1.5 SEL first gear issue.

Janner74

1 hour ago, Roottootemoot said:

Are these engines being exported with the WLTP / RDE certification but different software and emssions?

To where the 'Worldwide Harmonised Light Vehicle Test' result are not important and are just ignored if they are not acheived.

I was in Ukraine this Spring. They have just Karoq with 1.5tsi. And any owners and any diller have not heard about any kangaroo. 

It can be assumed that Karoq have firmware which does “give a damn” about emissions.

Edited by kifir
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Roottootemoot said:

Ukraine is not Russia

Thanks for that. 

So many people there care about word, ecology and emissions, but legs grow from a government that cares nothing in this world. Which subsequently relaxes manufacturers and sellers.

All what I found about Karoq on ukr website, it is CO2 start from 125. In Finland from 153. 
Very strange.

43836EFD-91F7-4F23-986E-84379E5DA8E5.png

4E38C496-F960-4848-A503-D5B30991CB94.jpeg

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

2018 Karoq in the garage today and updated with “TPI 2050744/11”. Definitely feels different, smoother I think, but can’t quite explain it yet. 

Had a weird issue when put in reverse to go onto driveway where I brought the clutch up and it just didn’t move until I dipped the clutch again. Weird. Not convinced yet. Will see how it goes!
Edited by solarfusion
Clicked submit too soon!

Took my May '19 reg Karoq SEL 1.5tsi manual in to a different dealership to my own in order to be checked after the 24EV A-Engine control unit recall. Still experiencing a slight roo (better than it was) & not picking up in 2nd gear, (same as before).

They advised they have road tested & run diagnostics but have not found any faults and could not replicate the issues. (No surprise there!).

Have been given a June '19 reg Octavia SEL 1.5tsi manual as a loan car, same engine as Karoq. This drives totally different. No problem in 2nd. How do they explain that?

It's been a month and a few thousand miles since I got the latest update for my manual 1.5 Tsi Karoq & all is still good. 

No kangarooing or powerloss issues (tested with starts down to 2 deg C). 

The car is fixed & thank you to Skoda UK for the good customer service. 

• Thanks 1

Took 12/2018 reg Octavia 1.5 TSI ACT Manual for service, described the issue of 1st gear jerking and slugish response. They said software update is available and installed in 10/2019. Didn't notice any improvement.. still jerking in 1st and 2nd gears, and new problem came up with 6th gear on highway at 130 km/h engine sounds like its under 5k revs and rev meter shows ~3k revs... Driving up to 150 km/h moves the revs very slightly from ~3k to ~3.2k. Not sure if it is consistent.

• 4 weeks later...

My Octavia my18, which always jerking and which the firmware did not help (it got better but did not help). 
Now has become practical perfect. 
I suspect that the reason was the frost that came.  The A/C is always off and the car does not jerking (only very rarely). 
In warm weather, RPM is usually close to 1000. Now they are almost always 800.

It doesn’t change anything; it really looks like a problem with the alternator.  And once again proves that the problem is not completely solved.

PS.: 3000km after update. Total mileage 18500km. Or is the used gearbox no longer so sensitive? (Still hope the car ever gets normal)

PPS.: I am sure that there will be no more firmware.  They are sure that the work is completed.

Edited by kifir

• 2 weeks later...
On 24/11/2019 at 10:48, kifir said:

My Octavia my18, which always jerking and which the firmware did not help (it got better but did not help). 
Now has become practical perfect. 
I suspect that the reason was the frost that came.  The A/C is always off and the car does not jerking (only very rarely). 

Yeah, I have the same feeling. Frosty weather came and the car is behaving much better than on normal temps, which is weird.

I also noticed that the response when there is significant load on the engine when starting is much nicer. Ie 5 people in car starting on a slope is so smooth.

7 minutes ago, HueHueF said:

Yeah, I have the same feeling. Frosty weather came and the car is behaving much better than on normal temps, which is weird.

I also noticed that the response when there is significant load on the engine when starting is much nicer. Ie 5 people in car starting on a slope is so smooth.

It looks like A/C is off. Because usually car have 900-1000rpm, now normal is 800rpm.

And what else did I notice, if turn on the DVR, the kangaroo returns o_O.  This is strange, since its consumption is scanty.

If I leave DVR at night (parking mode), the car terribly jerking all day. 
It looks like the battery is discharged and the alternator is hard to work, but why doesn't the kangaroo go away after long trips ?!

How much km you already have after software update?

6 minutes ago, kifir said:

How much km you already have after software update?

Around 2000, and it is improving for sure, but still jerky. Also I'm getting more used to it, and compensating for previous bad experience is going away. Total km is ~16500

I've recently had a complete change of the infotainment system HW (some low voltage indication) and front headlights were cracked inside the hood (was replaced under warranty, likely they know what's causing it.. maybe over-tightening of fasteners)

@HueHueF

I doubt that the problem will disappear with mileage.  (In my case, 2300km (of 18000km) after the upgrade).

I also doubt that the DVR can be the cause of the kangaroo. 
But to buy a new car and not be able to use their devices because car have some problems, this is absurd 😞 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Is everyone's 1.5TSI sorted now? It's gone quiet on here...

I've just had information to say an update is available for my July registered Ateca 1.5TSI manual. I've been waiting (and complaining to dealer, SEAT and VWFS) since a week after we picked it up brand new.

I'll be interested to see if this sorts it.

Well my Karoq has performed very well since the update apart from a wheel baring giving up the ghost,(under 4000 miles on clock) wonder why? Never happened to me before in all my years of motoring. So to answer your question. Yes! 

3 hours ago, JakeB1941 said:

Well my Karoq has performed very well since the update apart from a wheel baring giving up the ghost,(under 4000 miles on clock) wonder why? Never happened to me before in all my years of motoring. So to answer your question. Yes! 

My Karoq (I think similar era to Jake's) is also running pretty well with occasionally some slight 'bumps' during take-off in first gear. A couple of evenings ago, the car did its old 'dying at a junction' trick; I had pulled up before entering a roundabout and, when I pulled onto the roundabout, it stuttered, staggered and stopped ......... I had forgotten to disable the stop/start when I set off from home. I have a feeling that part of the problem may be that just when I was wanting to pull onto the roundabout, the auto-stop/start was deciding to stop - add into the equation that there has to be a small drag on the auto-brake to release it and I was on a slight uphill slope.

I only once experienced a wheel-bearing problem - that was on a 10yr old Ford Focus that had done 91,000 miles - both rear-wheel bearings were replaced. Something is definitely wrong when a bearing has be replaced at <4k miles. I trust this was repaired under warranty.