Fuel consumption

Morning all.

I have a question, a guy I met this morning had a 2.0tdi and was raving about getting 60-70 mpg on a run. Is this true, I do 450miles a week in my current car (s max) so looking to change.

Is the superb really that good or do I go back and consider a fabia estate.

60 - 70 mpg as shown on MFD is VERY optimistic. The displays are notorious for being at least 10% optimistic. Driven carefully, I reckon that you should realistically get 50 - 60 mpg on a run. My guesstimate is based on my TDI140.

Drefaldwyn

Well who can comment on how he drives or anyone else.

Was he alone in a car with a manual or an automatic, does he drive easy warm the car up, before going on longer journeys in all weathers with tyre pressures checked.

New Fabia Estates are not getting good MPG's be them diesel or patrol considering the Euro 6 engines fitted.

Maybe less than 45 litres for 450 miles. but then a Skoda Superb Diesel can do that even getting 60 mpg.

Chip or remap and 2.0 TDI 170 DSG 4x4 will do 60mpg no problem at all :) as long as you don't go faster than 70mph ;)

Edited by jafo

ive had my 2014 superb 2.0tdi se manual . since 06/2015 it had 13k on the clock when i bought it,  on its1st run to the north east from bristol the maxi dot said 74mpg now that was an almost perfect run 60mph in cruise hardly had to change gear, Ramp it up to 70 and your looking at low 60,s mpg, i didnt believe the computer but sure enough i refilled when i got there and it was as near as dam it, well impressed

My DSG 170 Superb Estate gets 45-47mpg motorway with heavy traffic on way in and home. 72-74mph(dash reading)  on cruise where possible. 

Traffic crawling very bad for mpg it seems. 

I've had my 2.0 TDi 170 for almost 4 years (come 01 Feb 2018), done exactly 112,115 miles in it, over a mixture of all types of roads, and have recorded every mile done and every drop of fuel put in the tank as at 11.30 this morning. (I have HMRC related OCD :angry: )

Car has returned 48.79 MPG.

It's fairly easy to get 60+ mpg showing on the dash over a single run if

a ) you want to drive like Hoke Colbourn, but life is too short for that game

and

b ) you Ibelieve the notoriously inaccurate dah display.

I reckon my 48.79 is an accurate and realistic real-world result.

• Like 1

My car,  140hp, L&K, five 1/2 plus years and 78000 miles will regularly see plus 60 to and from work, 48-53 other wise. Maxidot at these times will show as high as 80 and 62 respectively. Winter though drops those figures by 5mpg.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Razzertrevor said:

Just done sixty miles mpg 60 on motor way on Cruze control at 70 mph 

Even on my petrol If I hit cruise control @70mph I can do about mid 50's mpg

Overall true average mid 40's mpg

How about a 1.6 diesel - likely to average about 60mpg

Depends on a lot of factors. First of all 4x4 and DSG will eat up the most fuel, regardless of driving style/distance, compared to 2wd and/or manual shift. Also driving distance, style, weather, nr. of passengers, luggage and even tyres can make a difference :)

Don't know about you guys, but in heavy city traffic i have between 8-9l/100km, while on motorway i can get even 3.8-4l/100km if i drive sedated.

If i wake up and cruise @ 140-160km/h i can get around 5.5-6l/100km.

Numbers are from maxidot, for a 4x4 DSG, remapped from 140 -> ~180PS, 400NM.

High torque is good, but in city driving you end up most of the time "under-toured" in high gears/low rpm, which is good for fuel, but kinda bad for the diesel engine :) 

As an yearly average i'd say about 37mpg, but i drive >90% in the city so....

After many years of having this car, i still absolutely love it, but it's a highway cruiser...not a city speeder

Edited by zice
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, zice said:

... i can get even 3.8-4l/100km if i drive sedated.

I don't think that is a very safe thing to do, although judging by the behaviour I see on the road every day it is quite popular!

5 hours ago, Gdcobra said:

I don't think that is a very safe thing to do, although judging by the behaviour I see on the road every day it is quite popular!

It took me a while to understand what do you mean, but then i realised what you thought i meant by sedated :) no way, it was just a bad choice of words, i meant driving in a fuel efficient way, avoiding unnecessary accelerations, more aware of upcoming situations, etc :)

• Haha 1

Greetings.

Out of curiosity I've worked out my mpg before and after "the Fix" using brim to brim fuelling (ignoring the fillups and mileage when I'm towing the caravan). I keep a record and details of all purchases; sad I know. It's only since retirement.

Please note my journeys without the caravan are split about 55% local (10miles-ish) and 45% "going out" (around 50 miles a time). I only really bought the car for towing & touring with the 'van which account for around 30% of the cars total milage.

Before the fix (approx 12 months ownership) average 35.52 mpg

After the fix (since July 1 2016) 39.5 mpg - MFD usually shows average of between 42 and 46 mpg) On a good run, MFD shows up to 60 mpg. Never seen it above that.

Towing the 'van no real change at around 32 mpg.

AndyW

I am typically getting 40 - 42 MPG but I am dragging around a 4x4 manual with a 'fixed' 140 engine.  Not brilliant but I wanted the 4x4 so can't complain and happier working with a manual :-)  I am occasionally towing a heavy trailer circa a 500 mile round trip drops things to 35 - 38MPG!!......

I am looking at a fix rollback for next year, followed by remap so will be interesting to see how things compare then.  My figures are actual MPG from mileage/fuel records.  The MFD is not the most accurate...!  Cheers Dave

Edited by TasMan
Spelling

According to the MFD:

2400 km traveled, average speed 37 km/h, 4.6 litres per 100 kms (61 mpg).

Since it's according to the MFD, it doesn't amount to much. Usually have at least one passenger and light luggage on board, driving cycle is well mixed between highway and city driving.

The best I've seen was 3.5 litres per 100 kms (81 mpg, according to the MFD, again, not long ago after having all injectors replaced). The car had been sitting a couple hours after driving, so it was halfway warm. 15kms of driving, half of it at 80km/h, the rest at 60km/h according to the MFD. Maybe hit one or two traffic lights at the end, the rest was pure cruising.

Another trip, about 250km. 3.8 litres per 100kms (74 mpg), most of the ride being locked at 100km/h. Average speed probably between 75-80 km/h. I do the same drive every couple of weeks. With near freezing temperatures and rainy weather the display was at 4.2 per 100 kms (67 mpg).

When I've been trying to hit those low numbers for fun, I've even turned off cabin heat to let the engine warm up faster.

• Like 1

2014 1.6 TDI  6sp manual, 20,000 miles under my ownership,  brim to brim calculations over 2+ years  (not maxidot) shows 50.5 mpg, on 70% urban/semi country roads, 30% motorway.

Best full tank, non motorway driving was 64mpg, with 2 very long drives in convoy averaging 60-70kph  - 67 mpg.

Best full tank measurement, almost all motorway, one person on board but loaded up - 64mpg.  (That was in the UK - on the Irish motorways I use I get 7 mpg less. UK motorways are much busier and you slipstream behind lorries/SUV's etc a lot more.

As for the Maxidot - the only time I find it is reasonably accurate seems to be when I have done a tank that is the 70/30 mix above. 

The 75 I saw on the mid in the UK on a full tank of almost all motorway driving, was nonsense. Maybe if I coming out of the Scottish highlands, with summer diesel, downhill, slip-streaming behind a massive lorry, after eating a barrell of beans and hanging my butt out the window for a bit of fart  assist....maybe then....