Error service: leave vehicle only when selector in position p

1 hour ago, OldBoyScout said:

I don't see how there can be a properly successful fix that you can rely on while they are just replacing a defective part with another that has the same potential for failure. Some time ago there was talk on here of a revised part coming out around the end of this year, but as far as I know there is no further news of it.

Probably why the newer MQB facelift models have a completely new selector.

Just an update for my car, it's at Marshal Skoda Kidlington.  after the check They told me, "The 'part' needs replacing and the cost will be covered by Skoda, labour 'should' be covered or 50%. They are hopeful that Skoda will cover the full labour costs but I've been told not to hold my breath... Please bear in mind that I bought the car used from Skoda, Citygate Watford and not brand new.

One very odd statement was that the part is considered a modification to the original design?? He couldn't elaborate on what that meant?

The only PIA is they didn't have the part in stock and I'll have to return it at a later date - a little word of advice guys, there is a mandatory £132 diagnostic fee levied at point of entry!

11 hours ago, StriderDog said:

..... there is a mandatory £132 diagnostic fee levied at point of entry!

That's almost comical, when you consider that, usually, the only way we know there's a problem in the first place is a bong, and a statement in the maxidot telling us what it is.

Gaz

• Like 1

8 hours ago, CallmeGaz said:

That's almost comical, when you consider that, usually, the only way we know there's a problem in the first place is a bong, and a statement in the maxidot telling us what it is.

Gaz

Totally, I was a little peeved to see that little post it on his desk.

They did give the car a good inspection though and upload a video for you to view the inspection, they give you a traffic light codec sheet with follow up actions, needless to say I declined the £500 cam belt replacement as that's not due for another 20k or the A/C check at £120 or the two tyres that still have 5.6 mm of meat @ £130 each!!

• 3 weeks later...

My car went into Marshaall Skoda in Kidlington two weeks as I had the error on my dashboard, they didn't have the parts in stock so I had to return the following last Monday. They emailed and phoned me to re-book the car in as it had arrived at the workshop.

I went into the workshop the see what they were doing as I had a really good rapport with the service agent and he let me in to see what they had to do to fix the error. The car was on the ramps with most of the underside trays removed and a lot of cables pulled through the gear turret, inside the car they'd removed the gear mechanism and half the interior of the car so it seemed.

The workshop chief said they don't need to replace the whole mechanism as it's a switch that causes the error. They used something like a industrial Dremmel tool to cut away a section of the polypropylene mech body using a template, then fitted the new section with the new switch  into the cut out, I had to look really close up to see where the new section was fitted but looking at a faulty one they had I could just make out the cut lines on mine.

I was amazed how neat the job was and how the mechanics went overboard to explain how they do the job and to me it seemed like a lot of work just for a switch, he explained that this actually reduces labour and is cost effective . Once all the bits were re-assembled they tested the car on a rolling road then connected it up to the diagnostics machine, they did make a small adjustment to to the gear shifting as I said it was a little slow to change up even economy mode - this has now been completely eliminated and the car is so much smoother changing up and down. They also pushed new firmware to the head unit and updated the maps for free!!!! I was really impressed with all of the service staff as not once did they treat me like I was a gormless kid (being an electro-mechanical engineer helped) and were professional throughout the whole procedure, if only all dealer franchises were as good as these guys. All the work was done under warranty even though I bought the car 2nd hand albeit from a Skoda ~Dealer in Watford and it's three years old, double bonus!!

I'm a happy bunny, the car is more responsive and smoother through the gear changes especially when it changes down from 3rd to 2nd, Top Work Marshall Skoda!

Edited by StriderDog

5 hours ago, StriderDog said:

My car went into Marshaall Skoda in Kidlington two weeks as I had the error on my dashboard, they didn't have the parts in stock so I had to return the following last Monday. They emailed and phoned me to re-book the car in as it had arrived at the workshop.

I went into the workshop the see what they were doing as I had a really good rapport with the service agent and he let me in to see what they had to do to fix the error. The car was on the ramps with most of the underside trays removed and a lot of cables pulled through the gear turret, inside the car they'd removed the gear mechanism and half the interior of the car so it seemed.

The workshop chief said they don't need to replace the whole mechanism as it's a switch that causes the error. They used something like a industrial Dremmel tool to cut away a section of the polypropylene mech body using a template, then fitted the new section with the new switch  into the cut out, I had to look really close up to see where the new section was fitted but looking at a faulty one they had I could just make out the cut lines on mine.

I was amazed how neat the job was and how the mechanics went overboard to explain how they do the job and to me it seemed like a lot of work just for a switch, he explained that this actually reduces labour and is cost effective . Once all the bits were re-assembled they tested the car on a rolling road then connected it up to the diagnostics machine, they did make a small adjustment to to the gear shifting as I said it was a little slow to change up even economy mode - this has now been completely eliminated and the car is so much smoother changing up and down. They also pushed new firmware to the head unit and updated the maps for free!!!! I was really impressed with all of the service staff as not once did they treat me like I was a gormless kid (being an electro-mechanical engineer helped) and were professional throughout the whole procedure, if only all dealer franchises were as good as these guys. All the work was done under warranty even though I bought the car 2nd hand albeit from a Skoda ~Dealer in Watford and it's three years old, double bonus!!

I'm a happy bunny, the car is more responsive and smoother through the gear changes especially when it changes down from 3rd to 2nd, Top Work Marshall Skoda!

Have you checked that in Park the cable that engaged the parking pawl (to lock the transmission) still works correctly? Some members have found that when they had the selector replaced the garage hadn't correctly fitted/adjusted the cable and the pawl no longer engaged...

@PetrolDave It all seems to work OK, I was in a steep carpark today and stuck it park whilst I was park on a steep decline, it didn't go anywhere even before I pulled the hand brake. I've also driven the car for over a week and not noticed anything of any concern, hopefully they got mine right!😁

Mines going in next week for a fix. @stubev156 My 16 plate pre FL started pinging briefly once every 6 months from new so wasn’t a big issue. The frequency increased to once every 3 months then at 3 1/2 years old, it Suddenly pinged 7 times in 10 seconds on one long drive home. From then on, it would go bonkers for 5 or ten secs every other trip out.

Now it’s every trip out from cold  but clears after 10 mins of driving and stays out until the ignition has been cycled off then on again. Then 10 mins later it’s cleared again.

• Thanks 2

Interesting - I am awaiting a booking with Fish Brothers Swindon for a diagnosis next week sometime.  I have a non-Skoda extended warranty, and depending on the diagnosis, everything, inc diagnostics, should be covered.  I only hope that they can find out what is wrong, even if the fault code has ereased itself.  Maybe I should show them this thread. 🙂

On 02/12/2019 at 22:01, stubev156 said:

Hi SD, was your DSG  issue manifesting itself regularly, or was it quite intermittent still? Glad you got a good result....

Mine was intermittent, sometimes it would go a week or two without the error and other times it would come on several times in one day... Good luck!

10 hours ago, stubev156 said:

Thanks, It has not done it for weeks now, car not booked in until Jan 3rd....hopefully a fault will show up. 

Mine had logged and stored a fault - I forget the exact wording (it's in this thread somewhere) but it was something like "gear selector: implausible signal".

My non-Skoda (Ford) warranty covered it no problems.

Nick

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hi mine went in today and warranty work was authorised by my non-Skoda warranty.  New gear selector mechanism, apparently, region of a grand!  Not sure if that includes labour.  Not sure if the whole mechanism actually needs changing...but I am only paying £50 excess.  Waiting for part to,arrive then will see about getting it fitted.

18 hours ago, stubev156 said:

Hi mine went in today and warranty work was authorised by my non-Skoda warranty.  New gear selector mechanism, apparently, region of a grand!  Not sure if that includes labour.  Not sure if the whole mechanism actually needs changing...but I am only paying £50 excess.  Waiting for part to,arrive then will see about getting it fitted.

Ask for the old part then someone can take it apart to figure out what really needs changing...

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

Well today I had my DSG repair under my non- Skoda warranty.  All done.  Instead of replacing the gear selector assembly unit they replaced just the selector micro switch due to a TPI( ?) .   If I had paid for it myself it would have been £300 inc diagnostic scans.  Apparently it is now cheaper since Skosamisdued a TPI, I wonder if the micro switch is a new, revised part? Hopefully that is it fixed....🤞

• Like 1

On 31/01/2020 at 20:48, stubev156 said:

Well today I had my DSG repair under my non- Skoda warranty.  All done.  Instead of replacing the gear selector assembly unit they replaced just the selector micro switch due to a TPI( ?) .   If I had paid for it myself it would have been £300 inc diagnostic scans.  Apparently it is now cheaper since Skosamisdued a TPI, I wonder if the micro switch is a new, revised part? Hopefully that is it fixed....🤞

Great news! Let us know if you find the gear changing response has changed at all, mine is snappier since the work was done.

On 31/01/2020 at 20:48, stubev156 said:

Apparently it is now cheaper since Skosamisdued a TPI

I guess you are saying that Skoda have issued a Technical Product Information. It is good news, as it seems to mean that this fault is now cheaper to fix, and my car is well out of warranty.

There is a switch that now secures to the top of the selector unit and bypasses the original Park position switch. Think it can be done in situ too so no more selector units out. 

Yours should be ok now stubev156