Goodbye

moley

Well, the time has come to say farewell. Been on the site since 2007, in which time I have owned 6 Octavia combi's, 3 Fabia's and a Superb. 

Thanks to Colin for running a very good site, There have been some very good people on the site over those years with a wealth of knowledge and expertise, sadly some of those have moved on. Unfortunately there is now a small minority of very closed minds that want to censor anything that they don't agree with and believe that they are always correct. There is no point arguing with a closed mind, so I'm not going to bother anymore.

Good luck to the true Briskodian's out there and stay safe.

Moley. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 5
  • Groan 1

Oh dear...   Not another one!

I guess the reaction you already have is typical of why?

I tend to agree with your sentiment but find the other stuff on here makes it well worthwhile staying.  Please reconsider!!

• Like 2

There are members on this site who prefer to discuss (continuously argue) politics rather than cars. That’s why the ignore feature is so good.  

• Like 3

The political stuff on here is a bit like clickbait really. No good will come of it, but just occasionally it is hard to resist ! :) Mainly, I just resist and ignore. 

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, Westbury63 said:

The political stuff on here is a bit like clickbait really. No good will come of it, but just occasionally it is hard to resist ! :) Mainly, I just resist and ignore. 

You do better than me - I find I can't ignore some of the bucolic 'crap' that gets spouted...

• Like 1

1 minute ago, skomaz said:

You do better than me - I find I can't ignore some of the bucolic 'crap' that gets spouted...

:rofl: It can be tricky to ignore. Sometimes I want to rage against posts, and others I want to agree with. 

If I file it all under 'ignore' though, I do leave the site feeling happier! :) :thumbup:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Its time @ColinD made an executive decision and shutdown the Roadside Hotel and other forums where the handful of offensive and irritating threads exists where certain individuals can be obnoxious, and often adopt the broken record style.

1. I do not spend my time on the internet permanently logged on, I do not want to be tracked, and I regularly clear cookies etc, many times a day for security reasons as I access important and sensitive information often. I prefer to check occasionally for new content simply by checking "All activity". So ignore function does not work for me and on days I see many inflammatory posts as I scan the site. You simply can't ignore them.

2. The resident moderators are too sympathetic to certain members, there seems to be a policy of Freedom members can say what they want. IIRC one freedom member even boasts about "unseen" behind the scenes helping of the site but does not say how.  Not sure, but from a brief foray into the roadside hotel, it seems that certain members have now gained the right to edit other peoples posts, becoming super biased moderators. Obvious what the consequences would be.

3. As for technical forums (my interest) there are other long resident characters who can sometimes get offensive and aggressive when they disagree with what is posted. I have tried to avoid them, but it still angers me when they try to belittle other peoples opinions, some even spend what must be considerable effort to dig up and quote ancients posts and like to accuse members of lying or talking BS. They, however, on the other hand are never wrong, and as a result people are too afraid to challenge their posts.

4. The system of reactions fosters a strange obsession in some, and like facebook is abused by some individuals to upset people.

Sorry for the lengthy rant.

Edited by xman
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, xman said:

Not sure, but from a brief foray into the roadside hotel, it seems that certain members have now gained the right to edit other peoples posts, becoming super biased moderators. Obvious what the consequences would be.

? Which Freedom members have been editing posts?

• Like 1

Sorry to see @moleyis going.  The member gives as good as they get.

As for a comment about members spending considerable effort to find ancient posts. 

Actually if you remember what you post and what posts / threads you read then it takes no time to find them.

As Judge Judy says, 'if you tell the truth you do not need a good memory'.   More than that, if you have a photographic memory then you do not need search engines.

• Like 1

As for a comment about members spending considerable effort to find ancient posts. 

Actually if you remember what you post and what posts / threads you read then it takes no time to find them.

As Judge Judy says, 'if you tell the truth you do not need a good memory'.   More than that, if you have a photographic memory then you do not need search engines.

Here we go again with the insinuations. Just shut it root.

Edited by xman
  • Groan 1

32 minutes ago, xman said:

.3. As for technical forums (my interest) there are other long resident characters who can sometimes get offensive and aggressive when they disagree with what is posted.

2 minutes ago, xman said:

:thinking:

• Like 1

Please folks, consider the mods/admins and Colin before posting inflammatory stuff. The future existence of the site could be threatened by a handful of inconsiderate individuals. 

• Like 4
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, xman said:

Its time @ColinD made an executive decision and shutdown the Roadside Hotel and other forums where the handful of offensive and irritating threads exists where certain individuals can be obnoxious, and often adopt the broken record style.

+ 1 to that.

This car forum would be a million times better for having done so, the Brexit and political mudslinging aside it is by far the best forum community I have ever experienced and in stark contrast to most others.

• Like 2

• Administrators

I held a belief people could learn, adapt and you know be better.

got a full day of work today, will respond in full this evening.

@moley take care and stay safe.

if it helps I’ve been having similar thoughts. Just trying to reconcile freedoms with hope.

clear a few and it is a few are going to force me to do what I didn’t want to.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, ColinD said:

I held a belief people could learn, adapt and you know be better.

got a full day of work today, will respond in full this evening.

@moley take care and stay safe.

if it helps I’ve been having similar thoughts. Just trying to reconcile freedoms with hope.

clear a few and it is a few are going to force me to do what I didn’t want to.

Hi Colin, rather than punish all, is it possible to just target the offenders?

• Like 1

• Administrators

I hope so.

the net is quite wide.

need to solve the river paradox and find why we keep having bodies thrown in to the melee.

human nature, I feel that’s a meaty challenge, perhaps beyond my scope to solve.

8 hours ago, xman said:

1. I do not spend my time on the internet permanently logged on, I do not want to be tracked, and I regularly clear cookies etc, many times a day for security reasons as I access important and sensitive information often. I prefer to check occasionally for new content simply by checking "All activity". So ignore function does not work for me and on days I see many inflammatory posts as I scan the site. You simply can't ignore them.

2. The resident moderators are too sympathetic to certain members, there seems to be a policy of Freedom members can say what they want. IIRC one freedom member even boasts about "unseen" behind the scenes helping of the site but does not say how.  Not sure, but from a brief foray into the roadside hotel, it seems that certain members have now gained the right to edit other peoples posts, becoming super biased moderators. Obvious what the consequences would be.

3. As for technical forums (my interest) there are other long resident characters who can sometimes get offensive and aggressive when they disagree with what is posted. I have tried to avoid them, but it still angers me when they try to belittle other peoples opinions, some even spend what must be considerable effort to dig up and quote ancients posts and like to accuse members of lying or talking BS. They, however, on the other hand are never wrong, and as a result people are too afraid to challenge their posts.

4. The system of reactions fosters a strange obsession in some, and like facebook is abused by some individuals to upset people.

Sorry for the lengthy rant.

8 hours ago, Lee01 said:

? Which Freedom members have been editing posts?

7 hours ago, xman said:

7 hours ago, Wino said:

Please folks, consider the mods/admins and Colin before posting inflammatory stuff. The future existence of the site could be threatened by a handful of inconsiderate individuals. 

Colin might not be able to address all the above tonight due to other matters but I certainly will.

Normally this wouldn't be 'on view' but I'll make an exception in light of what's been said.

Firstly I'd like to hope that @moley reconsiders his viewpoint but respect his decision whatever is decided.

Being a Freedom member shows a level of commitment to Briskoda which is certainly appreciated. It does not absolve people from adhering to the Site Guidelines however as all members are treated with the same even handed approach.

If there is any problem with moderation or how the site is run then it should not be brought up in open forum - but by PM to Colin - as per the Guidelines!

I feel that all the moderators are 'sympathetic' to all the members and not just certain ones as has been implied. I think that I know who you're referring to about 'unseen' behind the scenes help and to be blunt, just because you're unaware, doesn't mean it hasn't happened or needs divulging!

It's in plain view and directly helps Briskoda so let that be put to bed.

In 2. I presume you're referring to @cheezemonkhai as 'he has now gained the right to edit other people's posts'?

Even though he's showing as a Freedom member, his Shield also designates him as being a Moderator with the implicit right to edit/move/hide etc as the need arises. There is no such thing as a 'super biased moderator' - just because they have a differing overview on things doesn't mean they are biased!

Remember all moderation decisions are logged and subject to scrutiny by peers.

3. Your technical knowledge is not in question - neither is that from @e-Roottoot. Nobody can be correct all the time but all help is gratefully received by the person asking. It's down to them to sort the wheat from the chaff. Hopefully there's more wheat than chaff going forward.

My concern is when people do not act in an adult way regarding these differences.

@Warrior193 raises a valid point, as does @Wino but as I said earlier, Colin will reply in due course to cover any outstanding points.

• Like 4