Superbly Disappointed Part 1

We purchased a 2020 Superb Combi 1.5Tsi SE at the end of January, ordered as a priority due to the Octavia TDi being declared an 'uneconomic repair'  I chose the Superb SE as to fitted our needs and has been hailed as the best car in the sector. We had no time to test drive a Superb and besides, the sort of extended test I would need to carry out invariably isn't available, so I trust the 'experts'  I am genuinely pleased with the car, its dynamics, architecture and space HOWEVER, I am sorely disappointed with the electronic technology that has been shovelled into the vehicle that is a dangerous distraction from safe and competent driving.  You only need to checkout the plethora of 3 letter acronyms in the brochure that are proclaimed as the state of the art without once explaining their function or need.

Starting off with A)  The adaptive cruise control 

I have been a fan of cruise in my vehicles for the past 20 years that I use intelligently, switching it in and out to maintain good steady progress over many (sometimes hundreds of) miles that I am fully in control of.  Adaptive cruise takes that control away as it has a mind of its own as to whether it accelerate, decelerate or violently brake as it cannot finesse all the surrounding vehicle.  I find it both irritating and possibly dangerous that the ACC slams on the anchors as you pass a vehicle legitimately in the left lane.  This occurs in speed restricted roadworks where at times all three lanes of a motorway can be travelling at different speeds and where cruise control is a distinct advantage, especially where the roadworks can be 20+ miles long.  Today, I entered a long motorway off-ramp in cruise and passed a slow moving wagon in lane 1 of the motorway at which point the car slammed the anchors on to the fright of my wife!  God help anyone who could have been following me.  This raises a BIG issue for our trips to Europe where we have in the past relied on cruise control to easy the long journeys.  Using cruise control whilst legitimately passing vehicles on the left side will result in a stop/start progress   Don't the engineering nerds/geeks at VAG realise that their vehicle will be used outside of their normal countries?  All I want is a non-adaptive cruise control.

B)   DRIVER ALERT! - TAKE A BREAK!

It appears that I may have exhibited a too relaxed driving style and the stupid vehicle electronics had determined that I was falling asleep!!  I can assure everyone that I was fully alert and driving very safely and making good progress.  I have always been considered by others to be a particularly smooth and relaxed driver even when competing in motorsport events and I find it somewhat objectionable to be told that I appeared not to be driving properly by a stupid machine!

This is just the beginning as the car has too many gimmicks on the basis of 'cos we can' rather than because it is needed.  If there was a Superb (or any other competent similar car)  without any of the gizmos I would have bought it, but we are stuck with an electronic nightmare.    

As an aside, Clarkson's Sunday Times column this week end was quite amusing in that he was ranting at all the nerd advice relating to the tech to be included in his new house, as he says, he is fully capable of turning the heating on and off manually and doesn't need a potentially suspect electronic gizmo that needs a cocktail stick to press the buttons!!  So where are his principles in relation to the electronic junk that now plagues modern motoring brought in by the farhtocrats in Brussels?   

I've had the ACC throw the anchors on, usually when someone in front is slowing down to turn off somewhere on an A road. My conclusion is that one needs to be more aware of whats going on on the road and actually knock the ACC off in such situations. Works fine on the motorway.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, evilC said:

Don't the engineering nerds/geeks at VAG realise that their vehicle will be used outside of their normal countries?

The car knows where you are and alters it's bias if you're in a LHD or RHD country.

• Thanks 1

I recall a phrase from my engineering apprenticeship days when the foreman would loudly proclaim across the workshop that 'a p88s poor workman will always blame his tools'. Usually after some hapless apprentice had committed some heinous crime against engineering practice. (often me of course!)

Seems strangely appropriate for the thread. 😜 Just like any new tech you just need to learn how to use the systems.

My dear old Dad had problems when they put more than 4 forward gears in cars. Couldn't get on with it until I explained to him that 5th gear was not like the overdrive button he had on his previous car. He hadn't used fifth gear at all in the first 3 months he had the car. I seem to recall he had some choice Celtic words about 'modern bl***y technology'. He couldn't blame Brussels though; that was still just in a foreign country somewhere close to where he ended up fighting a war.  

• Like 1

I've just 'escaped' from Spain/France (another thread methinks) and ACC was faultless [*] as it kept the chosen safe distance from the car in front - in France that matters! If you have the car putting the brakes on you simply need to look beyond the 'Flying Lady' - except Skoda don't have one. The driver alert system mean you aren't traveling in a straight line and instead are wandering across the lane, Lane Departure Control would have you complaining the steering wobbles. If people think you drive smoothly then they usually ride with a driver using Braille. That's maybe a bit harsh but I doubt it's the car....

[*] fly strikes on the sensor shield seem to give a 2-5sec ACC unavailable message, although a quick push of the stalk, followed with a pull has always reset it.

This is in Spain/France - the car is minging, never had a windscreen/bonnet/valance look so bad.

6 hours ago, evilC said:

We purchased a 2020 Superb Combi 1.5Tsi SE at the end of January, ordered as a priority due to the Octavia TDi being declared an 'uneconomic repair'  I chose the Superb SE as to fitted our needs and has been hailed as the best car in the sector. We had no time to test drive a Superb and besides, the sort of extended test I would need to carry out invariably isn't available, so I trust the 'experts'  I am genuinely pleased with the car, its dynamics, architecture and space HOWEVER, I am sorely disappointed with the electronic technology that has been shovelled into the vehicle that is a dangerous distraction from safe and competent driving.  You only need to checkout the plethora of 3 letter acronyms in the brochure that are proclaimed as the state of the art without once explaining their function or need.

Starting off with A)  The adaptive cruise control 

I have been a fan of cruise in my vehicles for the past 20 years that I use intelligently, switching it in and out to maintain good steady progress over many (sometimes hundreds of) miles that I am fully in control of.  Adaptive cruise takes that control away as it has a mind of its own as to whether it accelerate, decelerate or violently brake as it cannot finesse all the surrounding vehicle.  I find it both irritating and possibly dangerous that the ACC slams on the anchors as you pass a vehicle legitimately in the left lane.  This occurs in speed restricted roadworks where at times all three lanes of a motorway can be travelling at different speeds and where cruise control is a distinct advantage, especially where the roadworks can be 20+ miles long.  Today, I entered a long motorway off-ramp in cruise and passed a slow moving wagon in lane 1 of the motorway at which point the car slammed the anchors on to the fright of my wife!  God help anyone who could have been following me.  This raises a BIG issue for our trips to Europe where we have in the past relied on cruise control to easy the long journeys.  Using cruise control whilst legitimately passing vehicles on the left side will result in a stop/start progress   Don't the engineering nerds/geeks at VAG realise that their vehicle will be used outside of their normal countries?  All I want is a non-adaptive cruise control.

B)   DRIVER ALERT! - TAKE A BREAK!

It appears that I may have exhibited a too relaxed driving style and the stupid vehicle electronics had determined that I was falling asleep!!  I can assure everyone that I was fully alert and driving very safely and making good progress.  I have always been considered by others to be a particularly smooth and relaxed driver even when competing in motorsport events and I find it somewhat objectionable to be told that I appeared not to be driving properly by a stupid machine!

This is just the beginning as the car has too many gimmicks on the basis of 'cos we can' rather than because it is needed.  If there was a Superb (or any other competent similar car)  without any of the gizmos I would have bought it, but we are stuck with an electronic nightmare.    

As an aside, Clarkson's Sunday Times column this week end was quite amusing in that he was ranting at all the nerd advice relating to the tech to be included in his new house, as he says, he is fully capable of turning the heating on and off manually and doesn't need a potentially suspect electronic gizmo that needs a cocktail stick to press the buttons!!  So where are his principles in relation to the electronic junk that now plagues modern motoring brought in by the farhtocrats in Brussels?   

I feel your pain. In order to alleviate it, you should buy a horse and cart. Since you won’t then be needing you car, you can give it to me.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

3 hours ago, defiant said:

Isn't this the overtaking, or undertaking, feature of ACC that can be disabled using VCDS?

Of course, but looking at OP's post, it obviously wouldn't have crossed their mind.

the Undertaking rule is many countries, be it LHD or RHD.  its a safety thing - cruise control or not.

in this case, @evilC should know better about when to use ACC, and when to not use it.    u can't blame the tech if u don't understand it and its operating conditions.

yes it can b disabled via vcds, but that is because many idiots like to sit in the "all-the-way" lane, hence u have no option but to undertake.

• Like 3

I noticed over the first few months of ownership that I had subtly changed my driving style and wondered if others had done the same. The thread is here and might provide some balanced views for the OP.

FWIW over two years into ownership I am absolutely a fan of ACC and use it on almost every journey, on motorways and at much lower speeds (Traffic Jam Assist function,  which is ACC plus Active Lane Guidance working together). But I did have to spend time - and ask a lot of daft questions on here:) - to really get to understand how it all works. I wouldn't be without it now.

• Like 1

I'm the same and wasn't sure at first if I'd get along with ACC, but now I find it's great and much more versatile than cruise control.  If there are conditions  where ACC doesn't work very well, I switch it off and drive the car myself and only use ACC as an aid when suitable and not expect it to drive me everywhere.

It works in conditions where cruise control won't.  For instance, on a motorway through roadworks with a 50 mph limit, you can set your speed to the limit and if, as usually happens, the traffic is heavier and not travelling at a steady speed, it'll slow down and speed up without you having to make any inputs.  It's less stressful and you don't get frustrated if the vehicles ahead are varying their speed all the time.  I keep a look out and if the traffic in my lane starts to move quicker than the lane to my right, I override the ACC with the accelerator for a few moments and it picks up the car ahead again.  I've also used it on single carriageway roads where I'm following other traffic.  We usually go to Lithuania every year to visit SWMBO's family and friends and when you're east of Warsaw, a lot of the journey is on busy single carriageways.  I've driven for about 50 miles at a time using ACC on these roads following another vehicle with the distance set to maximum to let in anyone who wants to overtake which makes a very relaxing journey when you don't have to use either of the pedals.

I found the same with lane assist when I first tried it and I wasn't sure if I'd like the resistance you feel through the wheel if you're straying out of lane, but now I'm used to it I'd miss it if I didn't have it.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, BriskodaJeff said:

FWIW over two years into ownership I am absolutely a fan of ACC and use it on almost every journey, on motorways and at much lower speeds (Traffic Jam Assist function,  which is ACC plus Active Lane Guidance working together). 

It has to be said that ACC offers far more when you have DSG and Lane Assist seamlessly coming to a halt and under certain conditions moving off automatically.

If you have a manual and no lane assist its a different story 

• Like 1

@evilC unfortunately, the tech, driver safety and assistance systems fitted to modern cars are fallible.  I'm of the mindset that they will never compensate for driver awareness and/or driver education; including familiarising yourself with the expected behaviour of the features fitted to your new car...and that's not a dig, it's simply my personal take on it.  

The systems you have slated, IME, do actually work and make your life that little bit easier (even safer) but it seems that you just started your journey without fully understanding their functionality and behaviour.  I'd recommend taking the time to read the user manual and then starting separate threads on each of your gripes and hopefully people will respond more positively in letting you know whether you have a genuine issue or give guidance on how the feature should be used.  In some cases people do this and identify that they have a genuine fault and a dealer visit may be in order.  

I think you've just become frustrated/distracted by these systems as you didn't fully understand them until using them in anger...when you also have to worry about driving the car too!  Not ideal. 

ACC is one of the best pieces of kit fitted to the Superb.  TLDR; not sure if you have a manual or DSG but the DSG does work better with ACC as the car will come to a safe stop in a traffic jam and then resume with a quick nudge of the stalk/pedal.  Much less tiring on a long journey.  A manual doesn't have this feature but ACC is still better than traditional CC, IMHO.  The system will mitigate from undertaking by design, I'm sure it's been done to prevent VW group from potential lawsuits just as much as it's been done to stop rules being broken and also endangering drivers/passengers.  You can disable this with VCDS or you could pre-empt that it's going to happen and either accelerate yourself to complete the undertaking manoeuvre (sometimes perfectly legal) or temporarily disable ACC.  You will get used to this quirk of the system and just take the necessary steps without thinking about it.  

With the Driver Alert; the system will be constantly monitoring your inputs from when you start driving the car and it will 'learn' your driving style for that journey and use this as a benchmark. As soon as you deviate from this benchmark then it will assume you've become bored/tired/both and simply prompt you to take a break.  I've had this alert a few times and TBH it's when I've been on long journeys, often into the late/early hours and I probably am tired.  Not to the level I'd fall asleep but probably at a point I should think about stopping for a cuppa etc.  Again, it's an assistance system. It won't compensate for error of judgement on a drivers part. 

Given time I think you'll actually realise that the Superbs controls and features are lot more user friendly and logically laid out in comparison to a lot of other cars.  Everything is simple, no gimmicks.  It just works.  

And finally....don't listen to word uttered by pube head Clarkson; he plays up to the tech luddite attitude to prompt a response.  He knows his onions a lot more than he makes out and is a tech geek when it comes to cars.   

Edited by penguin17
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, mandp said:

Well, I have DSG but no Lane Assist. I still find ACC a boon every-time I go out...especially in traffic.

I have a manual, ACC of little or no use in slow moving traffic involving stopping or having to change gear manually.

I really like ACC but know of its idiosyncrasies like when following somebody who turns off to the left it suddenly slows down. But once I learnt that (in the first few minutes of using it) and treat it and all the other in-car helpers solely as driver aids I would not be without it.

I've not found any of the other electronic witchcraft to be an issue either.   

Never read any of Clarkson's stuff or Murdoch press so can't comment. 

• Like 1

Just now, xman said:

I do wish people wouldn't keep saying things that most ordinary people can't and won't be able to do.

Yes, but then they can ask on here and maybe be put in contact with someone who can.  There's not many forum users who aren't local to a VCDS owner.