Breaking VW Emissions Scandal -Mk I

Ryeman

If they find out, they can reject car... (When remapped, removed some parts)

Under EU reg. you have to give your car to process this fix...

So rejecting the car would be a good think. That means everythin left alone?

For those who have checked their VIN and been found wanting, could they publish the vehicle type, model,

Reg date and engine spec please.

We are on extended holiday in the USA ... and I can't remember my VIN off the top of my head...

Looks like your Octy is younger than mine, so dont think you'll have much to worry. I tried mine yesterday, and no recall. Guessing Mk3 Octys arent affected with our updated 150ps engine.

Not unexpectedly, my VIN come up as being subject to a recall. The car is booked in for a service & MOT on the 20th anyway so I'll see what the dealer (note: this is not the dealer who originally supplied the vehicle) says then.

It would be useful if other owners whose vehicles are showing as subject to recall could post their experiences as and when they do have contact with a dealer.

Given that my car was bought through a broker, doors anyone know where my first port of call would be if I was unhappy with the car if/when any remedial work was carried out? Would it be the broker, the dealer the broker sourced the car from, or SUK either direct or via my current local dealer?

The plot thickens.....

No recall shown for my 2010 vRS 170CR Diesel.........yet!

My thoughts are that whilst all affected cars may have the cheat map installed, it may only activate for the U.S. Tests. The European fix may be as simple as removing the offending code with no effect on the performance. As for the U.S., they may need Adblue modifications. My thinking - it you divide the money VW has put aside, by the number of affected cars, it only comes to £47 per car...

However, this makes very interesting watching... (Note the badge on the cam cover) (1:19 onwards if you want to skip to it!)

Edited by J&LVRS

Is that a 170BHP 2.0 TDI? 

Yes as in my siggy but just entered it again and now it does not need a recall - so they have updated the results or maybe you can only enter it once!

I would recommend patience.

You will be tracked down and get a formal notice via the post I would expect.

Nothing is going to be resolved all round for a long time I recon......there's no rush for the owner.

• Like 1

Oh No, my diesel car is killing people :o

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-34407670

Smoking only kills 100,000 people a year in the UK,........................................ but we still sell cigarettes. :think:

Dont tell me, scrapping diesels would hopefully benefit his company?

Theres a reason diesels were promoted a few years back. Because it was known they are no worse than petrols overall (taking also CO and hydrocarbons into account, and the DPFs that were on the way), and chuck out less CO2.

He suggests hybrids, which unless you do a lot of short journeys, would basically be another petrol engine, chucking out increased amounts of carbon monoxide and cancer inducing hydrocarbons.

The man is obviously a bit of an idiot. He has decided to get on the anti diesel bandwagon because a few VW diesel engines were found not to comply with the regulations in force at the time. That is not a diesel problem. It is a VW problem.

What if the next cheat is found to affect petrols? Do we start an anti petrol campaign?

• Like 2

Using the link above to the Checker on the Skoda site my Superb Greenline is also on the list where I must contact my "service partner as soon as possible"

But my Superb Greenline III, (first reg January 2014), doesn't show up as being recalled on the checker.  Up to now I had resigned myself to the fact that it was one of the affected vehicles.  There may be some light at the end of the tunnel for me?

Edited by 05surveyor

??

WTF.

Why are people wasting the time asking dealers anything, 

VW tell you that 'Everyone with a vehicle that needs an action will get a letter'.  

We will see if Every Registered Keeper does get a letter.

VW Tell you that there will be Websites and checkers and they will keep you informed and aware.

So there you go, as well to get on with waiting to see.

If any VW, Skoda, Seat or Audi dealer tells you that trade in prices are down,

then the value of Stock of used cars on their lot must be down, 

So ask them to put it in writing to get the evidence you might want in the future.

If Trade ins are worth less, then the used cars are now down in price as well, 

so that is Dealerships lost profit not the Customers, 

Low Trade in on a USED VW Group Car will have to mean lower Purchase Prices on New & Used.

VW are hot on how good residuals are, and salespeople like to quote 'Price to change'  

well price to change should be the same now, At VW Official Dealerships.

Independents might say, no way Josey!!.

?

Anyone checked 'We Buy Any Car'  last week.  

and again this week on the same car, a VW 2.0 Diesel ?

• Like 1

Oh what fun! My VIN no longer shows as having a recall against it using http://master.skoda-auto.com/mini-apps/recall-actions despite it having one yesterday. I wonder if they sneaked round last night and 'fixed' it.

I have a feeling Skoda aren't quite sure what they are doing with this recall yet.

Same here. There was one this morning :)

Seems like there is a bit mess in their headquarters. Actually I believe that tomorrow we might see a recall again and maybe day later no recall... Probably such mess will go on until the first people start arriving at dealers and they finally find out which cars are the ones they are forced to improve.

Oh what fun! My VIN no longer shows as having a recall against it using http://master.skoda-auto.com/mini-apps/recall-actions despite it having one yesterday. I wonder if they sneaked round last night and 'fixed' it.

I have a feeling Skoda aren't quite sure what they are doing with this recall yet.

I suspect that the engine details haven't even been uploaded into that VIN checker yet and that it just details the "normal" Skoda recalls relating to anything.

It just serves to give drivers "peace of mind" and so it appears that SUK are actually doing something!

I suspect that the engine details haven't even been uploaded into that VIN checker yet and that it just details the "normal" Skoda recalls relating to anything.

It just serves to give drivers "peace of mind" and so it appears that SUK are actually doing something!

Possibly, it doesn't explain the flip flopping of having no recalls yesterday morning, a recall yesterday evening and no recalls again this morning for a single VIN.

For extra giggles, the NZ website still shows my VIN as having a recall.

Still, it's early days and I'm sure they will figure it out eventually.

• Like 1

??

WTF.

Why are people wasting the time asking dealers anything, 

VW tell you that 'Everyone with a vehicle that needs an action will get a letter'.  

Doesn't do any harm in asking though does it. It's not your time people are "wasting", so no need to get so upset about it.

• Like 2

Interesting that the Skoda recall checker includes the footnote; "No responsibility is taken for the correctness of the information."

Yup. It will be the front-line staff and those on the bottom pay-grades that suffer the most. Especially if the company collapses (not that its likely - I'd expect them to be classed as too big to fail).

The directors responsible will just walk out with their payoffs.

Re Recalls.

A small point on the VIN Checker up to last week, even this week.

The words 'Recalls' Action Required,  it was Service Campaigns though.   

Dealers might or might have not told owners they had contact with their was outstanding Service Campaign items.

They Never RECALLED.   as in Advertised , agreed a RECALL with DVSA (VOSA as Was) etc.

A Receptionist might call a Customer and say,  'Your Car is Recalled',  No i dont know why etc.

So that was up to last week,

This now is a whole different set up.

This is New Actions.    But still check if you car has outsatnding Campaign Field Actions.  DQ200 DSG, Heated Seat Elements, etc.

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/332371-a-couple-of-vag-recalls

There is a proper RECALL.

That is on some 1.2 Diesel 44kw Engines cars, VW & Skoda, 

and it is on the VOSA RECALL Website.

(Oddly Skoda UK have not contacted all Registered Keepers yet.)

I still don't understand what any recall fix is going to be.  What is the point of taking out software that was only used at the federal rating level - it would never be used again on any car that is now on the road.  Our MOTest does not check NOX only smoke.  Our road tax is based on CO2 not NOX so what is all the fuss about?

Norry

• Like 1

I still don't understand what any recall fix is going to be.  What is the point of taking out software that was only used at the federal rating level - it would never be used again on any car that is now on the road.  Our MOTest does not check NOX only smoke.  Our road tax is based on CO2 not NOX so what is all the fuss about?

Norry

The way I understand it is that EU5 engines have to meet NOx requirements, despite our MOT not actually testing for it.

short story:

Illuminating!

But still waiting for a definitive list of affected vehicles. 

On with the motley!

Edited by 05surveyor

Yet more proof, should it be needed , that unmediated consumer capitalism produces poor welfare solutions, that the generalist politicians are no good at making laws in a largely technical society and that they are even less capable of standing up to vested interest.

It also, to some extent, puts to bed MHT's assertion that private enterprise always does things better than the public sector.

Surely, the very fact that cities like Paris are having to totally ban vehicle traffic on at least one day a week for public health reasons and CO2 emissions are actually changing the climate means the days of total loss vehicle engines are at an end ?

So the debate about who cheated and when, is irrelevant ancient history, at best a delaying tactic by the vested interests, both manufacturers and lap-dog governments, to push a radical re-design of vehicular traffic to the right.

Nick

Edited by Clunkclick

I'll also be looking at a full refund under sales of goods if performance or mpg are effected as a result of changes made by the recall. The legalities seem quite clear, anything upto 6 years old where the purchaser can prove the fault existed at the time of purchase (which vw have formally confirmed) can result in rejection of the vehicle and a refund of the purchase price.

Assume you mean against the dealer?

There appears to be a lot of misinformation about legal claims not helped by ambulance chasers threatening class actions.

I would be slightly nervous if I was a dealer as they could potentially be facing the first wave of claims (anything under the a sale of goods act where buyers think they can reject their car for a full refund a year down the line). Presumably Skoda UK would support their dealers but who knows.

Not so sure sale of Goods Act claim would be that straight forward. The other option is a claim against the manufacturer but you would only get the diminution in value of the car.

Contacted Skoda Customer Service helpline this morning. My car is affected and now have a Case Number They confirmed that as soon as they receive more information from VW, they will be in touch by email / phone.

Edited by teebee