Octavia 245 Owners Club

It nearly was!  Changed my mind at the last minute. :biggrin:

It was a toss up between Velvet Red (not at that price!), Rallye Green (not entirely convinced), Silver (again not entirely sure) or Black (decided not to as it shows dirt & the slightest of scratches).

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, TheWanderer said:

It nearly was!  Changed my mind at the last minute. :biggrin:

It was a toss up between Velvet Red (not at that price!), Rallye Green (not entirely convinced), Silver (again not entirely sure) or Black (decided not to as it shows dirt & the slightest of scratches).

I thought you were indecisive with so many colour options but now you've explained I'm really not sure anymore.:rofl:

Ordered vrs 245 7th Dec called dealer yesterday and looking at build week 6 which I think is next week! Hopefully not too long a wait after that till car is delivered to the door. Noticed yesterday that the challenge version has been released, a bit peeved to start but after contemplating for a bit I don’t think I would have waited till these hit the forecourt. Anyone got any recent experience of build to delivery times?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, flash222004 said:

Ordered vrs 245 7th Dec called dealer yesterday and looking at build week 6 which I think is next week! Hopefully not too long a wait after that till car is delivered to the door. Noticed yesterday that the challenge version has been released, a bit peeved to start but after contemplating for a bit I don’t think I would have waited till these hit the forecourt. Anyone got any recent experience of build to delivery times?

Looks like 12-13 weeks from order to delivery so probably 1st week in March for your order.:party:

23 hours ago, flash222004 said:

Did a quick Google of the VRS245 Challenge thinking I may have missed out on an even better model but pleased to see I have all the extras already except the DCC. I realise the DCC makes a big difference to the handling but I guess I can't have everything. Glad to see Skoda are standing beind this car.

On 31/01/2019 at 20:08, TheWanderer said:

Well here's The Beast....

1073659140_CarPhoto.thumb.jpg.bfd9dd4d4e33522e6b5b9091810dc6c7.jpg

Note that I preempted Brexit with the number plate!   :giggle:

V.Nice but needs them black 19" though. Gotta love racing blue. Loved my MK2 VRS in blue. But for me MK3 is always best in black with the red highlights. 

Edited by JimmyUK

On 31/01/2019 at 10:40, jonjc said:

Here it is...

Already mucky from 5 mile drive home on winter roads.  And with frost on top!

But it's proof!

Thoughts so far (having hardly driven it)...

Glad I can choose to turn the sound generator off rather than having to physically disconnect the speaker as I did with my old car.

More import drive stuff (esp DCC) coming soon....

car 1.jpg

car 2.jpg

How did you turn Soundaktor off?

6 hours ago, JimmyUK said:

How did you turn Soundaktor off?

Sorry - I was slightly misleading... The only way to stop it globally is to unplug it (although I assume it could be disabled with VCDS).  But in individual settings it is one of the options.   So my individual mode is exactly the same as sport mode but with the soundaktor off. If I wanted normal mode to have the soubdaktor off I'd have to go back to individual settings and set it up accordingly. 

• Thanks 1

Having just read 3 very similar reviews of the new (but old 2017 Special Edition) Vrs245 Challenge my conclusion is that it is very poor value for money. First Skoda remove all the good bits from the Special that was onsale for just six months from May-November 2017 and reduce the price from £27,600 to just under £27,000 (for the hatch in manual form) then claim the new car which starts at just over £30,000 (again for manual hatch) but comes with £4,500 of extra equipment but in reality it only has DCC (adaptive dampers) and KESSY over the 2017 Special. These you could specify for about £1,250 so back in 2017 such a car would have cost £28,850 (manual hatch). So the new car is £1,200 more than the old similarly equipped version. Add my cars electric sunroof, Black Magic paint, reversing camera and spare wheel and your getting close to £32,000 in manual hatch form or over £34,000 for the 7 speed DSG Estate. Not a bargain considering it still has only 242bhp. The new Golf GTi TCR with 286bhp will start about £34,000 for a DSG hatch (18" alloys) but does 0-60mph in a claimed 5.5seconds compared to the Octavia's 6.6seconds.:blink:

One thing I don't like:  The drive mode resets to 'Normal' - so every time I start driving (even if I've only stopped and switched off for 30 seconds) I have to remember to reset to the mode I actually want to drive in - every time.  This could be an environmental feature to force me out of Sport Mode unless/until I proactively choose it.  But that doesn't seem right since, if I chose 'Eco' as my preferred mode, the car would constantly be selecting, by default, a less environmentally friendly setting.

Anyone found a way around this (that doesn't involve VCDS - which seems to be the answer to most things I don't like)?

2 minutes ago, jonjc said:

One thing I don't like:  The drive mode resets to 'Normal' - so every time I start driving (even if I've only stopped and switched off for 30 seconds) I have to remember to reset to the mode I actually want to drive in - every time.  This could be an environmental feature to force me out of Sport Mode unless/until I proactively choose it.  But that doesn't seem right since, if I chose 'Eco' as my preferred mode, the car would constantly be selecting, by default, a less environmentally friendly setting.

Anyone found a way around this (that doesn't involve VCDS - which seems to be the answer to most things I don't like)?

This doesn't happen with the manual gearbox. Joys of DSG ownership.:tongueout:

• Like 1

1 minute ago, shyVRS245 said:

This doesn't happen with the manual gearbox. Joys of DSG ownership.:tongueout:

My old VRS 220DSG used to reset the gearbox from S back to normal when I switched off but the mode remained as Sport - all I had to do to get S-gears was to dip the leaver.  Now the whole mode resets to Normal.

19 minutes ago, jonjc said:

My old VRS 220DSG used to reset the gearbox from S back to normal when I switched off but the mode remained as Sport - all I had to do to get S-gears was to dip the leaver.  Now the whole mode resets to Normal.

Mine remembers sport mode if its on when you cycle the ignition but switches the gearbox back.. yours isn't doing this?

15 minutes ago, Scotty72 said:

Mine remembers sport mode if its on when you cycle the ignition but switches the gearbox back.. yours isn't doing this?

That's the same as my old VRS DSG but no, my new one isn't remembering the mode at all - resetting back to normal every time I turn off the ignition.

On 02/02/2019 at 06:34, jonjc said:

Sorry - I was slightly misleading... The only way to stop it globally is to unplug it (although I assume it could be disabled with VCDS).  But in individual settings it is one of the options.   So my individual mode is exactly the same as sport mode but with the soundaktor off. If I wanted normal mode to have the soubdaktor off I'd have to go back to individual settings and set it up accordingly. 

Yes, VCDS can disable or reduce the soundaktor noise, we've had it reset to 10% (on my Golf) & 15% on her Golf, & it's no longer audible.

So decided to drive home from work (50 miles, 50mph for half of it, 70 for the other half) without Aircon or heating on tonight. Topped out at 48mpg. I've managed better before, but this is a consistent journey that would've yielded 42mpg on average. Quite shocked at the difference it makes....

On 04/02/2019 at 14:53, jonjc said:

Don’t have this issue with my DSG. Stays In whatever drive mode setting I left it in.

9 minutes ago, Chris245 said:

Don’t have this issue with my DSG. Stays In whatever drive mode setting I left it in.

Seems like mine might have a glitch then (I was thinking it might be a standard feature).  It's going in on Monday to sort out the original light glitch so I'll add it to the list of things I want sorting (reinstate lock/unlock chirp, get selected mode to stay and check headlight level as I think it may be a bit high). 

Goodbye vrRS 184 diesel, hello vRS 245 petrol.

Picked this bad boy up this morning.  First impressions: quiet, heats up quickly, light, nimble, free revving(?) and smooth.  Delighted to so far.  Thought that it would be a beast, but it is not - mean this in a good way and is a compliment.  For a family wagon this is perfect for me - a real swiss army knife.  Looking forward to the next four years.  Delighted with the colour1330816947_245estate.thumb.jpg.10615b904ca804a0132d86af9ea02240.jpg

• Like 3

3 hours ago, jonjc said:

Seems like mine might have a glitch then (I was thinking it might be a standard feature).  It's going in on Monday to sort out the original light glitch so I'll add it to the list of things I want sorting (reinstate lock/unlock chirp, get selected mode to stay and check headlight level as I think it may be a bit high). 

Definitely does then, tested mine a few times today and it remembers the driving mode just fine cycling the ignition. I've made myself a sport mode light on individual, normal steering and comfort sound mode.

So finally got round to checking how accurate the speedo is today. Running GPS Speedo Pro on my phone, fixed the phone holder from previous car to the windscreen. Using the maxidot speed readout to check. It's within 1 - 3 mph out.. 3 at higher motorway speeds. This is useful to know.