What have you done to your Superb III today?

In my poorest years in France I would take the battery from my MK1 Octavia inside on cold nights, on very cold nights I even had to share the bed with it under the quilt as I could not afford heating either. It was probably 8 years old then and 250000 miles but I had left the sidelights on one night and it was never the same after.

Many a morning when it struggled I had to revive it by pouring a kettle of boiling water over it.

I would have to take a spare battery (no better but held charge) and jump leads with me when leaving the car at the station for even 2 days to restart it, in hindsight I should have just disconnected it, I never knew till years later that it had some Canbus modules, thats how reliable it was.

Restarting after standing 2 months is very impressive, that said my canbus when fully asleep does not draw a lot but the towing relay does in comparison, it will reduce the time the vehicle could be left by more than half, for that reason I have an on-off switch for the module, its been on for nearly a year because I am doing so much towing but otherwise would be off and always if I know the car will be left for an extended period.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, unclerichy said:

Ooof, I feel your pain. Had to do that during the recent petrol 'crisis' when Tesco ran out of '99 😒

I filled up with 59.68 litres of CostCo 97 RON this morning (162.9/ltr). I'm hardly driving these days so this is the first time I've filled up for two months.

Cars not happy with me and to be honest it was only about a tenner cheaper. If I could have been arsed to do the math I would have probably stuck with 99 😆 Still it now knows if it misbehaves what it will get …. On another note I suspect I might have finally succumbed to Covid ffs ….

23 hours ago, unclerichy said:

Ooof, I feel your pain. Had to do that during the recent petrol 'crisis' when Tesco ran out of '99 😒

I filled up with 59.68 litres of CostCo 97 RON this morning (162.9/ltr). I'm hardly driving these days so this is the first time I've filled up for two months.

Cars not happy with me and to be honest it was only about a tenner cheaper. If I could have been arsed to do the math I would have probably stuck with 99 😆 Still it now knows if it misbehaves what it will get …. On another note I suspect I might have finally succumbed to Covid ffs ….

Just now, Nick_H said:

Posted twice…. I blame Covid !

On 30/08/2022 at 22:54, Colin170CR said:

Impressive. I'm on my 2nd battery after the original died on my drive during lockdown 1. 3-4 years is about all you seem to get out of the cheap OEM batteries.

I'm still on the original 6 year old battery and it still seems to be in good condition. I do use our CTEK MXS 5.0 to condition the battery every six months. No idea if it really does something, but the battery I bought in 2009 for our MKI was still running 11 years later. 

• Like 2

16 hours ago, boydeee said:

I hope you feel better soon Nick 😁

Thanks boydee yeah I was pos it finally got me. Feeling pretty sorry for myself at mo it's pretty much like a good dose of the flu. Zero energy, aching all over, bad headache.... This morning though I find I have no smell !! Not much fun but I suppose I'm just joining the ranks of millions of other that have had it.

• Sad 1

On 31/08/2022 at 20:31, Nick_H said:

Posted twice…. I blame Covid !

I’ve had C19 twice, Nick, the first in April 20 when I nearly died and in May this year, when it was like a heavy cold, but as I have long Covid, it knocked me

for six in terms of exhaustion, but I’m ok now. Our son also had it for the first time in May, and he felt like the had flu, but recovered very quickly so hopefully you won’t be too bad. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, numskull said:

I’ve had C19 twice, Nick, the first in April 20 when I nearly died and in May this year, when it was like a heavy cold, but as I have long Covid, it knocked me

for six in terms of exhaustion, but I’m ok now. Our son also had it for the first time in May, and he felt like the had flu, but recovered very quickly so hopefully you won’t be too bad. 

Wow yes I need to get a grip and stop feeling sorry for myself !! Thanks ns that put how i'm feeling now firmly into perspective !!

Well, as a further bit of perspective and a note of caution, C19 hasn’t gone away, it is still a killer. 354 people died in the 3rd week of August with C19 listed as the direct cause. So please just make sure if you feel like you have ‘flu, Nick, and you don’t feel like you’re getting better in five days, please get to the hospital. 

Booked it in to get the weirdly locking rear door looked at on Friday. Also should hit 150000 today. Got Android Auto working correctly as well, pretty pleased with its usability.

4C on the way down this morning as well  - it's winter tyre time soon. Might see if I can get a cheap set of rims with all seasons from Germany for the shoulder seasons....

I was sitting in the car idling on a work call when a huge white plume exploded out from under the bonnet yesterday. Turns out the nipple on the return pipe for the coolant reservoir snapped off under pressure covering everything in pink coolant.

So anyway, a few zip ties and liters of water later and we were off and driving again to the mechanics shop leaving a trail of drops behind us. Apparently this is quite common in MQB cars. All fixed now…

BUT in other news the front left DCC shock, which was inspected by Skoda Gold Coast for the final warranty service only ~8 weeks ago, was inspected and has apparently “misted” out so much fluid that it no longer provides ANY rebound damping. 2017 build with 65,000km. Fortunately I’ve picked up a good used part but not happy about that.

DBD819FC-E34D-4257-8541-3EB4FA41F99D.jpeg

On 08/09/2022 at 06:02, Frankenfurter said:

I was sitting in the car idling on a work call when a huge white plume exploded out from under the bonnet yesterday. Turns out the nipple on the return pipe for the coolant reservoir snapped off under pressure covering everything in pink coolant.

So anyway, a few zip ties and liters of water later and we were off and driving again to the mechanics shop leaving a trail of drops behind us. Apparently this is quite common in MQB cars. All fixed now…

BUT in other news the front left DCC shock, which was inspected by Skoda Gold Coast for the final warranty service only ~8 weeks ago, was inspected and has apparently “misted” out so much fluid that it no longer provides ANY rebound damping. 2017 build with 65,000km. Fortunately I’ve picked up a good used part but not happy about that.

Personally ive never seen this kind of failure not on any MQB platform vehicles. Only really saw it on Vauxhall and BMW on brittle connectors. Very strange!

40 minutes ago, ApertureS said:

Personally ive never seen this kind of failure not on any MQB platform vehicles. Only really saw it on Vauxhall and BMW on brittle connectors. Very strange!

It was bizarre. Just sitting there idling and all of a sudden poof! A white cloud of smoke streams out.

I called my mechanic who handles a fair bit of VW service and told him the coolant reservoir hose was ****ing boiling coolant and he literally said “let me guess, the return hose pipe snapped off”.

I took a closer look at the broken pieces once it cooled and the plastic does look pretty thin there. Probably more importantly the pinch clamp that holds it on was sitting about 10mm back from the end of the black hose towards the end of the plastic nipple which is where it is weakest. 

Anyway, was simple and cheap to fix. New reservoir was delivered to the shop by the end of the day and the hose now has a screw clamp right at the base where it’s strongest.

On 09/09/2022 at 10:25, ApertureS said:

maybe happened when the timing belt got done, heavy handed mechanics   😂   they normally disconnect the reservoir and swing it out the way with the hoses still connected, 

any  strain on the connector might cause a crack which eventually fails xxx amount of months/ years later.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 06/04/2022 at 08:25, brettikivi said:

... and now it's booked in for the lamp (lazer linear 18 elite) to be fitted next Thursday. Oh, and it's still snowing out at -3C. 

This is, by far, the ultimate ledbar, I think!

Revo Stage 1 and TCU map completed at MDM Technik in Marlow on the 2019 272 Sportline.

Only a 30 min drive home, but the car feels transformed. Looking forward to putting some miles in before the temperature drops and the winter tyres have to go on 😁

• Like 2

Sad day. Took to body shop after meeting a kamikaze muntjac. But then again, it could have been a roe or fallow deer, and wouldn't just need a nose job but a new vehicle. No idea what it'll cost apart from insurance excess.

• Sad 1

15 hours ago, Rikochet said:

Revo Stage 1 and TCU map completed at MDM Technik in Marlow on the 2019 272 Sportline.

Only a 30 min drive home, but the car feels transformed. Looking forward to putting some miles in before the temperature drops and the winter tyres have to go on 😁

Revo TCU map also?  How do you find both the ECU and TCU tune from Revo?  Did you also get their SPS?

Edited by Donweather

1 hour ago, Donweather said:

Revo TCU map also?  How do you find both the ECU and TCU tune from Revo?  Did you also get their SPS?

I've not had a big drive yet, but the TCU map seems preferable to stock. It holds gears slightly longer in D, so you don't get robbed of power pulling away from a roundabout.

S is much nicer on the twisty roads and holds a lower gear. 

Kickdown seems faster and the car generally feels more "ready".

I didn't get the SPS as I only fill up with Shell V Power.

There's £200 off when you get the ECU and TCU together.

https://www.onlyrevo.com/product-details/software/skoda/superb-mk3-2015-/391/dq381-tcu-software

8 hours ago, Rikochet said:

I've not had a big drive yet, but the TCU map seems preferable to stock. It holds gears slightly longer in D, so you don't get robbed of power pulling away from a roundabout.

S is much nicer on the twisty roads and holds a lower gear. 

Kickdown seems faster and the car generally feels more "ready".

I didn't get the SPS as I only fill up with Shell V Power.

There's £200 off when you get the ECU and TCU together.

https://www.onlyrevo.com/product-details/software/skoda/superb-mk3-2015-/391/dq381-tcu-software

I forgot to say, a nice bonus of the Revo map is that it defaults the Start-Stop system to off, so no need to push a button every time I get in the car. 

27 minutes ago, Rikochet said:

I forgot to say, a nice bonus of the Revo map is that it defaults the Start-Stop system to off, so no need to push a button every time I get in the car. 

That must be a new feature because I don't have that on my Revo stg1 which was installed in 2020. 

13 hours ago, Colin170CR said:

That must be a new feature because I don't have that on my Revo stg1 which was installed in 2020. 

Double checked on the drive to work this morning in case I was going mad. The feature does work and they call it out on their website now.

Screenshot_2022-09-22-07-50-18-26_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Rikochet said:

Double checked on the drive to work this morning in case I was going mad. The feature does work and they call it out on their website now.

Screenshot_2022-09-22-07-50-18-26_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg

Interesting. I wonder if there is an upgrade option available which could be added on to my next service maybe? I think I will enquire with my local Revo VAG independent when the time comes. Having said that, some of those features mentioned under "gauge config" look like they are related to a digital dash which I don't have so this latest revision of the software may not be backwards compatible with older Superb III models. 

I might just ask Revo directly & see what they say.

• Like 1