noise insulation

7 hours ago, gigolea said:

Why not a strut bar?

Not saying you shouldn't. But in one post you're saying this is family car in other you're adding struct bar which is mainly for really quick driving and keeping front sturdy as possible in turns. In normal driving conditions this is complete waste of money and has nothing to do with noise :D was just wondering, why would u want to do it. 

P.S.: Nice work with every thing!!! The biggest difference in whole noise reduction experience for me was filling B pillars with foam. Literally every where I could fit. I used foam for chairs as @digifish suggested. This gave largest difference of all I did. I also filled with same foam dashboard and the diesel engine noise is now seriously damped. about 30% reduction in noise. Feels much more away now. I'm looking into getting proper Silent Coat material to replace these foams (50mm thick) for pillars and dashboard. Could give even greater result. 

Edited by JackySi

17 minutes ago, JackySi said:

Not saying you shouldn't. But in one post you're saying this is family car in other you're adding struct bar which is mainly for really quick driving and keeping front sturdy as possible in turns. In normal driving conditions this is complete waste of money and has nothing to do with noise :D was just wondering, why would u want to do it. 

P.S.: Nice work with every thing!!! The biggest difference in whole noise reduction experience for me was filling B pillars with foam. Literally every where I could fit. I used foam for chairs as @digifish suggested. This gave largest difference of all I did. I also filled with same foam dashboard and the diesel engine noise is now seriously damped. about 30% reduction in noise. Feels much more away now. I'm looking into getting proper Silent Coat material to replace these foams (50mm thick) for pillars and dashboard. Could give even greater result. 

Where do you get 50mm Silent Coat foam? I found only 35mm foam with adhesive. How did you plan to install it? 

Just now, Paikesejanku said:

Where do you get 50mm Silent Coat foam? I found only 35mm foam with adhesive. How did you plan to install it? 

Oh you don't, the seat foam I used was 50mm thick. I will get 35 yeah, well basically I didn't glue it inside the dash, I just pushed it in and the force of foam keeps it in place. I removed basically every thing on dashboard I could reach (vents, centre screen, instrument cluster, glove box) and then just carefully filled in where there was empty space (avoiding stress on cables, vent tubes or how to call them). In the B pillars same story, I just squished foam in every place I could. Basically every thing is covered with the foam now. For B pillars best would be getting some sort of spray foam for noise insulation and fill that in every direction. LIke this one:  TEROSON PU 9500 - https://www.henkel-adhesives.com/it/en/product/sound-dampers/teroson_pu_9500_foam.html 

But I suck with these foams (last time I was using Polyurethane foam, I made HUGE mess, not inside car ofc, that would be very wrong) so instead I rather filled it with foam.

I have to say at 200km/h you can only hear wind noise now. Basically the road noise and engine noise is so much quieter with every thing that wind noise is now the main noise. 

1 hour ago, gigolea said:

Has anyone silenced the central

tunel? How do you disassemble it?

That would be a monumental job to get the seats and carpets out.  If you really wanted to go for it I'd go under the car with the Silentcoat.

So can anyone offer a link to the type of foam they are using for filling these voids please? I did my TF with Silent Coat type product a while back and transformed it from a rattling tinny thing to a much better car with doors that 'thunk' instead of sounding like they were going to fall off! I'd like to use some foam as well on the S3.

8 hours ago, Bigpikle said:

So can anyone offer a link to the type of foam they are using for filling these voids please? I did my TF with Silent Coat type product a while back and transformed it from a rattling tinny thing to a much better car with doors that 'thunk' instead of sounding like they were going to fall off! I'd like to use some foam as well on the S3.

I used this, rolled up and tightly wedged in. I didn't want anything glued in incase the car ever needed bodywork or I needed to get access for any reason.

https://www.carinsulation.co.uk/product/8-sheets-car-sound-deadening-foam-10mm-closed-cell-foam

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Steviedakota said:

I used this, rolled up and tightly wedged in. I didn't want anything glued in incase the car ever needed bodywork or I needed to get access for any reason.

https://www.carinsulation.co.uk/product/8-sheets-car-sound-deadening-foam-10mm-closed-cell-foam

thanks - thats helpful.

Has anyone found benefit from attaching this to the underside of the parcel shelf in the hatch? Wondering if that will reduce noise from that area?

1 hour ago, Bigpikle said:

thanks - thats helpful.

Has anyone found benefit from attaching this to the underside of the parcel shelf in the hatch? Wondering if that will reduce noise from that area?

Thought about but the shelf is actually quite well insulated, and I think it would look pretty crap.  I'd be aiming to reduce noise before it gets there so all around the boot area, rear hatch and rear wheel arches.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

makes sense - in my TF it just needed small pieces of deadening stuck in key places to remove 90% of the noise inthe boot and under the bonnet. I've only done 200 miles in my car so far and most of the noise is from the 19s anyway, but I think I could make a few small improvements.

To be honest if you have noisy 19's (do you know the db rating?) you wont really see any gains until you really go at the wheel arches and boot floor.  When it is time to replace the tyres seek out a low db rating and the change will be dramatic.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

yep- given a choice I would have ditched the 19s but no other option. I believe the tyre options are also a little limited but hopefully there will be a quieter option. Its a brand new car so we're talking a long way off yet. 

I'm tempted to get at the arches and floor though. I think I still have some deadening left over that I can use up. I haven't read all this thread yet but are there some posts about how to get at the right areas?

So it appears most are using a self adhesive noise deadening material or a thick foam that potentially "stays in place" due it being "stuffed in to place".

If I was to attempt to place some "Carpet Under Felt" similar to the picture below (that is one of my previous rides, (2015 MD Ford Mondeo Titanium TDCi Wagon) what type of adhesive would you recommend?

Must be NO SMELL!!!

Any thoughts on a suitable product to use?

20 Spare Tyre.JPG

you could try carpet tape - I have a mate who is a carpet fitter and he gave me a roll a while back. Its pretty much designed for this purpose, so as long as you thoroughly clean and de-grease where you want to apply it, then it should work I would have thought. 

I'm not sure how effective underlay will be at sound deadening but it will stop movement and rattles. The stick on panels add mass and stop vibrations and resonance while closed cell foam reduces transmission of noise effectively. Not sure underlay will really do either very well, but if you have it to hand then worth a try.

Edited by Bigpikle

On 21/05/2019 at 20:55, Steviedakota said:

These are the two areas I packed with closed cell to block any noise traveling along the hollow sills.

1.jpg

I just went back in here today and filled the lower voids with foam (stuffed it in with a long screwdriver until it would not go anymore) and then back filled the top of the B pillar today. Below, around and above the seat-belt roll. Will report tomorrow what difference it makes as I have to drive over my coarse chip road then. Glasses for scale...

IMG_20190608_162506.thumb.jpg.e2a2ef0dfa7e3e677df59dc7425837f8.jpg

While reassembling I managed to bend and mash one of those metal clips you can see in the lower left of Steviedakota 's pic. Whacked the panel to clip it in, with the clip not aligned with the hole. Some re-adjustment with two pairs of needle nose pliers fixed that. Probably one of the most forgiving clips on the car :) 

Also what a difference some practice makes, in 1/2 the time I took to do one-side last time, I did both.

Edited by digifish
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, digifish said:

IMG_20190608_162506.thumb.jpg.e2a2ef0dfa7e3e677df59dc7425837f8.jpgWhile reassembling I managed to bend and mash one of those metal clips you can see in the lower left of Steviedakota 's pic. Whacked the panel to clip it in, with the clip not aligned with the hole. Some re-adjustment with two pairs of needle nose pliers fixed that. Probably one of the most forgiving clips on the car :) 

Good job, I did exactly the same with one of the metal clips, mashed it good, as you say at least you can bend them back into shape.

It's also so much less nerve-racking doing it for the second time when you know how everything works. You can actually enjoy it!

3 hours ago, digifish said:

I just went back in here today and filled the lower voids with foam (stuffed it in with a long screwdriver until it would not go anymore) and then back filled the top of the B pillar today. Below, around and above the seat-belt roll. Will report tomorrow what difference it makes as I have to drive over my coarse chip road then. Glasses for scale...

IMG_20190608_162506.thumb.jpg.e2a2ef0dfa7e3e677df59dc7425837f8.jpg

While reassembling I managed to bend and mash one of those metal clips you can see in the lower left of Steviedakota 's pic. Whacked the panel to clip it in, with the clip not aligned with the hole. Some re-adjustment with two pairs of needle nose pliers fixed that. Probably one of the most forgiving clips on the car :) 

Also what a difference some practice makes, in 1/2 the time I took to do one-side last time, I did both.

I just bought replacements when doing these jobs. All of them. Costs are minimal (like 1€ for  20 clips). I could never get original ones back into shape properly and if I did they would be too soft later and create various noises. 
When doing passenger side I also broke one of the small clips that hold black pillar plastic and sill together so will probably have to replace whole sill trim. Its not cheap but not so expensive either. It's not big deal though, but I am mad at my self for breaking it.