Infotainment System Restarting endlessly

An unexpected event happened to me today, while setting up my mobile, and while setting up a music application (Spotify) via Android auto, AndroidAuto stopped responding on my mobile and after a few seconds the sound turned off and Infotainment restarted. I have a bad feeling about it.
It happened today, and it only happened 1 times.
I was unable to recap the status.

Today, unexpectedly and for the second time, came another infotainment reboot version 1941 (HW H61). I feel like I found a similarity with the last reboot.

I suspect the reboot is triggered when the internal modem is lost/moved to a new internet provider in another state.

Today it happened that I crossed a state border within the EU, and the restart occurred after 10 km beyond the border, when the original internet connection provider was no longer in range and was connecting to a new one in a new state.

Do you think switching to another provider in another state might trigger a reboot? It shouldn't ... first the radio turned off, then after 5 seconds the whole system restarted.

The joy of the new FW is already gone

• Like 1

15 hours ago, WiziPok said:

Do you think switching to another provider in another state might trigger a reboot?

December last year I was on a long trip and, when crossed French border, my infotainment got into constant reboot loop until it died completely. Other users on this forum were mentioning that their reboots began in France, too. Personally, I'm always suspecting that reboots are triggered by comms module rather than it is infotainment failing itself.
However, in September I was going to France again and didn't have issues on 1941. Issues came a few days after I came back home for heck knows what reason, but probably infotainment overheated.

On 30/10/2023 at 11:40, TheWanderer said:

Tell your phone to forget your phone and set it up again, just be aware that if you have a VPN installed on your phone, that it's disabled as it causes AA to crash with a Red Screen of Death.

Exactly the same behavior after setting up from scratch. I can do stuff like zoom in/out and select a new destination but I am unable to click any of my shortcuts or click menu button. Unplug and replug bakes it normal again for the next x minutes/hours.

I don't see others with this problem so maybe it is something at my end. Standard Samsung S22, connected via USB-C. Tried other cables. 

I have a funny feeling my AA semi-crashes when something happens on my phone in the background but debugging shows nothing. 

On 31/03/2023 at 14:55, picoutputcls said:

Initially I wondered if something like that might be my issue too, @micko83 but disconnecting all my USB devices and doing a factory reset of the headset made no difference.

How often does it reboot when you’ve had the issue?

For me it’s a continuous reboot, every 3-5mins and then after 3-4 reboots it just crashes out entirely and I’m stuck with a black screen on the touch screen until I force a reset via holding down the power button for several seconds.

In my case, I’ve found nothing makes any difference.

Maybe there can be a few different things which can cause this behaviour?

My Octavia  IV started doing exactly the same yesterday whilst on holiday in France.

I noticed a few folks on here suffering problems whilst abroad, is that just a coincidence or a possible cause.
I managed to get things up and running again by long presses on the ‘on’ switch for the infotainment system which booted it up again over and over again (someone else on this forum suggested that was the way to get it going, thanks it worked).

During one of the many short periods the system was ‘working’ I managed to shut off the “Streaming via integrated data connection (eSIM)” setting. Following that the system started working correctly again. Was it just a coincidence or could the cause of the problems be a fault whereby, for some reason, the system can’t send data out, sees this as an error so shuts itself down. I had just passed through a tunnel when the problem started. Just a thought. 

1 hour ago, Edela said:

December last year I was on a long trip and, when crossed French border, my infotainment got into constant reboot loop until it died completely. Other users on this forum were mentioning that their reboots began in France, too. Personally, I'm always suspecting that reboots are triggered by comms module rather than it is infotainment failing itself.
However, in September I was going to France again and didn't have issues on 1941. Issues came a few days after I came back home for heck knows what reason, but probably infotainment overheated.

I live in France and work in Switzerland: i cross the borderland two times everyday and the cellular network changes the same. I nerver had any problem with country change.  My version is 1804.

I've recently spent 5 weeks in France, no reboot issues crossing the border.

[Off topic - but interestingly the ACC thought I was still in France till I got to about Maidstone when it started working properly again.]

I had a message when I was driving saying the 1941 update was available and I told it to download but when I got home it hadn't updated and there was nothing about the update in settings. Still on 1940.

Edited by mccririck

On 02/11/2023 at 17:25, TheWanderer said:

Just one train of thought. Check your cars WiFi settings and switch off the "Hotspot".

I tried this but unfortunately it made no difference. 

• Sad 1

Got a message on the infotainment screen on Friday that the 1941 OTA update was available. The update started and had reached about 0.5Gb when I parked the car up. I made another couple of short journeys over the weekend and each time the download resumed and got up to about 1Gb. 

Came back to the car this evening and the update was no longer showing as pending. And the SW version was still 1848. 

On a possibly unrelated note on the journey today the sat nav had a bit of a melt down and half way through the drive decided I was about 5 miles from home as opposed to the 30 I actually was. 

Has any one experienced similar or have any idea about when/if the 1941 update will reappear?

• Like 1

Mine has not rebooted since it got it (two weeks now). Fingers crossed. I also feel the lane assist to be in a different state (much improved) but not sure if it has anything to do with the multimedia software.

2 hours ago, MrCat said:

Got a message on the infotainment screen on Friday that the 1941 OTA update was available. The update started and had reached about 0.5Gb when I parked the car up. I made another couple of short journeys over the weekend and each time the download resumed and got up to about 1Gb. 

Came back to the car this evening and the update was no longer showing as pending. And the SW version was still 1848. 

On a possibly unrelated note on the journey today the sat nav had a bit of a melt down and half way through the drive decided I was about 5 miles from home as opposed to the 30 I actually was. 

Has any one experienced similar or have any idea about when/if the 1941 update will reappear?

Just give it time, it's a 9Gb download. On 4G it's going to take quite a few hours to download, even on a 5G link (if it were available) it would take about 30-90 mins to download. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, TheWanderer said:

Just give it time, it's a 9Gb download. On 4G it's going to take quite a few hours to download, even on a 5G link (if it were available) it would take about 30-90 mins to download. 

I appreciate that it will take time to download but that doesn't explain why the update is no longer showing as pending or downloading when it was over the weekend. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, MrCat said:

I appreciate that it will take time to download but that doesn't explain why the update is no longer showing as pending or downloading when it was over the weekend. 

I have experienced the same.

Quick question. My car was in for another issue last week (selection lever), and while it was in I asked them to update the SW to 1941.

When I picked up the car, this had not been done and the dealer tried to tell me these updates are now all OTA and cannot be done directly.

I think this is highly unlikely but wanted to check if other folks had managed to get their dealer to do this update recently?

Cheers for any help. This is in the UK.

9 hours ago, TheWanderer said:

It can't possibly take 30-90 minutes to download 9 gigabytes on a proper 5G connection. Let's say the link is 500 Mbps, then 9 gigabytes would be done in 2 minutes and 24 seconds 😉

Did with mine on my phone, but it was only trickling along even though it said 5G on the phone.

5G in the UK is pretty crap and unless you happen to live near something like the University of Surrey with its Space Labs and Satellite technology centre you're going to get poor speed, at home I don't even get 4G. If I want to pay £49 pcm I can have a 1Gbps U&D Internet connection, which would demolish 9Gb in a matter of seconds. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, TheWanderer said:

f I want to pay £49 pcm I can have a 1Gbps U&D Internet connection, which would demolish 9Gb in a matter of seconds. 

Theoretically, 1 minute 12 seconds 😉

When done through the car, there could be other factors affecting the download speed, such as throttling on the server side (very likely), infotainment purposely throttling the connection depending on licenses, and so on.

Edited by Jorgeminator
  • Like 1