Rear disc brake wear

Just checked availability of pads/discs on ecp/carparts4less/gsf for my 2018 1.4tsi.

Whereas a few months back mk iii brake bits were scarce, there is now a healthy selection of pad makes and discs available.

Prices cheap, eg rear 12mm solid discs £35 for a pair.

I can live with that.

Edited by xman

I noticed there is a TPI from 2014 that still applies to MY17 (see attached):

“Minimum 10 km with repeated braking, warming up the brakes to operating temperature and cleaning the brake discs from corrosion.

The handbrake can be used to properly clean the rear brake discs. Do not use the handbrake at a speed higher than 15 km/h and pull it only with such a force to prevent the rear wheels being blocked.”

“Also the corrosion caused by dirt, flying sand, parking for longer time, road salt etc. are wear factors, resulting e.g. in the creation of grooves in the brake discs. Affected may be in this case the brake pads, disc and callipers.”

Service information Assessing brake discs replacements .pdf

Edited by Alan_P
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Alan_P said:

The handbrake can be used to properly clean the rear brake discs. Do not use the handbrake

at a speed higher than 15 km/h and pull it only with such a force to prevent the rear wheels

being blocked.”

I'd like to see you try this with the electronic handbrake. :blink:

• Haha 2

If you want the brakes to last then try this:-

Take them apart once a year ( in the autumn is best ) and thoroughly clean and re grease them.

I found that it was worth doing this even on my Fabia III at 5 months and 5 K miles old.

Don't think that just because the car is new this is not required.

Use the brakes firmly every so often to keep them clean and working.

Think of the brakes as muscles that need firm exercise to keep them fit and working properly.

Thanks AG Falco

• Like 3

Just had rear disks and pads replaced by main dealer at 38,000 miles. A bit premature in my opinion as most of my journeys are dual carriageway.

can't argue really though as car has performed faultlessly for every one of those miles.

• 3 months later...

Oddly enough it seems to be the problem with the pads - factory ones are ATE Ceramic and those tend to score the disc - changed to trw GDB 1957, disc after a 100km city looks like you would normally expect, I mean equaly good as fronts. Ceramics - almost no dust.

• Confused 1

On 02/01/2019 at 21:02, Flasheris said:

Oddly enough it seems to be the problem with the pads - factory ones are ATE Ceramic and those tend to score the disc - changed to trw GDB 1957, disc after a 100km city looks like you would normally expect, I mean equaly good as fronts. Ceramics - almost no dust.

Is it? I read the entire thread and despite being 5 pages long I found no clear conclusion what the culprit is. People guess it could be soft discs, then a mention of lack of brake guards, then seized pins on sliding calipers, then pads. Then a mention of similar issues on BMW's and Opel's (for all those sworn Skoda haters...) And then some cars seem to be much better than others.

People that got discs replaced how are they getting on with the replacement? Did it really solve the problem? Cost of new discs is peanuts but no point in replacing discs if something else is causing it.

Then the following topic was created 2 days ago and it might actually explain the problem: Faulty calipers (guess they were not releasing properly) which were replaced under warranty (together with scorched discs of-course). It's also in line with reports in this thread of rear discs being hot (hotter than fronts at least) after driving without brake application for a while. Now since this is not an official TSB it does not mean that every dealer would bother investigating this, most would simply stick to "discs are a wear n tear item so pay up" and owners would continue to be in this loop of discs wearing out prematurely. Definitely something I'd be pushing my dealer to investigate and demonstrate to me that it's functioning properly If I came across the issue. If however it really is pads or, even better, discs, the solution is cheap and simple.

Edited by newbie69

• 2 months later...

Update from me -

Car is now just short of 3 years old, rear discs were knackerd and pads surprising low as i think they had dragged a bit...

Car went in for its first MOT, MOT advisory about the condition of the rear discs and Skoda recommended they were changed.

As a result, new discs, pads and a few other things all replaced to the cost of about £350 + VAT.

Following this and a brake fluid change, the car does feel to roll a lot nicer now.

20190310_162816_HDR_zpsza0qbgq1.jpg

20190310_163035_zpslu05kytg.jpg

20190310_162812_HDR_zpsoi9ijsue.jpg

20190310_163001_zpsuhzpc29e.jpg

20190310_162854_HDR_zps7lh5axaf.jpg

new

20190312_082849_zpszgncuh4g.jpg

20190312_082854_zpskkastzn5.jpg

20190312_082820_zps8apz6rqy.jpg

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

finally replaced all
ODO: 76600km

vaAAAgLQ4eA-1920.jpg

lmAAAgLQ4eA-1920.jpg

to Otto Zimmermann

Front Brake Discs (2pcs)
100.3300.20 ZIMMERMANN Audi Coat Z
(Original Nr: 1K0 615 301 AA)

Rear Brake Discs (2pcs)
600.3252.20 ZIMMERMANN VAG Coat Z
(Original Nr: 3Q0 615 601)

Front pads (4pcs)
25683.200.2 ZIMMERMANN

Rear pads (4pcs)
25009.165.1 ZIMMERMANN

v0AAAgLQ4eA-960.jpg  tiAAAgLQ4eA-960.jpg

• Thanks 1

@MartiniB Hi, few questions to better assess the mileage:

- Since you have DSG gearbox, do you often switch to manual mode to use the motorbrake or not at all?

- What is your typical use (Motorway, road, city)?

- What is your type of driving (agressive, normal, soft)? 

Thanks for clarifying ;) !

My rear discs (2016 TSI220) were replaced at 35000 miles when the car went in for its first MOT in August, they were horribly grooved -- luckily VWFS paid since it was leased with full servicing...

28 minutes ago, Bap33 said:

Hi, few questions to better assess the mileage:

1. - Since you have DSG gearbox, do you often switch to manual mode to use the motorbrake or not at all?

2. - What is your typical use (Motorway, road, city)?

3. - What is your type of driving (agressive, normal, soft)? 

Thanks for clarifying ;) !

1. not exact manual, but often put back DSG stick from 'D' to 'S' a second or two before pres brake pedal

after stopped switching back to 'D', except there is traffic jam, to stay in firs gear

or i have to overtake and there is dry asphalt

2. 80% city 😞

3. some passengers says "aggressive", but i have never accelerated to red light on the next crossroad,
i will say dynamic :)
another try describe my style, i don't like ACC in the city, it brakes faster than i prefer

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

My car is at the dealership for an unrelated warranty issue and I just received the advisory:

- Discs rear soared (£ 678 to replace!)

- Front pads 35% worn

- Rear pads 65% worn

Current mileage 22K miles and 2.5 years old. Mixed driving (small roads and motorway).

Sounds like I might have a rear calliper issue?

21 hours ago, mulsoft said:

My car is at the dealership for an unrelated warranty issue and I just received the advisory:

- Discs rear soared (£ 678 to replace!)

- Front pads 35% worn

- Rear pads 65% worn

Current mileage 22K miles and 2.5 years old. Mixed driving (small roads and motorway).

Sounds like I might have a rear calliper issue?

If rear pads are only 65% I doubt you have a caliper issue.  The disks are junk as standard and scoring and rust is a common issue on them.  That price is a joke, parts from ECP are £100 plus fitting.  Should be no more than £200 all in from an Indy.

Had my rears discs and pads replaced at 15000 miles as badly marked up (looked like an old 45 rpm record) exactly the same as some of the images in this thread..

Dealer said they couldnt do it under warranty as Skoda only covers brakes for the first 6 or 7k, but the dealer went halves with me on the cost. I mean literally, when I got the invoice they only charged me for 1 rear disc and 1 set of pads, lol. Both sides were changed.

I have now done 6k in the last 4 months, and the discs are still looking as good as new. 

The only thing that I have changed is, I no longer use the auto hold. After chatting with the tech guys at my dealer, we wondered if the auto hold was dragging slightly on pull away, so I havent used it since the disc change.

3 hours ago, edbostan said:

They must use Bacofoil. I was surprised that a lip was forming after 2k miles of motoring on my Roomster- the discs and pads are no doubt shared across the range

A lot of the lip is generally bubbled up rust so looks much worse than it is, though still poor as all OEM discs appear to be, but it's no worse than most vehicles I've had or replaced discs on - VX cars, Citroen, Peugeot and Renault small car derived vans and BMW Mini.

Just yesterday I went on the Autodoc app, and snapped up some Brembo rear discs and pads (OEM replacements, not upgrades).

I did the same last year with the fronts, got some Brembo Max drilled discs.

£85.96 for rear discs and pads all in

I'll fit them myself, dealers can **** off they've had enough of my money 👍

• Like 1