Speed camera POIs in Columbus (a new guide)

• 2 weeks later...

Best and safest option folks, don't speed.

I hate that my Superb does not have a speed limiter. Active Speed Control is nice but a speed limiter is what keeps you out of trouble, FFS Skoda incorporate this as standard just like Volvo have done for years.

9 minutes ago, Bud said:

Not sure what model and year you have but I do have Speed limiter function

2016. Does your model have active control and a pedal block to stop you exceeding a limit? For example 20mph then 30mph when crossing a junction that you can only over-ride with a full pedal depression. Two clicks up to 40 then two back down to 30. London 20mph limits are a pain on roads capable of taking four lanes of traffic.

On 24/09/2018 at 18:01, Hozz said:

If you are using Windows go to Ashhere's post dated 15 June and follow the instructions there.

If you are using a Mac 

1. Download the chosen files for your location from Pocket GPS World in ”Other - GPX” format. 

2. Unzip these files to a location on your computer. 

3. Go to the directory in which you unzipped the files and delete any existing .bmp files.  Copy the .bmp files that I provided in my post dated 10 June to that same directory. 

4.  Go to Skoda My Destinations site here:

http://mydestination.skoda-auto.com/POIs and click "List of My Destinations"

3. Run the “Import a new collection of POIs” tool.  Click on “Choose” and the navigate to the directory to which you extracted the files from Pocket GPS World. Choose the first .gpx file. Give the collection an appropriate name (eg Gatso) and then choose the matching .bmp image for selected  gpx file. Select “Process” 

You should see some numbers in “List of my destinations” box if process has been successful. 

4. Repeat process in Point 3. above for any additional for each .gpx file that you have in that directory.  (As you process each pair of gpx and bmp files you should see you numbers in “List of my destinations” increase.  When you are complete you should see similar to below.

5. Select “Save my list of PPOI.  Choose a name for your consolidated list when prompted.  (This name will be the prefix on the zip file that this process creates). Select “Save”

6. Unzip the file.

7. Download the latest version of Python for Mac which you can get here https://www.python.org/downloads/

8. I chose to create a file in my documents called Python and put Flumpie's poifix.py file in there but you can put it anywhere you like.

9. I then created another file in my documents called POIchange and put the metainfo.txt file and Personal POI from Skoda in there. 

10. Go to Launchpad and open a Terminal window

11. In the Terminal Window type python3 /users/my name/documents/python/poifix.py /users/my name/documents/poichange/personalPOI/MIB2/MIBHIGH (my name is the root name of your documents folder) Note the space before users.

In simple terms if you don't want to use my file structure do the following

python3 /path/to/poifix.py /path/to/PersonalPOI/MIB2/MIB2HIGH

12.The program will run, the files will be corrected and you can then copy the metainfo.txt and PersonalPOI files to an SD card and insert it in your Columbus.

I also have CleanMyDrive2 installed on my Mac and generally use this to clear any junk files from the SD card after I have copied across the files.

I am not sure whether this is strictly necessary.

I did put these instructions on here on 27 June but I have just realised that I made an error by calling a file POIfix instead of POIchange.

Many apologies to those who may have followed my previous instructions and failed.

Your method also worked on my Linux laptop.  I downloaded the Pocket GPS World cameras and replaced the 22x22 pixel BMP images with 39x39 versions.  I then used http://mydestination.skoda-auto.com/POIs site to get the cams database in VW/Skoda format. Finally, I was able to use the same Python poifix.py script in a terminal to fix the download. It went on the Columbus without issue.  Thanks!

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

1. Download the chosen files for your location from Pocket GPS World in 'Other - GPX' format. 

3. Go to the directory in which you unzipped the files and delete any existing .bmp files.  Copy the .bmp files that Hozz has provided in this thread (above) to that same directory. 

4. Go to Skoda My Destinations site here:

http://mydestination.skoda-auto.com/POIs

3. Run the 'Import a new collection of POIs' tool.  Click on 'Choose' and the navigate to the directory to which you extracted the files from Pocket GPS World. Choose the first .gpx file. Select the 'Sound' option. Give the collection an appropriate name (eg Gatso) and then choose the matching .bmp image for selected  gpx file. Select 'Process' 

You should see some numbers in 'List of my destinations' box if process has been successful. 

4. Repeat process in Point 3. above for any additional for each .gpx file that you have in that directory.  (As you process each pair of gpx and bmp files you should see you numbers in 'List of my destinations' increase.  When you are complete you should see similar to below.

5. Select 'Save my list of PPOI'.  Choose a name for your consolidated list when prompted.  (This name will be the prefix on the zip file that this process creates). Select 'Save'

6. Unzip the files created in step 5.  Copy them to an SD card e: (keeping the same file structure).

7. Download the poifix.py file created by Flumpie (above). Copy to e:\ folder.

8. Run a command prompt on your computer.  

9. Navigate to the e:\ folder

10. poifix.py e:\PersonalPOI\MIB2\MIB2high

11. On the satnav navigate to settings cog / advanced settings / version / update / update from SD card

12. Should find Personal POI with a date. Select it and 0 - 100% should go through with a complete message.

13. Back to sat nav settings cog / map / show POI's / Select categories for POI's
    Select the ones you desire.

14. May have to cycle the engine to get the POI's to show up.

This worked for me.

Ross

7 hours ago, rplews said:

1. Download the chosen files for your location from Pocket GPS World in 'Other - GPX' format. 

3. Go to the directory in which you unzipped the files and delete any existing .bmp files.  Copy the .bmp files that Hozz has provided in this thread (above) to that same directory. 

4. Go to Skoda My Destinations site here:

http://mydestination.skoda-auto.com/POIs

3. Run the 'Import a new collection of POIs' tool.  Click on 'Choose' and the navigate to the directory to which you extracted the files from Pocket GPS World. Choose the first .gpx file. Select the 'Sound' option. Give the collection an appropriate name (eg Gatso) and then choose the matching .bmp image for selected  gpx file. Select 'Process' 

You should see some numbers in 'List of my destinations' box if process has been successful. 

4. Repeat process in Point 3. above for any additional for each .gpx file that you have in that directory.  (As you process each pair of gpx and bmp files you should see you numbers in 'List of my destinations' increase.  When you are complete you should see similar to below.

5. Select 'Save my list of PPOI'.  Choose a name for your consolidated list when prompted.  (This name will be the prefix on the zip file that this process creates). Select 'Save'

6. Unzip the files created in step 5.  Copy them to an SD card e: (keeping the same file structure).

7. Download the poifix.py file created by Flumpie (above). Copy to e:\ folder.

8. Run a command prompt on your computer.  

9. Navigate to the e:\ folder

10. poifix.py e:\PersonalPOI\MIB2\MIB2high

11. On the satnav navigate to settings cog / advanced settings / version / update / update from SD card

12. Should find Personal POI with a date. Select it and 0 - 100% should go through with a complete message.

13. Back to sat nav settings cog / map / show POI's / Select categories for POI's
    Select the ones you desire.

14. May have to cycle the engine to get the POI's to show up.

This worked for me.

Ross

Is there anyway to get this working on the older Columbus headunits, I have an older 2013 Octavia VRS.

3 minutes ago, rplews said:

I'm afraid I don't know. My 2018 Superb is my first Skoda. Did you try the above method? It may work.

Ross

Yes I did, it just errors and reboots the head unit :(

• 4 weeks later...

Maybe this has been said, but an easy way to still get notifications is to use waze, i normally listen to music on spotify on my phone via bluetooth, so what i do is just start waze on the phone also and leave it and it will notify me if im speeding and nearing a speed camera. Not elegant at all but works.

• Like 1

On ‎14‎/‎02‎/‎2019 at 10:00, dhill said:

Yes I did, it just errors and reboots the head unit :(

Assuming your Octavia has the old style Columbus (VW RNS510) rather than the new Style  (VW Discover Pro) then this will never work as the update file format is totally different.  Since the demise of the VW POI collection websites the only way I've found to generate the update for my old style Columbus is to use the POIInspectOr software.  It's a little quirky until you get used to it but reliably produces working updates for all generations of Columbus and Amundsen (and VW + Seat equivalents).  Well worth the small investment.

Once you have a GPX database, download POInspect0r.

Donate 9 euros and you`ll get fully functional version.

Follow these steps:

https://forums.seatcupra.net/index.php?threads/uploading-speed-camera-pois-tail-of-woe-vw-pulled-the-update-site-again.444799/#post-4780168

Transfer database to SD card / USB stick and then to headunit.

• 8 months later...
On 17/07/2018 at 10:29, flumpie said:
  • For MIB1 (from what I can gather from googling):
    • Does not support an audible warning when approaching a POI
    • Uses a single sqlite (db3) file for updating POIs
    • VW no longer provides an online mechanism for updating the POIs
    • POInspector is the only utility currently available to generate a new database. There are no free utilities.
    • The format is significantly different to MIB2, but I could extend my script to support this, if there is sufficient interest (and someone willing to test a few iterations)
  • For MIB2:
    • The Skoda Destinations website builds the POI database incorrectly, so it cannot be loaded onto the SatNav. You can use https://github.com/jimmyH/mypois/blob/master/poifix.py to fix this problem.
    • POInspector and POIbase utilities can also be used to build the POI database
    • Alternatively I have a script which creates the POI database itself:
      • This is available on github: https://github.com/jimmyH/mypois
      • For windows there is a prebuilt executable https://github.com/jimmyH/mypois/releases
      • To use, simply create a configuration file (see attached example) in the same directory as your POIs, and then run mypois.exe config.ini, then copy the generated files to your sd card.
      • Currently only supports csv POIs, I can add support for more formats if there is sufficient interest.

Where possible, please use the github website for any issues, or any feature requests.

config.ini

Hello, I followed the steps for MIB2, executed the command but get the attached error. The output directory fibble is created though with PersonalPOI, metainfo2. The PersonalPOI folder also contains MIB2,MIB2TSD . Is this good enough? Is there a need to execute the python code again?error.jpg.22c7097ac6a75302550cd13bb91ff42e.jpg

I have been reading this thread, intending to upload a shed load of my destinations into my Columbus and note the big red warning on page one.

I have stumbnled upon this link

https://mydestination.skoda-auto.com/POIs/ImportCollection

which appears to be live:-

image.png.47bda7aebaa6298f2d95902d5fae66b4.png

Has anyone tried to use it? and if so with what results?

Most of my destinations are on my HP iPaq Travel Compaion, and iGo8, with a few on my phone under Co-Pilot

Edited by cmp1951

• 3 weeks later...
8 hours ago, Fairgame said:

HI CMP1951

Just tried the link but says no longer supported. It could be me though.................

No, not you. Tried minutes ago with small file and it fails with the same message as the other link.

Same here. Tried to update the cams database via my pocketgpsworld subscription but the page says the application is no longer supported.

image.thumb.png.f4e2ea9376c73193f4ed2285da74e142.png

So how do we convert the .GPX files from pocketgpsworld to the appopriate format?

• 2 months later...
On 13/01/2020 at 15:17, newbie69 said:

Same here. Tried to update the cams database via my pocketgpsworld subscription but the page says the application is no longer supported.

image.thumb.png.f4e2ea9376c73193f4ed2285da74e142.png

So how do we convert the .GPX files from pocketgpsworld to the appopriate format?

Yep looks like Skoda took down that Web Site. The VW one I used to use had also been shut off.

I have managed to be successful however to get a Pocketgpsworld speed camera database (GPX file) on my Sat Nav using another tool I found on the web.

The attached doc has all the instructions (and gives thanks to previous posters here for their inputs that I used too)

I will say it did cost be 4.95 Euros because the POI limit for a category is 5000 and the UK Camera database is ~7.5K but I think thats a fair price for something that could save you a lot more.

Hope the guide helps

README_Install.pdf

• Like 1

@ThreeSixty 

Only just seen your post:

Hello, I followed the steps for MIB2, executed the command but get the attached error. The output directory fibble is created though with PersonalPOI, metainfo2. The PersonalPOI folder also contains MIB2,MIB2TSD . Is this good enough? Is there a need to execute the python code again?

It's a bit late, I know, but anyway I was having the same problem and fixed the issue using this method:

A much simpler solution is to open the csv file in notepad and select "Save As" in "File" dropdown list. Choose "Save as type" to "All files(.)". Select "UTF-8 Encoding" in Encoding dropdown list and put ".csv" extension to the file name

In other words, restart the process all over again but firstly open your converted .csv files in notepad and re-save them in notepad using UTF-8 Encoding. Hope this helps.

If anyone is interested I have my own thread in the Octavia section where I upload my own customized Speed Camera files which I update every month or so depending when I can obtain a free reliable database. The thread title states that they're for the Amundsen MIB2 but they should work for the Columbus MIB2 as well. Please feel free to try them. Please note that as I'm unable to edit the first post in the thread then my latest version will be towards the end of the thread. I use forum member flumpie's tool to compile them so well deserved credit to him.

https://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/445299-installing-speed-cameras-on-the-amundsen-mib2-free-database-and-quite-simple-to-do/

• Thanks 2

Hi All,

I tried the process this weekend on my kodiaq RS which has a Colombus system. I followed the video - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ZHZL3U7uUk . Although the video is for a GOLF, the steps and menu items are identical. I downloaded the database from https://free-speed-cam-updates.web2diz.net/download/ and used the option  Speed Camera for Volkswagen (compiled) 3.33M – update 03/2020 05:01 . Thanks bigade1 for the database. Makes me more confident to driving my RS now :) . How can I added a missing trap location?

Unzip the downloaded file, and copy the PersonalPOI and metainfo2 files to an SD card and follow the video. Navigation Settings -> Update ->Update from SD Card.  I did not have to select categories of POIs for display, as the the file updates Colombus to show them by default . The settings for the "beep" were also setup by the update. 

On the road, you hear a beep abt 100m before a trap if at speeds less than 60kmph. At motorway speeds, its at about 200m . Quite useful, however, on my previous Nissan, it would also show the distance to the trap. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks to both @bigade1 and @ThreeSixty for the database and the very simplified instructions clear even to me, a technophobe of a certain age.

I installed the database and tested it with a speed cam located near our local Mr T's when out of isolation for the weekly shop.  The ping was very faint and the icon wasn't showing up (my fault, reason later).

So I did a web search and came up with https://www.scdb.info/en/ .  It gives specific instructions for various Skoda (and many other makes) units including my 2019 Columbus.  I tried the test file and it worked so went for the paid download and installed it.  It's 9.95€ annual subscription but that includes monthly updates throughout the year, reasonable price given I was (I think) paying more for speed cams with the TomTom I used in my previous Volvo.

After I'd installed it I realised that the reason the free database didn't show symbols was I hadn't activated it in the menu that allows you to display up to 10 POIs - dooh 🙄

I haven't been able to test the audible warning it gives for cams yet due to lockdown but should be able to next week but it does show all the local fixed, mobile and red light cams in my area.

I had been using Waze via Android Auto (as having read this thread I thought it impossible to get speed cams incorporated in the Skoda one) and it gives so much real time traffic info but the maps are so Heath Robinson compared to the built in system.  However, I don't know how good the traffic info is with the Skoda system and, I suppose, it might be quite a while yet before I find out!

Thanks again guys for your help.

P.S. How do you get the the green @username tags to work?

Edited by IanW5177
Add P.S.