Skoda - Why did you buy one?

I was looking for my second car as I feared how my poor old 1st gen Ford Focus would hold up to the long commute for my new job.

Also I wanted something 2 litre, turbo, petrol manual, roughly under 30k that will last. So that left me the Focus ST/RS, Civic Type R and Octavia vRS. I was surprised at how cramped the new Focus is now. As I carpool that was no good. I love the 4x4 of the RS but its still small. The Civic I fell in love with driving and its looks but the really limited finance options meant I just could not afford.

vRS Octavia seemed super good value and I was surprised with the amount of tech on offer. Trying to spec one with the options list under £30k was hard because they all look so cool :P I was still a bit hesitant because it seemed the softest out of the three for looks and power.

The 230 came out while I was looking and kind of sold me. Also it comes in an estate form which I kind of want to experiment with now after watching too much MCM on YouTube :P

The dealer says mines built 2nd week of October and pickup in November so I am really excited for it. Never bought a new car before :D

• Like 1

My first Superb was a straight choice between a 2.0tdi Elegance 140 or a similar A4 SE. As I was covering huge mileages, the comforts of the well spec'd Superb won, no regrets either. 120k in two years without missing a beat.

As a result, SWMBO was talked into Fabia 105 tdi, rapid for what it is but hasn't been quite as reliable as I'd expect. Would still consider another when its replaced but the lack of a higher powered DSG option might push us elsewhere.

My current A6 was heading towards replacement with a 4x4 VRS but losing that variant means it'll be something else, probably an A4 Avant Quattro, which comes in at not too much more money.

Why buy Skoda? No nonsense models, great value, excellent build, unstinting reliability and a good dealer set up. Not sure how many still apply though?

I live some 60 miles from the factory so it has always been a bit of a "support your local farmer" thing. I would not buy a bad car just because it's Czech but if a car is decent, it surely adds some points. I like seeing Skoda doing well. 

Apart from that, practicality and value for money are huge factors.

Moreover, I have a strong dislike for weak engines, automatic gearboxes and electronic assistants. Skoda still lets me spec the car so that I get a relatively strong engine, a stick and not much bull**** (after I kill the start/stop monstrosity).

I have just bought a new car and I had been shopping around. Ditched VW, Audi and BMW (value for money), Volvo (expensive), Subaru (not a single one I liked). Got a fantastic deal from Toyota on Avensis but simply could not find one with an engine I would not hate. Mercedes (see Volvo).

I did not check Huyndai or KIA no idea why... just doesn't feel right. Mazda has a weak representation here, would not buy a Jaguar (see Mad Men), Fiat, Renault, Citroen, Peugeot - uhm, no :) 

So if you look at it, for me Skoda is not love, it's what's left on the table when you evaluate and remove other options. I am not a fan, I am a rational user :)

We had a Fabia from 2005 until we traded it in for an Octavia in July after I sold (too expensive to run when we're retired) Audi RS4.

Why an Octavia estate? Because it has a very large boot and we both liked the Fabia (but not the former dealer in Southampton, Freeborn, who were worse than useless).

my last four cars have been toyota (corolla, rav-4 and two avensis. plan was buying the new avensis but checking what you get for the money the skoda octavia was a better choice and after a year in the skoda i dont regret it.

Needed an estate car to replace my high mileage Volvo V50 1.8S, which would be cheaper to run, more reliable, cheaper to service/repair and had more space for ageing back seat passengers and dog. Octavia Estate 1.6 diesel SE ticked all the boxes. I've now had a 15 reg one for 4 months and 6,500 miles and love it. Roomy, comfortable, better tech than the V50 and averaging 60.1mpg.

Extras added include dash mounted TomTom 6100, Drivepro 200 dashcam (both hard wired), tinted windows, cruise control, front mudflaps, dog guard and rubber mats. A very happy chappie.

• Like 1

Bought mine and the wifes first skodas in 2007 (when they were still cheap!!!)

New 57 plate PD Vrs cost £15K and the wifes Mk1 Fabia Vrs was about £9K

Since then I have had a Superb Elegance and then the Yeti Elegance and the wife has also swapped to the Mk2 Fabia Vrs. 

Should take delivery of my new Octavia Vrs next weekend

Quite simple really, at first it was purely about economics, then for the last two it was brand loyalty.

Not sure I'll have another one after this though, they're getting too expensive (Octy was nearly £30K all in), residuals aren't that great either. I have also noticed that the sales people are getting to the stage that they don't really care any more either about aftercare, have to chase them all the time, it used to be that they were helpful and efficient, not so much any more, seem more interested in just selling you a car and then onto the next customer.

TBF if I didn't have to have a diesel car I'd have probably gone for a Focus RS this time round.

Edited by bigjim73

This is my first Skoda. The brand isn't available in the US, the iron curtain connection probably wouldn't go over well with some buyers. But since VW is positioned as a semi-premium brand in the US, there is room for an economy brand below it, so I think they should bring Skoda to the US.

Anyhow, the Octavia estate was about the perfect combo for my family. Most mid size cars these days are almost too big. The Octy is on the small side of mid-size, which makes it perfect for a family of four. The back seat is big enough for adults, the boot is bigger than many SUVs. It is one of the only family cars in Australia that offers a manual. It gets good fuel consumption. The interior and exterior styling is handsome and should age well. Like its footprint, the price neatly splits the difference between compacts and mid-size.

Lastly, it has a certain exoticism that a Mondeo, Mazda6, or Sonata can't match.

The combination of cost/quality/performance/space made buying my Mk2 FL a no-brainer.  Fast forward 6 years and I expected another VRS to be very much my default replacement, but after a test drive I was unconvinced.

I think I'll wait and see what 2017 brings.   

My first Skoda bought in June this year (Scout TDi 184 DSG), ticked all the boxes for me;

4x4

Auto

Good fuel consumption - (doesn't normally go with the above!)

Smart looks - race blue with the silver contrast mirrors and roof rails really works for me

Comfortable

Good value

A bit 'different'

Also, the interior and boot space, not normally a major factor for me but the way the boot swallowed up a vast amount of luggage, 4 people had legroom and a pleasant environment to sit in and it took us over a thousand miles across France this summer averaging 45-50mpg makes it a winner for me.

the fact that EVO magazine had one as a long term test and loved it ...and the fact its was the biggest part of £10k cheaper than a similar spec A4 Avant

Nearly 3 months in and loving my VRS estate with plenty of options

Sat in my Mondeo Zetec S on the A52 watching a petrol VRS nip past car after car made my mind up and I bought a Ex-Skoda UK eight month old TFSI VRS in 2008 for £15K. Loved it as an undervalued rock solid underdog, and enjoyed taking the smile off a few drivers of 'prestige' cars. My MkIII VRS TSI is much more expensive although with a load more toys and is rather more common than the MKII so the underdog factor is gone.

1st octy

Coming from range rovers & high end Mercedes had decided on an a6 but on the way home called in at the skoda garage just out of curiosity , came out with the octy elegance estate ! Just very impressed with the car and the value for money

2nd octy (60000 miles later )

First one in for warranty work nowt serious just details , wandering round the forecourt fell in love with a black magic with black design pack Vrs - even negotiated a good deal so it was a no brainier

Before this Vrs my previous favourite car was a Mercedes class 350 Amg , my Vrs beats it hands down

Had Skoda's on and off since the 70s, don't think they were ever as bad as were made out to be.

Now on my third 4x4 Octavia two of them DSG and just can't find anything to beat them for me, the boot is ace, the load hatch in the rear seat is just what I want to carry my Longbow, and the 4x4 has never looked like letting me down what ever the weather or ground conditions. 

Just finding the need now for raised seating! Kodiak maybe?

Previously value, but I don't think they have this any more.

^^^^ This plus the 0% over 42 months, 3 years free servicing, a quite potent diesel (with me coming from a 136bhp Focus CC) and promised fuel economy of 61mpg combined.

Alas, the latter turned out to be quite ingenious marketing.

Round these parts it still does offer uniqueness, my end of the woods I've seen plenty of Mk3's but not many capable petrol vRS

Look at bottom of this list then tell me there are bucketloads of octy PETROL vRS, looks like not even 2k worth ?

https://www.howmanyleft.co.uk/?utf8=%E2%9C%93&q=octavia+vrs&commit=Search

Bought a Skoda vRS Octy because it was the best my choices, it is a big car for the money. my smallest car since 1994 has been a Volvo v40 T4. The main trouble is I've hired a lot of decent cars so got a bit spoilt. Plus I do actually like it.

• Sciroco but bit expensive with options

• The volvo V40 would of been an option if I could of got a T3 R-Design for the same sort of per/month cost.

• A3 options expensive. S-Line range a bit too stiff.

• The BMW 1 series but options were expensive.

Will I get another Skoda, in 2.5 years we will see, if I don't like the Octy or no sporty version at the time probably not.

Edited by davitc

Round these parts it still does offer uniqueness, my end of the woods I've seen plenty of Mk3's but not many capable petrol vRS

Look at bottom of this list then tell me there are bucketloads of octy PETROL vRS, looks like not even 2k worth ?

https://www.howmanyleft.co.uk/?utf8=%E2%9C%93&q=octavia+vrs&commit=Search

Mines even rarer then being a DSG.

To be fair I do not see that many Octavia VRS's around my way, so it's still got that exclusive feel, compared to Mercedes-Benz and BMW.

Mine always gets a nice comments.

• Like 1

I've had cars from several makers; Fiat, Opel, Ford, Nissan and Toytota, so I'm not very loyal to one particular brand. Test drove few different candidates last time I was buying a car, swallowed my prejudice (yes I'm closer to 60 so Skoda has not always been that well respected) and bought an Octy that seemed to fit my needs the best. Now done some 50000 km in two and half years....no regrets. Needs ? economical, big boot space, performant enough and a price tag that allows me to do also something else than own a car :)

Edited by Han2u
  • Like 1