Infotainment System Restarting endlessly

On 15/08/2022 at 14:17, sneeks said:

I’ve been considering buying a 2021 SE L First Edition but I’ve read a worrying number of reports regarding this issue which are causing me to reconsider.

Don't buy.  I have an early Mk4 Octavia and had a full 12 months of infotainment issues/failures to the point it fails every time I drive the car!  Have 5 or 6 diagnostics at the dealer, 5 or 6 software updates, OCU swap out, airbag control unit replaced (as car completely shut down and electronic brake locked on), replacement clutch and gearbox.  Had the latest software loaded after further diagnostics last week, infotainment faults were back within days.  Car booked in next week for a 5F Unit replacement, as this is the only module that as not been replaced.  

• Sad 1

After almost 3 months of no problems with Infotainment, i had last week restarts by restarts. Guess i will have to call dealer again and to search for a new solution. 

Fix was: Remove USB, turn car off and turn back on. After that everything was back to normal. 

• Like 1

On 20/08/2023 at 22:40, Krle said:

So after one month of perfect running 1941 sw on friday received some ota update. For language and background services. And now multimedia is going on and off constantly, this is much vorse then rebooting. Constant clicking and music going off and on. Nice one Škoda, once again ota update probably f****d up my car.

Just to inform everyone, after this everything is perfect again, maybe extreme temperature caused multimedia overheating. Happened to my other brand of car also, high temperature warning. Extremely happy with 1941 for over two months now🙂

Sorry to ask a question that's answered potentially - but in the UK, has any single person had any success via a dealer in fixing this? I've had this topic pinned since the first month I had the car (March 23) and the poor car has done less than 1500 miles in the last 6 months, but I reckon at least 500 of those miles were spent swearing at it. This week once again my car is restarting as usual. So so many OTA updates in this whole 6 months, never a single one calming this problem down any. In my situation though, the nearest dealer is half an hours drive away on a good run, and I can't get a FOC courtesy car either. I don't want to leave it unreported and undocumented forever, but at the same time, I don't want a dealer fettling the car to get me nowhere, whilst I'm massively inconvenienced in the process having to find a spare car to kick about in. Skoda UK said they cannot help they want me to report into my local dealer, but I don't think to date any dealer has addressed the issue for anybody conclusively? Or did I miss a reply somewhere...

17 minutes ago, thommo41 said:

Sorry to ask a question that's answered potentially - but in the UK, has any single person had any success via a dealer in fixing this? I've had this topic pinned since the first month I had the car (March 23) and the poor car has done less than 1500 miles in the last 6 months, but I reckon at least 500 of those miles were spent swearing at it. This week once again my car is restarting as usual. So so many OTA updates in this whole 6 months, never a single one calming this problem down any. In my situation though, the nearest dealer is half an hours drive away on a good run, and I can't get a FOC courtesy car either. I don't want to leave it unreported and undocumented forever, but at the same time, I don't want a dealer fettling the car to get me nowhere, whilst I'm massively inconvenienced in the process having to find a spare car to kick about in. Skoda UK said they cannot help they want me to report into my local dealer, but I don't think to date any dealer has addressed the issue for anybody conclusively? Or did I miss a reply somewhere...

Short answer: Yes.

My preferred dealer (not my local one) is very good. I called them up, described the issue and they asked if I wanted a courtesy car, which I did. Was booked in for a few weeks on and when I went to drop it off was told by the very knowledgeable receptionist that "... you're not the only one." Also said that the technicians would need to check the VIN to ensure it was compatible. 

When I got it back, was updated to 1941 and not an unexpected reboot since - though there have been a few since with several OTA updates. All that was seven weeks ago.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, dbskomo said:

Please read the topic. The link has been posted several times. 

I had but clearly hadn't gone back enough pages. 

Direct link to the post for anyone else new to this topic. 

1 hour ago, thommo41 said:

Yes, funnily enough I've just returned from the dealer about 30 minutes ago. I was booked in for a service and when I dropped it off I said there were a few 'bugs' I'd like them to look at, note that I intentionally didn't start by saying I wanted a software update. This then lead to a conversation about the infotainment system restarting and the ACC issue which the receptionist seemed to be well aware of and said she thought a software update might be required!. I then produced a printed copy of the TPI document listed on page 12 of this thread with my particular issues highlighted. Long story short they have applied the software update and no issues experienced on the (admittedly very short) 8 mile drive home. They have also sorted the Primary User issue and setup the online services for me. Very happy with the overall service received tbh.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Syndron said:

I had but clearly hadn't gone back enough pages. 

Direct link to the post for anyone else new to this topic. 

How to do it is on page 26 of this thread and must be followed exactly for it to succeed. Namely a formatted USB stick with absolutely nothing on it then just copy the 3 items from your PC/Laptop or Tablet onto the USB stick so there are just 3 items on there. 

If you see my guide and watch the video you should find it very easy to do. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TheWanderer said:

How to do it is on page 26 of this thread and must be followed exactly for it to succeed. Namely a formatted USB stick with absolutely nothing on it then just copy the 3 items from your PC/Laptop or Tablet onto the USB stick so there are just 3 items on there. 

If you see my guide and watch the video you should find it very easy to do. 

I work in IT so that was the easy bit (though your post was beneficial!).

Updated without a hitch around an hour ago with one OTA update afterwards so hopefully no reboots on my commute tomorrow morning!

35 minutes ago, Syndron said:

I work in IT so that was the easy bit (though your post was beneficial!).

Updated without a hitch around an hour ago with one OTA update afterwards so hopefully no reboots on my commute tomorrow morning!

Don't worry about certain things like the built-in manual being missing, you'll get that back over the next few days, with upto 4 updates, that's what I've had so far. 

Find this thread quite late. I've driving my First Edition since 2020 and by and large quite happy with it. But the SOS popping and then crashing  is very annoying. I checked my softward version and it showed 1688! More interestingly, both Display Unit/control panel hardware and software are "Unknown"., but I see above that other people's have numbers and letters.

BTW, I have taken my car to France the last two years, and throughout the 2 weeks there, the system never popped one. Soon after I drove off the ferry at Portsmouth and got on the A3, it popped and the SOS error appeared!

PXL_20230909_092820642.jpg

Edited by Pibo

The SOS click/pop is a separate issue to the s/ware updates. My SEL FE had a replacement SOS unit about two years ago to solve that one. It's been updated by the dealer several times and now on 1941 and that solves the repeated restart issue and made the whole system more responsive.

See if you can get the dealer to update yours too, hopefully still under warranty.

3 hours ago, WiziPok said:

I am kindly asking you to share the link with me the latest FW version for Skoda Octavia 4 (02/2023].

My HW version is H61, firmware version 1900.

I am continuously fighting with infotainment reboot.

With best regards,

WiZi

Scroll this page up, there's a link refering to a posting containing a download link.