1.5 SEL first gear issue.

Janner74

23 minutes ago, AndyKaroq said:

Hi not sure why but they told me it would take 600 miles to learn my driving style.As with you both my wife and myself drive the car and both noticed the improvement immediately. I didn’t ask the number or name of the software update. I just wanted it sorted. One thing I can say is before the update I started running on premium fuel shell v power it improved, but not removed the issue obviously it’s not ideal but on the other hand got about 4mpg more.

I'm not completely convinced that it will learn your driving style more than adapt it's calibration a tad for it in 600 miles unless it's like a rolling last 600 miles driven such that it calibrates everything for optimum type of recent driving. With so many small variations in the hardware (that may add up to quite a bit) that may be 'forgotten' after a software update all the components and the corresponding interactions have to be calibrated with various offsets here and there. This may also explain why maybe not all vehicles are affected. Bottom line is that this situation should have been resolved before shipment of vehicles to end users by end to end testing.. i.e you and I. We are not beta testers after parting with our hard earned cash to receive sub optimal equipment regardless of all those small variances adding up to big ones.

• Like 1

Yes. Could not agree more. I had both problems from the onset but was fortunate that my dealer was on my side and advised me to contact Skoda UK following a road test with myself driving accompanied by the 'Servicing Manager' who agreed that the faults were present. There was no mention of it being a characteristic! I was fully informed about the pending software update and was not told anything about 600 miles for effect or that it would not cure both problems. I was contacted by Skoda UK on the DAY the update was released and was one of the first to have it applied. I am not some celebrity etc, so count myself lucky to have been 'sorted'! Begs the question 'Are some dealers treated differently by Skoda or is it down to training'. Anyway although I could have done without the hassle I at least have had satisfactory treatment from both Skoda UK and my dealer.

I spoke to Paul at Skoda UK today. They were really helpful. They told me that the kangerooing and lack of power in 2nd is a known issue and Skoda are working on a fix for all versions. I mentioned that I was waiting for the update (week 4 build) and he said that an update was coming. He did say that it was a strange issue as it doesn't affect all the 1.5 engines and they're trying to pinpoint which ones. Paul did say he would phone me with an update every 3 weeks. 

Not heard from them at all other than when I contacted them a few weeks ago and was told they are still working on it and I'm the only person on her casebook with a MY18 vehicle :speechless: I'm not sure I'll see the car back anytime soon, must be a good 4 months I have been in a hire car! another few months and I will have had the hire car longer than the Karoq! 

• Sad 1

Just from Skoda service in Finland. They said software update (for Octavia my18) already done but still at the testing stage. 

Sounds like b** **it.

I think they have too much time for testing...

Edited by kifir

2 hours ago, kifir said:

I think they have too much time for testing...

It's a pity they didn't allocate more time for testing *before* putting the engine into production-line cars.

The time *now* is probably being spent trying to get the modified software to produce results which conform with their promises on emissions and fuel economy.

1 minute ago, driventodevon said:

It's a pity they didn't allocate more time for testing *before* putting the engine into production-line cars.

The time *now* is probably being spent trying to get the modified software to produce results which conform with their promises on emissions and fuel economy.

I think exactly the same.

I think they can not solve the problem of kangaroos without changing the promised emission.  But the consumer must suffer and wait.

Hate VAG, never again in my life!!! 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, kifir said:

I think exactly the same.

I think they can not solve the problem of kangaroos without changing the promised emission.  But the consumer must suffer and wait.

Hate VAG, never again in my life!!! 

I was thinking this too but shouldn't it affect everyone in that case?

We have finally solved the problem of our kangarooing/losing power Karoq. Bought in October 2019 it has spent more time with the Dealer than in our possession. We have certainly done more miles in the car we were loaned, after I refused point blank to get back in the kangarooing car again after losing power on entering a roundabout and almost getting wiped out by an articulated lorry! 

Our dealer has been as frustrated as we have and after the 4th attempt at applying fixes they have thrown in the towel. ( we did tell them if this didn’t work we would continue with the rejection we had set in progress) 

They have taken the car back and  arranged a new car for us, to be delivered in 2 weeks. we have opted for the Scout, which is what was provided as our loan car. The specs are slightly different and not game changers and they have ensured that we are not a penny out of pocket.

This branch has only had one such problem, unlucky us, but 5 throughout the dealership.

So, hopefully our troubles will soon be over. Best of luck to the rest of you still waiting.

A Big shout out for West End  Garages, Stirling, helpful, understanding and excellent customer service.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Purplehat said:

Bought in October 2019 it has spent more time with the Dealer than in our possession.

Kudos to Skoda for fixing tings before the issues arise ...  :biggrin:

Edited by agedbriar
  • Haha 1

Having been informed by VWFS (I have personal contract hire) at the end of April that a fix would be available in May for my car which was picked up in July 2018.

I waited through May and booked my car in to have the fix applied today.

I have just returned from the garage where they have had the car for 6 hours having been told that there is no fix available (it was not working on other cars and was withdrawn) and I would have to wait until Skoda release a new version ( I have this in writing and it is the same wording as 7 months ago!).

Why they could not tell me this before I drove to the garage this morning nor during the booking in process remains beyond me other than them not giving a stuff about customers and just making it up as they go along.

Contact with VWFS has started yet again reopening my formal complaint from last year!

44 minutes ago, RMCM said:

Having been informed by VWFS (I have personal contract hire) at the end of April that a fix would be available in May for my car which was picked up in July 2018.

I have just returned from the garage where they have had the car for 6 hours having been told that there is no fix available (it was not working on other cars and was withdrawn) and I would have to wait until Skoda release a new version ( I have this in writing and it is the same wording as 7 months ago!).

Why they could not tell me this before I drove to the garage this morning nor during the booking in process remains beyond me other than them not giving a stuff about customers and just making it up as they go along.

Contact with VWFS has started yet again reopening my formal complaint from last year!

This is exactly why after owning ours for nearly 18 months and nearly 17,000 miles I will not allow Skoda to carry out a fix if there is no proof it actually works.:thinking:

HI so mine is a 68 plate so the dealership said it’s an 18 so nothing available. But when Skoda uk checked they said it was a 19 build and took over asi said in first post from then on they have been the driving force which is why I said great service. It would seem it’s all down to getting a person that cares.  I paid cash for the car. 

On 7/3/2019 at 1:08 PM, fidelio said:

Is it an MY18 or MY19?

at least 3 people got an update for SEAT, which fixed the kangaroo problem on MY19 cars. 

I think the owners of MY18 may not even dream about fixing the problem on their cars.. :(((

Well, it seems so, no update for MY 2018 engine ECUs available so far, for MY 2019 just few of them got the update, nothing for OIII at all.

See list of latest software versions Nr. 74xx and asocciated engine ECU on link below, flash updates data source from 18th June 2019 for DADA and DACA engines, ECU family 05E 906 018 ...

Those 74xx are available already from 19th March 2019, nothing new released till today ...

https://vag-flashinfo.de/index.php?partno=05E906018&as=

Karoq
05E906018 P
05E906018 R
05E906018 S

Kodiaq
05E906018 AF

SupIII
05E906018 C 

OIII
05E906018 A
05E906018 BH
05E906018 AL

05E906018 L

Scala
05E906018 AB

Seat Ateca
05E906018 R
05E906018 S

Seat Arona
05E906018 J

Seat Ibiza
05E906018 D
05E906018 AB

Seat Leon
05E906018 AL

05E906018 AK

Seat Tarraco
05E906018 AF

• Like 1

My fix for the first gear issue is still working 3000 miles at having it applied. I have got faith again to pullout quickly at junctions without the fear of the car not responding. It is quick off the line just like I had expected when I bought it. 

I need to chase up the separate fix for the kangarooing as it should be out soon.

I got my issues sorted by going to Skoda UK directly - my dealership was did not know the fix was available. 

12 minutes ago, Jezza4567 said:

My fix for the first gear issue is still working 3000 miles at having it applied. I have got faith again to pullout quickly at junctions without the fear of the car not responding. It is quick off the line just like I had expected when I bought it. 

I need to chase up the separate fix for the kangarooing as it should be out soon.

I got my issues sorted by going to Skoda UK directly - my dealership was did not know the fix was available. 

Which model year is you car?

I’ve  also gone direct to Skoda but still waiting for a fix for my MY18. My issue is engine dying when moving off. Not so much the kangarooing.

So I see now Skoda as first VAG brand released update for 05E906018 BH, software version 9622, on data source from 2nd July ...

This is first update for Octavia III with Emission standard EU6 ZD/E/F manufactured since 1st October 2018, MY2019 and for sure without OPF filter, PR code 7MV.

Do not forget ECU with suffix A used at cars till 1st October 2018 without OPF, Emission standard EU6 ZD/E/F, PR code 7MV.

ECU with suffix AL are used from 30.7.2018 till 8.7.2019, Emission standard EU6 AG/H/I and Emission standard EU6 BG/H/I, with OPF filter, PR codes 7CP and 7CS

new ECU with suffix AS used from 8.7.2019, Emission standard EU6 DG, PR code 4BF, and PR code 7LS which stay for not clear "Vehicle class differentiation -470-" ...

So two new ECU used at Octavia 3 since 8.7.2019, 05E906018 AS and 05E906018 CD for CNG fuel.

Manufacturer has lot of work with new emission standards and needed tests so they have for sure not enough time to fix "old" versions now, hard to say why new update 9622 released for BH now ...

Edited by rayx
  • Sad 1

18 minutes ago, rayx said:

Manufacturer has lot of work with new emission standards and needed tests so they have for sure not enough time to fix "old" versions now, hard to say why new update 9622 released for BH now ...

this is disgusting logic, what are they thinking about ?!  how can they relate to their customers who have been waiting for years ...

rayx, thank you so much for information!! 

1 hour ago, AMC150 said:

Which model year is you car?

I’ve  also gone direct to Skoda but still waiting for a fix for my MY18. My issue is engine dying when moving off. Not so much the kangarooing.

Mine was built late Dec 18 & registered Jan 19 (1,5 Manual Karoq).

I had the moving off issue (couple of scary moments when the car failed to pull away -  almost like stall protection had kicked in which happened to Max Verstappen at the start of a recent F1 race  when his car bogged down).

The fix has solved this. If you pull away the engine appears to no longer let the revs drop below 1000 rpm and they bottom out around 1200 rpm.

Well, because of EU6 DG emissions standard, mandatory from 01.09.2019, new ECUs and therefore software will be introduced to other VAG cars too, all will have 4BF as for PR code of equipment.

I wonder if they had enough time to test it all more than for WLTP and RDE test requirements ...

That all begins on production lines from 8th July 2019, new ECUs are

Karoq

05E906018 AT

Kodiaq
05E906018 BC

SupIII
1.5 TSI ends to 8.7.2019 at Superb

OIII already mentioned in post above
05E906018 AS

05E906018 CD for CNG fuel

Scala
05E906018 AQ

On 03/07/2019 at 16:58, RMCM said:

If I were you I'd reject the car - if you can. These scumbags aren't worthy of your money or your custom.