1.5 SEL first gear issue.

Janner74

Hi.

I have a Skoda Octavia 1.5 with the same problem regardless of engine temperature.

The car was bought in Finland, now there is a mileage of 4050km. I'm tired of the kangaroo!

Dealer, representative office, Skoda info - they all just make promises. This may last forever until we lose the warranty.

I decided to try to integrate people with the same problem together, perhaps this will give us the advantage and leverage.

Form to fill:

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSe7vQ5F_JcVY3DVz9MgouVm80nkVfO011K-YPYMIVxX3_HrKw/viewform

Response database:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Rcxk0Ap9gKeFd6UWN2vPmEaPtR106eyZ0sOHSDGW8E4/edit?usp=sharing

Perhaps this form will not gather a lot of people, but at least we need to try.

• Like 3

Just been to my local dealer as the fuel flap decided not to open.

Technician was very helpful and quickly freed the offending part

so I took the opportunity to ask for an update on the fix for the kangaroo/engine dying issue.   He seemed  very keen to discuss it which took me by surprise somewhat having previously experienced a reluctance to do so.

He revealed nothing new but it was refreshing to hear that VW had now accepted the fact that the former “characteristic” needs a resolution. He said  the issue is worldwide and is causing VW some concern (Yipeee!!! I hope it is) and they’re now working “flat out” to create a  fix which he thinks will be a software upgrade.

He was unaware of the cause due to the factory are being very “tight lipped” I bet they are!

• Like 2

I understand that there will be a write up on the "problems" and it will be in the April issue of What Car?'s Askwhatcar pages and online in around 3-4 weeks. 

It will be interesting to see what is actually put in print.

• Like 2

very “quickly” they decided to confirm the problem.

almost a year has passed and it’s not known how long it will continue... :(

do you also accelerate on the second and third gear by itself, and do not brake the car with an engine? (Like if it's automatic gear box)

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, kifir said:

very “quickly” they decided to confirm the problem.

almost a year has passed and it’s not known how long it will continue... :(

do you also accelerate on the second and third gear by itself, and do not brake the car with an engine? (Like if it's automatic gear box)

I don’t have a problem with the car accelerating by itself but yes there is very little engine braking but i’m Ok with that now after 8 months. 

35 minutes ago, AMC150 said:

I don’t have a problem with the car accelerating by itself but yes there is very little engine braking but i’m Ok with that now after 8 months. 

My car on 2, 3 gear sometimes accelerates and does not slow down with engine. 

And when I start on 1 gear (before kengoroo), I can't feel the gas - sometimes rpm jump up by itself sometimes not. 

It's disgusting, driving on a car every time is unpredictable, already 4 months and 4100km I can not drive normally

Interestingly, is this all related to one problem in the firmware or did I buy a bucket ?!

P.S.: 

What do you think, is it worth trying to connect people with a kangaroo in the form that was placed above. Or is it meaningless ?!

2 hours ago, AMC150 said:

Just been to my local dealer as the fuel flap decided not to open.

Technician was very helpful and quickly freed the offending part

so I took the opportunity to ask for an update on the fix for the kangaroo/engine dying issue.   He seemed  very keen to discuss it which took me by surprise somewhat having previously experienced a reluctance to do so.

He revealed nothing new but it was refreshing to hear that VW had now accepted the fact that the former “characteristic” needs a resolution. He said  the issue is worldwide and is causing VW some concern (Yipeee!!! I hope it is) and they’re now working “flat out” to create a  fix which he thinks will be a software upgrade.

He was unaware of the cause due to the factory are being very “tight lipped” I bet they are!

And still they are selling defective cars! The fix won't be too bad for them if all it takes is a software upgrade but if there is hardware involved as well they are making the situation worse for themselves as each week goes by and more cars are supplied.

If as suspected the fault is due to the software controlling the engine in order to meet the WLVT regulations it's amazing that the operation of the engine when pulling away is so compromised as that takes up quite a small amount of the overall running time (apart from when in traffic but that's when the stop/start benefits), I'd have thought that once moving would have the most impact on the emmissions. Perhaps it does and the kangarooing is a result of having to run the engine so close to the edge?  

Hence why it is taking them such a long time to come up with a fix. They need one set of parameters for pulling away and slow speed and another for the rest of the time. Given their experience prior to dieselgate you'd have thought they'd have no trouble coming up with a solution!  

Edited by VAGCF

My bet is its a big blunder in the engine design. Lack of edge testing missed the problem, probably too busy scrabbling to run away from dieselgate and too many novice designers involved after the mass exodus of the old brigade.

Not going to be really fixable without a Gen2 design being quietly slipped out.

Secrecy and denial is on the level of the cheat device scandal which speaks volumes.

The software fix will be a kludge....roll on April 1 (Q2)

• Like 1

That all is only about WLTP, RDE and NOx ...

Hard to say if any engine ECU software update solving this jerkiness can be released within the homologation it got,

Karoq itself has now 3 versions of ECU, latest avalable ECU updates for DADA engine for Skoda brand are mentioned below

Kar ECU
05E906018P    DS9+G0K, G1C+TJ7+7MV
05E906018R    DS9+G0K, G1C+TJ7+7CP from 30.7.2018
05E906018S    DS9+G1D+TJ7+7CP from 26.11.2018

PR-code

TJ7    GMO     (4-cylinder SI engine 1.5 l unit 05E.A)
DS9    MOT     (4-cylinder SI engine 1.5 l/110 kW TSI MV base engine is TJ7)
G0K    GSP      (6-speed manual transmission)
G1C    GSP      (7-speed automatic transmission)
G1D    GSP      (7-speed automatic transmission for four-wheel drive)
7MV    AGM     (Emission standard EU6 ZD/E/F)
7CP     AGM     (Emission standard EU6 AG/H/I)
7CS     AGM      (Emission standard EU6 BG/H/I)

Flashdaten_Skoda_20190129
05E906018A_5471   DADA OIII
05E906018A_6019   DADA OIII
05E906018AF_7176   DADA Kod
05E906018P_5472  DADA Kar
05E906018P_6020  DADA Kar

just as reference

Kod ECU
05E906018AF    DS9+G0K, G1C+TJ7+7CP

SupIII ECU
05E906018C    DS9+G0K+TJ7+7CP

OIII ECU
05E906018A     DS9,TJ7+G0K, G1C+7MV till 1.10.2018
05E906018BH     DS9+G0K, G1C+TJ7+7MV  from 1.10.2018
05E906018AL      DS9+G0K, G1C+TJ7+7CP, 7CS   from 30.7.2018

• Like 1

Hi.

My karoq 1.5 sel manual as the same fault.

Poor set off in first gear, some times kangaroos, also if coming up to a roundabout the coast is clear in 2nd gear it just sometimes flat spots with no power when you want to accelerate. 

In with dealer on the 22nd feb.

Is skoda aware of this fault..??

8 minutes ago, Armeg1 said:

Hi.

My karoq 1.5 sel manual as the same fault.

Poor set off in first gear, some times kangaroos, also if coming up to a roundabout the coast is clear in 2nd gear it just sometimes flat spots with no power when you want to accelerate. 

In with dealer on the 22nd feb.

Is skoda aware of this fault..??

Oh yes they are!!!!

Have a look back through this thread.

You are not alone.

12 minutes ago, Kodiaqman said:

Does anyone have an idea why the kangaroos appear in 1st gear predominantly, but I have never heard of it happening in reverse gear?

It's been discussed a couple of times at least. The emissions test cycles (to the best of my knowledge) don't include any reverse gear action. So only when forward gears are selected will the compromise between driveability and tailpipe emissions be 'stressed' by the strictness of the emissions limits.

When reverse gear is selected, driveability can be enhanced without compliance penalty. i.e. a different set of map parameters can be used.

Just an idea, based on the hypothesis that this is all about WLTP etc.

Edited by Wino
  • Thanks 1

VW has admitted that the delay to comply with WLTP standards is a a result of the lack of head engineers. Engineers they let go after the dieselgate scandal.

So my assumption is that the delay to solve the kangaroo problem has to do with the same shortage in highly qualified staff!

4 minutes ago, fidelio said:

VW has admitted that the delay to comply with WLTP standards is a a result of the lack of head engineers. Engineers they let go after the dieselgate scandal.

So my assumption is that the delay to solve the kangaroo problem has to do with the same shortage in highly qualified staff!

Would they be the engineers that kept their mouths shut and got paid handsomely to leave?

1 hour ago, Wino said:

It's been discussed a couple of times at least. The emissions test cycles (to the best of my knowledge) don't include any reverse gear action. So only when forward gears are selected will the compromise between driveability and tailpipe emissions be 'stressed' by the strictness of the emissions limits.

When reverse gear is selected, driveability can be enhanced without compliance penalty. i.e. a different set of map parameters can be used.

Just an idea, based on the hypothesis that this is all about WLTP etc.

That's why we should be able to dismiss the mechanical flaw, which would affect reverse driving as well.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, agedbriar said:

That's why we should be able to dismiss the mechanical flaw, which would affect reverse driving as well.

No-one accelerates away in reverse as you would going forward intending to go up to 2nd. Most will just edge slowly back in reverse, possibly not even touching the throttle pedal.

So I attach no significance to this biased observation.

16 minutes ago, xman said:

No-one accelerates away in reverse as you would going forward intending to go up to 2nd. Most will just edge slowly back in reverse, possibly not even touching the throttle pedal.

Possibly wrong, perhaps overly optimistic, but biased ?

What happens if you accelerate in reverse on purpose, just to test?

Edited by agedbriar

8 minutes ago, agedbriar said:

Possibly wrong, perhaps overly optimistic, but in what way biased?

What happens if you accelerate in reverse on purpose, just to test?

So someone who clearly has the problem in forward gears, should try it seriously and report. Not manoeuvring backwards but accelerating as they would moving forward.

There is also the issue of weight transfer, accelerating forward lifts the front of the car as weight is momentarily transferred to the rear. Accelerating backwards has the opposite effect. Effects the way engine traction behaves.;

The engine also tilts under power and lifts back when power is reduced, but always it the same direction regardless whether moving forward/backward.

If they can't come up with a software fix in over a year, then its clear to me its something more than bad mapping.

52 minutes ago, xman said:

I kangaroo in first but not in reverse, not biased, fact. 

• Thanks 1

Mine's the same, all good in reverse. i tried it already several times, accelerating on an empty road just for test and there is no hesitation regardeless how you use the clutch.

• Thanks 1

In that case must be software - surely they should have sorted this by now then. Very poor from VAG given the importance of this engine to the group and the volume of these engines in the marketplace and of course the poor old punter that had to drive them every day.......will VW ever learn?

Edited by Kodiaqman

I'm afraid there are legal restrictions that prevent VW from simply increasing the engine's fuel consumption by general software update on vehicles sold with a "lean" WLTP certficate?

Edited by agedbriar