1.5 SEL first gear issue.

Janner74

Well, after a year of waiting for my 18 plate Karoq 1.5 to have the kangarooing (irritating rather than undrivable)  and 2nd gear flat spot (couple of dodgy moments pulling away in 2nd) sorted, I eventually gave up and upgraded to a 2.0L TDI DSG 4x4 Edition. I would have considered switching to the 1.5 petrol 4x4, but the risk of getting another kangaroo combined with the limited availabilty (Skoda stopped producing it after less than 12 months!) convinced me to go back to a diesel.

During the 12 months I found Skoda UK as helpful as could be expected in the circumstances once they recocgnised that there was a problem. They continued to keep in contact with me on a regular basis even there wasn't really any change in the situation.

Disappointed with the treatment I received from my local dealership in Milton Keynes where I never really had any faith in them from the day they tried to convince me that the kangarooing was a characteristic of the car. They also  weren’t really that interested when I identified a couple of warranty issues. Just seemed to be hard work dealing with them.

Hi Kiya, glad you have a new car and hopefully enjoying it.

If I had the problems I would have handed back mine very quickly. The whole issue for those affected is not great and the lack of progress poor...

3 minutes ago, Karoq-N-Roll said:

Hi, quick (hopefully not too stupid) question - how can you tell if your a Karoq is a MY18 or MY19 and if any software updates for these issues are available?

MY19 will have been made upto about mid July 2018 and after the summer break they become MY20. So MY18 were built from about Sept 2017 until mid July 2018.:nod:

17 minutes ago, shyVRS245 said:

MY19 will have been made upto about mid July 2018 and after the summer break they become MY20. So MY18 were built from about Sept 2017 until mid July 2018.:nod:

Thanks for the reply, next question then - where do I find the build date ? 🤔

2 minutes ago, Karoq-N-Roll said:

Thanks for the reply, next question then - where do I find the build date ? 🤔

If your car came with overmats for the carpets if you look underneath them they give the production date of them which is likely to be very close to build date also in my experience of buying Skoda's for 16 years now.:thinking:

This was posted from a most kind person on here, I cannot recall their name:

https://carinfo.kiev.ua/cars/vin/skoda#new

If you enter your VIN number it will reveal the complete build history.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, shyVRS245 said:

Er, I think you are a year misaligned regarding MY19?

I bought an MY19 Superb which was built in September 2018 after the 2018 summer shutdown. That MY19 version continued to be made until about now. The MY20 Superb has now been unveiled and will be in production from August/September 2019.

Happy to be corrected if I am wrong, but that’s what I think I bought! 

(I think your description of MY18 is correct, though.)

Don't worry, Maths is not something @shyVRS245  is very good at.

He also often speaks without engaging his brain, just a bit faulty like a 1.5tsi engine. Once he's warmed up he's a lot better.......

😂

Edited by xman
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, xman said:

Don't worry, Maths is not something @shyVRS245  is very good at.

He also often speaks without engaging his brain, just a bit faulty like a 1.5tsi engine. Once he's warmed up he's a lot better.......

😂

I believe you are now in 3rd place in the popularity list behind if my maths are correct oh it appears to be me in 2nd but I am still 1,000 points (or so) behind the leader George. Have a nice relaxing weekend watching Tennis, Cricket or FI (too much choice).:tongueout:

1 hour ago, agedbriar said:

MY19 features the remote rear backrest control in the boot area.

Also when opening the front doors if an MY19 it has 2 intermediate steps instead of 1 on the MY18 between fully open and fully closed. Also the ice scraper has a tire depth gauge on it. You can all appreciate the excitement I felt when I was told my March 2018 ordered car was coming as a MY19 build! 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Doogle69 said:

Also when opening the front doors if an MY19 it has 2 intermediate steps instead of 1 on the MY18 between fully open and fully closed. Also the ice scraper has a tire depth gauge on it. You can all appreciate the excitement I felt when I was told my March 2018 ordered car was coming as a MY19 build! 

:whew::party::party::party::inlove:.

30 minutes ago, Eddie-NL said:

Was at the parts dept at my local dealers today, they had a new Scala in there so had a look.

Sales manager came over so I asked him if the 1.5 issues were sorted, he said not yet

Wonder if the dealers are being honest with customers considering a Scala with the infamous 1.5TSi engine. Let me ponder that one for a second. Think the answer is NO.:angry:

• Like 1

It must be 2 years since the 1.5tsi engine was launched and its pretty obvious that VAG were aware of the problems early on.

Still not fixed, VAG making very little effort to fix it, still selling new cars with it, launching new models with it.

My opinion is its very low priority for them as only a few people manage to get their complaints through the dealer/distributor stonewalls. Many customers will accept its a characteristic or their lousy driving and put up with it or get rid.

Its never going to be fixed. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

The 1.5TSI EVO introduced was a Cunning Stunt (Vorsprung Durch Technik) that caught out VW Group when WLTP testing still showed then as having high emissions so VW needed a quick fix to get Approval / Certifications, and some customers were up the creak with more VW Lemons.

There is good reason the VW have stayed with 1.4TSI for the new Hybrids & not going with 1.5TSI's,

just not the 1.4TSI as they were caught with before with Implausible /Irregular CO2 test results.

?

Are the new /improved supposedly Manual Boxes that VW are introducing in some world regions & VW's, maybe Audi's as well yet another cunning stunt to just fix for a bit the issues they are having with 1.5TSI EVO manuals.

Edited by Roottootemoot

Maybe Shirley is the only one that knows or Derren Brown.

VW Group are not telling, it took them long enough to admit any had problems.

I dont think 'they claim', just are aware and report and VW Group are aware they do have a problem.

Others without might just be that, no problem or not aware of it being a problem and they have been told it is a characteristic.

VW Group are the ones that know which vehicles might have the issues, when built, what spec, who supplied the ECU and Software / Engine Management.

Edited by Roottootemoot

Just now, TheRealExile said:

Claim :o

Ok claim was the wrong word. How some people have the problem and some don’t appear to have the problem 🙂 

That is the million dollar question for me, different setup in the MY18 vehicles perhaps..... if there was a single version of software that resolved the cutout and the Kangaroo then surely all the MY19's would be fixed, but it's odd that some people just don't get the issue at all I agree.

9Some people have bad problems some have "acceptably" low levels of not quite right, affecting all cars across VAG with this engine.

In simple parlance it must be a design tolerance thing.

I bet VAG full well know what the problem is, but are not saying as its likely far too expensive or impractical to fix properly as it will involve a cripplingly complex/expensive recall of however many engines in the field. I'm convinced it requires something substantially redesigned, the fuel delivery system or possibly the cylinder head with its "optimised" integrated inlet/exhaust manifolds, maybe its an occasional failure of the combustion chamber air swirl pattern, a case of air in the wrong place at the wrong time or turbulence to you and me.

Vag certainly aren't going to swap cylinder heads in a recall.

Plus the problem is probably far more widespread than reported as many people just put up with it, or know no better, certainly many Skoda owners have no idea who Briskoda is and make no effort to research on the internet.

IMO Likely to be a bunch of software fixes in the end (a couple of more years into the future) and some experimentation at dealers as to which fix suits which particular engine or customer best.

Keep an eye out for whenever an updated engine is finally released, then compare part lists/numbers/revisions, might shed some light as to what bits were responsible for this problem.

Last time I looked, I noticed that Audi have avoided fitting the 1.5tsi in the A4 and chose a low powered 2.0tsi instead for the entry level.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

15 hours ago, xman said:

I bet VAG full well know what the problem is, but are not saying as its likely far too expensive or impractical to fix properly as it will involve a cripplingly complex/expensive recall of however many engines in the field. I'm convinced it requires something substantially redesigned, the fuel delivery system or possibly the cylinder head with its "optimised" integrated inlet/exhaust manifolds, maybe its an occasional failure of the combustion chamber air swirl pattern, a case of air in the wrong place at the wrong time or turbulence to you and me. 

You still believe it's a mechanical issue?
My MY2019 1.5 DSG 4x4 performs great, but they let it emit 149 g/km CO2, compared to the meagre 124 g/km set in WLTP stone for the manual 2x4.

Edited by agedbriar

I beleive so myself. You cannot have different behavior in the same engine with the same ecu version. Unless there are mechanical diffeerences or different fine tuning in mechanical parts.