What annoyed you today?

Aspman

2 hours ago, @Lee said:

I had to Google that as the name didn't ring any bells. No, it wasn't a Struder 80 we used. It was a much smaller R2R that would have been carried by journos reporting in the wild for things like vox pops etc. 

After a bit of a Google I'm 99% sure this is what we were using - an Uher 4000. Cutting and splicing was a bit of a faff.
https://collection.sciencemuseumgroup.org.uk/objects/co8355659/uher-4000-report-monitor-audio-tape-recorder-audio-tape-recorder
image.jpeg.ccbe700ecf3303755265fc85f81c0d6a.jpeg

The journo's used the Uher and if they had a sound person with them, we would take the legendary Nagra (finest build quality of anything I have ever used at work, even if they were a bit fiddly).

I certainly wouldn't want to edit on a Uher, I imagine it would be terrible, even with a decent EMI edit block. 

1971-4-1920x1080.thumb.jpg.f4dfe7463d352ced6e0069cd74c4202b.jpg

Edited by Lady Elanore
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, @Lee said:

Language changes and evolves but as long as the point is made who gives a rats?

No point getting wound up and annoyed about such trivialities IMO 🤷

To be honest I’m not bothered if you give a rats. The topic of the thread is “what annoyed you today?” and this did. It’s not wound me up. Perhaps go away and post another humourless “Chuckle in your day” 😏

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, BTandSid said:

To be honest I’m not bothered if you give a rats. The topic of the thread is “what annoyed you today?” and this did. It’s not wound me up. Perhaps go away and post another humourless “Chuckle in your day” 😏

I wasn't looking to get into an argy bargy. Just saying that getting annoyed about somone using a different word than you're used to isn't worth getting even slightly annoyed over.  Not with all the other crap going on in the world anyway. 

'Don't sweat the small stuff' as they say :thumbup:

17 hours ago, mac11irl said:

using Audacity, as it was recommended. situation isnt helped by having to break out the old win7 laptop to do it, as both my work laptop Nd her work issue laptop are admin locked for software installation 🤦

i've had some whiskey now though, and im finding my feet with it, have sussed out to get those little, few millsecond gaps between each sound clip so that it sounds more natural when stitched together.

whiskey always makes my tech brain run more smoothly.. solved a very complex excel spreadsheet problem while very much inebriated,which has made my life abd my colleagues lives a bit easier :D

The trick with 1/4" speech editing is to go just after the breath at the beginning of a sentence (we inhale just before we start), that's the easier option. The 'cool' option is to go inside a word itself, by looking for a 'plosive' or hard sound. eg in the word "donkey", the 'k' is a very hard sound and is easy to see and hear on software. That really only works where there is a retake of course and the words are more or less the same in repeated takes. But the 'breath' thing works a treat. Keep the original breath and try stitching the new sentence/phrase after it. 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, mac11irl said:

well, i was looking at an unofficial support site, and they did clarify that either whiskey or whisky were suitable. the dosage wasnt clear though, so i worked to my normal rate of approx 1ml whiskey per kilo body weight to be consumed within the 1st 30mins of the project - Im 5'7, 70kg, so an Irish double measure in a 1:1 water solution works out just nicely :D

Nicely played, Mac :)

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, mac11irl said:

1ml whiskey per kilo body weight to be consumed within the 1st 30mins of the project

I weigh 104kg :) 

45 minutes ago, Paws4Thot said:

I weigh 104kg :) 

well then you need 2 UK doubles plus a teaspoon...

Moving lanes to allow joining traffic to merge onto the carriageway and then a merging car speeds up to prevent you from moving back into nearside lane. Last week one driver undertook me while I was doing the national speed limit.

• Like 3

Amazon increasingly using Royal Mail for parcel deliveries - Amazon drivers leave my parcels in a safe place if I'm not at home but Royal Mail leave them with a neighbour who often isn't in when I get home so I often lose a day when I could be using/installing the item I've ordered from Amazon. Almost makes Amazon Prime not worth paying for...

Edited by PetrolDave
  • Like 3

27 minutes ago, Graham Butcher said:

MIL just asked me what was I doing special for Mothers Day, WTF, my mum passed away years ago and my eldest is now 36???

She is still a mother and her mother is probably well placed to realise that a gesture of recognition would be well appreciated by your wife but unlikely to come from the children at their age, hence her hint to you which appears to have been futile.

33 minutes ago, Graham Butcher said:

MIL just asked me what was I doing special for Mothers Day, WTF, my mum passed away years ago and my eldest is now 36???

Seance? :)

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Graham Butcher said:

Like me you've just got fathers day & birthdays to look forward to then. 

It's always a lottery as to what I get from my kids for birthday & FD. My daughter likes to wind me up with an impossible jigsaw or similar.

On the other hand our kids seem to be more inventive for mothers day & have just done a meal out & a bread baking course for my wife.

I think she's getting the better deal!

• Love it! 1

6 minutes ago, edbostan said:

Moving lanes to allow joining traffic to merge onto the carriageway and then a merging car speeds up to prevent you from moving back into nearside lane. Last week one driver undertook me while I was doing the national speed limit.

Possible frustrated that you were in the overtaking lane when not doing so?

Re the merging, I drove 1040kms on French autoroutes yesterday, people joining from the slip lanes seem to have a magnetic attraction for the only car in the nearside lane, me! Without exaggeration more than 80% will adjust their speed precisely to arrive beside my drivers door as the slip lane runs out and then shake their fist, toot their klaxon etc, the skill level to do so far exceeds that to merge in front or behind.

Before anyone mentions pulling out I always do so in advance if safe to do so when I can see traffic joining but these are drivers who accelerate up from behind hoping to force their way out, the dotted white line between lanes 1 and 2 is in bold (for want of a better phrase) beside the slip road to discourage lane changing in either direction at that point.

Woke up with severe and painful conjunctivitis in the left eye. Could barely see out of both eyes, difficult driving to the chemist down the road. Had to pay £7.98 for some antibiotic eye drops.

I think its down to too much Briskoda. Need to give it a rest.

Edited by xman
  • Sad 1

57 minutes ago, edbostan said:

Last week one driver undertook me while I was doing the national speed limit.

Only one? There is a particular type of driver I often encounter that assumes I am a middle lane hogger so speeds (considerably faster than the speed limit which I am doing) up behind sometimes headlights flashing, then swerves into the inside lane and undertakes sometimes with a finger gestures as they pass then swerves back in front of you. Why they don't use the empty outside lane (sometimes 2) beats me.

• Like 2

The middle lane is incorrect terminology, there is the nearside lane (lane 1) and one, two or more  overtaking lanes, the underlining might perhaps give you a clue what they are trying to communicate.

Granted in the variable speed limit sections during busy times all 4 lanes travel often at the same speed but at other times traffic should not be travelling in lanes 2, 3 etc unless overtaking.

My bête noire is the high proportion of French drivers that leave their left indicator on permanently when overtaking on the autoroute, well often not overtaking as they remain in it at all the time, I challenge anyone who passengers me that does it and tailgates the overtaker ahead, they never admit, "I want people ahead to move out of my way" and claim thats how they were taught by their instructor, cue a discussion as to what the use of the clignotant is intended to display to other road users.................................

• Groan 1

I stay in lane 2 if I see slower moving traffic in the inside lane that I will overtake within the next minute usually trucks. Most motorways I travel now are 4 lane sometimes 5.  So I don't see the only when overtaking argument is  particularly fit for purpose. Why have 3 or 4 overtaking only lanes? I almost always travel at the posted speed limit. (Gps a bit faster than speedo)

Edited by xman
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, mac11irl said:

if we are going to talk about motorway etiquette...

if you overtake me, thats fine, but for the love of whatever deity you choose to believe in PLEASE continue at your overtaking speed for a while and sod off down the road?

yesterday, i overtook the same blue Kuga 4 times in 20miles, because they kept passing me and then slowing down!

I'm driving a van thats limited to 125kph. thats ALL I can do so the cruise control gets locked in at that, the end. if you overtake me, its because im going slower than you were, otherwise you wouldnt have caught up to me. stop slowing down to less than 120kph after passing? please???

They only paid attention to their speedometer when the Van passed them. You where effectively waking them up.

• Like 2

The one I brake tested a week ago was repeatedly doing that Mac but when I subsequently passed and pulled back over some considerable distance ahead, the same as he did to me he was flashing his headlights and shaking his fist because of the spray being kicked up, no problem except he would overtake and then slow down again to less than my maintained 100 km/h, after a few rinse and repeats I reacted.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, xman said:

I stay in lane 2 if I see slower moving traffic in the inside lane that I will overtake within the next minute usually trucks. Most motorways I travel now are 4 lane sometimes 5.  So I don't see the only when overtaking argument is  particularly fit for purpose. Why have 3 or 4 overtaking only lanes? I almost always travel at the posted speed limit. (Gps a bit faster than speedo)

I understand your point, its not a black and white issue, travelling slower than most of the traffic on my recent autoroute journeys but faster than the trucks I would frequently get baulked or flashed by a left indicator outside lane owner driver if I pull out in advance, one vehicle anticipated well and flashed to let me out, it was a breathe of fresh air.

These were predominantly 2 lane autoroutes, much less of a problem on 3 lane ones.

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, xman said:

Woke up with severe and painful conjunctivitis in the left eye. Could barely see out of both eyes, difficult driving to the chemist down the road. Had to pay £7.98 for some antibiotic eye drops.

I think its down to too much Briskoda. Need to give it a rest.

I've been suffering for a few days as the aftermath to a bout of 'flu,  If you don't mind me asking, what was it the pharmacist gave you?

• Like 1

I think the rule (Highway code I think) that stuck with me since I passed my test in 1971 is "don't slow down the flow of traffic" in other words travel at the prevailing speed or allow others to pass.

The exception is when on a standard 2 way road when I'm travelling at the limit and some idiot behind me is tailgating dangerously and or flashing headlights. I won't be badgered into increasing my speed beyond the legal limit. Anyone engaging in a misjudged or risky overtake, I will try to help make it safe, pulling to the side if possible to give more room for a virtual centre lane and slowing if they are beside me and not passing quickly enough.

I sometimes encounter idiots who speed up as I am overtaking.

• Thanks 1