What have you done to your Superb III today?

15 minutes ago, numskull said:

Can I ask - is it a “dual action” polisher? It takes years of experience to to use a standard orbital polisher without creating mass holograms all over your bodywork. You’ll see them on cars when they’ve been to body shops and an idiot has finished the polishing. If it’s not a DA, I suggest you buy one; they’re not that expensive and plenty of second hand ones available on eBay. 

Yep, it's a mains powered DA. 1500-6400rpm with 150 &130mm dia pads. Cost about £75 from Amazon. I plan to test it on something before I use it on the car. I have an old beer fridge in the garage that could be a good test piece.

Did I reply to you Colin?
Anyway, don’t use the fridge as a test. The paint is not the same as car paint, it’s not designed to be gloss, it has no clear coat and if it’s white you won’t be able to see any results of your efforts. 

@numskull Yes, it’s a Dual Action polisher with a 5 in. backing plate.

You´re absolutely right, regarding experience. Indeed, I had chosen a DA polisher since the random orbital movement is much more ´beginner-friendly’ so to say. ;) 
Of course for my first time, it’s not like a professional detailer result, but I’m quite satisfied with the final result 🙂Only things I did not really recover are the roof bars: ´milky’ stains only 20-30% reduced 😐.

Pics coming soon.

• Like 1

Gawd - you totally misinterpreted that matey; I genuinely thought I had replied to Colin. You’ll note how he didn’t take offence but, oddly, you have? Almost trolling one might say. I have no beef with a single member here and I’ve been around since 2003. Weird huh?  

• Groan 1

2 minutes ago, numskull said:

Gawd - you totally misinterpreted that matey; I genuinely thought I had replied to Colin. You’ll note how he didn’t take offence but, oddly, you have? Almost trolling one might say. I have no beef with a single member here and I’ve been around since 2003. Weird huh?  

Had you just replied with the first sentence I'd have happily apologised for getting the wrong end of the stick.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, numskull said:

Anyway, don’t use the fridge as a test. The paint is not the same as car paint, it’s not designed to be gloss, it has no clear coat and if it’s white you won’t be able to see any results of your efforts. 

That’s true. I thought I could remove a scratch made with a magnet on our previous fridge, using some polish. But since it has no clear coat, I didn’t remove anything even after 20mn hand polishing. It stayed with its scratch for years.

@Colin170CR If you want to make some tests and get experienced, simply go to a car scrapyard, find a bonnet or a door with faded paint and just try.  It’ll be much more efficient and time saving for you. ;) 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ApertureS said:

Or just go outside and wave your polisher around like you’re about to start.

normally at that point a neighbour will swing by and say ‘don’t forget mine next’, ask them to bring it round, that’s a car to practice on and a box of chocolates on your doorstep at Christmas.

I almost said to my neighbour “I’ll do your car next” after I watched her cleaning her car with Cif noooo

10 hours ago, Bap33 said:

Indeed, I had chosen a DA polisher since the random orbital movement is much more ´beginner-friendly’ so to say.

Yep. The vast majority of Pro Detailers use DA’s for all their work, not only due to their inability to introduce holograms, but they are also far less likely to burn through the topcoat if the machine is moving too slowly. 

As promised, some pics of my detailing job these lasts days:

The glossy black door covers, always very scratch sensitive:

Before:

IMG-6147.jpg

After:
IMG-6200.jpg

Top part of the passenger door (it's a LHD ;)):

Before:

IMG-6217.jpg

After:

IMG-6219.jpg

Not very easy to "catch" the swirls with a camera... But these 2 examples are very representative of the improvement.

Other pics with complete view coming soon... ;) 

Edited by Bap33
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, Bap33 said:

As promised, some pics of my detailing job these lasts days:

The glossy black door covers, always very scratch sensitive:

Before:

IMG-6147.jpg

After:
IMG-6200.jpg

Top part of the passenger door (it's a LHD ;)):

Before:

IMG-6217.jpg

After:

IMG-6219.jpg

Not very easy to "catch" the swirls with a camera... But these 2 examples are very representative of the improvement.

Other pics with complete view coming soon... ;) 

Impressive results for a self confessed beginner with a DA. What products did you use? e.g. cutting compound, polish etc.

I'm interested in doing something similar on my car which has swirls & a few bird lime marks.

@Colin170CRI had planned to use Menzerna 1500 to 3500 (I had bought a 1500/2500/300/3500 pack on a french detailing website) depending on the deepness of swirls, but.. I had forgotten them home... 🙃

Then I used my father's products: Meguyars' #83

Besides I used a Hex-logic white pad (heavy cut) from Chemical guys on my DA.

The clear coat is very hard or... Meguyars' #83 and/or my pad not abrasive enough... or swirls very deep. As written above, I've removed only 70-80% of micro-scratches 🤔

But don't be fooled by my pics, the resolution is quite poor, there are still some swirls. I should take better pics of the results. ;) 

But thanks anyway for the feedback. :) 

Edited by Bap33

Edit: that was me posting in frustration. Apparently new struts are only a couple of hundred quid so maybe the car can stay a bit longer. 

Edited by g_tee

16 hours ago, Bap33 said:

@Colin170CRI had planned to use Menzerna 1500 to 3500 (I had bought a 1500/2500/300/3500 pack on a french detailing website) depending on the deepness of swirls, but.. I had forgotten them home... 🙃

The clear coat is very hard or... Meguyars' #83 and/or my pad not abrasive enough... or swirls very deep. As written above, I've removed only 70-80% of micro-scratches 🤔

But don't be fooled by my pics, the resolution is quite poor, there are still some swirls. I should take better pics of the results. ;) 

Are these the swirls that were done by the dealer's car wash?  If so I'd be charging them an arm and a leg to repair.....looks like they washed your car with sand paper instead of the two bucket water and sponge method!!!!

23 hours ago, Bap33 said:

I used a rupes yellow wool pad on mine recently. Needed mostly 2-3 passes to remove wash marks using their own (yellow) fine cut polish. Finished with a soft (white) pad and Uno. Wiped down and then coated with raceglaze ceramic pro. The wool pad removed everything that the lights picked up from all angles. I spent a week and a half in the garage, so I checked each panel quite intensely. I normally use their foam pad, but for some applications their wool pad is absolutely fantastic. Might be worth a try if you want to lift your cut from the 70-80% you achieved. 

C09242C2-E176-4247-9EDA-C42F6264FDC9.jpeg

CEFA6EEF-EEBE-4A40-BA46-0EA309D17C9F.jpeg

• Love it! 1

6 hours ago, UndertheRadar said:

I used a rupes yellow wool pad on mine recently. Needed mostly 2-3 passes to remove wash marks using their own (yellow) fine cut polish. Finished with a soft (white) pad and Uno. Wiped down and then coated with raceglaze ceramic pro. The wool pad removed everything that the lights picked up from all angles. I spent a week and a half in the garage, so I checked each panel quite intensely. I normally use their foam pad, but for some applications their wool pad is absolutely fantastic. Might be worth a try if you want to lift your cut from the 70-80% you achieved. 

C09242C2-E176-4247-9EDA-C42F6264FDC9.jpeg

CEFA6EEF-EEBE-4A40-BA46-0EA309D17C9F.jpeg

Nice job.

I envy the space you have to get a car inside your garage with enough space to work on it under cover. My single attached garage is rammed & has become my workshop. Even if my garage was totally clear it's still not wide enough to get a modern car in it. 

• Thanks 1

Just by means of an update.. Skoda Superb 2.0 sportline plus flappy paddle etc... 

16 months on now, and 8000 dry miles done. Upsides I've added the dtuk tuning box (petrol) and she's absolutely insane at 340bhp, whilst still remaining driveable. Downsides.. id noticed a tiny couple of stonechips on my offside front bonnet and bumper. I booked that in and some **** in a Renault ( no evidence), wiped her nose in a car park, adding more damage. I was incandescent but at least she was already booked in. I'm loving the upgrade from my previous mk 1, 2 and 3 octavia vrs's.

Forgot to add.. Next year is a significant milestone for me,  so I've asked for the Forge Motorsport big brake kit in nearby Gloucester and an awesome gti supplied uprated oil cooler kit as under normal summer driving conditions, I've seen 116 oil temperature....

I’ve never seen 116c oil temp, even when running for 2 hours at 90mph in France in August with the outside temp at 32c. it remained steady at 107c. I have a Racechip GTS Black and XLR Pedal Box, which pushes 330bhp.

What sort of driving were you doing?