Installing Speed Cameras on The Amundsen MIB2 - Free Database and Quite Simple to Do!

@tunedude

Yes, I've been aware for quite a while that it works for the Columbus as well. Unfortunately I can't edit the thread title to reflect this. Similarly, you'd be surprised how many members are still downloading the outdated cameras from my original post when my latest ones are amongst the newer posts at the end of this thread - another thing that I can't edit. Thanks though.

With regards to the alert distances, despite being able to change their values - it has no effect. On browsing this issue on other forums  there seems to be a consensus that the values are already preset by the infotainment system and are determined by both the distance and the speed of the vehicle with no way of adjusting them. 

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hello team!

I do not know how this is possible, but I get the sound of the speedcam in my car and it is correct. But first I had to update an area with all four categories and what is even more strange that on the map I do not see any speedcam sign...

What am I doing wrong?

Thank you!

Check your navigation menu settings. Under the " Map " menu ensure that the " Show POIs "setting is ticked then enter the " Select categories for POIs " menu and scroll to the bottom to see the newly added speedcam categories. Then tick each speedcam category to display them on your map. If the speedcams have been correctly installed and activated you should then see the cameras by using your fingers on the touchscreen to zoom in and out of different areas of the map. Also check the settings in " Nav. announcements " if you want to enable an audible alert.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Guys, yes i know new user.

I have a V/W Tiguan 2018 and i have followed the instructions to upload the POI on my head unit, however it keeps saying failed not data.

Can anyone assist please. 

• 2 weeks later...

Great thread, thanks bigadel. Not tried it yet but I'm going to do this. I have some experience of detecting a speed camera earlier in the year. I used the much slower 'wait for the letter and attend an online speed awareness course' method,  your method is much better IMO. 

Edited by VRS_White_Hatch
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Thanks bigade1 installed on the wife’s rapid. 
Went for a quick drive to test cos I’ve got 3 fixed camera’s within half a mile of my house. 
All 3 on the same stretch of road, 2 are opposite each other and show up on the map with the icon and make the alert sound, the other one is a traffic light camera, this one doesn’t show up on the map but makes the alert sound. 
How hard would this be for me to add an icon? (or any others I come across)

I did try adding the VW maps but it was still missing, probably the same database. 
Reinstalled yours cos it has better icons:biggrin:

Thanks again. 

@LordRaiden

Unfortunately it is a slightly complicated and time consuming process to add a specific poi. It can be done by editing the original database file using a poi editor before using the programme that converts all the complete files into the specific VW/Skoda format. Unfortunately I have to rely on the accuracy of any free database I can get hold of. Some are more accurate than others but aren't free or shared. Nevertheless, it is a bit unusual for you to hear an alert yet not see an accompanying icon. I've had a similar issue before and a hard reset of my infotainment unit resolved the issue. You could give that a try, it's pretty simple - you just press and keep holding the power button in to knock your infotainment system off and keep holding the power button  pressed in until the display restarts. Takes about fifteen seconds. 

I'll try giving it a hard reset and see if it helps. 

If not I'll probably just leave it, if it was simple I might give it a go. 

It's abit weird how it alerts but doesn't show up, it's been there 10+ years and the two together that show up were put up after that one. 

Anyway not the end of the world,  it's not ones close to home you need to worry about, it's the ones you don't know about when going out of town. 

Thanks again, it's appreciated. 

Have a good weekend.  

• 1 month later...
On 24/08/2020 at 16:49, bigade1 said:

Once again, for whoever wants them, here is my latest customised version of EU Speedcams ( August, 2020 ). They consist of EU speed cameras which I've split up into four consolidated poi categories i.e. Fixed Speedcams, Average Speedcams, Variable Speedcams and Redlight Speedcams. They come supplied with my own preferred personal choice of icons for each category which are shown below. Remember to Install them as I explained in the first post in this thread i.e. after extracting the zip file remember to place only the PersonalPOI folder and metainfo2.txt file onto your sd card ( Please Note: a usb stick will not work! ). Also, please remember to select/tick the relevant newly added poi categories and the poi audible warning alert in your infotainment menu settings after performing the update or they will not display on your map or audibly alert you. Enjoy!

2002628576_EURedlightSpeedcam.png.a65a555fcd9d2d25f9d50c853bf7c270.png 553530988_EUFixedSpeedcam.png.a730e71f2483b5b5d8f1d3ed5ed3012b.png    838584675_EUAverageSpeedcam.png.8c08cc1b44468f54e7c9f7dcdf08b507.png   912793780_EUVariableSpeedcam.png.9bf05d1e28a585fb58ac84caadb674b1.png

EU Speedcams August, 2020.zip 4.14 MB · 164 downloads

Thank you very much! Just updated my 2016 Octy VRS 4x4 with the latest Skoda maps and this superb camera database, all works superbly with your instructions and problem solving tips.

• 3 weeks later...
On 24/08/2020 at 17:49, bigade1 said:

Once again, for whoever wants them, here is my latest customised version of EU Speedcams ( August, 2020 ). They consist of EU speed cameras which I've split up into four consolidated poi categories i.e. Fixed Speedcams, Average Speedcams, Variable Speedcams and Redlight Speedcams. They come supplied with my own preferred personal choice of icons for each category which are shown below. Remember to Install them as I explained in the first post in this thread i.e. after extracting the zip file remember to place only the PersonalPOI folder and metainfo2.txt file onto your sd card ( Please Note: a usb stick will not work! ). Also, please remember to select/tick the relevant newly added poi categories and the poi audible warning alert in your infotainment menu settings after performing the update or they will not display on your map or audibly alert you. Enjoy!

2002628576_EURedlightSpeedcam.png.a65a555fcd9d2d25f9d50c853bf7c270.png 553530988_EUFixedSpeedcam.png.a730e71f2483b5b5d8f1d3ed5ed3012b.png    838584675_EUAverageSpeedcam.png.8c08cc1b44468f54e7c9f7dcdf08b507.png   912793780_EUVariableSpeedcam.png.9bf05d1e28a585fb58ac84caadb674b1.png

EU Speedcams August, 2020.zip 4.14 MB · 179 downloads

Thanks for all your work! :) 

When do you think there will be an updated version?

22 hours ago, sneznymuz said:

Thanks for all your work! :) 

When do you think there will be an updated version?

I keep checking every day to see if anyone is sharing a database but no joy so far. As soon as I can get my hands on one I will update them.

1 hour ago, bigade1 said:

I keep checking every day to see if anyone is sharing a database but no joy so far. As soon as I can get my hands on one I will update them.

This no good?

Free if you submit a camera. I'm sure I could find a camera to submit and get access?

https://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Cameras

Apologies if the format etc is no good and you've already ruled it out...

Nick