Sasha’s Octavia vRS

3 hours ago, SkodaKing said:

Lamborghini Aventador brake discs? 🤪

Don’t have the budget for those 😂

2 hours ago, tunedude said:

@SashaGrace forgive me, as this will be the most boring question known to man.......

With said brake upgrades and spacers needed, does a space saver spare still fit? Or do you not have one to even worry about such a problem?

The space saver would fit over the 20mm spacers in theory but in practice I would always put the space saver on the back anyway.

44 minutes ago, Stonker said:

Hmmmmmmmmmm, looks like whatever it is in that there box it is TUV approved🙄 but I'm still non the wiser, but I'll be watching this space👍🤗

They are TUV approved 😁 more news at the weekend.

• Like 1

On 01/10/2019 at 21:35, SashaGrace said:

Got one more mod I wanted to do pre Trax so let’s see if I can get it all sorted before then. Got loads to do on Saturday 😂 Can you guess what it is? No spoilers until Sunday though 😝

85652B5B-6FC1-406A-85CA-5B4C873C6A1A.thumb.jpeg.07be02da29ec0d332b16cbfd15081501.jpeg

40mm H & R lowering springs at a guess??

• Like 1

On 26/06/2019 at 20:00, theandywaite said:

Forgive me for putting words in your mouth, but to me what you're saying is you don't mind the touch controls because you don't use them. That's hardly a ringing endorsement. You make it work (and yeah, it's not much of a burden when you have the wheel controls instead) but I'd still call the manufacturers idiots for doing it.

I really don't think touch buttons belong in a car.  The worst offender is Citroen where the HVAC controls have to be operated via a touch screen.  Yeah, so when my windscreen steams up in the winter I'm going to take my eyes off the road, try and change the screen from radio to heating controls (while the car is bumping up and down) and then go through multiple steps to turn the blowers.  Versus pretty much every car made for the last 40+ years where it's twisting a physical rotary dial which doesn't need my eyes taking off the road at any point.

Sorry I'm not ranting at you, it's the car makers and their mis-placed desire to fit ever glossier bigger screens.

Totally know what you mean about the volume knob lining up though... I get so anxious if it's a degree off :sweat:

Spot on and that is what has swayed me from going for a Peugeot 308 SW (and the Peugeot touchscreens are really unresponsive!) and back to the VAG group - Seat Leon ST I think, 184PS TDI DSG, which I drove recently and I liked it - a lot! Gave me fond memories of my old Skoda Fabia VRS and being able to adjust the blowers and the temp without really having to look at it for me is a big bonus!

• Like 1

@SashaGrace this again is me with one's sensible head on. You've probably not even thought about it, but have you measured the height of your towbar. I watching this closely as I'm umming and arring over lowering my car because of potentially having my trailers' rear lights pointing at the sky.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, tunedude said:

@SashaGrace this again is me with one's sensible head on. You've probably not even thought about it, but have you measured the height of your towbar. I watching this closely as I'm umming and arring over lowering my car because of potentially having my trailers' rear lights pointing at the sky.

As I mentioned a few pages back this car wasn’t going to be lowered because of the towbar height issue. It now sits a bit lower than the minimum EU regulation height but it’s been retired from main tow car duty. It’ll pull the odd unbraked trailer, maybe the boat every now and again but not a caravan so I’m ok with it.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, SashaGrace said:

As I mentioned a few pages back this car wasn’t going to be lowered because of the towbar height issue. It now sits a bit lower than the minimum EU regulation height but it’s been retired from main tow car duty. It’ll pull the odd unbraked trailer, maybe the boat every now and again but not a caravan so I’m ok with it.

That's good to know. If and when I get around to sorting my suspension out, there's another tick now in the 'coilover' box. The ramp angle on my motorbike trailer is a little bit steep and if it came up any more, it'll both make it hard to get the bike up onto the trailer, but it may catch the belly pan on the ramp.

• Like 1

I have to say Sasha it's looking really well on the track 👍 😁 

I guess you noticed a bit of a difference now from when you took it round Donnington track?

• Like 1

Wow, what a eye opening thread!! Very very impressed!!

Think I'm going to do a few small things to my car after reading this thread. 

Bonnet mod

Rear tail gaurd

Obdeleven - reverse mirrors are a must

I may try to upgrade boreno 1 to a 2

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, SashaGrace said:

If you are looking to do mirror drop you won’t be successful without memory door controllers as found in cars with electric seats. The standard controllers have no memory unfortunately.

Damnnnn, don't think my seats are electric... 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, SashaGrace said:

It’s a rare option and only standard on a few cars. Was never an option on the SE so this option will require more hardware for you unfortunately.

I don't have electric seats, but I've coded it in with VCDS.

• Like 1

It'll code and work but the mirror angle can't be set and nor will it drop to the same place every time. This requires higher spec door controllers. When I either A) find a set cheap enough or B) find VCP at an affordable price for everything else I need it for and I can load Skoda firmware onto cheap VW ones I'll get some of the correct controllers and fit them to see if my theory is correct.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, SashaGrace said:

It'll code and work but the mirror angle can't be set and nor will it drop to the same place every time. This requires higher spec door controllers. When I either A) find a set cheap enough or B) find VCP at an affordable price for everything else I need it for and I can load Skoda firmware onto cheap VW ones I'll get some of the correct controllers and fit them to see if my theory is correct.

Apologies, I got the wrong end of the stick there. Yeah mine every so often has to be readjusted back up.

Edited by tunedude
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, SashaGrace said:

When I retro fitted my power fold mirrors, I had to upgrade my door controllers and went for the memory ones. Even then I couldn't get the reverse dip to work properly.

If anyone has some ideas of how to get them working, please let me know.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, WayTooTall said:

At least on the MK2, the door controller and mirror motor both need to be 'memory' types.

The difference being a non-memory motor has 3 wires where a memory motor has 7 (?) wires. The extra ones are to tell the car where the mirror is pointing.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, WayTooTall said:

When I retro fitted my power fold mirrors, I had to upgrade my door controllers and went for the memory ones. Even then I couldn't get the reverse dip to work properly.

Did you use Skoda modules rather than modules from elsewhere in the VW Group? What part number did you use?

10 minutes ago, langers2k said:

At least on the MK2, the door controller and mirror motor both need to be 'memory' types.

The difference being a non-memory motor has 3 wires where a memory motor has 7 (?) wires. The extra ones are to tell the car where the mirror is pointing.

This is interesting, I will have to research this further. This is codable as is on the Golf and Leon but not the Octy which is incredibly odd.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, SashaGrace said:

Did you use Skoda modules rather than modules from elsewhere in the VW Group? What part number did you use?

5Q4 959 593 B Drivers side module

5Q4 959 592 E Passenger side module

Folding works a treat, but no luck with memory function.
Both claimed to be from Octavias.

The other modules I had didn't work properly and got returned.

• Like 1

This is very interesting, thanks very much @langers2k I wonder if only the passenger one needs doing? I also wonder if doing just that would be enough as the door controllers I have now will do the mirror drop... more investigation required!