TMC traffic events no longer being received...firmware update required?

1 hour ago, pcbbc said:

Yes, I’m leaving all the links to their original downloads.

BTW It’s really frustrating that we lose the ability to edit posts after a while here. 😡

You have to be a moderator and edit silently.... How I get my readability improved elsewhere then flag it up as an edit when you want people to take notice 😉.

I'm still a little confused, as I thought the TMC signal was turned off, so how does older maps work or have I go this wrong ???

Is this the correct procedure to get TMC active again, as I dont possess VCSD/OBD11.

I have a Octavia 2016, I thinks its a Amundsen (MIB2), SD reader in glovebox
I've attached a photo of build details.
So am I correct in the following process:
1) Format SD card
2) Unzip "Unmodifed V12 map download DiscoverMedia2_EU_AS_1430_V12.7z" to SD card
3) Unzip "DiscoverMedia2_EU_AS_1430_V12_TMC_Update.7z" to SD card and let it overwrite existing files

Thanks in advance.

image.jpeg

• Like 1

If you don’t want to, or can’t, change any coding, then…

Step 3 you need the updated “DiscoverMedia2_EU_AS_1430_V12_TMC_Update_V2.7z” I posted a link to later.

Earlier maps were provided by Here. Later maps were provided by TomTom.

Here thoughtfully (or through error 😉) include the TMC location tables for many different providers in their maps. Which one is used by the unit is determined by configuration.  In the UK there were 2 different providers, TrafficMaster which have ceased operations, and INRIX who are still broadcasting.  The update files simply switch the configuration to use the remaining provider.

TomTom only included the location tables for TMC providers that are actually configured on the vehicle (TrafficMaster). Therefore you could switch configuration to INRIX, but without the required matching location tables you won’t get any messages displayed.

And no, you can’t just transfer the location tables from the old maps to the new ones. It’s not as simple as that. Different map providers and intervening map updates make the location tables incompatible between versions.

• Like 1

So, can I retain existing maps on SD card and just install  “DiscoverMedia2_EU_AS_1430_V12_TMC_Update_V2.7z” to existing SD Card ??

2 minutes ago, cp123 said:

So, can I retain existing maps on SD card and just install  “DiscoverMedia2_EU_AS_1430_V12_TMC_Update_V2.7z” to existing SD Card ??

No you need V12 maps for it to work.

1 hour ago, pcbbc said:

If you don’t want to, or can’t, change any coding, then…

Step 3 you need the updated “DiscoverMedia2_EU_AS_1430_V12_TMC_Update_V2.7z” I posted a link to later.

Earlier maps were provided by Here. Later maps were provided by TomTom.

Here thoughtfully (or through error 😉) include the TMC location tables for many different providers in their maps. Which one is used by the unit is determined by configuration.  In the UK there were 2 different providers, TrafficMaster which have ceased operations, and INRIX who are still broadcasting.  The update files simply switch the configuration to use the remaining provider.

TomTom only included the location tables for TMC providers that are actually configured on the vehicle (TrafficMaster). Therefore you could switch configuration to INRIX, but without the required matching location tables you won’t get any messages displayed.

And no, you can’t just transfer the location tables from the old maps to the new ones. It’s not as simple as that. Different map providers and intervening map updates make the location tables incompatible between versions.

Suspect HereMaps was the total suite of software and look up tables aimed to be implemented across a plethora of satnav systems whilst TomTom are just for TomTom and I reckon Inrix was never supported on any TomTom systems. Might be told I'm wrong. The developer that generate the Mib upload shoehorns in the cartography files into the documented profile of how the system works.  The HereMaps implentatention left the hooks in for all they supported whilst TomTom never supported Inrix or they just moved forward with the minimum of what was required. One of the two. Suspect it's TomTom was only populated for TomTom systems which never supported Inrix... whilst HereMaps did on some of their clients or thought they might.

Edited by Tell

At least one standalone TomTom device supports TM and INRIX. Someone sent me the database. 😁

But you are right, some other Here client or consortium member (BMW?) uses INRIX in its vehicles, so hence it’s inclusion in the Here mapping product. It would be really easy as part of the VAG map extract not to include a certain provider.

• Like 1

I've just come back from 10 days in France and the TMC was disabled there too, though not sure if that is significant,

I did have a lot of trouble locating French destinations on the car's stanav (entering Lat and Long was the best but lengthy) and ended up using Google Maps via my phone which was very simple and straightforward.

I don't if it's possible to convert the Amundsen system to display Google Maps via Android Auto, but it's an option I'd consider. 

(Amundsen Touch Screen, 2016 Octavia)

3 minutes ago, BionicJohn said:

I've just come back from 10 days in France and the TMC was disabled there too, though not sure if that is significant,

I did have a lot of trouble locating French destinations on the car's stanav (entering Lat and Long was the best but lengthy) and ended up using Google Maps via my phone which was very simple and straightforward.

I don't if it's possible to convert the Amundsen system to display Google Maps via Android Auto, but it's an option I'd consider. 

I use the built-in Sat Nav on my '23 facelift Karoq SEL (Amundsen infotainment)  some of the time, but I've also got GoogleMaps, Waze & HereWeGo on my Samsung Galaxy phone, and all three work into the Amundsen via a wired connection. (There are Youtube videos showing wireless connections for Android Auto - iPhones can apparently connect wirelessly using Apple CarPlay)

I find each of the apps has its own features and keep all three on the phone for that purpose.

Android Auto is set to auto-start on the phone, and it's occasionally slightly disconcerting to be using the built-in Sat Nav (I like its mapping graphics) & have Waze cut in & announce an upcoming accident or pothole, vehicle on the hard shoulder,etc.

• Like 1

Now I am home from holiday, I have recreated my spare skoda card with the V12 maps and then applied the V2 patch and it works on my MIB2 standard. It took a minute or so before the red diagonal line dissappeared and two messages popped up, one in North Wales and one in Barnsley.  I am in Cheshire. 

Great thanks to those who worked out a solution, I will keep new and V12 maps in the car and swap when needed.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BionicJohn said:

I use the Playstore N45 E25 app to peak a boo into Google Maps it will generate the DMS coordinates that the destination on map uses option uses (the thumb control entry). You just dial them in. Also gives you a Street View so you can look at the location for car entrances. Google POIs can be hit and miss so manual check and dial in is more accurate.

Screenshot_20230711-145120.thumb.png.806ece72a41ce3587fe6bc3dfcc66251.png

You can save favourites

Screenshot_20230711-144905.thumb.png.dceda25ab2f53eae0f2dbfb14d6a7f91.png

Screenshot_20230711-145056.thumb.png.3020afc1bee54371c6618b88696d3810.png

It's also generates standard sat nav coordinates as well as the DMS Vag use in Mib2. You can just click go and it kicks off Google maps. Really an adjoint to Google Maps but produces useful functionality in the DMS entry for the car if you want to use the built in satnav.

Being old school use Poinspector and N45, E45 to generate the decimal degrees and minutes. Then imports as POIs into the car, then store as destinations. You then get the blob on the map. This was a Skoda trick to get POIs into the destination memory that I was told about. Useful trick but that was the time when the VW import POI was available. Now once Poinspector is set up you can do speed cameras plus destinations. It makes the cars navigation system on screen look like a traditional sat nav.

On 10/07/2023 at 16:57, Tell said:

If you can leave the two versions of the TMC update file on mega it wont mess up my post on the Seat site.

So

TMC providers update: DiscoverMedia2_EU_AS_1430_V12_TMC_Update_V2.7z

For 15 (default TMC code) and for 1023 if you have VCDS / Obdeleven

TMC providers update: DiscoverMedia2_EU_AS_1430_V12_TMC_Update.7z

I do credit you and bigade1.

Which additional European one's.

All, I've tried all of this and I get a "please insert valid media" when I put the SD card in.  It's not a Skoda proprietary card (but surely shouldn't have to be?), maybe I've got the formatting wrong?  Any advice gratefully received.

5 minutes ago, NottsIan said:

I believe it DOES have to be a Skoda proprietary card. They are coded in some way that the nav system checks.

So bad, oh well will have to make do without I guess

35 minutes ago, NottsIan said:

I believe it DOES have to be a Skoda proprietary card. They are coded in some way that the nav system checks.

VAG group cards have a specific CID (card identification number) on them that the device checks. You can't change this by formatting or copying the maps onto the card. you can buy SD cards with the correct CID on them from Aliexpress and some old SD cards can have the CID modified by specific software. The easiest way is to use your existing genuine card or buy a genuine card from eBay with old maps.

I bought a genuine 16gb Skoda card with 2017 maps on it for £12 inc. postage from eBay, just big enough to hold the V12 maps downloaded, it means I can have patched old maps with TMC working or 2023/2024 maps by just swapping the cards over. 

Edited by NigelR99
additional info
  • Like 2

I did a boo boo, I think I downloaded the wrong modified tmc update. So is it the V2 for the non coding route? 

On my leon (and the arona for that matter)  I did the original 1023 coding and works, but for the other halfs Arona which is under the service plan with seat I wanted to try and keep it as original as poss so they can't say I've been coding it. 

1 hour ago, NigelR99 said:

VAG group cards have a specific CID (card identification number) on them that the device checks. You can't change this by formatting or copying the maps onto the card. you can buy SD cards with the correct CID on them from Aliexpress and some old SD cards can have the CID modified by specific software. The easiest way is to use your existing genuine card or buy a genuine card from eBay with old maps.

I bought a genuine 16gb Skoda card with 2017 maps on it for £12 inc. postage from eBay, just big enough to hold the V12 maps downloaded, it means I can have patched old maps with TMC working or 2023/2024 maps by just swapping the cards over. 

I covered writing to Gold cards here but it's cheaper to buy a Vag any card :). Blow by blow account of how to clone.

https://www.seatcupra.net/forums/threads/updating-the-inbuilt-mib2-satnav-mib2-tricks-and-lost-mib1-card-solution.388586/page-99#post-4899199

Other way is people back the firmware with that mib2 standard tool box which allows you to use normal cards. High risk option.

23 minutes ago, Lamplite1c said:

I did a boo boo, I think I downloaded the wrong modified tmc update. So is it the V2 for the non coding route? 

On my leon (and the arona for that matter)  I did the original 1023 coding and works, but for the other halfs Arona which is under the service plan with seat I wanted to try and keep it as original as poss so they can't say I've been coding it. 

V2 is the non coding route yes. If the cars current map is pre v12 you needs to do the Seat workaround as well if it's a Seat. V2 works fine on an Arona what I tested it on... and the gold card as well 😇. Have three cards, the Seat original 16gb, a Skoda 32gb and Samsung Gold card from the experiment I did a few years back. Used that one. Those I experiment with on the partners card.... very understanding 🤣.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Tell said:

V2 is the non coding route yes. If the cars current map is pre v12 you needs to do the Seat workaround as well if it's a Seat. V2 works fine on an Arona what I tested it on... and the gold card as well 😇. Have three cards, the Seat original 16gb, a Skoda 32gb and Samsung Gold card from the experiment I did a few years back. Used that one. Those I experiment with on the partners card.... very understanding 🤣.

Lol, yes understanding until it stops working lol.🤣🤣🤣 no that's great thanks 👍 👍  I'll download the V2 and merge it onto the nav card. Just didn't want seat to get picky about the workaround 😀😀😀

Hi again. So here's the thing. Not being remotely as technically knowledgeable as many of you out there I am now suffering from  information overload. I have read and reread many of the posts but am no clearer as to whether or not the is a solution for my Columbus kit. Below are two screen shots from my head unit and what I would like to know is: is there a fix, if so what is it so if I can locate someone with the right dongle get the changes made. All help gratefully received. Thanks.

IMG_0655[1].JPG

IMG_0744[1].JPG