously) a finite number of appointments available, and they're probably not allowed to cancel ones that have already been arranged in favour of someone that comes along later who sounds sicker.

So they probably have these rules/cut-offs given to them out of necessity, not preference.

Our local surgery now has an online triage system which (if you're capable) happens before you can even speak to anyone on the phone.  Seemed to work OK for me on first trial.  

Glad you got the appointment in the end, and hope it's nothing serious. 👍

• Like 1

We call that trop bon trop con 😒

I could not have asked for an emergency appointment because a partner is self conscious about a false tooth but then I have never been married.

I feel for you.

• Thanks 2

20 minutes ago, Breezy_Pete said:

I think @skomaz the problem may be that they have (obviously) a finite number of appointments available, and they're probably not allowed to cancel ones that have already been arranged in favour of someone that comes along later who sounds sicker.

So they probably have these rules/cut-offs given to them out of necessity, not preference.

Our local surgery now has an online triage system which (if you're capable) happens before you can even speak to anyone on the phone.  Seemed to work OK for me on first trial.  

Glad you got the appointment in the end, and hope it's nothing serious. 👍

You may be right @Breezy_Pete...   Albeit when they contacted me after 111 had been in touch thry had two free appointments this afternoon...   So no apparent cancellation involved albeit they could have been saving them...

I think what grated was the receptionists attitude...   Saying'no' without triage due to the time regardless of how long I'd been on hold...

Having looked their reviews up this morning it seems to be a common complaint and the practice is not well regarded these days, even though it was when we joined donkeys years ago. 

14 minutes ago, Gaz said:

Mrs Gaz has a replacement incisor, which is mounted via a bridge to the tooth next to it.  About an hour ago the bridge clicked and is now moving.  Her Dentist isn't available until next week and Mrs Gaz has a day out planned in London on Monday.  She is very self conscious about this tooth.  It's come loose once before, and was re-attached then.

Realising how distressing she finds it, (she's taken herself off upstairs, having a wobble, saying 'I don't know what to do.  I don't know what to do!') and that it's Friday, and the clock is ticking, I've phoned around local dentists (her's is 20 miles away) and got her the last remaining emergency appointment, today at 4:30pm.

I'm now in trouble for having spent £49 securing that appointment, because she's with Denplan.  She's subsequently contacted Denplan, who have advised they can try to get her a local appointment, but she will have to pay for it and any necessary work, as her 'Plan' is with her own dentist, and not others.  So I've done what Mrs Gaz doesn't know to do, and got her an appointment today, which Denplan may, or may not, have been able to, and I'm still in the wrong :thinking:🤬

I've offered to cancel this afternoon's appointment, as I'm not bothered about the £49, but it sounds like she now wants to attend it.

I want to be gracious, but I'm feeling quite peeved and unappreciated for my efforts.

G

Let's face it, in this situation you were never going to win or do the right thing in the eyes of your other half.

Having been there before I now keep well out of any medical decisions / appointments. I do mine & SWMBO organises hers & I act as the taxi driver if needed. SWMBO also does all the vet appointments as well with who we've just spent over £1k with for two of our cats. They've got more meds now than I have!!

• Like 2

Most doctors are using a system called Accurx Triage and there is YouTube channel dedicated to the system called The Accurx channel here is an example of what they have to do once you have completed your on-line request, or they can do this with you on the phone. It just appears to be a long-winded system and also seems to be easy for mistakes to be made by staff and patient alike.

• Like 1