Error service: leave vehicle only when selector in position p

9 minutes ago, freeb1rd said:

Hi Frank.  Do you mean just an ordinary garage.  Skoda want £60 for a diagnostic that might not even show it and then £160 for the microswitch if it's that.

That’s typical. They won’t do anything without diagnostics first it’s more money to them. Any decent garage with their own code checker should be able to confirm and fix. Micro switch isn’t expensive.

https://www.deutsche-parts.co.uk/vw-audi-skoda-seat-mqb-cars-dsg-gear-selector-repair-kit-new-genuine-vw-part-1.html

might not even need all that repair kit.

• 3 weeks later...

Can anyone help! I have this issue. It has appeared 6 times in 2 months. 

dealership in Edinburgh say there is no fault. Contact Skoda Uk. 

Skoda UK are saying the dealer says there is no fault. 

Car is under warranty but it’s no good if they can’t find or replicate the fault. Thanks. 

4 minutes ago, Conalk45 said:

Car is under warranty but it’s no good if they can’t find or replicate the fault. Thanks. 

I had this happen to me. Error on screen but no error code recorded. See my comment here. 

Not sure how you get around this other than to hope that at some point it is logged. 

6 minutes ago, FrankNicklin said:

I had this happen to me. Error on screen but no error code recorded. See my comment here. 

Not sure how you get around this other than to hope that at some point it is logged. 

Thanks for that… random question. Lots of people are talking about not being able to remove their key. Should I be able to place my car in neutral and remove the key. Currently I can only remove key if vehicle is in P. I assumed this was a safety feature but I’ve never owned an automatic before so unsure if this is the case. Thanks. 

46 minutes ago, Conalk45 said:

Thanks for that… random question. Lots of people are talking about not being able to remove their key. Should I be able to place my car in neutral and remove the key. Currently I can only remove key if vehicle is in P. I assumed this was a safety feature but I’ve never owned an automatic before so unsure if this is the case. Thanks. 

Key can only be removed in P position.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Conalk45 said:

Take a picture of the error message with you phone when the fault appears. Than email the picture to you dealer. This way you have prove the error started to occur within the warranty period. 

4 hours ago, Tin82 said:

Take a picture of the error message with you phone when the fault appears. Than email the picture to you dealer. This way you have prove the error started to occur within the warranty period. 

The dealer will still insist on running Diagnostics to find the error code. No Code no repair even if you can prove with a photo that the problem occurred under warranty.

2 hours ago, FrankNicklin said:

The dealer will still insist on running Diagnostics to find the error code. No Code no repair even if you can prove with a photo that the problem occurred under warranty.

The dealer can insist what he want. If you can prove the error occurred within the warranty period it should be repaired. You are not responsible for the lack of stored error codes. 

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Can i join the party!???. 

My 2015 Octavia VRS started doing this for a month now, BUT mine does it when driving!! anyone else had the message when driving??

Maybe does it once a week, flashes up on screen for a spit second and then disappears again, as it does it when driving it took about 5 time of it flashing up before i could piece together what it was saying 🤣

Whats the outcome of this?, easy fix yourself or as its a known issue does Skoda fixes for free even if car out of warranty???

Edited by BlockABoots

22 minutes ago, BlockABoots said:

Can i join the party!???. 

My 2015 Octavia VRS started doing this for a month now, BUT mine does it when driving!! anyone else had the message when driving??

Maybe does it once a week, flashes up on screen for a spit second and then disappears again, as it does it when driving it took about 5 time of it flashing up before i could piece together what it was saying 🤣

Whats the outcome of this?, easy fix yourself or as its a known issue does Skoda fixes for free even if car out of warranty???

I’m having a nightmare! 

I tried to get a refund on my car as it was under 30 days old. They wouldn’t take it back despite there being 3 significant issues. 

Faulty wheel bearing causing TPMS light. 
coolant loss. 

error place vehicle in P. 

Badly prepped vehicle as 2/3 issues are clear. 

West End Skoda said it’s Skoda UK who refund the car. Absolute rubbish. Even after being told by Skoda UK they need to refund the car they haven’t. 

Skoda UK have told West End they need to look at my car again on 12.08.22). Skoda UK need the garage to contact Milton Keynes Skoda to aid diagnostics. It’s a wild goose chase. 

Should they fail to address the issue this time I’ll be going down the motor ombudsman route. 

there is a YouTube video to replace the switch. 

15 hours ago, BlockABoots said:

Yes I only get the message while driving. Seems to be at random, but think it may be when it gets jolted. Doesn't happen very often and there are no ill effects in my case after years of seeing it. The car is long out of warranty and this is easy to live with, so I have never bothered getting it fixed.

• Like 1

On 21/07/2022 at 15:09, Tin82 said:

Normally it will flash up far too quickly to get a picture (and unsafe to do so anyway).  The fault will be logged in the Steering module.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, mbames said:

Normally it will flash up far too quickly to get a picture (and unsafe to do so anyway).  The fault will be logged in the Steering module.

It has 2 fault code location's

In the steering column control unit (diagnosis address 0016) the following event entry (sporadic/static)

is logged:

• B116229 - switch for selector lever locked in P, implausible signal

or

In the onboard supply control unit (address code 0009) the following event entry (sporadic/static) is

logged:

• B116229 - switch for selector lever locked in P, implausible signal

I will post a link here in a moment to the TPI document I posted yesterday.

https://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/505730-weird-error-message-only-leave-vehicle-in-position-p/?do=findComment&comment=5683796

Edited by varooom
More information

When I had this issue, the dealer said no fault logged.  

I said. 

“You know this is an issue for lots of people with DSG. Why do you think I am sitting here asking you to fix it?  Are you suggesting that I have made up seeing this error on the screen?”

It was fixed under used approved warranty. 

I’ve been seeing this error for a couple of years. I have a Skoda Octavia 66 plate and the car is automatic. I’m way outside the warranty period.

I’m not fast enough to get a photo as the error sounds a beep then disappears after 2 seconds. It always occurs in transit during the first few miles of my journey so perhaps I should start a video.

I’m surprised at how common this fault is. My local dealer has said it will cost around £300 to fix - they claim it is common and it is a faulty sensor which is causing this error. Does this fee sound reasonable?  Has anyone else encountered this problem whilst driving an automatic car?

The dealer claims the error is not dangerous but can be irritating and could affect the resale value if it appears during a test drive.

It is not an issue common to Automatic cars, it is common to VW Group DSG's that are Semi-Automatics.

They produce millions or them maybe the percentage with the issue is small but that does not mean the VW Group should just get away with the car buyers being landed with the expense or irritation if a vehicle is out of warranty.

In the EU & UK they can get away with anything. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Moribund said:

I’ve been seeing this error for a couple of years. I have a Skoda Octavia 66 plate and the car is automatic. I’m way outside the warranty period.

I’m not fast enough to get a photo as the error sounds a beep then disappears after 2 seconds. It always occurs in transit during the first few miles of my journey so perhaps I should start a video.

I’m surprised at how common this fault is. My local dealer has said it will cost around £300 to fix - they claim it is common and it is a faulty sensor which is causing this error. Does this fee sound reasonable?  Has anyone else encountered this problem whilst driving an automatic car?

The dealer claims the error is not dangerous but can be irritating and could affect the resale value if it appears during a test drive.

£300 sounds very good compared to what I have been quoted by Skoda!  There is a fair amount of dismantling to get to the part I believe.

A trained and qualified tech can get lots done in 90 minutes when they are not distracted and when their employer is charging £100 an hour plus vat so they should.  Nobody should be charged for hours of labour because someone is learning on the job. 

16 hours ago, roottoot said:

It is not an issue common to Automatic cars, it is common to VW Group DSG's that are Semi-Automatics.

There is a subtle difference between automatic and semi-automatic which I needed to look up. Seems that semi-automatic includes an option to change gears manually, so I would infer that most cars we call automatics are actually semi.

Obviously an error message referring to Position P is not applicable to a manual car.

How they are named is not really relevant.  It is not Tiptronics or ASG's which are 2 pedal cars that have the issue, 

just VW Group DSG's be them Wet or Dry Clutch. 

Known fault, known by them and 2 or 3 years manufacturers warranty should not apply, more like the product being fit for purpose for 6 years. 

• 6 months later...