What have you done to your Superb III today?

3 hours ago, Donweather said:

Damn impressive torque at the crank then!!!

No my point was given your significant power drop off from around 4800 RPM you'd be best to change up a gear as both your power and torque die rapidly from 4800 rpm onwards.

Ah I c wat u mean.

The problem is that the intake air temp (IAT) would get too high, and then the ECU would pull back and cut the power - that's why ur seeing the rapid death!!

Problem is the small IS20 turbo gets too hot too quickly and the stock intercooler can't cool it quick enough.

Bigger turbo will generate less heat too early, enabling the engine to pull for longer and die so quickly.

Upgraded intercooler will aid in keeping those high temps down.

20 hours ago, dunc69 said:

Stage 1 remap today at Avon Tuning. 

272 to c. 350bhp.  

Picked it up 2 hours ago.  
Have only really had once chance to accelerate hard - yep, it’s certainly quicker!!

DFE32E15-7DC1-49D9-8FC0-5576872C2BCE.thumb.jpeg.5d9ecbee4c7bafb159eb643a6181ba3e.jpeg

More noticeable perhaps is the increased torque making picking up speed at lower speeds effortless and really smooth.  More drivability is what I was after so, so far so good!

I’ll add further thoughts when I have done more driving!

Have done quite a bit more driving. 

Blasted up Burrington Combe last night.  Blimey, it shifts now!  Very pleased. 

At slower speeds, what is really striking is how it wafts along now on a wave of torque, shifting up to 5th, 6th and 7th earlier than it used to.   

A significant upgrade to the car.   Will be much more enjoyable to drive now, whether just doing day to day stuff, or having a little fun occasionally! 

15 hours ago, JR RS said:

Ah I c wat u mean.

The problem is that the intake air temp (IAT) would get too high, and then the ECU would pull back and cut the power - that's why ur seeing the rapid death!!

Problem is the small IS20 turbo gets too hot too quickly and the stock intercooler can't cool it quick enough.

Bigger turbo will generate less heat too early, enabling the engine to pull for longer and die so quickly.

Upgraded intercooler will aid in keeping those high temps down.

IS38 swap on the list!

• Thanks 1

I finally collected it from my dealer ;)

Car was ordered on 25th Jun 2022, manufactured on 7th December 2022 and eventually delivered to the stealer on 23rd Jan 2023. Thankfully I was able to delay collection to 2nd March 2023.

• Like 3

On 25/02/2023 at 15:17, Gammyleg said:

More a case of what I haven't had done today. For the 2nd Saturday in a row I got a call from the tyre fitters to tell me their wheel balancer is still out of action and could I re-book for next weekend.

This is a chain rather than an independent so the fact that they have been unable to fit a tyre for the last two weeks must mean a whole lot of money is not being earned, so is this a kosher excuse or just BS?. Tyres were ordered and paid weeks ago for so wondering whether its a case of they just haven't turned up yet.

As & when they finally get done I'll maybe name names.

Well week 3 and guess what... still no working balancer. Nonetheless got them to fit the tyres and deduct the cost of balancing from the invoice ( this will be done by their 'Internet Dept' apparently )

Took it for a quick spin on the motorway up to 70mph with no noticeable vibration so wondering whether they need balancing at all. Thoughts/advice on this??  Both were front tyres btw.

7 hours ago, fencer said:

Finally got around to installing a Whiteline adjustable Rear Sway Bar a few days ago. The standard sway bar on the AWD is 22mm, this is 24mm solid steel and I had it set to the hardest of the two settings (so equivalent to 25mm). I kept the factory end links (I'm not going to track this vehicle!).

image.jpeg.a236165bd737c0e303e1501227bab627.jpeg

Definitely worth doing, and transforms the cornering response - it now has a much sharper turn-in, very flat, smooth and precise and a great addition to the Eibach springs. Happily, it's removed much of the inherent understeer and greatly reduced the sense of bulk and weight of the Superb when it's cornering. Ride comfort is unaffected.

Nice. How hard was the install?

On 04/03/2023 at 12:18, Gammyleg said:

Well week 3 and guess what... still no working balancer. Nonetheless got them to fit the tyres and deduct the cost of balancing from the invoice ( this will be done by their 'Internet Dept' apparently )

Took it for a quick spin on the motorway up to 70mph with no noticeable vibration so wondering whether they need balancing at all. Thoughts/advice on this??  Both were front tyres btw.

Sounds as if they might not need balancing - is there anywhere smooth and safe you can test at higher speeds? 

On 03/03/2023 at 13:30, JR RS said:

no IS38 on the horizon for me, instead i'll b going for APR's DTR6054 turbo 

1177682014_apr-t4100003_001.thumb.jpg.c34cbc86abf4a97dfd1d7e431955e92a.jpg

but first i need the bigger APR intercooler.

827192609_apr-ic100019_001.thumb.jpg.63110b0b1ed076a08755984921d1369c.jpg

Any reason for choosing this particular turbo? Looking at e85? I've seen a few threads where people have gone from a stage 2 IS38 to the 6054 and ended up with slower or nearly identical quarter mile times on 98RON. Obviously it'd be a big gain from an IS20 but it's not cheap compared to buying a used IS38 and having a new CHRA put in it. Could also look at an LM440 or EQT Vortex but similar issues there too.

It might be a bit different driving the fronts only but i'd be wary of losing low end torque too, especially on a tuned IS20. When I switched from a stage 2 TD04 to a VF52 on previous WRX (comparable to IS20 to IS38 in size difference) I had the sads from losing my insta-spool around town.

On 03/03/2023 at 13:30, JR RS said:

no IS38 on the horizon for me, instead i'll b going for APR's DTR6054 turbo 

1177682014_apr-t4100003_001.thumb.jpg.c34cbc86abf4a97dfd1d7e431955e92a.jpg

but first i need the bigger APR intercooler.

827192609_apr-ic100019_001.thumb.jpg.63110b0b1ed076a08755984921d1369c.jpg

What if I told you there was a much cheaper option available to you that could get you this sort of performance...

image.thumb.jpeg.dd63c1c07c2db19b63d67c0c71fa88d6.jpeg

vs the APR figures on the Stage 3 package...

image.png.f337972f6ce0051e59b3c151f8e91a1d.png

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Frankenfurter said:

Any reason for choosing this particular turbo? Looking at e85? I've seen a few threads where people have gone from a stage 2 IS38 to the 6054 and ended up with slower or nearly identical quarter mile times on 98RON. Obviously it'd be a big gain from an IS20 but it's not cheap compared to buying a used IS38 and having a new CHRA put in it. Could also look at an LM440 or EQT Vortex but similar issues there too.

It might be a bit different driving the fronts only but i'd be wary of losing low end torque too, especially on a tuned IS20. When I switched from a stage 2 TD04 to a VF52 on previous WRX (comparable to IS20 to IS38 in size difference) I had the sads from losing my insta-spool around town.

the DTR6054 is drop in turbo that is easy to transition from an IS20. 

works with the existing factory components, including factory intercooler if desired and reuses factory wastegate and diverter valve.

although, to make the most of the turbo, an upgraded intercooler, intake and TCU tune is recommended.  i just need to upgrade my intercooler as i've already done the others.

comes with the stage 3 software, which also has the optional FWD file that will limit wheel spin by limiting how torque hits.

i had a conversation with the APR tuner here, and they say that it is perfect for my setup.

2 minutes ago, JR RS said:

i had a conversation with the APR tuner here, and they say that it is perfect for my setup.

That's good that you have a local dealer. That counts for a lot as Stage 3 normally needs tweaking of the OTS map to finish it off so you don't want to be running all over the place.

That first dyno is actually your humble IS20 tuned for e85! Would just need a downpipe, intercooler and HPFP. It's a shame APR stopped development and sale of their stage 1 E85 products after the EA888.2. Judging by the numbers the IS20 guys are getting on corn it would have eaten into their stage 3 sales.

On 04/03/2023 at 12:18, Gammyleg said:

I’ve honestly never known a new tyre/wheel combination not to need to be balanced. 

2 hours ago, numskull said:

I’ve honestly never known a new tyre/wheel combination not to need to be balanced.

Nor me, however this time I think I just got lucky.

I washed my Estate Mk3 on last Sunday (coming back from holidays with very salty roads).

While using the pressure washer at the car wash, another car parks on the place next to mine. I don't really pay attention to it, since the washing slots are separated by smoked windows.

I keep on washing my car and when I was finally rinsing my car, I had a quick look to my car reflecting on these smoked windows. And... instead of seeing my Mk3, it had changed into beautiful black Porsche Taycan !!! 😍🤩😃 Unfortunately, this lasted only 1 sec, before I realized it was not my car, but a real Porsche Taycan on the other side of the smoked window... 😐

I wished my "pumpkin had turned into a carriage until midnight like Cinderella", but this lasted only one second!... 😂

I think my vacation was not relaxing enough... I need more vacation... 😂

• Haha 3

ticked over 163000. And it's filthy. Also my towball appears to be frozen in place, which is annoying as we wanted to use it today and again at the weekend... i think i will drop it into a heated parking garage tomorrow for a couple of hours and hope that fixes it.

Loving the attitude with ESC Sport and snowy roads, it's a blast. Don't like the crappy consumption numbers from -22C though.

• 2 weeks later...
On 05/03/2023 at 05:10, fencer said:

Finally got around to installing a Whiteline adjustable Rear Sway Bar a few days ago. The standard sway bar on the AWD is 22mm, this is 24mm solid steel and I had it set to the hardest of the two settings (so equivalent to 25mm). I kept the factory end links (I'm not going to track this vehicle!).

image.jpeg.a236165bd737c0e303e1501227bab627.jpeg

Definitely worth doing, and transforms the cornering response - it now has a much sharper turn-in, very flat, smooth and precise and a great addition to the Eibach springs. Happily, it's removed much of the inherent understeer and greatly reduced the sense of bulk and weight of the Superb when it's cornering. Ride comfort is unaffected.

Is this the S3 / RS3 part from Whiteline?

On 19/03/2023 at 23:22, coppertop said:

Is this the S3 / RS3 part from Whiteline?

Whiteline part number BWR25XZ, for Mk 7 Golf R/Audi S3.

• Like 1