What have you done to your Superb III today?

You are a genius sir!

Now I know exactly what I have and what to do, I need to check whether the anti-freeze I bought was G12 or G13 and get my ar5e in gear to replace the low grade off the shelf stuff thats been in a couple of years when I discovered that I had refilled it with plain water 18 months before temporarily and forgotten all about it :sad:

It had gone through 2 winters without any anti-freeze or corrosion protection yet what drained out was clear enough to drink so I am not too concerned about it not having Silkat to date.

Nah, I’m absolutely not a genius in any way. 🤪 All I sought was an alternative to the teabag, which appeared to be safer due to better materials in a better delivery method, which I think the cartridge provides. 

• Like 1

Been dealing with a knocking noise when going over sharp bumps when off the brakes. Turns out the pads are a bit loose - seems like the DBA DB8849XP are made specifically for the Golf R caliper which is cast a bit differently and uses a retaining clip. Is the TRW GDB1918 the correct replacement set of pads for the 340mm rotors? I don't want to start a new thread just to confirm this.

Edited by ZacDaMan72
  • Like 1

Sold mine last month.  

Having had 2 Octy estate petrol vRSs, an Octy Scout and a Citigo, the Superb was top of the list when needing a large family car with some go. 

2018 L&K 272. Bought used approved in September 2022. It had niggles from the off.  Went back to the selling dealer twice and then had several things sorted under the UAW at my local Skoda dealer. 

A stage 1 (c. 350bhp but felt like more) meant a great mix of pace and space, but I never gelled with the car. 

More niggles kept coming and the tracking / alignment never felt quite right despite multiple attempts to fix it.  

Eventually lost patience and it had to go. 

I bought my first Skoda new in 2010. Petrol vRS DSG estate. Kept it for 7 years and 90k miles.  It was bulletproof.  

I think their standards have dropped considerably since, especially around build quality.  Shame. 

Edited by dunc69
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, unclerichy said:

Serviced, MOTd and taxed for another year so I'm £630 quid lighter of pocket again all for the sake of 3000 miles since this time last year. It's a dear do this car ownership lark 🙂

And that's not including the Insurance or fuel!!

I just checked my last MOT year mileage for Dec 2022-2023 = 6,600 which is more than I thought it would be. Mileage for this current year will probably be quite a bit less because we use my wife's EV more as a daily driver now. 

Car ownership is more expensive now than ever before but then, most other things are as well. 

• Like 1

Just a smidge of wiring for me this weekend....

IMG_9583.thumb.JPEG.f66c19f513ff9bed18142c6744324497.JPEGIMG_9579.thumb.JPEG.ac63b53f8353ee6ec777b4023bf7f352.JPEGIMG_9629.thumb.JPEG.e636c5ae8ad7a76fa6db0f95bfce49db.JPEGIMG_9624.thumb.JPEG.f21ff358717aae2ca4a914ade9e754e2.JPEG

Also unrelated but diagnosed my partners DQ200 clutch fault, thats gonna be a fun weekend job for me to look forward to!

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, ApertureS said:

Take a peek 😛

Very commendable dedication to detail not to mention the cost! 

Personally I would be paying someone to remove Lane Assist, not fit it. I have mine turned off permanently. The single most annoying modern car feature IMO. Together with the auto parallel park thingy or whatever they call it, which I have never used in 6 years of of ownership.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Colin170CR said:

Very commendable dedication to detail not to mention the cost! 

Personally I would be paying someone to remove Lane Assist, not fit it. I have mine turned off permanently. The single most annoying modern car feature IMO. Together with the auto parallel park thingy or whatever they call it, which I have never used in 6 years of of ownership.

Likewise, I have had the auto parallel park system on my last 2 cars since 2013 and I have never felt the need to use it so I don't even know if it works, and if I could have ordered the car without it, I would have done so.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, numskull said:

…..but I agree, the lane assist feature is pretty pointless and I never use it. 

Lane Keep Assist (LKA) is a PITA  however LDW (Lane Departure Warning) is mostly less annoying but I don't think we have that do we ?

44 minutes ago, numskull said:

I used the parallel park feature again today. It’s great. Just saying’….😁

How far off the kerb does it leave you? The self-park feature on my previous Merc would leave me anything between 6 - 8" off which, where I live/park, would be the difference between having 1 or 2 wing mirrors the next morning.

Don't have this extra on my SE and happy not to. ( it was fun showing people though )

Edited by Gammyleg
Punctuation.

One of my niggles is that I often need to park with the drivers ( right) side hard up against the kerb - by reversing in. On our other older cars its done by opening the door a few inches and looking down at the kerb for the last bit of fine adjustment.
  The Skoda wont allow me to move if the drivers door is opened/ajar.  Brakes get locked on. Another unhelpful “safety feature” IMO in this situation. 
Rear view camera helps the start of the manoeuvre but no good for the final part.

Edited by Shuggyboatsuperb
Camera added

59 minutes ago, Winston_Woof said:

Lane Keep Assist (LKA) is a PITA  however LDW (Lane Departure Warning) is mostly less annoying but I don't think we have that do we ?

I don't, unless it's part of LKA or the same thing, in which case It's permanently off in mine. Last thing I want is something tugging at my steering wheel or nannying me about the fact I have just crossed a line on a single track road. 

7 minutes ago, Shuggyboatsuperb said:

One of my niggles is that I often need to park with the drivers ( right) side hard up against the kerb - by reversing in. On our other older cars its done by opening the door a few inches and looking down at the kerb for the last bit of fine adjustment.
  The Skoda wont allow me to move if the drivers door is opened/ajar.  Brakes get locked on. Another unhelpful “safety feature” IMO in this situation. 
Rear view camera helps the start of the manoeuvre but no good for the final part.

Can't be doing with any of that type of assistance - although I did fit a rear view camera in my a while ago which I do us in conjunction with my door mirrors. I have found that the cost of 1 or 2 curbed alloy repairs improves your reversing & parking skills no end🤑

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Shuggyboatsuperb said:

Your 2020 car may be different, but while this does happen on my 2016 I can then press the brake button to release the brakes again and carry on with the door open. The manic beeping does continue unabated, though.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, ArisaigDavid said:

Your 2020 car may be different, but while this does happen on my 2016 I can then press the brake button to release the brakes again and carry on with the door open. The manic beeping does continue unabated, though.

I will try that again tomorrow and report back. Thanks.  Sure Ive tried that already - but maybe not. 

Guess you mean the “ auto hold” brake button to the left of the centre console rather than the handbrake?   

48 minutes ago, Shuggyboatsuperb said:

I will try that again tomorrow and report back. Thanks.  Sure Ive tried that already - but maybe not. 

Guess you mean the “ auto hold” brake button to the left of the centre console rather than the handbrake?   

Just love all the tech. May not use it all the time, but always fun when I do. I like the "stick shaker" effect when approaching a lane line. Only problem is the mammoth distance the parallel parking facility leaves.  If there is one piece of tech I do not find useful is in certain Volvos and BMWs where the bloody seat starts to retract as you pull away - very unnerving.

Edited by cmp1951

1 hour ago, Colin170CR said:

I don't, unless it's part of LKA or the same thing, in which case It's permanently off in mine. Last thing I want is something tugging at my steering wheel or nannying me about the fact I have just crossed a line on a single track road. 

That's why I don't like LKA  whereas LDW (as my GF has in her Ioniq and I had in my Ceed[both also had LKA but it got turned off]) simply beeps if you start drifting out of lane

1 minute ago, Winston_Woof said:

That's why I don't like LKA  whereas LDW (as my GF has in her Ioniq and I had in my Ceed[both also had LKA but it got turned off]) simply beeps if you start drifting out of lane

Yep. My wife's Kona EV is similar. Before setting off,

1. Cancel out / confirm all the "safe driving notices"
  2. Change user profile if needed
  3. Turn on Auto Hold (can't be set on permanently)
  4. Turn off LKA / LDW
  5. Select D & Move off while pulling on the LH steering wheel paddle to engage full regen level.

What a faff. Certainly could not be used as a getaway car.🚓🚔

That said I don't mind driving it from time to time. Just can't floor it in the wet or damp as the front tyres will light up so easy. Try as I may I cannot spin up the tyres on my Superb 280, even in the wet.