S3 owners - electric tailgate / hatch closing from inside

Would you pay for the rear hatch / tailgate to close from the button inside the car?  

115 members have voted

1. 1. Would you pay for the rear hatch / tailgate to close from the button inside the car?

• Yes, I live in Kent and would be happy to travel to Folkestone and pay for this to be enabled
    • I don’t live in Kent but would still be happy to travel to Folkestone and pay for this to be enabled
    • No, I live in Kent but this doesn’t interest me
  2. 2. How much would you be prepared to pay for this?

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎02‎/‎08‎/‎2017 at 18:37, Gizmo said:

Looking at the scans of the 10x S3’s I have coded I have come up with the following:

65 Plate G controller

April 2016 (16 Plate) G controller

May 2016 (16 Plate) J controller

October 2016 (66 Plate) J controller

January 2017 (66 Plate) L controller

So we also now have another controller! ‘L’ to contend with as well, VCP has nothing at all (even for a different model) for the L controller

@Dominoe as you can see a very early 16 plate was a G controller, but in May (if not before) this changed to J

The only way to tell is to scan the car.

Hi Gismo

don't forget mine 

Nov 15 (65 Plate) J Controller

• 1 month later...

Just been trying a few permutations on trying to close the tailgate using the Kessy remote.

• Opening and closing the hatch using the remote from the outside while stood near to (at the rear offside flank) or behind the tailgate works 100% (as I expected and mentioned somewhere in the manual I think) - but switch off the ignition first as walking away with the remote causes the car to have a fit (Key not detected alarm ALARM).
  • Opening the hatch using the remote from inside sometimes works (about 50%)
  • Closing the hatch using the remote while the engine is running or ignition on from inside does not work
  • Switch off the ignition and hold the remote in the rear passenger area of the car sometimes works (about 10%)
  • Get out of the car and try to close from the drivers door area does not work - walk a couple of steps to the rear and that it does.

So I'm definitely gaffer taping a coin over the boot release button near the gear shift LOL.

Hopefully Skoda/VAG can be persuaded that the thing is a stupid idea and make the button inside the car close as well as open the tailgate by default. Maybe that's why the umbrellas are in the doors as inadvertent opening of the boot always happens when it is raining.

• Thanks 1

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 24/11/2017 at 12:33, TerryMcK said:

Just been trying a few permutations on trying to close the tailgate using the Kessy remote.

• Opening and closing the hatch using the remote from the outside while stood near to (at the rear offside flank) or behind the tailgate works 100% (as I expected and mentioned somewhere in the manual I think) - but switch off the ignition first as walking away with the remote causes the car to have a fit (Key not detected alarm ALARM).
  • Opening the hatch using the remote from inside sometimes works (about 50%)
  • Closing the hatch using the remote while the engine is running or ignition on from inside does not work
  • Switch off the ignition and hold the remote in the rear passenger area of the car sometimes works (about 10%)
  • Get out of the car and try to close from the drivers door area does not work - walk a couple of steps to the rear and that it does.

So I'm definitely gaffer taping a coin over the boot release button near the gear shift LOL.

Hopefully Skoda/VAG can be persuaded that the thing is a stupid idea and make the button inside the car close as well as open the tailgate by default. Maybe that's why the umbrellas are in the doors as inadvertent opening of the boot always happens when it is raining.

When using the remote and the ignition is off, you can do a "dubble" tap on the remote and on the second tap you just hold it pressed down. Then you will be able to close the hatch from longer distance :) 

• Thanks 4

3 hours ago, Howardv said:

When using the remote and the ignition is off, you can do a "dubble" tap on the remote and on the second tap you just hold it pressed down. Then you will be able to close the hatch from longer distance :) 

Confirmed it does indeed work and very well.

No holding the key in the rear of the car or out of the window.

While sat in the drivers seat with the ignition OFF double pressing the "hatch open/close" button on the key and holding it on the second press closes the hatch. Problem solved or at least a workaround.

Thanks Howard

• 1 month later...

Can you prevent the in car boot button from opening the boot with vcds? I don’t mind it closing the boot, but would rather an accidental press didn’t open it (e.g stuck in traffic etc)

It’s not a request I have had before but it is certainly theoretically possible, you may lose the use of the button completely though. 

6 hours ago, thebigred said:

Can you prevent the in car boot button from opening the boot with vcds? I don’t mind it closing the boot, but would rather an accidental press didn’t open it (e.g stuck in traffic etc)

cut the red wire.

......or was it the blue wire?!?!

• Haha 2

• 4 weeks later...

Can the tailgate be opened whilst moving? .....might seem a daft question but I've not picked mine up yet! I've been thinking about this, whilst I know everything runs off canbus on these cars, a switch is a switch, open / closed contacts, if the tailgate closing cannot be activated by VCDS or VCP can it not be done by connecting a second switch to the tailgate switch and running a pair of wires back to a second switch for closing the tailgate and mounting this somewhere in the cabin? so you would have a switch for opening and one for closing, would make the system safer as well as it would be difficult to accidentally press a second switch, especially if it's mounted say on the other side of the seat to the existing switch, maybe on the seat control panel. This would effectively fool the canbus into thinking the tailgate switch had been pressed. It could be done with an OEM seat switch for a neat install.

Edited by The Skud
  • Thanks 1

In my experience the answer is "No" - but check this for yourself. I tried pressing the button on the console while moving at slow speeds the other day (5ish MPH) and it just beeped at me, but didn't open.

I actually got around my particular fear of it being opened while moving / in traffic a different way - the dog is now secured in the back to a clip on one of the luggage holders, which means even if it did open by accident he can't just jump out.

On 05/04/2018 at 08:09, The Skud said:

Can the tailgate be opened whilst moving? .....might seem a daft question but I've not picked mine up yet! I've been thinking about this, whilst I know everything runs off canbus on these cars, a switch is a switch, open / closed contacts, if the tailgate closing cannot be activated by VCDS or VCP can it not be done by connecting a second switch to the tailgate switch and running a pair of wires back to a second switch for closing the tailgate and mounting this somewhere in the cabin? so you would have a switch for opening and one for closing, would make the system safer as well as it would be difficult to accidentally press a second switch, especially if it's mounted say on the other side of the seat to the existing switch, maybe on the seat control panel. This would effectively fool the canbus into thinking the tailgate switch had been pressed. It could be done with an OEM seat switch for a neat install.

Yes it can, I tried this as an experiment when i first got my car but I was only doing about walking pace. I was surprised when it worked. I am not sure if it would have worked at any higher speed. If will try a bit faster when I remember.

• 1 month later...

I have accidentally opened mine driving down upper thames street in London, the proximity warning was triggered by the central crash barrier and in turning it off opened the tailgate, was doing 25 at the time, gave me and the driver behind me a nasty suprise, and no where to stop and close it again. It goes up quite high and I was concerned as I was under a bridge at the time!! It is potentially quite dangerous.

• 3 months later...

Hi,

Would love the boot closure from inside enabled, cant see why it's not already on as VW's have it.

Anybody near Bedfordshire able to set this up for me, willing to travel and pay.

Regards

Tony

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...
On 03/02/2019 at 00:02, rrozbroj said:

Hello All,

Is already some solution for S3 electric tailgate closing with remote key and with inside button ? adaption or coding via VCDS or VCP ?

By default - u can close the boot by pressing and holding the boot button on ur key.

It won't work from inside the car when the ignition is on, and u gotta b within 3m to the car.

• 4 weeks later...

Having come from the Ford Mondeo camp. My Mondeo allowed opening and closing from inside the car. The button was near my right knee so little chance of pushing it by mistake.

The positioning of the button on the superb is just silly.  If it has to be next to the gears at least they should have put it top left or top right in the unused blanks where it is unlikely to be pushed accidentally and of course as we all say enable the close function.

In the meantime If the close function cannot be activated I would be happy to have the button disabled. 

• Like 1