Windscreen condensation problem

Highlander19

Hi there, I am having issues with really heavy condensation on inside of windscreen, which takes an age to clear.

There is no sign of water ingress or any dampness. Anybody had this problem, and found a solution for it.

Any magic tricks to eliminate this happening.

I had this the other day, I thought it was external frozen rain drops but it was the heaviest condensation I had ever seen Inside!

I had put my frost shield over the windscreen and side windows, the car was parked facing uphill on my drive.

I had done a couple of short distance family ferrying jobs during the day with all the windows shut, heater on,

so I suppose the warmer moist air moved up through the car to my windscreen where it was cold enough to condense but

could not freeze because of the frost screen keeping it just  at the dew point. Hence the big drops of condensation.:biggrin:

Edited by gumdrop

9 hours ago, Dale_Stevens said:

Aldi are currently selling RainX AntiFog for £3.99, no idea how good it is but I've bought a bottle.

IMG_0491-1.thumb.jpeg.fbc3d39d721e315a1cc95c3e5971f341.jpeg

I used this a couple of years ago and it was pretty good, but takes a lot of work to put on properly, first have to thoroughly clean the screen, degreaser and paper towel job, then apply and buff off - lengthy and physical job (if you're getting on).

now I have 2 x 1kg silica moisture absorbing bags on the dash that you can dry in the oven/microwave like these

Fifth Gear 2 x 1kg Silica Gel Car Dehumidifier, Dry Air, Reusable Moisture Absorber Bag, Automotive Dehumidifier, Keep Windows Fog-Free. Prevents Condensation and Mold, Includes 2 x Anti Slip Mat: Amazon.co.uk: Car & Motorbike

also remember that the best way to demist is

1. Aircon ON

2. air vents up onto windscreen

3. max heat

4. max air flow

5. keep All windows shut and set to internally recirculate (to suck moisture out of air inside the car and not suck in more moisture from outside) 

6. rear screen heat demist on

7. mirror heat demist on

8. try not to breathe too much

key criteria for next car = heated windscreen LOL

The only reason for condensation on cold windows is water.
There must be moisture in the car to create the condensation on the screen so that must be sorted first.
Is the rear screen washer working OK? on my Fabia the pipe to rear wash jet had come apart at a joint under rear seat caused by freezing.
Had to run a dehumidifier for a few days to dry things out after repairing pipe.

Rain-X is a good product IMO, but a pain to apply properly. back to the OP ... if you have condensation in the car you either have water in the car or something in the car is holding water ... likely culprits are carpet mats if you are sure you dont have water ingress. In the current weather the mats will just soak up the damp and then you will have condensation issues, either that or you are not allowing the car to dry out properly (prob short journeys.)

Don't forget to run the AC/Climate if you have it as it is effectively an air dryer and will help, but if the problem is consistent then you have a leak or otherwise something is allowing water into the car.

Hope it helps.

It's also worth remebering when you park your car up at the end of the journey, get the interior as cold as possible. I drive the last 3 miles with the heating off and if its not raining, the last mile with the windows open. I find that helps no end.

• Like 1

I agree with the previous posts ,what I do which is not a cure but certainly helps is to use my window vac which removes condensation at a stroke its also great for cleaning car windows a job I hate

I don't have a problem with condensation, my problem is opening frozen shut doors after a night of damp hard frosts. Doors frozen solid even though I've used Gummipleg on seals. Real pain on these cold nights.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Expatman said:

I don't have a problem with condensation, my problem is opening frozen shut doors after a night of damp hard frosts. Doors frozen solid even though I've used Gummipleg on seals. Real pain on these cold nights.

Agree had a slight problem opening my drivers door after it sitting in our rural office car park for 12 hours last night and it was only -4.5C not the -12C seen in the Scottish Highlands recently. Only got 57mpg from my diesel on the commute home as well.

• Like 1

The Car Plan Pre-Icer i bought last year instead of Halford Pre-Icer was rubbish and left very greasy windows.

Brilliant though for spraying on door and hatch seals.

As is other Pre Deicers, or Silicone Spray & even WD 40.  Just clean off after frosts are over.

Be sure to clean the fuel filler flap area and prepare for winter freezing with lubrication of the rubber or just paint to paint.

Screenshot 2021-01-07 at 17.32.20.png

466758.jpeg.0b91a211c1123aa5267703e7a9ca8773.jpeg.9a0fefadbc02a8b919ebd458b90d1cba.jpeg

On 06/01/2021 at 07:18, Halford said:

key criteria for next car = heated windscreen LOL

Must admit, it was a joy to sit inside my Yeti this morning watching the heated windscreen melt the ice, which quickly turned to mush and slid off the glass. 

My first experience of them was when I had a Mondeo many years ago (did Ford introduce them?).  I was so impressed I had one fitted to my Land Rover Defender. Pleased that my Yeti was also the right spec to have one too. 

36 minutes ago, Dale_Stevens said:

My first experience of them was when I had a Mondeo many years ago (did Ford introduce them?).

Not sure but I had one on a 1988 Sierra XR4x4 company car and several Sierras after that.

No, I have different values now.

I actually had 2 in quick succession,  I returned from Thailand to find the first one missing, later found torched, I keep better company now as well :blush

Edited by J.R.

14 hours ago, J.R. said:

Not sure but I had one on a 1988 Sierra XR4x4 company car and several Sierras after that.

Yes Ford introduced them and held the patent for many years.

That's why they ended up being standard on a Fiesta but an expensive option on many other brands.  When Ford owned Jaguar and Volvo many of their models has heated screen as standard to.

Through the 90's and 00's I had four Sierra's and five Mondeo's  and all the V6 sizes. 2.5, 2.8, 2.9 and 3.0

The Sierra 4x4 system was superb, 34% Front / 66% Rear continuous torque split and a viscous limited slip diff in the rear axle. Very predictable and drivable. The first Subaru Impreza's used the same setup.

Lee

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Dale_Stevens said:

Must admit, it was a joy to sit inside my Yeti this morning watching the heated windscreen melt the ice, which quickly turned to mush and slid off the glass. 

I also have the heated windscreen. Being on the South Coast and gratefully retired I don't actually use mine very much and now wish I hadn't specced it - along with the park assist which I've barely used once the novelty wore off. I don't like being able to see the heating element under certain lighting conditions and - and this could be me being paranoid - I seem to have a lot more chips in the windscreen than I've ever had with other cars (and that's after a replacement screen about four years ago, so not even the original screen and nearly eight years driving). This could of course simply be the shape of the Yeti and the angle of the screen - perhaps a more raked screen is less susceptible to anything thrown up from the road. I'd be interested to hear what others have experienced, particularly those members who have has Yetis both with and without the heated windscreen.

Sorry, I seem to be hijacking the OP's thread!

57 minutes ago, Paul52 said:

I also have the heated windscreen. Being on the South Coast and gratefully retired I don't actually use mine very much and now wish I hadn't specced it - along with the park assist which I've barely used once the novelty wore off. I don't like being able to see the heating element under certain lighting conditions and - and this could be me being paranoid - I seem to have a lot more chips in the windscreen than I've ever had with other cars (and that's after a replacement screen about four years ago, so not even the original screen and nearly eight years driving). This could of course simply be the shape of the Yeti and the angle of the screen - perhaps a more raked screen is less susceptible to anything thrown up from the road. I'd be interested to hear what others have experienced, particularly those members who have has Yetis both with and without the heated windscreen.

Sorry, I seem to be hijacking the OP's thread!

I've had Yeti's with and without heated windscreen and no difference with chips. Living in North Yorkshire I appreciate the heated windscreen even though I'm retired, quick defrost and also quickly gets rid of condensation from warm passengers on a cold evening.

On 07/01/2021 at 15:41, Expatman said:

Don't get too ambitious in trying to open them:

• 2 weeks later...
On 07/01/2021 at 15:41, Expatman said:

I get that with my Roomster. As these car do not have gutters moisture runs off the roof and into the seals and freezes. I am surprised that as Czech winters may be colder than the UK this problem has not been factored into the design. Also after rain when opening the door I get a wet seat.

Very cold is not an issue if there is not 'wet' before the cold.  Or cold and snow and thaw and cold etc.

Skoda have had decades to sort out door Seals and freezing fuel flaps and have failed over generation of model after model, the issue is resolved by discontinuing the cars.

They obviously test cars all around the world in extremes. 

Pity they never include doing that in the UK in not very extreme conditions.

• john999boy changed the title to Windscreen condensation problem

Just one small tip for the damp interior windscreen.

I have an old bed padded under blanket in the garage covering up my bike.

On suspect very cold nights I drape that across the dash top & tuck in well up to the screen.

In the morning, I carefully remove & screen is as normal.

If you experience sticking doors on the rubber seals, I have used dry chain lube, spray a little on to cloth & wipe over the seal. 

On 05/01/2021 at 19:52, Highlander19 said:

Hi there, I am having issues with really heavy condensation on inside of windscreen, which takes an age to clear.

There is no sign of water ingress or any dampness. Anybody had this problem, and found a solution for it.

Any magic tricks to eliminate this happening.

Have you got a panoramic roof? Is so, it maybe be leaking.