1.5 SEL first gear issue.

Janner74

10 hours ago, 13TSI said:

Is everyone's 1.5TSI sorted now? It's gone quiet on here...

I've just had information to say an update is available for my July registered Ateca 1.5TSI manual. I've been waiting (and complaining to dealer, SEAT and VWFS) since a week after we picked it up brand new.

I'll be interested to see if this sorts it.

The Karoq is running far better now after the 2 updates applied to it, the mileage is around 5200 miles and the mpg varies from 41-50mpg depending where and how I drive it (no motor way use but some steep hills and some single track roads plus the usual rural A class type of roads)

No doubt as the mileage increases the engine slackens off and runs even smoother, no problems in the cold frosty Highland mornings either.

Quick update on our update!

So after being told there was no update for our June built (July registered) 1.5 TSI Ateca, I was finally notified of an update released in early December. 

The update has now been applied to the car and all I can say is wow, what a difference!

The car now drives as it should have driven the day we picked it up. I can now liken it back to our previous 2017 Leon EcoTSI 1.4 which we loved. It now picks up much easier in all gears, doesn't kangaroo and pulls away lovely and smooth, just as it should. It finally feels like I expected.

I'm disappointed in SEAT as a whole. we had actually just started the rejection process before the update came, but I'm now happy to report we are keeping the car as the kangaroo was the only issue we had with it and we would actually have been sorry to have to reject it should it have come to that.

VWFS have offered compensation for the inconvenience of the last 6 months which we will be taking and the complaint will be upheld. All in all I'm happy with the resolution now, just not so happy with the way SEAT treat customers whilst trying to get the issue sorted (especially their dealer network), but from what I've seen online I don't think I don't think this is unique to SEAT and spans the entire VAG franchise, especially when it comes to this 1.5 "issue".

Does anyone have any thoughts about?

Will the kangaroo die if we replace the alternator in the car MY18 by a alternator from the car MY19?

Edited by kifir

On 05/01/2020 at 12:39, 13TSI said:

Quick update on our update!

So after being told there was no update for our June built (July registered) 1.5 TSI Ateca, I was finally notified of an update released in early December. 

The update has now been applied to the car and all I can say is wow, what a difference!

The car now drives as it should have driven the day we picked it up. I can now liken it back to our previous 2017 Leon EcoTSI 1.4 which we loved. It now picks up much easier in all gears, doesn't kangaroo and pulls away lovely and smooth, just as it should. It finally feels like I expected.

I'm disappointed in SEAT as a whole. we had actually just started the rejection process before the update came, but I'm now happy to report we are keeping the car as the kangaroo was the only issue we had with it and we would actually have been sorry to have to reject it should it have come to that.

VWFS have offered compensation for the inconvenience of the last 6 months which we will be taking and the complaint will be upheld. All in all I'm happy with the resolution now, just not so happy with the way SEAT treat customers whilst trying to get the issue sorted (especially their dealer network), but from what I've seen online I don't think I don't think this is unique to SEAT and spans the entire VAG franchise, especially when it comes to this 1.5 "issue".

So does that mean there is a new update since December? And if yes for what MYs ?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, fidelio said:

So does that mean there is a new update since December? And if yes for what MYs ?

I asked the dealer today, they said the last update for the Skoda was in September.
Interestingly, SEAT was the first who receive a new update, or did the old update come to them later ?!

On 12/06/2019 at 11:25, StEdmund said:

The first fix was to fix the "hesitation" (dying at junctions etc) - which seems to have worked on my car. The next fix - due in "the next two months or so" is to fix the kangarooing; at least, that's what I was told by Skoda UK Customer Services. I suspect that there are major delays caused by the need to retest every tweak and twiddle in the light of WLTP requirements.

1 hour ago, Seans said:

Is there a fix for this issue now as I bought my car on 31/12/19 and got this issue 

Check to see if there is a recall on the Karoq, was it brand new when you purchased it?

https://www.gov.uk/check-vehicle-recall

https://www.check-vehicle-recalls.service.gov.uk/recall-type/vehicle/make/SKODA/model/KAROQ/year

Edited by Apprentice

• 2 weeks later...

Would you say the MY 20 cars have no issues with the engine now?.When I had My GTI in for service I asked one of the technicians about the kangarooing on VW Evo engine’s and he was quite reluctant to discuss the matter.

On the forums it looks like all MY19 solved the problem. But some MY18 still have jerking:( 

It seems to me that two ECUs in TPI are marked in orange for a reason. I don’t saw someone with ver.9757 or 9692, who still have jerking. 

I wonder if replacing the alternator from MY18 to MY19 will help or not. To know what difference they make?!

4959D020-8875-40A1-A9CF-4FF19ABA8D58.png

Funny I was just thinking I needed to report back. My DSG had an ECU fix applied last year, but just recently with some really cold starts (for uk in the minus) it is not as smooth and a bit hesitant  / jerky in low gears.

I just have a niggle that it has not been sorted. Just not sure how to prove it or record it...

Car delivered in August 2018

I have version 9752 ECU update.

Edited by MJ1

17 hours ago, kifir said:

On the forums it looks like all MY19 solved the problem. But some MY18 still have jerking:( 

It seems to me that two ECUs in TPI are marked in orange for a reason. I don’t saw someone with ver.9757 or 9692, who still have jerking. 

I wonder if replacing the alternator from MY18 to MY19 will help or not. To know what difference they make?!

4959D020-8875-40A1-A9CF-4FF19ABA8D58.png

I have a MY19 with manual gear and still experiences some artifacts. On rare occasions it jumps a few times when accelerating but mostly it's a twitching when trying to maintain really low speed in 1st gear.

1 hour ago, Poul said:

I have a MY19 with manual gear and still experiences some artifacts. On rare occasions it jumps a few times when accelerating but mostly it's a twitching when trying to maintain really low speed in 1st gear.

Twitching is a good explanation of the feeling I have had with mine but it has been at higher gears. It's as if the car is surging then throttle back. Just not smooth and this is even with cruise set. It is making me wonder if I should ditch the car before the end of the 3 year warranty... I had hoped to keep it for 100,000 miles plus...