Error service: leave vehicle only when selector in position p

12 hours ago, ahenners said:

Do you have full dealer service history? Ask for some goodwill contribution. It's a common issue as per this thread and I'd be surprised if you couldn't get some contribution via the dealer or via Skoda UK.

yeah its all full dealer service history. I will pursue this.

5 hours ago, Sergiu1983 said:

Hello guys, it's just happened to me to receive this message i have a skoda 66 plate 1.6 dsg and after the message apear second time i went to the skoda dealer the told me to come for a quick check if i have time in the same day.. and when they diagnosticated the car they found the gear selector fault... this was at the quick check and they made me a booking after 11 days to make again the diagnostic and order the parts (this is what they told me that day) and when i was second time the fauld didn't apear and they keep the car all day and check it but the fault didn't apeared again, and they told me if they can't see the fault they can't do anything under the warranty... so they give me the same answer like some of you here they told me to take a photo to the error when apears again.... but the message dissapears very fast in like 2 seconds.... and after this in called skoda customer service and after i told them the problem they answered me with the same thing to try to male a photo of the error message... After i read all your messages i undersrstood that i need to do a VCDS DIAGNOSTIC is correct? And the diagnostic will find the fault? Please help me with the best options regarding this problem.I still have warranty until November. Sorry for my english is not my first language!

Thank you in advance!

I have downloaded photograph of the internet and it was sufficient for my garage to replace it under warranty. Tell them that it also pop up while you are driving on the motorway and it is a health and safety isssue. It worked for me :)

1B6140F8-C7D1-4F86-ACFB-59B98A11D00C.jpeg

Just for your info, Skoda customer services were considering a good will contribution for mine. I didn't tell them I had a 3rd party warranty as I wanted Skoda to sort it. As it happened, my rather excellent Ford Gold Protect warranty covered it with no issue so I didn't need Skodas help - but they were prepared to discuss it.

• Like 1

Hello all,

I just did today the vcds diagnostic and didn't find any fault.I'm thinking to wait until the error pop up again and repeat the diagnostic? Or what solution you suggest? Please help

P.S when i was at the dealer for the quick check in the same day when the error appeard they saw the fault!!!!

So this will be the best solution?

I appreciate any help or answer!!!!

Edited by Sergiu1983
Forgot to mention few words

Got my car back after having this fault fixed under warranty. The gears on the dsg seem to be behaving differently, they seem smoother and hold in gear longer before changing up. Before they changed the part and the error was popping up every other week the gears seemed to change up very quickly, almost as if it was in ECO mode all the time.

Happy it's done and I hope it doesn't return. 

Hi guys

Well I wrote to skoda uk with a compain on the issue. They replied back to me via telephone call. I was told they will speak to the dealer for a good will gesture. I am not sure what this gesture will include but I will get back to you with the outcome.

keep you posted 

• 2 weeks later...
On 23/06/2019 at 12:40, true247spartan said:

Hi guys

Well I wrote to skoda uk with a compain on the issue. They replied back to me via telephone call. I was told they will speak to the dealer for a good will gesture. I am not sure what this gesture will include but I will get back to you with the outcome.

keep you posted 

Hello,

So you have any news with the issue?  I had the error message again today and i went directly to the dealer for check and they found the fault error and booked me in the date of 16 for 2 hours test.And i told them what if fault dissapear until then and they said that they can't do anything else ... that is the only free space.I called skoda and they told me to wait until the date of 16 to make the test again and if nothing will show to call them and go to a big skoda dealer for some extra verification. This is what happened today regarding this error again!. 

So until now i had the error message 3 times and i lost one day and a half and still nothing. I will wait the date of 16 to see what happens

Edited by Sergiu1983

Hi,

So after not seeing this message for a few weeks. I was driving down the motorway and it flashed up for a few seconds only and about 10 times over 70 miles in one hour (See what I did there!) . So having thought the problem had gone away, it's now back!

Still no solution then I see! Grrhhhh!

Matthew

1 minute ago, Matthew48 said:

Hi,

So after not seeing this message for a few weeks. I was driving down the motorway and it flashed up for a few seconds only and about 10 times over 70 miles in one hour (See what I did there!) . So having thought the problem had gone away, it's now back!

Still no solution then I see! Grrhhhh!

Matthew

The only solution is a new gear lever assembly. But how reliable the new one will be is an unknown.

Lee

Unfortunately this is a problem that definitely will not just go away. It will only get worse. 

And as has been said, the replacement part quality will be a total crap shoot. You might get a good one. Just as likely not and it will have to be replaced again. 

Mine was replaced a few months ago and I have already seen the error message pop up once again. 

Jason. 

What does the error mean for daily driving?  Does it throw limp mode or some other activity or is it more an error flash that gets in the way of enjoying the car?

2 minutes ago, MarkyG82 said:

What does the error mean for daily driving?  Does it throw limp mode or some other activity or is it more an error flash that gets in the way of enjoying the car?

For me it is just a two second flash every now and again. i have not seen it impact the car in any way. But posters on here are having bigger issues with it

• Thanks 1

For me, it didn’t stop the car being driven. No impact at all. No limp mode. 

The issue for me was that while the error is present, I couldn’t lock the car. 

So can’t leave it parked securely anywhere. 

Jason. 

• Thanks 1

On 09/07/2019 at 11:41, Matthew48 said:

For me it is just a two second flash every now and again. i have not seen it impact the car in any way. But posters on here are having bigger issues with it

Same for me with my 2015 Octavia Scout. I have been getting the message for about a year while driving. Typically 2 or 3 quick flashes within a short interval of time when it happens, but most days I don't see it at all. Doesn't seem to affect the car in any way. Unless it gets more serious I will just live with it, as the car has been out of warranty for some time. I can't identify anything that triggers it. I always leave the car in position P.

9 hours ago, OldBoyScout said:

Same for me with my 2015 Octavia Scout. I have been getting the message for about a year while driving. Typically 2 or 3 quick flashes within a short interval of time when it happens, but most days I don't see it at all. Doesn't seem to affect the car in any way. Unless it gets more serious I will just live with it, as the car has been out of warranty for some time. I can't identify anything that triggers it. I always leave the car in position P.

Same. The problem is though that I am thinking about selling my 2015 skoda now and getting a newer car. I'm not selling because of this message but it might affect the resale value especially if it flashes up in a test drive!

5 minutes ago, Matthew48 said:

Same. The problem is though that I am thinking about selling my 2015 skoda now and getting a newer car. I'm not selling because of this message but it might affect the resale value especially if it flashes up in a test drive!

If someone is aware of this and saw it flash up on a test drive chances are they wouldn't buy it, our offer a greatly reduced price. Try part exchanging at a dealer and act dumb. At least you haven't passed it on to joe public. 

33 minutes ago, benterrier said:

If someone is aware of this and saw it flash up on a test drive chances are they wouldn't buy it, our offer a greatly reduced price. Try part exchanging at a dealer and act dumb. At least you haven't passed it on to joe public. 

Not sure either is morally better than the other!

The dealers screw you every time and they are VAG agents who manufactured this piece expensive DSG time bomb. The dealers have no morals when it comes to trying to get out of things. Suit yourself. 

• Like 2

I am wondering whether it is the same thing going on with all the cars in this thread, i.e. does it just start with the annoying messages and then progress to something worse, e.g. problems with locking the doors, or is it the case that the door locking type problems arise with the first warning message, whilst cars with only the annoying warning messages never develop those other problems. I am intending to read all the postings carefully to see if I can find an answer to this, but obviously that will take a bit of time and someone reading this may be able to easily provide a quick answer.

I am thinking that if it turns out that cars which only display the message never develop the other problems, that would be a way of reassuring any prospective buyer who happened to see the message on the test drive. I have been getting these messages over about 12 months and 10,000 miles, and nothing bad has happened as a result.

Just now, OldBoyScout said:

I am wondering whether it is the same thing going on with all the cars in this thread, i.e. does it just start with the annoying messages and then progress to something worse, e.g. problems with locking the doors, or is it the case that the door locking type problems arise with the first warning message, whilst cars with only the annoying warning messages never develop those other problems. I am intending to read all the postings carefully to see if I can find an answer to this, but obviously that will take a bit of time and someone reading this may be able to easily provide a quick answer.

I am thinking that if it turns out that cars which only display the message never develop the other problems, that would be a way of reassuring any prospective buyer who happened to see the message on the test drive. I have been getting these messages over about 12 months and 10,000 miles, and nothing bad has happened as a result.

I wondered this as most posters seem to have a bigger problem with it than us?

Ultimately, it is a known problem and Skoda should fix it with a replacement gear assembly for free if under warranty, or with a considerable contribution if not under warranty. 

The technicians should all know this.  

My approach two years ago, as stated much earlier in this thread, was to say, “why would I waste my time booking the car in with you so you can scan it if there was no issue or no fault flashing up?  Whether you can find a fault code or not, I will keep coming back until you fix it!”

They got that and fixed it.  Luckily, I haven’t seen the error since.  I do feel for those who have had a second duff gear assembly though!  

I have just checked through the postings in this thread, and the only people with the door locking problem seem to be Jason_M and Teraja. Both have Fabias, and no one has reported the door locking issue on an Octavia. 

Then we have Egyptoledology (Seat Toledo) who says "the error appears in many forms. "Gearbox error", "Error service: leave vehicle only when selector in position p", and "gearbox in emergency mode you can drive on" all appear randomly with the yellow warning.

The most common is the second message appearing for a second at first then reaching the point it will stay until you turn off the car and turn on again a couple of times to clear. 

That said the car drives completely normally no effect on performance whatsoever. That's why a lot of people don't take it seriously. Until there is an actual problem with the gearbox and you disregard it and you get screwed."  This poster is clearly not enamoured with VAG as his gear selector has been changed twice and he is once again getting the dreaded error message. He does not actually say that the error message on his own car has reached the point where it has become more persistent and the car needs to be turned on and off to clear it, nor that he has had an unspecified actual problem with the gearbox.

Dunc69, it appears from the dates on your postings that you lived with this problem for several months before you were able to get it fixed. You said "

This is a recurring error which slowly appears more regularly until you need to change the gearshift assembly." How bad did it get on your car before it was fixed, and over what period of time, if you don't mind me asking? I note that you threatened to keep coming back until they fixed it. I doubt that this approach would work for me, as I don't have any warranty left, and they would want to charge me for each repeat visit.

• Thanks 1