What have you done to your Superb III today?

1 hour ago, leolito said:

Is not what what I have done "to" my Superb today, but what I have done "for" it ... I took a deep breath, cough up what is due, and got a new HEX-V2 from Gendan, to take over my old HEX-CAN which became .... obsolete, it seems.

Will bundle it up with my old trusty Dell laptop that is also due for replacement, and try to sell the combo to another happy user.

I am taking it easy ... after all, this is my first "non project" car in many years 🙂

However, next in line: mudflaps

Did you sell your old HEX-CAN ? I'm in the same boat now, I looked at the price of the new ones and noticed there was a trade in value. A €100 towards a new one as a trade in. The supplier actually said I'd be better off selling it online! I jist sold old HEX-CAN Unlimited VIN cable for nearly €400! That makes it a cheap and easily justified purchase of the HEX-V2!

• Like 2

On 15/04/2024 at 20:31, leolito said:

I am actually inclined to 'downsize' as well.

Unfortunately, I don’t think that would make much of a difference to tyre roar, except by having less rubber on the road, but changing the tyres will. The tread on the Conti All Season are far more pliable and sidewalls are softer and fatter than the OE P7’s and both these contribute to the lower level of noise. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, JR RS said:

In two years time, during the service, I'll ask them to put the G12evo in.

Shove one of those Silikat cartridges in the tank - that’ll keep the cr@p at bay in the meantime. 

IMG_0254.jpeg

IMG_1613-compressed.jpeg

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, numskull said:

Shove one of those Silikat cartridges in the tank - that’ll keep the cr@p at bay in the meantime. 

Do u happen to have a part number for that?

4 hours ago, numskull said:

IMG_0254.jpeg

IMG_1613-compressed.jpeg

Problem with the cartridges I thought is that inside the header tank you have the two metal probes, they then rub on the cartridge and leak the pellets out.

Can’t win if that’s true but I’m sure I read it somewhere where it happened to them

9 hours ago, defsix said:

Did you sell your old HEX-CAN ?

I did not use the 'return/trade' option, also because of logistic complications, I'd rather a straight sell. 400eu is a fantastic price, my compliments! I found the bill from Gendan in 03/15 and it was 307gbp ... wow

Will address this when the new lead comes.

9 hours ago, numskull said:

Unfortunately, I don’t think that would make much of a difference to tyre roar, except by having less rubber on the road, but changing the tyres will.

Correct indeed, noise is more an issue of the quality and age of the rubber. But I was also wondering about the ride quality ... the "sportiest" I ever had was 235/45-17 on an old A6 Avant, so 235/40-19 is pretty intense.

Will see for all-season tires, but historically my geographical position warrants dedicated winter tires, while a but more complex (and costlier) arrangement, it pays off by the added level of safety it provides. I made the switch years ago and would not go back, at least for an all-year runner.

So my plan is to get some 17s and use them as winter, and will compare with the current (old) ones 🙂

• Like 1

Replaced the boot switch as the old one was acting up.  The same switch failed on my wife's Superb about a year ago.  Very simple job and part is available on Amazon for €20.

Screenshot 2024-04-18 at 10.22.04 a.m..png

Screenshot 2024-04-18 at 10.21.59 a.m..png

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Danoid said:

Problem with the cartridges I thought is that inside the header tank you have the two metal probes, they then rub on the cartridge and leak the pellets out.

Can’t win if that’s true but I’m sure I read it somewhere where it happened to them

Well, in my case, the bottom of the cartridge is resting on top of the level probes, not falling below them, so the ends of the probes are not rubbing against the side of the (very tough) membrane of the cartridge.  

image.jpeg

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Steviedakota said:

Replaced the boot switch as the old one was acting up.  The same switch failed on my wife's Superb about a year ago.  Very simple job and part is available on Amazon for €20.

Screenshot 2024-04-18 at 10.22.04 a.m..png

Screenshot 2024-04-18 at 10.21.59 a.m..png

I replaced mine last year as part of a reversing camera upgrade. Had a devils own job to get the old one out which I managed to break one of the tangs off. And that was with the rear hatch panel off as well so I had access to it on both sides. Skinned a few knuckles that day! 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Today was the 170k km check, with brake fluid replacement, as well as interior filters.

I asked for a quote to recalibrate my Front Assist sensor as it had stopped working from a light bump into another car (5km/h, the car before me stopped right after having moved at a green light...) 2 years ago, and the lane assist stopped working a few month back after Skoda replaced the alternator after it broke (the pulley broke in august 23 and I was in for 1600€ to replace the alternator...).

They didn't want to calibrate the sensor (for Front Assist) because apparently, the part behind the plastic cover on the front bumper had moved due to the bump (I suspected that already) and it was not held firm anymore and might have stopped working again after the calibration.

The thing I don't understand is that apparently, Lane Assist is also tied to this part . She kept talking about the "computer" being this part at the center of the bumper, instead of sensor. Why would the "compute" part of this system  have an issue because it moved ? Isn't it rather because it's a sensor ? What's the part behind the plastic cover in the bumper ? Sensor or computer ?

And if it's a sensor, is the Lane Assist really tied to it ? I thought it was linked to the front cameras at the top of the windshield instead.

She was not able to tell me of I had to replace the whole bumper (it's in a good looking condition, but the absorbing foam has broken with the bump, and from pictures I've seen, both the foam and sensor/computer are attached to the chassis and not the bumper.

Can you please enlighten me about what does what regarding Front Assist/Lane Assist and most frequent issues/parts to replace when they break after a front shock ?

Thank you very much

Edited by Iryngael
precisions

52 minutes ago, Iryngael said:

Can you please enlighten me about what does what regarding Front Assist/Lane Assist and most frequent issues/parts to replace when they break after a front shock ?

Possible you just need to get a new sensor mount. Take the cover off and see if there's any movement in the sensor at all.

• Like 1

@Iryngael -

Lane Assist uses front camera (A5 in windscreen) and ACC radar (also used for Front Assist), behind the centre grille cover.

Lane Change Assist uses blind spot radars inside the rear bumper.

so, the Superb went in Tuesday, I picked up my Kodiaq and I drove it home today.

On some questions: for @coppertop there are a couple of options from Lumise and others. Page for some perusal: https://www.jussinmaki.net/ajoneuvovalaisimet/merkkikohtainen-herate/skoda/c/2635/

The Kodiaq I bought actually only has HBA and not matrix, making a new Elite (without LBA) easier. The other way to do this with Matrix involves the BCM. There is apparently a signal for full high beam on CAN... so you push that to the BCM. I looked into this for the Superb and they ended up taking  a different route (and I never checked which one nor how they did it).

. Bret

• Like 1

Air vacuum pump to avoid sweaty back?

1 hour ago, ApertureS said:

Another teaser photo for all....

image.thumb.jpeg.2e1aee67365c57c5c578687d8b6d9186.jpeg

(No glue, tape or anything else used to stick it)

So they don't blow smoke up your backside then 🤣 

My wife's Kona has heated & ventilated seats. My view is that the heated seats give you piles & the ventilation cools them down! 

Don't think I've used the heated seats in my Superb🤔 

• Haha 2

10 minutes ago, Colin170CR said:

So they don't blow smoke up your backside then 🤣 

My wife's Kona has heated & ventilated seats. My view is that the heated seats give you piles & the ventilation cools them down! 

Don't think I've used the heated seats in my Superb🤔 

Out of interest, how noisy are your ventilated seats? This first one ive done is really noisy when on setting 3!

42 minutes ago, ApertureS said:

Out of interest, how noisy are your ventilated seats? This first one ive done is really noisy when on setting 3!

I normally use mine on 1 which you wouldn’t know was on at all (sound wise). 3 you can hear but it isint what I would call loud or noisy imo. I can get you a video in the morning if that helps any. 

• Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, ApertureS said:

TBH I've not used the ventilated seats in her car so I can't say. I'm driving it on Tues so I'll do a test.

30 minutes ago, UndertheRadar said:

I normally use mine on 1 which you wouldn’t know was on at all (sound wise). 3 you can hear but it isint what I would call loud or noisy imo. I can get you a video in the morning if that helps any. 

Same thing for me. On setting #3, you can hear a light/discrete buzz. The more it's silent in the car / outside, the more you can distinguish it. But once again, it's discrete... 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, UndertheRadar said:

Phone right next to seat so slightly louder than it actually is in car when I listen back to the video, but gives an idea. I’ve had to keep it short so it posts the video as well. 

IMG_5898.mov

Thanks for that, just wanted to check it is fairly loud as mine are :)

• Like 1

I agree with @UndertheRadar, phone close to the seats amplifies a bit the actual noise level. Mine make an equivalent noise level. It's overall quite discrete.

On 21/04/2024 at 21:11, Colin170CR said:

Don't think I've used the heated seats in my Superb

Wow - use ‘em all winter!

On 21/04/2024 at 21:22, ApertureS said:

I have mine on 3 when needed. The only time I can hear the fans really operating - and this is odd - is when I pull away, as it seems to be connected to the vehicle speed somehow, as it seems to boost the fan speed as the revs rise. 

• Like 1