What have you done to your Superb III today?

I stopped in Bloxham for petrol. Loads of different diesel, but the only petrol on offer was the E10. First tankful of that stuff, so I'm curious to see how it goes. Last tank of Shell V-power gave me 35.9 mpg, which is in the middle of my expected range. I do a lot of short urban miles.

• Like 1

After another low mileage year (3500 this time) it's been serviced, MOT'd and taxed today (it's only money after all 😐)

No misting DCC shocks on this year's advisory (it was on the previous two years) though corroded upper front springs and crap rear discs make their third 3rd appearance.

32 minutes ago, unclerichy said:

After another low mileage year (3500 this time) it's been serviced, MOT'd and taxed today (it's only money after all 😐)

No misting DCC shocks on this year's advisory (it was on the previous two years) though corroded upper front springs and crap rear discs make their third 3rd appearance.

I had the same today but I done exactly 3000 since last year 😬

3 of my holidays would have been half of that too, who says you shouldn’t get a diesel if you do low mileage 😂

Edited by Danoid

22 minutes ago, unclerichy said:

Low mileage year here as well. Probably similar to you.

Rusting hubs are on my list to sort. Very noticeable eyesaw through the alloys. Nothing too expensive but when the weather warms up, wheels off, clean off surface rust on hubs, treat & spray paint black. Might even have a go at the calipers as well.

No DCC issues yet🤞. Had new discs a few months ago (56k) & last MOT was advisory free. Still lovin the 280 L&K Estate.     

More a case of what I haven't had done today. For the 2nd Saturday in a row I got a call from the tyre fitters to tell me their wheel balancer is still out of action and could I re-book for next weekend.

This is a chain rather than an independent so the fact that they have been unable to fit a tyre for the last two weeks must mean a whole lot of money is not being earned, so is this a kosher excuse or just BS?. Tyres were ordered and paid weeks ago for so wondering whether its a case of they just haven't turned up yet.

As & when they finally get done I'll maybe name names.

17 minutes ago, Gammyleg said:

More a case of what I haven't had done today. For the 2nd Saturday in a row I got a call from the tyre fitters to tell me their wheel balancer is still out of action and could I re-book for next weekend.

This is a chain rather than an independent so the fact that they have been unable to fit a tyre for the last two weeks must mean a whole lot of money is not being earned, so is this a kosher excuse or just BS?. Tyres were ordered and paid weeks ago for so wondering whether its a case of they just haven't turned up yet.

As & when they finally get done I'll maybe name names.

I'd get the tyres off them, deduct fitting charge & get them fitted somewhere else.

5 minutes ago, Colin170CR said:

I'd get the tyres off them, deduct fitting charge & get them fitted somewhere else.

That is an option but I would then forfeit the "free fitting & balancing" sweetener.

On 25/02/2023 at 15:42, Gammyleg said:

That is an option but I would then forfeit the "free fitting & balancing" sweetener.

You’re forfeiting the fitting and balancing entirely at the mo. If you’re not in a rush then all good though

On 25/02/2023 at 15:42, Gammyleg said:

Halfords fitted and "balanced" my tires in a such way that I was unable to speed... anything more than 70mph would result in a massive massage of my hands.... worst service ever.

13 hours ago, lmb said:

Halfords fitted and "balanced" my tires in a such way that I was unable to speed... anything more than 70mph would result in a massive massage of my hands.... worst service ever.

Very poor, however in my case it's not Halfords.

1 hour ago, dunc69 said:

Stage 1 remap today at Avon Tuning. 

272 to c. 350bhp.  

Picked it up 2 hours ago.  
Have only really had once chance to accelerate hard - yep, it’s certainly quicker!!

DFE32E15-7DC1-49D9-8FC0-5576872C2BCE.thumb.jpeg.5d9ecbee4c7bafb159eb643a6181ba3e.jpeg

More noticeable perhaps is the increased torque making picking up speed at lower speeds effortless and really smooth.  More drivability is what I was after so, so far so good!

I’ll add further thoughts when I have done more driving!

It does make quite a difference.

At least yours looks clean. After a 100 mile round trip today to Burford & Swindon mine looks like it's just done the Paris to Dakar rally!! HS2 works all over the place & heaps of mud on the roads.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Yep, I cleaned it yesterday on the basis that it looks like I care about the car to the guys who are working on it.  

Pretty filthy already having done a couple of climbs up the Coombes in the Mendips.  

Tough to keep a car clean in North Somerset at the moment! 

Anyway, a car transformed!! 💪🏼

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, dunc69 said:

Tough to keep a car clean in North Somerset at the moment! 

Tough to keep a car clean in South Surbiton too at the moment, I can tell you, as the bloody Sahara is being dumped all over us again… 🙄

• Groan 1

29 minutes ago, numskull said:

Tough to keep a car clean in South Surbiton too at the moment, I can tell you, as the bloody Sahara is being dumped all over us again… 🙄

Yep, sand everywhere.  Who’d be a detailing fanatic right now! 

5 hours ago, dunc69 said:

Stage 1 remap today at Avon Tuning. 

272 to c. 350bhp.  

Picked it up 2 hours ago.  
Have only really had once chance to accelerate hard - yep, it’s certainly quicker!!

DFE32E15-7DC1-49D9-8FC0-5576872C2BCE.thumb.jpeg.5d9ecbee4c7bafb159eb643a6181ba3e.jpeg

More noticeable perhaps is the increased torque making picking up speed at lower speeds effortless and really smooth.  More drivability is what I was after so, so far so good!

I’ll add further thoughts when I have done more driving!

How does it compare to the Kia now?

2 hours ago, Bigeater said:

How does it compare to the Kia now?

Great question!

It feels as fast now. It should.  350 bhp and 340 ft lb vs (Kia) 365 bhp and 376 ft lb, but 100kg lighter and AWD rather than RWD. 

It doesn’t have the aural drama of the Kia (V6 and fake noise) but it has better build quality and way more room for the family. 

So, in short, happy.  Thanks for asking. 

• Like 1

I put Gandalf on the Dyno today as I was curious to see how much power it was actually making with the APR Stg 1 ECU tune and DSG tune.

I'm happy with the results.  

The torque was shigher than I expected.

Outside Air temp was 20 degrees.

Did 3x runs.  Each time it did approx. 220 kw and 530 Nm.

Being the stock IS20 turbo and intercooler, the Intake Air Temps (IAT) was getting too high, making the ECU reduce power towards the end, as u can see in the graph.

A larger intercooler will help vastly with sustaining the power curve for much longer.

Tis next on the cards.

Max: 222.7 kW / 532.3 Nm

401028063_6396770_RappaiSuperbAPRStage1Jpeg.thumb.jpg.c5db7a16d2b8ff5cefea531fea60e799.jpg

414488242_PXL_20230301_2308207132.thumb.jpg.224284c2aeebd3a57fc636fe5c1b380d.jpg

Edited by JR RS
  • Like 4

4 minutes ago, JR RS said:

Being the stock IS20 turbo and intercooler, the Intake Air Temps (IAT) was getting too high, making the ECU reduce power towards the end, as u can see in the graph.

How much air is blown by the blower thingy while the test is done?

Is it a slight breeze, or is it flying down the freeway at 160kph?

The intercooler effectiveness will partly depend on the rate of the air flow past it.

26 minutes ago, JR RS said:

I put Gandalf on the Dyno today as I was curious to see how much power it was actually making with the APR Stg 1 ECU tune and DSG tune.

I'm happy with the results.  

The torque was shigher than I expected.

Outside Air temp was 20 degrees.

Did 3x runs.  Each time it did approx. 220 kw and 530 Nm.

A larger intercooler will help vastly with sustaining the power curve for much longer.

Tis next on the cards.

Max: 222.7 kW / 532.3 Nm

401028063_6396770_RappaiSuperbAPRStage1Jpeg.thumb.jpg.c5db7a16d2b8ff5cefea531fea60e799.jpg

414488242_PXL_20230301_2308207132.thumb.jpg.224284c2aeebd3a57fc636fe5c1b380d.jpg

Impressive torque figure. Which APR Stage 1 map did you go with?  Also are those figures above at the wheel?

1 hour ago, Haystack1 said:

How much air is blown by the blower thingy while the test is done?

Is it a slight breeze, or is it flying down the freeway at 160kph?

The intercooler effectiveness will partly depend on the rate of the air flow past it.

i think the blower speed was in between - wasn't a breeze nor was it gale force.

1 hour ago, Donweather said:

Impressive torque figure. Which APR Stage 1 map did you go with?  Also are those figures above at the wheel?

Yeah, i'm pleasantly surprised with the nice high torque figures, then again, i do have the "Hi-torque" APR Stage 1 tune (as shown in the graph), and coupled with the APR DSG tune, its allowing Gandalf to produce that much power.

Edited by JR RS

3 hours ago, JR RS said:

i think the blower speed was in between - wasn't a breeze nor was it gale force.

Yeah, i'm pleasantly surprised with the nice high torque figures, then again, i do have the "Hi-torque" APR Stage 1 tune (as shown in the graph), and coupled with the APR DSG tune, its allowing Gandalf to produce that much power.

Are those figures ATW?

Also looking at your graph you’d be best to upchange gears earlier than redline. 

Any reason why you're not getting the 370 HP (275 kW) APR are quoting on their website, including a power curve similar to this?

https://www.goapr.com/products/software/ecu_upgrade/parts/ECU-20T-EA888-3-T-IS38

620640880_APRStage193AKI.thumb.PNG.7d84601b11d465e43b982ac7c486fb22.PNG

Edit just realised you have the smaller turbo....damn those are impressive torque figures from the smaller turbo!!!

Edited by Donweather

9 minutes ago, Donweather said:

Are those figures ATW?

Yes

8 minutes ago, Donweather said:

Also looking at your graph you’d be best to upchange gears earlier than redline. 

not me doing it - it is the guy who owns the dyno machine, who does countless Golfs (GTi, R) and Audis (RS, S, Q).  

i reckon he knows a thing or two about what he is doing.

3 minutes ago, JR RS said:

Yes

not me doing it - it is the guy who owns the dyno machine, who does countless Golfs (GTi, R) and Audis (RS, S, Q).  

i reckon he knows a thing or two about what he is doing.

Damn impressive torque at the crank then!!!

No my point was given your significant power drop off from around 4800 RPM you'd be best to change up a gear as both your power and torque die rapidly from 4800 rpm onwards.