1.5 SEL first gear issue.

Janner74

31 minutes ago, Berisford said:

Well, not only has post gone but the advert on FB has too......perhaps the fact that Skoda had what looked like a Kodiaq with a Karoq plate on it at the head of the advert might have been the reason. I could be wrong, they look so similar.

*Does anyone else think that red motor (it can been seen in Silver1011's post above) is a Bear not a Karoq?

It’s definitely a Kodiaq

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Berisford said:

I think it's been pulled off FB.....I had a good look around this a.m. as I posted a critical comment last evening and wanted to see if there had been any response.

silver1011; I don't think you have to 'like' to get pestered, simply showing an interest on the Skoda page was all it took for FB ads to start appearing on my timeline.

If there's anything that you want to hang on to ...... but think might disappear - take a screenshot. I took one earlier of this post, but I bet it's gone already ......... anyone here recognise it? As I understand it, it was written in response to someone who had tried to get hold of a 1.5 Karoq, but was having difficulties ........... has this engine been pulled???

"I bought a 1.5 tsi Karoq Edition in June and the engine has a common fault on it which I assume is the reason why you can't buy one. You can't get the problem fixed either, you just get fobbed off with lame excuses and no fix date! SKODA fix the problem, you should be able to design an engine in 6 months, let alone fix a minor problem!!"

It was posted by a B.C.

If the gates were opened with a little national publicity (You & Yours, Watchdog etc), then I think there would be a flood of complaints along with more dreadful publicity for VW Group..

Edited by ColinD
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, StEdmund said:

If there's anything that you want to hang on to ...... but think might disappear - take a screenshot. I took one earlier of this post, but I bet it's gone already ......... anyone here recognise it? As I understand it, it was written in response to someone who had tried to get hold of a 1.5 Karoq, but was having difficulties ........... has this engine been pulled???

"I bought a 1.5 tsi Karoq Edition in June and the engine has a common fault on it which I assume is the reason why you can't buy one. You can't get the problem fixed either, you just get fobbed off with lame excuses and no fix date! SKODA fix the problem, you should be able to design an engine in 6 months, let alone fix a minor problem!!"

It was posted by a B.C.

The OP might have decided to remove the posting and deleted it.

Edited by ColinD

59 minutes ago, StEdmund said:

"The OP might have decided to remove the posting and deleted it."

Yes ....... but why would they want to do that?

Well - I have no idea. Maybe 'xxx' is a dealership he doesn't want to upset just yet. And people just change their minds sometimes.

Edited by ColinD
Personal name removed

"Well - I have no idea. Maybe 'xxx' is a dealership he doesn't want to upset just yet. And people just change their minds sometimes."

'xxx' appears to be an individual wanting to buy a 1.5tsi Karoq

I doubt that B.C. (the O.P) would change his mind about issues with a Karoq that he'd owned since June .......... though I suppose it may have spontaneously combusted overnight, and he no longer had a problem.

Edited by ColinD
Personal Name details removed.
  • Like 1

You could not buy Models in a spec being discontinued.

There were 1.5 TSI Manual or DSG's that were Euro 6 EU tested and models of 1.5 TSI Manual or DSG being WLTP Certificated and then available to buy in New Specs, 

MY19 models.

The 1.5 TSI manuals and DSG are not discontinued and can be bought.   There is lots of mis-information being put on 'Social Media'  about just how widespread 'issues' are as many cars have no issues or driver / owners reporting issues.

In the coming year there might well be more choices in different World Regions of 1.5 TSI's in different specs.

They are not being discontinued any time soon as there are not many Petrol engines VW Group can use. 1.0TSI or 2.0TSI being it.

Edited by Skoffski

"There is lots of mis-information being put on 'Social Media'  about just how widespread 'issues' are as many cars have no issues or driver / owners reporting issues."

I don't doubt that there is mis-information - but this could be stopped immediately if Skoda/VW Group would come clean and tell us the truth - only they know the true figures involved. Maybe something like 4 out of 5 Karoq owners would tell you that their car is the greatest thing since sliced bread ......... and then you ask if it's petrol or diesel ........ or if it's manual or DSG ......... or if it's the 1.0L. Those factors alone are sufficient to totally confuse the average Facebook user. The 1.5L issue is sufficiently widespread for Honest John to mention it in reviews of the VW T-Roc and the Seat Arona - I don't doubt that the Karoq will soon get an honourable mention.

As I've said before, the Karoq is a relatively recent introduction - how many owners/drivers are simply blaming their driving rather than a fault with the car? And, as far as I'm concerned, my Karoq is brilliant in every other respect.

• Like 1

I'm with you StEdmund on this regarding the numbers concerned. Once it gets out as general knowledge then other owners will not be happy with dealers fobbing them off that there is a fix being worked on. When I complained about mine I was told that a fix might come through in a week or two !!!!. Not knowing the "issue" at the time, that was over two months ago. It was only after a month of "no updates yet" that I started to research the FAULT.

What really annoys me is that this was a known fault at dealer level when I bought mine, the car engine must have been cold at some time during the PDI and yet they still sold it to an unsuspecting customer (me) knowing full well that it was FAULTY.

Skoda have managed to attract buyers like myself from other makes, mainly VWAG in my case, and like many others, I think the Karoq is great but for this FAULT and because of this, I will not ever buy another Skoda again.

• Like 3

Agree totally with R1200R on this.  Dictionary definition of a fault = "an unattractive or unsatisfactory feature".  Skoda can call the issues whatever they like. A car that car kangaroos and loses power is potentially dangerous. We have had v scarey moments!! Even if we are the only customers who have had these problems (which we are obviously not) we should not have been sold this car without being informed of  inherent 'characteristics. We have point blank refused to drive this car!  And still nothing in writing to say car is 100% safe to drive!!! 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, LittleOwl said:

Agree totally with R1200R on this.  Dictionary definition of a fault = "an unattractive or unsatisfactory feature".  Skoda can call the issues whatever they like. A car that car kangaroos and loses power is potentially dangerous. We have had v scarey moments!! Even if we are the only customers who have had these problems (which we are obviously not) we should not have been sold this car without being informed of  inherent 'characteristics. We have point blank refused to drive this car!  And still nothing in writing to say car is 100% safe to drive!!! 

The problem seems to be that the majority of complaints relate to 1.5 TSI manual cars and as such owners come on to this forum to complain quite rightly that the new cars that they have been sold are not fit for purpose and Skoda/VAG group should be trying to do all they can to placate any customers suffering issues and not say its a characteristic of this engine, no it is not its a design fault and should be subject to a recall. I have the previous generation 1.4TSI ACT engine in my Tiguan and its superb, like many posters on here I believe that Skoda/VAG are worried that by admitting that there is a problem it will be another diesel gate so they are doing all they can in damage limitation, I know we have forum members all over the UK and some parts of the EU but I think that any members that can reasonably get to Milton Keynes where Skoda UK has its office and bombard their Management with complaints in person maybe in the way of a group meet should think of doing this. Its all very well taking to Twitter, Facebook and any other popular media platform but a show of strength by all disgruntled customers would certainly gain some traction. It would be even better if the local MK press were to be pre-warned, the motoring press would be a waste of time as most of them are well looked after by the Motor Companies so don't have an axe to grind.

Just my thoughts as I tried to buy an Edition back in August but was cancelled then WLTP and after being messed about I looked around and  I now take delivery of a Volvo XC60 T5 next week.

• Like 1

VW Group have never yet admitted to the thousands of duff engines they manufacturer and sold globally in VW, Audi, Skoda and SEAT models.

2009-2012, then the engines discontinued.  That was over 20% with issues, failures, updates and replaced part and software update.

Then from 2012-2014 the issues were less but still happening and even replaced CAVE engines failed and the CTHE's.

http://onlyrevo.com/support/sales/14tsi-twincharger-engine-issues

Vorsprung durch technik.     Never underestimate their ability to ignore lemons they build with Fundamental Design, Manufacturing, Materials / components or software issues.

• Like 1

As soon as NYD is out of the way, I will be talking to the Trading Standards people about my rights in rejecting a dangerous car. I cannot imagine that Skoda is going to feel too good about returned cars on the forecourts of their dealers.

^^^ They, VW, Skoda, AUDI, SEAT have been putting 'rejected vehicles' back into trade for decades.  

To Dealers as 'Approved Used Cars' or to Auction.  

They are not shy and not easily embarrassed.   They just do not give a Sh!t really. 

They sometimes even have Owners rejecting cars sign confidentiality agreements.

• Like 1

Good luck with that.

An attempt was made to arrange similar with Mk2 Fabia vRS and that came to nothing.

A member did get Skoda UK to bring 3 vehicles and a Display Trailer to Santa Pod and when there i was speaking to people that worked at Skoda Launches and events 

and they had never heard of the issues with the engines in Mk2 vRS Fabia. Also claiming no knowledge of 1.8 & 2.0 TSI issues & oil use.

18 hours ago, Berisford said:

Is this 1.5 problem peculiar to just the UK or do other markets have the same problem?

DSG only here -  no manual option available for either petrol or diesel in New Zealand ( and for your interest no 1L engine either) . Not sure if we have to meet the same emissions standards referred to in this discussion but I am very happy with the 1.5 with DSG box. Plenty of grunt and no hesitation from a standstill. 

Edited by NZPETE
Punctuation
  • Like 1

Disappointing to see that it's also being observed on the Kodiaq now, in DSG form too.

Deliveries of the WLTP approved MY19 1.5 TSI in the Kodiaq only started a few weeks ago in the UK so no complaints here that I've seen, but the German Kodiaq forum linked above is clear, it is just as much of an issue in the Kodiaq as it is in the Karoq.

More pronounced in colder temperatures too. The weather here has been unseasonably mild of late. Buckle down guys, looks like the issue will get worse before it gets better.

At least the WLTP test labs are quieter now, so hopefully Skoda stand by their commitment to deliver a solution via a software update before the end of March 2019.

I hope the solution will be the software.... somehow from what I've read somewhere else on internet will not be as easy. Apparently, within the next two years all of the engines VAG has will be scrapped and replaced by either hybrid or electric. So what they have now is intermediary  - they are really not bothered if couple of thousand people around Europe will get dissappointed. 

As others have reported on here, I too have been informed by Skoda UK that they hope to have a fix for the faulty 1.5L which will be released in the second quarter of 2019. I have now learned from Trading Standards that I have 6 months in which to return faulty goods - the dilemma is that if I wait until the second quarter for the fix - and the fix doesn't work - then I would be out of the 6 month rejection period. The law states that the dealer should be allowed one chance to repair the faulty goods - but, as we all know, there is no 'repair' available at this time. 

So, the dilemma is: should I reject the car now, or gamble on a possible fix (software?) becoming available in the future?

Edited by StEdmund