What annoyed you today?

Aspman

@OldTrilobite I'm not sure that's quite the defence you think it is.

Your original post boiled down to 'there's too many forrins in the adverts' and your reply, whilst well thought out and nicely written, contained the usual 'I had a Pakistani/ Indian/ African friend once'. You even admitted maybe you do have 'racist tendancies'.

It's late here and I'm catching up on the news but I might respond in more detail tomorrow. 

• Like 1

"This part here is loose - you probably don't notice day-to-day, but I can see when I push it. It'll need to come out and a new one fitted better" 
"And up here at the back, where you can't see, there's deterioration around an old repair that we'll need to patch up before it gets any worse" 

"you can have cheaper parts that people might notice, or a less noticeable replacement with a premium product and an associated increase in cost" 
"I'll send you a quote and you can arrange a time for fixing" 

No, this was not a dodgy mechanic, looking to get some car repair business from me. It was a check up at the dentist today.

• Haha 3
  • Cheeky 1

reading this -

https://www.rte.ie/news/business/2022/0717/1310691-irish-water-paid-10-1m-in-performance-pay-over-2-years/

has rightly ****ed me off over my breakfast...

I deal with them in both work and personal capacities..

work - they are terrible to deal with. slow and make you sign NDAs before they will send you details of water main locations even when they are on OUR property.. and wont send them as a pdf?? then you get a drawing that shows a pipe that may be inside a work area and you ask to meet someone on site about its location or size - oh we cant verify anything like that, you need to contact the local authority water dept. so... the water infrastructure company just farms all the work back to the people it was taken from???

personal - pre IW, the water supply we are connected to pretty much never had an issue, as it had a full time on call care taker crew - 24/7 any issue would be dealt with quickly. since IW came along, and in the 4 yrs we've been in the new house and on this supply, we have had our water interrupted several dozen times and it takes hours or days to be returned including last week where it went, and there was no fault report on their system.. until an hour after swmbo rang to ask them. the fault went up as a burst pipe, with noon the following day as comoletion estimate, but... mysteriously it came back on for a while overnight - thepipes started hammering when the tank was refilling and woke me up, but it was gone again the following morning..

it has often been discoloured, and any contact with them is near impossible to get anyone to answer why.

i even rang one day to confirm the name they had on our suppy, as another one that serves near us had a boil water notice issued on it but included our area on the affected area, even though we arent on the supply. they wouldnt even confirm the name or geographic location of the supply affected so i would know if we were actually affected or not.

"is it the supply located on the xxxx road?" 

"so its affecting the following areas and its on our website"

"yes but the name of the supply given is not the one we are on based on what its called localy, so i want to check if its same supply with a different name on your system"

"if your area is on the list then its affected"

it wasn't affected...

performance bonuses - clearly paid to those who are in charge making the service as ****e as possible.

also, im not "anti-IW". i was pro water meter installation and having to pay a nominal rate for water if it meant our infrastructure got the investment it needed, but enough people fought back that it got scrapped after millions were spent installing them all and the same people complain about having crap water services. but, given they lost a massive intended revenue stream, and are struggling to fulfill their PSA as a result (ive been told the delays on repairing faults is because IW wont pay the O/T and Out of Hrs charges to the councils to send out crews....) i really dont see how can justify paying out that amount of money in performance bonuses.

rant over

• Like 3

2 hours ago, mac11irl said:

reading this -

https://www.rte.ie/news/business/2022/0717/1310691-irish-water-paid-10-1m-in-performance-pay-over-2-years/

has rightly ****ed me off over my breakfast...

I deal with them in both work and personal capacities..

work - they are terrible to deal with. slow and make you sign NDAs before they will send you details of water main locations even when they are on OUR property.. and wont send them as a pdf?? then you get a drawing that shows a pipe that may be inside a work area and you ask to meet someone on site about its location or size - oh we cant verify anything like that, you need to contact the local authority water dept. so... the water infrastructure company just farms all the work back to the people it was taken from???

If it's any consolation most are the same over here as well...   tell you there is a main 'somewhere' in the vicinity but that's about it as they have no detailed knowledge, even when they've only just installed it!

The householder team are better but the info is still hit and miss (I had to tell them where the mains supply and sewers were on the property next door to my mums that were being extended over as they serve both properties and we were wary of them digging them up / wrecking stuff.  At least they made the builder relay everything before he started the extension!

Ordered a ceiling fan from B&Q it was delivered 10 mins ago and it's clearly a returned item as it had another sold sticker on the box and that was taped up, opened it and a few screws & washers fell out further unpacking the main mounting bracket was covered in plaster dust and the main mounting screws were missing, phoned them and it's going to be 4 days before they can get a replacement to me 

• Sad 4

After being let go from work, finish up Friday.

Not as dramatic as it sounds, there is just no work for me to do. 

Way I see it, it's given me time to work on the cars and get stuff in order for college so far from the end of the world.

Was 4 in total let go today so not like I was singled out.

• Sad 6

thats pretty ****, but... 

everyone keeps goin on about being desperate for staff, so hopefully you wont be waiting long before something better pops up

I have to say, as someone who is also on the hunt for a new job there are loads about…. It’s certainly an employee market at the minute, IMO.

Hopefully, it’s the same in your neck of the woods. 

• Like 3

my wife just rang the swimming pool spud sr had been doing his one on one swimming lessons at pre covid to check in on something else, and asked for an update on the waiting list for getting him back to lessons. 

she was told about 3 weeks ago he was 5th/6th on the wait list. suddenly today she was told itl be a year!!! whoever said he was 5/6 was totally wrong. and thats as a returnee... if he hadnt been previously the wait list is currently about 3 years!!!! what the absolute feck??!? 

• Sad 4

and today....

just now nearly being smashed into on the mini roundabout at our estate entrance by an utter bell end **** womble in a jeep who ACCELERATED  into the roundabout across my bonnet which

a) i was already on and indicating right for my line of travel around to enter our estate

b) had the right of way on anyway!

the reflexes that saved me 2 weeks ago at work just saved my car and the couple with a buggy on the footpath alongside the roundabout. 

utter ****ing gob****e 😡😡😡😡😡

• Sad 2

I had someone wait until I was uncomfortably close to pull out on me.

As if that's not bad enough, you'd think they'd try and boot it up to speed but nope, crawling along 25mph.

Road was clear so I ended up overtaking them even though you're not meant to. 

There wasn't any cars behind me and no cars oncoming, your one was just trying to be a ****.

• Groan 1

On 18/07/2022 at 17:30, nige8021 said:

Ordered a ceiling fan from B&Q it was delivered 10 mins ago and it's clearly a returned item as it had another sold sticker on the box and that was taped up, opened it and a few screws & washers fell out further unpacking the main mounting bracket was covered in plaster dust and the main mounting screws were missing, phoned them and it's going to be 4 days before they can get a replacement to me 

I absolutely abhor B&Q - even though one of their stores is less than 1/2 mile away, I refuse to give them any of my business due to their complete lack of customer care.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Warrior193 said:

I absolutely abhor B&Q - even though one of their stores is less than 1/2 mile away, I refuse to give them any of my business due to their complete lack of customer care.

I had a phone call from them, yesterday to say they were on the way to collect the faulty item @ 07:05 !!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Just popped outside to hang my towel on the washing line after a nice cool shower.............

What a waste of time as I need another frickin shower now it's such a sun trap out there, Lol

On 12/08/2022 at 17:03, Tilt said:

Just popped outside to hang my towel on the washing line after a nice cool shower.............

What a waste of time as I need another frickin shower now it's such a sun trap out there, Lol

i had a shower when i managed to be able to stand up this morning..

made the mistake of bending over to pick up jocks and socks from the bag... got the spins and sweats again and had to go back for another wash off 🙄

Had a cyclist today riding at about 5mph down the centre of the lane (inconvenient, but nothing wrong so far), who was riding with headphones in, head staring directly down at his phone and weaving all over the place :x seen people pay more attention to their surroundings sitting on a tube train!

Couldn't get the LCD display off my e-bike.  Yep, I've snapped the retaining clip:

IMG_5390.thumb.jpeg.dd19e6e1c54bc4b4482d1fd32cae13b6.jpeg

I suppose it was always going to break at some point 🙄

Gaz

• Sad 2

On 17/08/2022 at 19:47, AnnoyingPentium said:

Mild blow in the exhaust... well that's fun.

Admittedly, the noise is a little amusing, but ffs I'll have to get it fixed now.

Still burbling away. Booked in for a repair tomorrow. We don't have a thread about what makes us nervous but this is definitely something that's got me a bit nervous as I have no idea what the hell has disintegrated under there. Fun. :worried:

Insurance Companies 🤬🤬🤬 (it's that time of year again.)

Current company has gone up £30 = 10%, so far I've got quotes for less to nearly double!!! And a refusal to quote (Mrs Cakemonster has 3 claims). And the complete crash of the AA site halfway through a quote...

Edited by Cakemonster
  • Sad 1

Listening to a news feed about the port workers being on strike and the news reader asking the interviewee (important port man, Lol, sorry, cannot remember his name) how it would impact deliveries / supplies.

He said that it would not impact supplies very much at all as most of their customers work on a twelve day (iirc) stock turn-around so the five day strike could easily be worked around. (words to that effect).

My annoyance ............ on the next lot of news that I heard, the reporter saying that supplies could be seriously interrupted due to the said strike..

Just folk making mountains out of molehills, incorrect information, that kind of stuff pi**es me off........

• Like 1

Also, the dock / union worker trying to skirt around the subject when questioned how much their average salary was,

The other chap (important port man, Lol) said it was over 40 grand but the dock / union worker denied this saying that it was not that much.

So the newsreader asked him how much.................

Its a good bit less than that he said..........

How much, repeater the news reader (BBC1 iirc) 

It's 30 something, he said......... I think he's been learning from the politicians, Lol.

However, also hearing that the CEO's / Heads of the top 100 companies in the UK earn around 3.4 million pa each on average.

65 grand a week ....................... how do they manage, ffs. 

Trying to sell my car annoyed me.
Put it into an auction this weekend, its a Capri with a 24v cosworth conversion, restored and engine rebuilt 3 years ago. Independant valuation is over £15k, insurance happy to insure for £22k. Goes in with a guide price of 12-15k. Same day a bog-standard Citroen Saxo VTS goes for £17.5k! My car? One single bid for £7k! Completely pointless, but you know, who needs money for a deposit to buy their first home by selling their first car anyway.......😔

• Sad 3