noise insulation

I've been stunned at the amount of road noise in my 2014 Superb Outdoor on Australian coarse chip. I had a 2010 Ford Mondeo previously and it was streaks ahead. I am committed to the Skoda however, I've wanted one for a few years. I think there may also be some faulty bearings contributing, its going back to the dealer to get it sorted, that, and the climate control is not functioning properly. (i've only had it for 2weeks)

There are a few things I'm going to try. As mentioned here, the boot, the wheel wells, bonnet and B-pillar. I'm looking for some 17inch wheels to increase tyre profile, the Mondeo had 17" 50 profile, and this should also provide more protection for dirt roads. (I'll keep the 18" 40's  for when I want to sell it. The tyres are virtually new). 

The big difference to what others seem to have done, and I'm looking for some feedback on this, is I'm looking at doing something to the engine skid pan. This thing appears to be quite flimsy and I'm convinced that there is a drum effect taking place in the engine bay as result. I'm going to try a liquid rubber spray on the engine side, given the exposure of the panel to the elements.

I will record my findings.

6 hours ago, Rkdee said:

I've been stunned at the amount of road noise in my 2014 Superb Outdoor on Australian coarse chip.

I will record my findings.

Yeah I am in Australia too. I think the 2014 model was also probably a little worse than the later models. I don't think you have any insulation under the rear bench seat. Mine did when I looked (2019).

Your list of things to do will make a difference. I no longer get a headache / ear-ache after long trips on coarse bitumen. But it's still louder than I would like. 

If you are on 17s definitely look for Bridgestone Serenity Plus - https://www.bridgestonetyres.com.au/turanza-serenity-plus-el64?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIiubipe_g6wIVGKmWCh2-DgNfEAAYASAAEgJ0g_D_BwE

Edited by digifish

10 hours ago, digifish said:

Yeah I am in Australia too. I think the 2014 model was also probably a little worse than the later models. I don't think you have any insulation under the rear bench seat. Mine did when I looked (2019).

Your list of things to do will make a difference. I no longer get a headache / ear-ache after long trips on coarse bitumen. But it's still louder than I would like. 

If you are on 17s definitely look for Bridgestone Serenity Plus - https://www.bridgestonetyres.com.au/turanza-serenity-plus-el64?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIiubipe_g6wIVGKmWCh2-DgNfEAAYASAAEgJ0g_D_BwE

Yep. Can hear the fuel sloshing when going slowly over speed humps in car parks. Seats fold forward so easy to access.

3 hours ago, Rkdee said:

My intention too

Well Serenity Plus is available in that size

https://www.bridgestonetyres.com.au/turanza-serenity-plus-el64

225/55R17 - Load 101, Speed V, OD 680

I can't stress enough how good these tyres are for noise.  

Although narrower tyres are less prone to aquaplaning and create less noise also if you want to head for stock.
Edited by digifish

On 11/09/2020 at 13:31, Rkdee said:

I've been stunned at the amount of road noise in my 2014 Superb Outdoor on Australian coarse chip. 

That would make urs a mk2.5 Superb, not a mk3, which is this part of the forum.

Nonetheless, road noise is problem with our ozzy roads.  I've put sound deadening in the boot well and wheel arches.  Made some difference.

My next move is to change from the factory 235/40/19 to 245/40/19 tyres. This will give it more rubber and a slightly taller side wall profile.

• 1 month later...

So, I’ve now done the boot, bonnet, wheel arches front and rear, engine skid pan and both underbody protection panels. I used 2mm butyl/aluminium sheeting (9kg, 2sqm) and rubber bitumen paint. +some EVA mat under the rear seat.

I have not done the inside rear arches just the external.

The aim has been to minimise overall road noise on Australian coarse chip bitumen. 

Has it been a success? Well, yes and no. The noise has changed. It’s much less harsh, more bass and boom. Overall more bearable for me in the cabin. But still nothing on my old 2011 Mondeo or the 2014 Pug505 I had as loaner last week. 

The fact I can now hear the boominess in the rear is testament that the butyl has helped with the higher frequency vibrations 👍🏻
I’m disappointed. Don’t think o can live with it as it stands. Up to 100kph it’s quite good, but I do many hwy miles at 115-120kph (70mph) and it just doesn’t stand up at those speeds.

I guess now to look at the door sills and internal rear arches, anything else will just go in the too hard basket.

• Like 1

@Rkdee

try this inexpensive experiment

On 09/10/2020 at 16:35, MartiniB said:

Audi's pads give some kind of sound deadening effect to!

maybe placebo, but can't be worse definitely

On 21/06/2020 at 20:37, newbie69 said:

>>> I opted to replace the top spring pads/bushings with the Audi TT ones (OE part number: 8J0512149 ) as suggested in some threads to avoid reverse rake. Those are ~6.5mm thicker so the rear sits 6.5mm higher. It turns out it was a wise choice as you'll see

29140c27-537d-4647-ae25-43aa74a41e30.thumb.jpg.6c4c0b853194aed28d2466720f7d143c.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

So I have now changed the wheels and tyres from 225/40r18 (7.5") to 225/50r17

I got an excellent deal on the 17" wheels from a 2020 Octavia buyer 17x7" for AU$200 (EURO140-ish) and went up from the recommended 215/50

This was my last throw of the dice.

First impression is "OMG!!!! HOW BLOODY GOOD!!!!":

I am yet to do some Australian coarse chip freeway running, but on a couple of local roads the difference is incredible. I should have started with this change.

It is soaking up the road imperfections with a soft bump, rather than a hard knock. And the while there is still a rumble on the coarse chip it seems much more muted. Only a true Highway run on the coarse stuff will show the worst.

I'm very, very happy. The sound mat will also be helping no doubt, so no regret in the time and effort spent. 

• Like 1

Highway run completed. Very bearable, even with cheapie tyres. 
delighted with my return on investment. 
225/50r17 should be the default on this car. Just like the Passat in Australia.

10 hours ago, Rkdee said:

225/50r17 should be the default on this car.

these are -1.5% in diameter

i vote for 225/55r17, +1.5% in diameter

what gives less wheel spin on the wet,

closer to reality values on speedometer

and +5mm in ground clearance

instead stock 215/55r17 (0%)

• 2 months later...

Hi all. I just want to soundproof the wheel arches and maybe the boot. I would like to do more but the biggest problem is the noise of the wind at the doors, it is very annoying and excessive. I wear Primacy 4 on 235/45/18.

5 hours ago, Gabrielem said:

Hi all. I just want to soundproof the wheel arches and maybe the boot. I would like to do more but the biggest problem is the noise of the wind at the doors, it is very annoying and excessive. I wear Primacy 4 on 235/45/18.

try aliexpress with rubber door seal, works great with little money.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
On 3/6/2019 at 7:33, gigolea said:

Olvidado del sello de la puerta

EBDE0D9E-1DDF-4811-BAD7-1A3DD83B68D6.jpeg

I know that @gigolea hasn't posted for a long time, but I would like to know if after adding those bars the car is better or not.

Thanks.

4 hours ago, Gabrielem said:

I know that @gigolea hasn't posted for a long time, but I would like to know if after adding those bars the car is better or not.

Thanks.

Hello, i have not posted because i have sold the car. The braces were very helpfull and most felt on turn in and in the bends.

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Guys, 

I am starting to look into sound deadening my Superb and I hoped you'd help me with a few questions

• what works best or is a good enough solution for sealing the doors? I can see people using butyl matts over the outer skin to close off the interior of the doors. I also saw examples of people using VML. Is there much difference in the result? How is VML held in place with its high mass - tape, glue?
  • when covering the car floor with VML - can I just lay it on top of the decoupler foam and tape the VML pieces together to avoid any gaps, or do I need to stick the VML it to the decoupler?
  • do I really need the decoupler on top of the butyl tiles on the floor at all? I am looking to reduce road noise rather than getting a perfect result for music listening. I was thinking of using foam carpet underlay as the decoupler. It's 5mm thick and was branded as an "acoustic" product when I bought it
  • finally - I live in Ireland and struggle to source VML. After Brexit the UK suppliers just stopped shipping here. Anyone knows where I could get it?

thanks!

• Like 1

On 04/06/2021 at 20:32, lukk said:

Hi Guys, 

I am starting to look into sound deadening my Superb and I hoped you'd help me with a few questions

• when covering the car floor with VML - can I just lay it on top of the decoupler foam and tape the VML pieces together to avoid any gaps, or do I need to stick the VML it to the decoupler?
  • do I really need the decoupler on top of the butyl tiles on the floor at all? I am looking to reduce road noise rather than getting a perfect result for music listening. I was thinking of using foam carpet underlay as the decoupler. It's 5mm thick and was branded as an "acoustic" product when I bought it

The function of the butyl mats is not to decouple. Its to damp, and so needs to be bonded to the metal surfaces. It's the same principle as putting your hand on a drum skin and hitting it vs hitting it with no hand. 

Thok vs Booooommmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm