Error service: leave vehicle only when selector in position p

Heh, so my warranty starts tomorrow, luckily the error doesn't show itself very often. I'm worried I won't be able to get the car back if I take it to a garage what with the coronavirus going on.... I think I will hang on. Though, I think my CV joints or something are buggered as it's knocking as I reverse and turn the wheels.... wonderful.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi, don't like to revive an old thread, but a quick Google search brought me here. Have a 2016 Seat Leon 1.2 TSi automatic and am getting the exact error mentioned above B116229 "Selector Lever Park Position Lock Switch, Implausible Signal. 

This has been coming up intermittently since I bought the car used 9 months ago (with 12 months warranty). I've taken it in a few times for the intermittent fault, and they changed a water pump and a few other bits which never solved the problem. 

Should I take them in this thread and tell them this is what I want done? 

IMG_20200427_155301.jpg

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, CallumJ88 said:

Hi, don't like to revive an old thread, but a quick Google search brought me here. Have a 2016 Seat Leon 1.2 TSi automatic and am getting the exact error mentioned above B116229 "Selector Lever Park Position Lock Switch, Implausible Signal. 

This has been coming up intermittently since I bought the car used 9 months ago (with 12 months warranty). I've taken it in a few times for the intermittent fault, and they changed a water pump and a few other bits which never solved the problem. 

Should I take them in this thread and tell them this is what I want done? 

This is still a current thread, just gone a bit quiet recently as many of us are in lock down. I would say it is definitely worth claiming for this while you still have a warranty in force.

39 minutes ago, OldBoyScout said:

This is still a current thread, just gone a bit quiet recently as many of us are in lock down. I would say it is definitely worth claiming for this while you still have a warranty in force.

Great thanks. Couldn't find anything online about it affecting Seat models. But I assume the engine I have will be straight out of some kind of VW. Any clue which Skoda this would be equivelant to? I bought this car from a Skoda garage, so might be easier if I can namedrop a specific model! 

Also on lockdown, but going to send an email to the dealer to prove that this has happened before the 12 months is up! 

Thanks for your help! 

It's not about the engine, it's about the DSG gear selector. If you look back in the thread you will see that it affects various VW Group models including Skoda Octavias and Fabias.

There is a Golf forum on the same issue affecting Golf MK7:

https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/index.php?threads/error-service-vehicle.330339/

Tell the dealer that Skoda have issued a TPI (Technical Product Information) about this.

Latest post on the Golf forum states that there has been a recall for this in the USA last December, but  may be referring to recall for other DSG issues with the DQ200 gearbox?

Edited by OldBoyScout
Added a bit.
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, MoggyTech said:

Quite how a dealer thought changing the water pump would fix a DSG error is quite beyond me. 😂

I can only assume when they plugged it in, there was an error standing against it too 😂😂 I hope anyway... 

• Haha 2

15 minutes ago, CallumJ88 said:

I can only assume when they plugged it in, there was an error standing against it too 😂😂 I hope anyway... 

Or...................................Because...............................................Dealer. 😀

• Haha 1

Anyone have the relevant details about what is entailed in the TPI? I am curious because my car has just been cleared for a new gear selector assembly at my local dealer, 2016 2.0 Tdi

• 2 weeks later...

Problem solved only £40, I bought the switch from a friend "mechanic" and it tog me a half hour to mount on top of the DSG gear shift very easy so the only thing you need is 5Q0-713-128-A, some tools and how to put it in.

RCRIT-19V615-0044.pdf

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Atenza said:

Problem solved only £40, I bought the switch from a friend "mechanic" and it tog me a half hour to mount on top of the DSG gear shift very easy so the only thing you need is 5Q0-713-128-A, some tools and how to put it in.

RCRIT-19V615-0044.pdf 2.82 MB · 8 downloads

Brilliant, thanks. I've had mine done under warranty anyway, but the article talks about VW in the US and Canada compensating customers who have already paid to fix it. I wonder if Skoda in Europe will follow suit!

I tried Skoda DK but they where just arrogant, as usually. I don't thing that any car user organisation will stand up against VW her in EU they will miss all the advertisement money they get. But it's funny to see that in USA VW has to call back all cars affected since 2010 and do it for free and in EU we pay highly to get it repaired so actually we pay for the job in USA, that's quite smart of VW.

• Sad 1

Consumers certainly seem to get looked after better - probably because our cousins on the other side of the pond are more likely to lawyer up.

• 5 weeks later...

Phew !

Have had the intermittent 'Park warning' fault for a while now but it's started to get worse of late, car's done 80k miles. So just been in to my local dealer North Wales Skoda (service lads there are always good to be fair) and was bracing myself for the worst, an expensive parking selector mechanism fix. But got a call to say they can replace the microswitch, so just the switch cost and some labour !

Thanks to this forum for keeping us in the loop with faults/fixes and a decent Skoda dealer !

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Fabia 3. I still have the P for park issue, the car has the latest switch fitted. Happened again last week when car was unlocked after being parked overnight, and the passenger door opened. No key in ignition, closed door, fault went away on maxidot but stayed on infotainment system. Same thing occurred when I opened driver's door, Fault cleared from infotainment system after a few metres driving. I also have the LIM! issue and have posted on this. My dealer has several instances of this issue on Fabias and they are all DSGs. Could the two be connected?

Just to give a quick update on my situation, the garage opened on the LAST day of my 12 month used car warranty. I phoned 6 times and nobody returned my calls. So I drove in at 3 o'clock and managed to get them to raise a repair under warranty. They also found an issue with the boot door sensor too, so bonus for me 👍🏻👍🏻

Glad that you've managed to to get it booked in under warranty and hope they fix the problem. The complete gear selector was replaced on my car, but when the error reappeared, the dealer ordered the 'new type' switch from Skoda, (which does not require the complete gear selector to be replaced), but found that the the new gear selector they fitted previously already had the new type of switch on it. I am still intermittently getting the issue, so I can only assume that the 'new type' switch hasn't fixed the problem (on my car anyway).  It seems to happen when one of the front doors is opened. It's never appeared whilst driving.  As an aside, If you have a speed limiter CallumJ88, it might be worth testing it before you take the car in. Switch it on, you don't need to set it, and introduce stop/start events. Error LIM! appears regularly on my car. The only way to clear it is to recycle the ignition. I'm told that Skoda are aware of the issue and are working on it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Since Lockdown my Octavia seems to be getting this error far more often.  Normally occurs in first 10 mins of every jourmney, and then go away.  So I have learnt to ignore it! 

Later this week the car has an MOT & Service so will be interesting to see see what the garage say.  The error is occuring far more often than it used to, so I suspect it will come up whilst they are servicing it.  At least I now know there is a recall in the US, even if not in Europe.  Plus it sounds like it can be fixed with a microswitch replacement. Will be interesting to see if the Skoda dealer offer this as a solution. 

Personnaly I feel this should be the subject of a recall.

On 25/06/2020 at 09:49, FZS1 said:

My dealer has several instances of this issue on Fabias and they are all DSGs. Could the two be connected?

Clearly the position P warning only applies to cars with DSG. Several models have been reported on here to have this error apart from Fabias, but looking at the postings on here I get the impression that it is mainly Fabias that have related issues with door locking. In my Octavia I occasionally have the error message flash up while I am driving, but that is as far as it goes.

17 hours ago, OldBoyScout said:

Clearly the position P warning only applies to cars with DSG. Several models have been reported on here to have this error apart from Fabias, but looking at the postings on here I get the impression that it is mainly Fabias that have related issues with door locking. In my Octavia I occasionally have the error message flash up while I am driving, but that is as far as it goes.

Yes the problem is with DSG gearboxs.  On a manual gearbox there is no P (or Park) setting. 

Before the COVID lockdown  I would just get the ocasional error messge like you, but now it's everytime I drive for first 10 minutes.  Then it stops!  Will have to say what the dealer says, but I'm reluctant to spend any money on this given age of car (6 years)

Edited by MrkSkoda

4 minutes ago, MrkSkoda said:

Yes the problem is with DSG gearboxs.  On a manual gearbox there is no P (or Park) setting.

To be accurate the problem isn't in the gearbox, it's in the switch mechanism inside the cabin where the gear selector lever is.

Edited by PetrolDave
  • Like 1